012

Hollowed Bodies
 
012
Surprise!
Jaejoong peeked out the window. “I can't see a thing”

 

“Then shut up!” Jiyeon shushed him as she packed her bag for the day. She didn't really think the zombies could hear them through the camper, but she didn't want to test it.

 

Jaejoong chose to ignore her. “It rained last night.”

 

Yunho scrunched his nose up. “It's going to stink out there. Jiyeon, got any masks in here?”

 

Jiyeon gasped and looked up from her packing. She looked around, at everyone's faces. “Damn it! We should have been wearing them from the start. How are we not sick by now?” She rushed to a drawer by the sink and pulled out cotton masks for them to cover their mouth and nose, mumbling about diseases in the process. There were only four. She frowned. “Someone's going to have to just wrap his mouth with an old rag or t-shirt.”

 

“I will.” Yunho raised his hand, glancing away from Jaejoong's foot for a moment and shuffled through his bag for one. Jiyeon nodded and handed the other four to the rest of the members, and looked for a rag to wrap around her face. The rest of the members put on the face mask, with Jaejoong helping JinHee put on hers.

 

I was looking at the map last night, and I found that there was a temple not far from here. I looks open enough to see some soulless coming, and easily defendable.” Yoochun brought out the map to spread it across the table. Various bottle of water and snacks had to be moved from the table.

 

Jiyeon glanced over the map as she zipped up her backpack. Doesn't look too far. Seems at most a half hour hike from here.” She tied a rag around her face, leaving just enough to breath through.

 

JinHee tugged at Jaejoong. “Is there any food? I'm hungry.” Jaejoong pulled out a back of mixed nuts, and allowed her to grab a few handfuls. JinHee ignored the glances on her as she held the end of her shirt out and up to form a pouch to put her food.

 

“Everybody ready? Let's go.” Jiyeon opened the door, bow in hand and quiver around her waist. She could barely see the ground, even though they were only a few feet off the ground. She glanced around, even though it was pointless, and hopped to the ground. Her feet landed on the asphalt, with little noise.

 

The group also glanced around. No staggering figures or dull shapes visible in the thick fog. As they walked farther from the camper, shapes came in to view in the form of cars. Some big, some small. The group hid from one to the other, in case of any surprise attacks. It was dead silent. No walking shapes, no moans, and no whispers while they sneaked across the parking lot and on to the carved path.

 

The fog cleared there after a few dozen steps. Jaejoong finally unclenched his hand from Yunho's. Silently, Yunho slipped his hand back in to Jaejoong's hand second later. They glanced at each other. Yunho looked terrified. Jaejoong knew, he had seen that look only a mere handful of times. It was always when Yunho thought no one was looking.

 

Jaejoong gave a small smile, and pulled Yunho a little closer. JinHee bumped against his leg, causing Jaejoong to look away. She looked up at him with a sheepish look on her face. She dared to eat her nuts now.

 

The group moved silently up the hill. Some parts had steps, some didn't. They were all drenched in sweat fifteen minutes later from the humidity and steep hike.

 

“I can't take it anymore. My leg can't take it anymore, and I'm sure Jaejoong's foot it begging for a break. Look, a bench over there.” Without waiting for a response, Yoochun hobbled over the seats, and plopped himself down. Jaejoong followed, with Yunho and JinHee trailing shortly behind.

 

Yoochun and Jaejoong sat with a groan. JinHee sat between them, the last of her breakfast eaten. Jaejoong pat her head, but stared at his food. He thought he had spotted some red blotches.

 

Yunho knew exactly what he was thinking, and bent down to inspect. After taking off the shoe, Jaejoong's entire sock was covered in blood. It stunk, too, but Yunho didn't let on to that. Changmin and Jiyeon had surrounded him at one point as he slid the sock off. Jiyeon gasped. “Why didn't you say anything, Jaejoong?”

 

“I didn't want to slow the group down.” Jaejoong looked down at Yunho, who let on no emotion. He frowned. He expected anger, at least. No, Yunho said nothing.

 

“I brought extras. Changmin, get them. They should be at the top in my bag.” Yunho began peeling away the wrapping, bloodied and soaked. Changmin did as he asked, pulling out a pack of gauze and various cloths and bandaging tapes. Yunho took them one by one, wordlessly bandaging Jaejoong's foot.

 

Yoochun pouted. “Why does no one check my leg?”

 

“You're a big boy, you can do it yourself.” Jiyeon snickered at him. Yoochun crossed his arms, pout still on his face.

 

Yunho's hands were bloodied by the time he was done bandaging Jaejoong's foot. Jaejoong took them anyway, and pulled him into a kiss. It got Yunho to smile, if only for a second. Changmin gathered the bloodied bandages, and, not knowing what to do with them, threw them into the forest. Jiyeon groaned.

 

Papa, can you open this water?”

 

Jaejoong froze at the word. He was no used to being called that. He regretted telling her for only a moment, as everyone also seemed not used to the word. They will though, Jaejoong assured himself. They all would, soon. Jaejoong took a breath, and nodded. A water bottle was pressed in to his hand, which he then opened and handed back to JinHee.

 

JinHee chugged the water. “Whoa, slow down!” Yunho placed his hand on the water, causing the child to stop, confused. “We need to save the water for later. We're only half way.” He gave her a fake smile, and, after a moment, nodded and closed the water bottle to the best of her ability. Jaejoong made sure it was closed tight before placing it back in her bag.

 

Yunho took off his bag, and handed it to Changmin. He took it without question, but still looked confused. Yunho turned around, his back facing Jaejoong. After a moment, it registered. “Oh, no, Yunho. I'll only tire you out more.”

 

“Please, just get on.” His words sounded strained, and quiet. So, he was angry after all. And scared, and worried. Jaejoong sighed. He knew he had no choice, but just wished that Yunho would talk instead of bossing him around. Slowly, he slid his legs through Yunho's arms. Yunho scoot back a little bit more, and Jaejoong was able to slide the rest of his body on to his back. Yunho grunted as he stood up, glancing back at Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong pat his cheek. “Thank you.”

 

Yunho looked back. “Yoochun?”

 

Yoochun stood up with a groan. “Ready when you are. Though it'd be nice to have a stick.” Changmin picked up one nearby, and handed it to him, smirking. It was snatched from his hand with a glare and frown. It wasn't even tall enough. “Ha ha.” Yoochun tossed the stick back to the floor.

 

They walked the rest of the way at a slightly slower pace. When they got to the bridge of the temple, Jaejoong slid himself off. “I can walk. Let me down.” Yunho did so, reluctantly.

 

Jaejoong winced when he placed his foot. It still hurt, but it wasn't anything he couldn't handle. Yunho held his hand, pulling his arm close to his body. Jaejoong obliged, and leaned on Yunho to help him walk.

 

The white bridge was wide across, with statues of zodiac figures on each of the posts. The group walked slow, observing each statue. JinHee touched the monkey, and poked it's nostrils. She giggled to herself, careful not to giggle too loud. The courtyard was empty, and quiet.

 

The temple ground was large, and spread out. Jiyeon had her bow and arrow ready to shoot any zombies lingering, but nobody saw any. There were no grass, but plenty of shrubbery. The area was open, and one could see any figure coming from any direction. In the front of the main building was a statue, mocking six stories tall, and gated in with a figure statue sitting in front of it. Behind the statues was the main temple, it's walls adorned in red and green. Surrounding the building were smaller rooms, enclosing the temple space.

 

JinHee ran up to the building statue, and climbed under the fence to get closer. She couldn't help but touch it, to feel the rough stone with every crack. She could hardly reach the first “floor.”

 

As the group neared closer, a woman appeared at the doors of the main temple. Jiyeon aimed her bow. She jumped, and held her hands up. “Please don't shoot! You have to save us, those monsters are out here, waiting.” She ran up to them, pleading, not caring for a moment who they were, if she even knew. As she moved closer, it became apparent by her bloody attire that the zombies had infested the temple. “Oh god, don't let them take me. Please, save me!”

 

Jiyeon didn't lower her bow, but she pointed it elsewhere. “Where? Where are they?” Changmin and Yoochun got out their guns, but it only seemed to frighten the temple woman more.

 

“I saw them last night, over behind the main temple.” She pointed to the three smaller buildings in a row, just behind and left of the main temple.

 

“They might have passed already...” Changmin suggested, lowering the gun.

 

The temple woman shook her head, clutching the tissue tighter. “I-I didn't know what to do with the rest of my coworkers. They were so...pale, and-and-” Tears sprung from her eyes, and she wiped them with the tissue. “They offered to seclude themselves. All of them. I don't know what happened. They just told me to lock them in there, and when I opened it this morning they—I don't know what happened.”

 

The group looked at her in pity. “Did they get out?”

 

The temple woman only nodded, for it was all she could do with her tears. Jiyeon stared at the three temples. She spotted some blood. A struggle. The temple woman took a few deep breaths. “Please, you have to help them.”

 

Yoochun sighed. “There's nothing we can do. I'm sorry, but they're gone.”

 

“No, no, they're okay. They can walk, and sure, they're a little pale, but they're fine! Please, just get them back here. I've prepared food for them, they must be hungry.”

 

“They're dead. There's no bringing them back.” Changmin said, his eyes downcast.

 

The temple woman stared at him, until it finally clicked. She stumbled towards him, and gripped his shirt as she repeatedly mumbled the words “No.” She started shaking him, pleading Changmin to help her get them. That they still live and they just need some rest. Changmin, in a fit of anger, pushed her away. The temple woman shouted in hurt, and clutched her arm.

 

Yunho scowled. “Changmin! You can't do that. Or did you already forget who you are?”

 

“Forget who I am? What about you, snuggling up with Jaejoong every chance you get?”

 

“That's different, he--”

 

“To hell with who I am, Yunho. In case you haven't noticed, we're in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. We don't have time to wonder about who knows what and what's expected of us.” Changmin moved in closer, and lowered his voice to an angry whisper. “All that's expected of us is to live. And right now, that woman is crazy. Crazy woman are dangerous, especially so, in a zombie apocalypse.”

 

Jiyeon chimed in, the source of her voice coming from the ground. “You two lovebirds should stop talking, and start worrying about how you want to deal with an infected person.” They all turned around, to see the temple woman's rolled up sleeve. Her arm was blood, but the bone was clearly visible. Jiyeon turned to the temple woman, who still had tears in her eyes, but was equally confused. “They bit you, didn't they?”

A/N: Oooh, boy. Let me start by saying sorry, and surprise! I wasn't planning to cut if off there, but then I remembered how long you guys have been waiting. I bet you forgot, huh? Well, that's okay. So yeah, I'm a terrible person who's kept you waitinf for so long. I WILL be ending it soon, because I realise I cannot keep up with zombie apocalypse stuff. I do have an ending in mind, however, I would like opinons: tell me how you would end it, or what ending would keep you content, and not throw your computer across the room. If you don't comment, you can't complain about the ending. Most likely, I will be ending this in the next two or three chapters. Don't expect a chapter next week, or maybe the week after that.