001

Hollowed Bodies
 
001
God damn it, Jaejoong
“Are the headlights on?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Are they really on?”

 

Yoochun frown. “Yes! Now keep your eyes on the road.” He turned to Junsu “Why did we let him drive?”

 

Junsu shrugged. “His idea to go on this camping trip.”

 

“Hey! It's still daylight!” Jaejoong smiled as he gave a playful slap to Junsu's shoulder.

 

Junsu turned back to the front, and tried playing with the radio. Only static. “They should add more radio towers out here.”

 

“How do they live without radio or TV?”

 

Junsu rolled his eyes, leaning back in his chair, closing his eyes. “I'm pretty sure countryside people have at least a radio. They're not cavemen, Jaejoong.”

 

The hum of the car became louder as silence rose in the car. Yoochun blinked hard, rubbing his eyes away from the white light from his phone. Jaejoong tapped his fingers on the steering wheel, humming to himself.

 

“Maybe they're broken?”

 

Yoochun rolled down his window, blocking out the sound of Jaejoong's wandering thoughts on the headlights. “Are we almost there?”

 

“I don't know, ask Junsu.”

 

“Hey, Junsu...Junsu?” Yoochun leaned forward, pushing on the other's shoulder. “Is he already asleep?”

 

“Junsu! Wake up! It's not time to sleep yet.” Jaejoong glanced away for a second, pushing Junsu.

 

“Keep your eyes on the road. You're driving.” Yoochun unbuckled his seatbelt and slid to the middle, nudging Junsu more. He still didn't wake up.

 

“I know, I know...” Jaejoong obeyed Yoochun for all five seconds before looking back at Junsu.

 

“Watch out!” Jaejoong didn't have time for his brain to process anything. All he knew was that some idiot was standing in the middle of the road. He veered to the side. Blood splattered on the driver's side and smeared across the car. Some of it got in, and splattered across Yoochun.

 

The tires skid off the road, and they flew into the forest and down the hill. The hoot crashed first into a tree. The car bounced back, and rolled on it's side. It tumbled downhill, now completely out of Jaejoong's control.

 

The car hit another tree on the other side of the car before it landed in a shallow lake deep enough to cover the top of the car. Water rushed in through the window and cracks.

 

Yoochun kicked open the bent door, just reaching the surface on the tip of toes. Junsu's head popped up next. “What the happened?”

 

Jaejoong's head broke the surface, gasping for a breath. “Is everyone okay?”

 

“I close my eyes for two seconds. Two ing seconds!” Junsu tread the water, heading for the shore.

 

“Someone was on the road!” Jaejoong's body still trembled from the adrenaline rush, and the cold water wasn't helping.

 

“You should've kept your eyes on them, like I told you. Maybe then we wouldn't be in this mess.”

 

“Oh !” Yoochun and Junsu stopped swimming to turn back to Jaejoong. Only the tip of the hood was visible. “The supplies!”

 

“Come on.” Yoochun swam back, and dove under. The trunk popped open, and the camping items that weren't strapped down floated to the top. The two worked as quick as they could to unstrap their camping supplies.

 

When they came back, Junsu was wringing out his shirt, staring up. “That's a long way up.”

 

The two turned back, and Yoochun let out a long whistle. “What happened to the guard rails?”

 

“Do you really think those measly guard rails will stop a car from falling down a hill?” Junsu went to grab the sleeping bag from Yoochun, but gasped at the large amount of blood surrounding him. “You're leg's cut!”

 

Jaejoong and Yoochun looked down. The sight made Jaejoong run out of the pond, splashing the water on Yoochun and Junsu. Yoochun stared through the water, afraid to get out. Slowly, he lifted it.

 

“That's not a cut, Junsu.” It was a gash that stopped just short of an artery. “Think the metal got to it?”

 

“Most likely. We have stuff to help, but everything is soaked.” Jaejoong crouched down, staring at the leg. “We need to get to the hospital.”

 

Junsu scowled, his feet apart and finger pointing up at the hill. “How? That hill is too tall.”

 

Jaejoong stood up, his fists clenched. “And he'll die if he stays here!”

 

Yoochun stared between the two. The smell of the pond was getting to him, and his leg wasn't getting any better with the three of them dawdling around. “Where are the needles? One of you can just stitch it up.” He gave a half smile in an attempt to calm things down.

 

Jaejoong stared at Yoochun, mouth dangling before staring at the car. “I don't know how to sow human skin!”

 

“I can. Get the box.” Junsu rolled up his sleeves, and stretch out his arm for Yoochun to grab. He latched on as Jaejoong dove into the pond, and hopped his way to the shore for dry land.

 

Yoochun lay on his stomach, grimacing as the pain shot up his leg. The wind blew harsh, shaking the trees and bushes, and bringing more of the smell past them. Yoochun wanted to throw up. By the time Junsu had prepared, Jaejoong came back, and sighed a relief as he opened the red medical box. “Airtight. Everything's dry.”

 

Jaejoong set the things down, searching for a needle. “Who keeps a needle in a medical box?” Jaejoong mumbled to himself before finally finding one in the corner of the box. He handed the needle and peroxide to Junsu.

 

It was slow work. Yoochun groaned and yelped with each prick. He grabbed piles of dirt and gravel, scraping at whatever was under him could distract him from the pain. “Stop moving! You're going to make it worse!” Junsu was halfway done when they heard groans coming from the forest.

 

“Shhh.” Jaejoong looked around, happy to look at anything but blood. The leaves rustled even without the wind and a figure appeared in the distance. “Hey!” Jaejoong shouted. “We need help!” He waved his arms, jumping around. The man only stood there, staring at them.

 

“Almost there. Stop squirming, Yoochun.”

 

“I don't—Ow!—like the feeling of this.”

 

“You're having a needle repeatedly stab you to help you. Of course you don't, now it up.”

 

Yoochun glanced at the area Jaejoong was staring at. “No, not that. Ow! I mean this area. I don't know. Just be careful, Jaejoong.”

 

More rustling, this time closer. A woman this time appeared, breathing audibly. “Hello?” Jaejoong took a step forward.

 

Instead, she lunged at him, tackling him to the ground. Jaejoong screamed out, trying to pry her off.

 

He shoved her off of him, and she fell. Jaejoong scrambled to his feet. Before the lady to stand on her own to feet, he shoved her into the water. The pond water splashed on Yoochun, and he twisted his body to see. Junsu shoved him back down, shaking his head.

 

“I'm almost done, damn it!”

 

“Jaejoong! Grab a stick!” Yoochun shouted, pointed at the trees.

 

Jaejoong scrambled away from the woman emerging from the pond. She smelled horrible. Unfortunately the only nearby sticks available were still on the tree. He resulted to throwing twigs at her.

 

“Done!” Junsu shot up, and started wiggling a branch off the tree as Jaejoong continued to back himself to a tree. “Duck!” Junsu whacked the woman off Jaejoong. Just as she fell, he impaled her eye socket with the sharp end of the branch, again and again until he was sure she wasn't moving. Blood splattered on his face and Jaejoong's clothes.

 

“You just killed her...” Jaejoong's heart raced, and hands still shaking from the adrenaline. “She...looks like a zombie?”

 

“Just as I thought. We need to get out of here” Yoochun was already on his feet, supporting his weight against a tree.

 

“How? That hill is too steep to go up. And considering your injury...Well, it's just a bad idea all around.” Junsu held Yoochun's arm over his shoulder, and Jaejoong held the other one.

 

More growling, and three of them appeared a few yards in the trees. Jaejoong headed to the hill as fast as he could with Yoochun's one-foot bunny hopping. “He can do it. Just think rock climbing.”

 

Yoochun sighed, glancing up. “I can't rock climb.”

 

“You're a fast learner. You can do it. Look, there's a low rock right there.”

 

Jaejoong and Junsu went first, and lifted Yoochun onto some flat surface. They followed the path their car made. Sometimes they would take a break to rest on one of the trees. One of them was horribly bent to the point where they could sit on it and dangle their legs.

 

“Twenty seven.”

 

“What?”

 

Jaejoong pointed below them. “Twenty seven zombies.”

 

“Twenty eight.” Jaejoong and Junsu turned to Yoochun, who then pointed to another zombie enter their view.

 

“Do you think they travel in packs?”

 

Yoochun laughed. “You think they're a pack of animals?”

 

Jaejoong shrugged, and glance down. “Why not? Humans group together. Lions group together.”

 

“We're not lions.”

 

“Well, I don't want to sit here find out. Let's go.” Junsu stood up, brushing off the dirt from his bottom before lifting Yoochun.

 

By the time the trio reached the top, all three had sweat dripping down their faces, spilling onto their shirts. Yoochun was the most out of breath, having to climb that hill with one leg.

 

“Do you think night time is safe? On the shows, it's not safe.” Yoochun said through gasps for breath.

 

“Maybe. We don't know what kind these are.” Jaejoong sighed, pushing his damp hair back off his face. The sweat held it down.

 

They walked the road back. The sun had turned a gradient of purple to pink when a car came to a stop next to them. The window rolled down. “Aren't you that one group that split?”

 

Jaejoong and Junsu glanced at each other before nodding. The man in the truck smiled. “My daughter is a big fan of yours. What happened?”

 

“Car crash.”

 

“Well, get in. Where are you headed?” Junsu opened the door, sliding in first before Jaejoong helped haul Yoochun in.

 

“Hospital.”

 

“No!” Jaejoong closed the door. “We need Yunho and Changmin.”

 

Junsu sighed, staring at the other. “Jaejoong...”

 

“This is happening, and I'm not leaving them again! We're going to the SM building.” The man stared at the trio for a moment before nodding and turning the car around.

 

“Okay. But if I'm driving you all the way to Seoul, the least you can do is give me your autographs.” The man chuckled at the thought of it.  “My daughter's never going to believe me. There should be a pen and paper somewhere in the glove compartment.” Jaejoong opened it, searching for the pen and paper. The space was a mess.

 

Junsu the radio, but it was the same static. “That thing has been gone since yesterday. Don't suppose you know what's happening?”

 

“Zombies.”

 

“What?” The man glanced next to him. Jaejoong had found some paper, but no pen. “Are you really saying zombies are here? On earth?”

 

“Yeah. Pretty sure that's how we got in this mess.” Yoochun didn't dare take his eyes off the road, even though his leg was burning.

 

The driver was silent the rest of the way, apparent that he didn't believe them.

 

Once they entered the city, it was clear none of the zombies had entered the city. Or if they did, it wasn't a big enough threat yet. The sun had set, but the sky was still bright. Jaejoong found the pen just before it disappeared. He gave the driver directions to the SM Entertainment building while Junsu signed the paper.

 

The building came into view ten minutes later. It was hard to miss the mass of teenage fans camping at the front entrance.

 

“Stay here with Yoochun.” Jaejoong's hand gripped the handle, bracing himself for the horde of oncoming questions and pictures.

 

Junsu nodded, watching. The man spoke up before Jaejoong was able to leave. “If this zombie apocalypse is actually real, I'd like to get back to my family.”

 

Yoochun sighed as he rolled his eyes. “Guess we're all going.”

 

Jaejoong nodded before opening the door. Once the fans realized who was at the door, flashes of camera lights went off, blinding the trio. It took forever to get Yoochun out, and when they finally did, they couldn't even get to the building without shoving people out of the way.

 

Junsu kept a tight grip on Yoochun, trying not to stare at the fans and flashing lights. “Careful, Jaejoong. Don't want another scandal like before.”

 

“It's the zombie apocalypse. Who care about manners.” A police car flew by, and they stopped to stare in the direction it was headed. “We should hurry.”

 

Stares were all that greeted them upon entering the building. They did their best to ignore them, placing Yoochun on a nearby seat. “Junsu, go look for better medical supplies. Excuse me, miss?” Jaejoong turned to the woman at the front desk, who was already staring at him. “Where's Yunho and Changmin?”

 

She blinked a few times and typed on her computer. A few seconds later, she looked up. He could of swore she was trying to hide her smile. “Yunho and Changmin are both practicing in the dance room.”

 

Jaejoong nodded, and left Junsu and Yoochun to fend for themselves before they could say anything.

 


 

Junsu raided the cabinets, and grabbed a nearby purse. It was a pretty one, too. Beige with gold handles and a giant gold “S” as a pocket closer. He really should care about whose it was. Some woman was going to walk back in here with her purse gone and it's contents emptied on the counter. Oh well. It was her fault, leaving her purse out in the open. All he needed was medicine. Who knows how long the zombies will stay.

 


 

Jaejoong tripped over his own feet. Luckily there was no one to see him, but he was in too much of a hurry to care. Yunho was here. Changmin was here. And he wasn't leaving until they were both with him.

 

He stood in front door, palms sweating. The door he walked through so many times before. The door he used so many times in the past. And now he was going back in to get the two members he left behind.

 

Jaejoong took a deep breath before shoving the door open. The duo's new song blasted his ears. It was a catchy tune that he shamelessly admitted to his circle of friends. Junsu and Yoochun didn't like it when he did that, though. Before he knew it, he was tapping his fingers against his thigh.

 

Changmin spotted him first in the mirror. The youngest froze, unsure what to do or say. Yunho wasn't far behind to notice something was wrong, and turned around.

 

The three stared at each other. The music was gone, replaced with the hum of the air conditioner. The backup dancers retreated to the wall, leaving the sweaty duo to take the center stage. Jaejoong blinked his tears away as he took a step forward.

 

Neither of the two moved, and Jaejoong took another step forward. How it ached to see them again. It feel like neither wanted him, as they stood there. Staring. Jaejoong took a shaky breath, tears ready to spill onto his cheeks. “Changmin? Yunho?”

A/N: Hah