011

Hollowed Bodies
 
011
it, 1.9k words
Under the glare of the flashlight was a gun pointed at them. Jaejoong put his pistol down, guiding his body to stand in front of JinHee as he did so. Yunho saw, and copied his movements, which prompted the rest of the group to follow suit, and step back as the gun pointer said.

 

Jaejoong slipped his hands into Yunho's. It was sweaty and if he held it any looser it would be shaking. He gave it a squeeze and glanced to his side. He looked sickeningly pale, and his eyes were trained forward, like they were when they had debuted and had managed too mess up on stage.

 

“Now, who are you?”

 

Changmin pushed JinHee even further back in the group, stepping in front of her. Jiyeon was beside her and Yoochun in the back.

 

Jaejoong gave Yunho's hand another squeeze to prompt him to speak. Yunho jumped, clearly having already tuned out. “I'm Jung Yunho. This is my group, Kim Jaejoong, Shim Changmin, Park Yoochun, in the back, Jiyeon, and JinHee is the little girl.”

 

A woman about the man's height tapped his shoulder. “Dad.” She whispered. “That's that group I told you about last week. The one that split.”

 

Jaejoong's heart dropped to his stomach. Even in this kind of world they were known like that.

 

“I don't care who they are; they're strangers to me, which means you're in danger.”

 

The woman whined, and shook his arms now. Oddly enough, Jaejoong understood the man's reasoning. He didn't feel at all safe, because JinHee was in danger. JinHee was always in danger now. Not like before, where she was safe next door with her mother. There was always an itch in his brain, constantly making sure JinHee was in his sights and away from any harm.

 

“Sir, we have a kid. She's five years old. I don't want to harm anyone, and I can make sure everyone from my group follows that instruction.”

 

“And how do I know you're not lying? Huh?”

 

The daughter groaned. “Dad. That's Yunho promising it. He won't do anything bad, I promise.”

 

The man shook his head. “And who said anything about them staying? They're not coming with us.”

 

“But dad, it's TVXQ!”

 

The man shushed her. “Those things will hear you.” She mumbled a sorry, and the father turned back to the group. He stared at them. The gun was beginning to shake. “Listen, I don't care who you are, or how good your track record is with strangers. The world's changed now, and I'm not going to risk my family on the basis that your past selves might still be good.”

 

Jaejoong nodded. He trusts that group as much as the father trusts them, at the moment. Even though they had more weapons with them, thanks to Jiyeon, they had the advantage of the darkness on their side.

 

“So you're going to leave, and never come back.” The man adjusted the nozzle to point at Jaejoong. “Or I shoot.”


Dad!

 

Yunho left Jaejoong's hand, and stepped forward to partially cover his lover. “Please, sir. We just need--”

 

Bang.

 

Jaejoong shouted, higher than he thought his voice could go, as he crumpled to the floor. His foot burned. Jaejoong opened his eyes and stared at it. Blood was leaving his body and staining the concrete. He was sure the bullet had hit a bone. A picture of a soulless flashed through his mind and tears poured from his eyes. The bullet itself felt hot, to the point where it was unbearable and he hoped it cauterized the wound, somehow.

 

“Go!” Yunho shoved Jaejoong upwards, but it hurt too much to walk on, and he almost fell to the side.

 

Where was JinHee? Yoochun was on his left, helping him walking with his good leg, and Changmin on the right. He felt Jiyeon behind him, a slim and small hand on his back, keeping him up and moving forward. “JinHee?”

 

“I got her.” Something in his mind vaguely registered that as Yunho's voice. “Just keep walking to the truck.”

 

Jaejoong nodded, but it hurt so much. He heard the chatter, but none of it made sense. It surely sounded like Jiyeon was cursing just about everything in existence. But it didn't even sound like Korean. Where was JinHee? He needed to see her. Jaejoong looked around, his eyes pointed towards the floor. When he didn't spot her, his chest tightened, and tears of a different nature poured out of his eyes. “JinHee?” He needed to see her.

 

“Daddy!” He heard her voice, but where? Behind him.

 

It hurt to turn around. Pain shot up his leg when he twisted his foot. He saw a glimpse of her chubby, small hands reaching out to them. His eyes followed, and saw that Yunho was holding her. He sighed, half smiling when he noticed the tears in Yunho's eyes.

 

Jaejoong left a not-so-secret trail of blood to their camper. Nobody knew how good a soulless' sense of smell was, but they didn't want to stick around to find out.

 

The group heaved Jaejoong into the back of the camper, with Jiyeon on the inside to pull him in and help him onto the one table. She rummaged through the camper's cupboard, bringing out various medical supplies. She tossed Changmin the keys the second she noticed him climbing in. “Changmin, you drive.”

 

Changmin caught them, but stared at Yunho. “Where are we going?”

 

“Anywhere. Just get us out.”

 

Changmin nodded once, and left without hesitation, with a slight slam as he closed the door. A few minutes later the truck was heard starting up and they drove away. Some boxes slid backwards, and Jaejoong had to clench the table to keep from falling.

 

With a flashlight, Jiyeon peeked into the wound. The bullet looked whole, and had hit no arteries or nerves, but there was a piece of bone broken. She was only told that the hospital would take care of any gun wounds, never how to care for them. She sighed, and handed the flashlight to Yunho. “I'm leaving it in there.” Jaejoong whined. “I know, but would you rather have a whole bullet in your foot, or have an infection?”

 

Time flew by. Yunho's usefulness ended at keeping JinHee calm and tear-free as Jiyeon cleaned the blood off and bandaged Jaejoong up.

 

When she was done, JinHee slid off the seat ran to her father. She grabbed his hands with tear-stained cheeks. Jaejoong forced a smile on his face, and brought her into a gigantic hug. She looked up at him with her big, brown eyes. “Are you okay?”

 

The truck screeched, and the group lurched forward. They leaned on their sides as the truck turned a street.

 

Jaejoong nodded, as the truck turned another street. Yunho reached into Jaejoong's hand, happily accepting the warmth of the other. Even though it was a foot wound, he couldn't help but feel relieved to know Jaejoong wouldn't become one of those...things.

 

He couldn't hold back the tears any more and burst into tears. Jiyeon left to clean the blood off her hand the moment she saw them. Jaejoong gave him a kiss on the cheek, squeezing his hand as he did so. It was comforting, but the thought of Jaejoong dying was only half the reason he cried. Yunho felt his body lean against the other's shoulder as more tears came out. He stained the shirt, but Jaejoong didn't seem to mind.

 

Yunho did nothing to stop the tears. Some times there would be a moment of quietness before a memory hit him and he started crying again. He hadn't cried in a long while, and it felt good. At one point, Jaejoong was his hair.

 

Within an hour of leaving the farm, the three were asleep. The camper came to a squeaky halt, and the engine was cut.

 

Jiyeon gathered her things and handed them all a pistol. She hopped out first and fit her bow across her back and chest. Yunho dropped down next, and JinHee jumped down on her own, landing on her hands. She brushed them off, smiling at her father. Yoochun and Jaejoong sat at the edge of the camper to relieve the pressure off their feet.

 

The group was in the middle of the woods, in a half empty parking lot deserted from soulless. The sky was dark with exception to a few stars, and the full moon illuminating the forest that surrounded them. Changmin came around to the back, pistol in hand, and tossed the keys back to Jiyeon. “I saw some movement in the bushes. Keep an eye out.”

 

“Where the hell are we?” Yoochun asked.

 

“Somewhere in the Odaesan National Park.”

 

Yunho shook his head, sighing. “You're terrible.”

 

“What?”

 

“How do you expect Jaejoong to--”

 

“Already forgotten about me?” Yoochun interrupted.

 

“--And Yoochun to walk through the forest?”

 

Changmin had forgotten. He didn't mean to, he just wasn't thinking. “Well, you said anywhere.”

 

“I didn't mean a place like this.”

 

“It's fine. We can manage.” Jaejoong looked over to Yoochun, who nodded.

 

“I'm going to see if I can find any spare gas for the truck. How much is left Changmin?”

 

“Uh, about half a tank I think. I'll come with you.”

 

Yunho turned to Jaejoong and Yoochun once the two were gone. He saw the look Jaejoong was giving him, but decided to ignore it. “I can stay here if you want.”

Jaejoong shook his head, and reached out for Yunho's hand. “No. Go help find gas.” Jaejoong brought Yunho's hands to his lips and kissed them. JinHee made a disgusted face. “We'll be fine. We got weapons ourselves.”

 

Yunho smiled, although a little forced, and pulled Jaejoong into him to give him a kiss on the lips. Yoochun glanced away. They were all used to the cute things Yunho and Jaejoong did, but kissing was a different matter they usually did behind closed doors before this happened.

 

Yunho pulled away, and stretched his body and arm the farther he got.

 

Jiyeon, Changmin, and Yunho searched the parking lot for any gas they could siphon into the truck. A soulless once wandered into the parking lot, and Jiyeon shot it with an arrow. JinHee fell asleep again, and Yoochun volunteered to put her to bed.

 

“Sometimes, I wish this was all a dream.” Jaejoong said when Yoochun sat next to him again, his eyes staring at the concrete.

 

“Why? We're back together again.”

 

“Not Junsu. And we both have an unusable leg, and are probably going to get another one of the group killed. And JinHee has to be raised in this world—without her mother—and, and Yoochun, we're carrying guns.”

 

“We made it this far. We just need to not do stupid things, like trust strangers who are pointing a gun at us.”

 

Jaejoong laughed with a covered mouth. He nudged Yoochun with his body. “Don't say that.”

 

Yoochun grinned. “Well, it's true!”

 

They giggled until Jiyeon shushed them from halfway across the parking lot. They giggled a bit more before shushing each other. Jaejoong turned around to see if JinHee was still asleep. She was calming tucked in the bed in the corner, under a pile of supplies.

 

Eventually the group gave up the search and came back empty handed. They stared at each other until Yunho sighed. “We should all get some rest, and think of something in the morning.”

A/N: <--- If you don't read the story feed, now is a good time to start