004

Hollowed Bodies
 
004
Why does no one in the zombie apocalypse utilize bikes?
“You stay over there, and we'll stay over here.”

 

“Yoochun, please. We're all in my house. We're all going to eat at the same table.”

 

Changmin crossed his arms and rolled his eyes. “Oh, please. We all know how stubborn Yoochun can be.”

 

“Guys please.”

 

“ out of it, Jaejoong! I don't know why you're defending those cowards!”

 

Changmin gasped, and snarled at him. “I'm not a coward.”

 

“Yeah. Says the man who's afraid of negative public opinion.”

 

Changmin stomped his foot. “Am not! You shut your mouth before I shut it for you!”

 

“Please, calm down!” Jaejoong tried shouting over them.

 

“You two are acting like children.” Junsu mumbled taking a seat on the sofa. Jaejoong turned and wiped his hands on the rag.

 

“Didn't you get him?” When he shook his head, Jaejoong sighed and took off his apron. “I'll be right back, JinHee.”

 

Junsu jumped up to stop him and shook his head. “I caught him crying. Now's not the best time.”

 

Jaejoong stared at the closed door. He wanted to go in and comfort the other. Find out why he was crying. But he was still mad at him.

 

Jaejoong sighed, his lips, and went back in the kitchen in an attempt to drown out the bickering. They needed to stock up on meals. It might be the last ones they have for a long time.

 

An hour later, Jaejoong had prepared three different meals, along with their dinner. “Who's hungry?” he called out from the kitchen.

 

Yoochun and Junsu were already sitting at the table. Jaejoong and Junsu placed the dishes on the table. Between going back and forth, Jaejoong went and woke up Changmin from the sofa. Yunho still wasn't out, but he pushed the thought to the back of his mind. JinHee first. “Changmin. Food. Time to eat.”

 

Changmin blinked himself away, staring at Jaejoong for a long moment. “So it wasn't a dream.”

 

“What?”

 

“Nothing. Nothing...I'll be right there.” Changmin waved him away, rubbing his face as he sat up. The sight of food on the table made his stomach rumble. Jaejoong sat himself next to JinHee, looking around for foods she could eat.

 

Yoochun glanced up. “JinHee, do you like carrots?”

 

“Carrots?”

 

“These.” Jaejoong held up a baby carrot. She smiled and reached out.

 

“I love carrots!” He handed the carrot to her, smiling as he put a few more on her plate. She chewed with open, spraying carrot bits all over the rest of her food. He'll have to teach her later to chew with closed.

 

“Can I...really sit at the table?” Changmin mumbled, standing at the entrance. Jaejoong and Junsu stopped and looked at him.

 

“Yes, of course.” Jaejoong pulled out the seat next to him. When he turned back to JinHee, she had grabbed herself another carrot. He sighed, and gave her the plate. Then he grabbed his own plate and started serving himself. Changmin, however, was still sitting there. “Well, go on.”

 

The door clicked open, and Yunho came out, staring at the floor. “Can I eat with you?”

 

“Sure. Sit yourself down.” Jaejoong stood up, and grabbed a plate from the kitchen. “Didn't think you'd be joining us.” He said, handing the plate to the other. Yunho said nothing as he took it.

 

“I've been thinking. Ever since we turned the lights off, those soulless have been rather quiet.” Yoochun took a bite of his food.

 

“So you think they're not a threat at night.”

 

Yoochun nodded. “Yeah. It might be the cold, or the lack of light, or maybe a lack of people. We don't really know them. But listen. Quiet.” The only sounds were Yunho grabbing himself food.

 

Changmin smiled. “So we can leave now.”

 

“No. We stick to the plan. Stay here until light, and then we move.”

 

Yoochun groaned. “We don't know what these things are, Junsu. Jaejoong hit one in broad daylight. Or did you forget?”

 

Yunho's head turned to Jaejoong, scowling. “You hit a person? And kept going?”

 

He pouted. “No! It was a soulless. Definitely.” Changmin could see a fight coming up, and to keep them from dragging him in, he stuffed his face with as much food as he could.

 

Yunho sighed and set down his plate. “How do you know that for sure?”

 

“We don't. Now get off my back.” Jaejoong stuck his nose in the air, and turned away from Yunho and towards JinHee.

 

Yoochun sighed. “What I'm saying is, if we're right, we should be planning things for night. Not day.”

 

Changmin stood up. With eyes on him he peeked out the window. “What do you see?” Jaejoong tried sitting straight so he could see too, but Yunho's head was in the way. Changmin gasped and backed away from the windows.

 

“I think of them saw me, but it's alright, I think.” He sat down at his seat again. “I counted seven soulless in the courtyard.”

 

Yoochun smiled. “Then we can leave!”

 

“Yeah, that's the thing. I think their eyes were closed.”

 

“Closed? Were they sleeping?” Changmin only shrugged. Jaejoong sighed, and glanced at Yoochun. “Then we could leave right now.”

 

Junsu crossed his arms. “We don't know that for sure.”

 

“But it's the best choice we've got right now. We're going, whether you like it or not.”

 

“Now is not the time to play games, Jaejoong. This is serious!”

 

“Who said anything about playing games! I'm not playing games. Why do you think I got those two?”

 

 “Now hold up just a second Jaejoong.” Yunho placed a hand on Jaejoong's shoulder, which he promptly shook off. “Junsu's right. We don't know if we should leave right now.”

 

Jaejoong sighed, staring at the wall behind Yoochun. “Then does anyone want to go outside and find out?” Everyone suddenly had food in their mouths. “That's what I thought. Now if you excuse me, I need to make sure I have everything for our trip.”

 

Jaejoong shoved his chair back, causing screeching sounds and scratch marks on the floor. Yunho was the only one didn't watch him leave to his room. As the time passed by, those eyes turned to Junsu. “What?”

 

Changmin got up, collecting plates. “We should take the chance.”

 

Junsu shook his head. “No, no, no. It's too big of a risk.”

 

Yunho glanced up from his plate before Changmin took it. “Give us a few days. Get more supplies. Wait for things to cool down.”

 

“And how much is 'a few'?” Junsu crossed his arms.

 

“Four. Four days, and then we'll leave.” Yunho and Yoochun turned to Junsu, who stared at the table a moment before nodding.

 

“Fine. Four days.”

 

Yoochun scooted back his chair and stood up with some help from the table. “I'll go tell Jaejoong.”

 

Yunho immediately stood, holding up his hands, and Yoochun sighed at being halted. “No, you need to rest. I'll tell him.”

 

“Do you really think he'll take it any better from you? Things aren't the way they used to be. I'll do it.” Yoochun limped away from the table. “You take care of JinHee.”

 

Yunho sighed, watching as the other knocked on the door before coming in. He didn't even know if Jaejoong allowed it, but he didn't come out. He turned to JinHee, who had pushed her plate away and was looking for a way to get out.

 

 

Yoochun sat himself on the bed, watching as the blond paced his room. He occasionally stopped, sometimes with a sigh, and continue pacing. Yoochun sighed, rubbing his temples. “Stop. You're making me dizzy.”

 

“Then don't watch.”

 

“Yunho said we're leaving in four days.” That got him to stop pacing, and stare right at him.

 

“What?”

 

“You heard me. Four days.”

 

Jaejoong's mouth hung open in an offended fashion as he continued to stare at Yoochun. The other raised his palms. “Don't look at me like that. He decided it.”

 

“Well, he can go un-decide that, because I'm not waiting around! He's not the boss of me anymore.”

 

Yoochun squeezed his eyes shut, clenching his jaw. “I know he's not, Jaejoong. We all know. He's thinking about us. Our safety. JinHee. Would you rather go out there in that panic?”

 

They hadn't heard a siren or scream for hours. Jaejoong ran his hands through his air, pulling a little at the ends and headed to the window. “I'm worried about my parents.”

 

Yoochun sat up. “We're all worried about our parents. But rushing out there in a blind panic isn't going to help them. Especially if we're dead.”

 

Jaejoong covered his face, taking shallow breaths. They got shorter and shorter, until he was gasping for breath. He fell to the floor, with a loud ringing in his ear. Someone was talking to him, but he couldn't hear them. His entire body shook and his chest hurt. Is this what a heart attack feels like? He needed to get out.

 

Jaejoong heart was racing; he couldn't calm down. He couldn't even feel anything. Someone was dragging him now. He feared he died, but he can still see! He can hear! More panic, and he flailed his body around to prove he wasn't dead. His skin hit something, and he was dropped. Everything was a blur, even if he focused.

 

Jaejoong scraped back his hair, still hyperventilating. Yunho was now in his face, alarm written on his face. He was going to die and he never even got to say sorry to him. He didn't know how it happened, but he was clenching onto Yunho's shirt. But now it was too hot. It must have been how close the other people were. Jaejoong tried shoving them away, but they just got closer, and now he was freezing.

 

He brought his knees up to his chest, and buried his face in them. Why isn't anyone helping?

 

 

Jaejoong didn't know how long it lasted, but when the ringing sound was gone, Yunho placed he hand on his shoulder. When he looked up, everyone but him was gone. Yunho's eyebrows knit together as he eyes stared at him. “Are you okay?”

 

Jaejoong sniffed, and nodded even though he didn't know if he was. Yunho sighed, giving him a smile as he wiped his face. It was only when his hand moved with Yunho's body that he realised he was clinging on to him. It felt slightly awkward at first, but the warm touch was welcome after so long. “What happened?”

 

“I think you had a panic attack.” Jaejoong wanted to hug him. To thank him for staying beside him. He opened his mouth, but never got the chance to get the words out. Yunho shouted for the other members to come in.

 

He wasn't even finished before Junsu burst in the door. Changmin followed, and after Yoochun swung in with his crutches. Junsu and Yoochun threw themselves at him, bringing him into a tight hug.

 

Yunho sighed, staring at the floor. “Why don't you three get JinHee ready for bed. I need to speak with Jaejoong.” They glanced at one another before nodding and leaving the room, with Junsu making sure to close the door behind him. “Jaejoong...You do know that we're not going to be able to see your parents, right? Any of our parents.”

 

Jaejoong nodded, and hung his head. A sniffle came out. He knew Yunho was right. He always was. But that didn't stop him from wishing he wasn't. He didn't know how his family was doing. Or his sisters. Or his nieces. All he could do was hope they were alive while he beheaded zombies and protected the family that's already with him.

 

Yunho wiped away his tears and pulled him into a hug. Jaejoong let him, now sobbing into his shirt. How pathetic he looked. All he could hear was Yunho's whipsered “I'm sorry”'s.  Jaejoong couldn't even figure out what the poor guy was sorry for.

 

Sometime during the night, Jaejoong had fallen asleep and was moved to his bed. He thought he had developed sleep walking suddenly. Wouldn't be the first odd thing to happen to him. He didn't have to wonder for long, because an inch from his face was Yunho, eyes closed, breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth. Complete with morning breath.

 

Despite how close he was to Yunho before, the proximity was awkward. Jaejoong tried scooting down the bed and out of his arms, but it didn't work. Yunho groaned and tightened his grip. “Five more minutes.”

 

Jaejoong wanted to glare at him and say “Oh well, I need to make sure JinHee's okay.” Instead, he eyes continued to stare at the other. Even with his crusty eyes and the slight droll hanging past his lips, Yunho still looked amazing. Jaejoong never thought he would see that sleeping face again.

 

“J-JinHee...”

 

“Don't worry. Yoo...Yoochun's got her...” Yunho squeezed his grip again, forcing Jaejoong's head back down and into his bare chest. It was too early to think.

 

Jaejoong's head popped off the pillow. “What? You left a five year old girl with a guy whose leg is broken? In a zombie apocalypse?”

 

He shoved the other away, and jumped out of the covers, successfully tripping over the ones on the floor when he tried to exit the bed. He caught himself on the doorknob and swung it open.

 

On the pull-out couch was Changmin and Junsu, with JinHee nestled in between. A used blanket covered the other sofa, but Yoochun was nowhere to be found.

 

Jaejoong called out for Yoochun in a whisper, but got nothing in return. Yunho nudged his side as he yawned. “He's probably cleaning his wound in the bathroom. Since we couldn't get him to a hospital.”

 

“Shut up.” Jaejoong ignored him, and headed towards the bathroom.

 

The leader was right. Their missing member was in his boxers and a t-shirt, with one leg in the tub and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in his hand. Jaejoong sighed a relief, and hugged him. “Thank goodness you're alive.”

 

“Why would I not be?” Yoochun stared at Jaejoong before giving a confused look to Yunho. The man could only offer a “just go with it” look. “Get off me. Can't a man pee without telling four other people?”

 

Jaejoong let go, and glanced at the leg. It still looked disgusting, but not infected. “Let me help.” Without further warning, he jumped in the tub and helped Yoochun clean the wound. Yunho kept a close on on the two as he closed the door.

 

Yoochun stared down, bewildered at the offer. “You don't have too.”

 

“Yes I do. It's my fault you're basically a bag of potatoes now.” Jaejoong pouted and poured the hydrogen peroxide, causing Yoochun to lurch his leg back. He had to hold it down to keep it steady.

 

“What exactly happened? Nobody told me.”

 

“Jaejoong was driving, and Junsu wanted to go to sleep. Me and him tried waking him up, and I even told the idiot to keep his eyes on the road. But, long story short, we hit a zombie and crashed down a hill. Thus, the broken leg.”

 

Yunho sighed, and crossed his arms. “Jaejoong, how many times have we told you to pay attention to what you're doing.”

 

“You don't need to scold me! I already feel bad.” Jaejoong spat back as he kept his eyes focused on the bloody leg. The urge to vomit rose.

 

Yunho stared at the blond hair that he was so familiar with. The head the bobbed up and down for him willingly just a mere few years ago. His heart still raced whenever he retreated to those memories, and it still ached whenever Jaejoong gave him a cold stare. “I'm going back to bed.”

 

“, that burns!” Yoochun yanked his leg back. After the initial burning sensation from the cream passed, a cool wave soothed him. Jaejoong sighed and slathered more of the cream until the door clicked shut. “You should forgive him.”

 

Jaejoong snorted. “If I remember correctly, you were still complaining about them just last week. I'll forgive him when you do.”

 

Yoochun sighed, and stared at Jaejoong as he wrapped the bandages around his leg. “Last week seems like so long ago, Jae. Why weren't we warned?”

 

“Do you know how much of a political storm that could happen if they said zombies were real and happening this very moment?” Jaejoong taped the bandage and made sure it stood in place.

 

Yoochun frowned. “I hate it when you're right.”

 

The two stood awake, chatting in whispers in the kitchen. Within an hour, Changmin, Junsu, and JinHee were awake. Sometime in between them waking, Jaejoong started making breakfast.

 

“JinHee? Breakfast is almost ready. Why don't you set the table.”

 

JinHee bounced up to Jaejoong, taking the plates. “What about Uncle Yunho?”

 

“He'll need all the sleep he can get.” JinHee nodded and set the table. Within a few minutes, Jaejoong's door opened and out came Yunho, looking more bedraggled than before. He sat himself at the head of the table just as Jaejoong was setting the dishes down.

 

“Good morning, everyone.”

 

“Good morning, hyung.” Changmin sat himself next to Yunho. Yunho waited for the others to greet him, but nobody did. "So, Jaejoong. What are we going to do today?"

 

Yunho glared at the younger one. "We're going to find bikes."

 

"I wasn't asking you."

 

Jaejoong glanced behind him for a second and saw the two were having a stare-off. "Bikes sound like a good idea." Jaejoong placed JinHee in her seat, and placed her plate in front. "Once we get bikes, we can go and raid more homes of whoever is gone."

 

Everyone murmured in agreement until Yunho in. "No. We're not raiding homes. We're not criminals."

 

Junsu waved his chopsticks around, looking for a kind of food to eat. "Look around, Yunho. We aren't exactly in a position to not steal."

 

"We either steal, or die. And I'd rather not die." Yoochun helped himself to a large amount of the breakfast they were having.

 

"We can't! What if they come back?" Everyone turned to JinHee. Jaejoong's heart dropped at the sight of her face. How he wished he had her innocent.

 

Jaejoong sighed and got eye level. "JinHee, they're not coming back."

 

"They have to!"

 

Jaejoong shook his head. "I'm afraid not. Whoever those people were before, are not the same people once they're bitten or dead." JinHee hung her head, and silently ate whatever Jaejoong put on her plate. "We'll talk after breakfast."

 

"You can't just tell a little girl that." Changmin whispered in Jaejoong's ear.

 

"She needs to know what's happening. Eat."

 

Yunho glanced around the table as it fell into silence. It was never like this before. "So, Yoochun. How does your leg feel?"

 

"Better. I can walk without the crutches now."

 

"Think you can go out?"

 

Jaejoong's mouth dropped and his foot splattered back onto his plate. "Wait--Who's going to watch JinHee? We can't take her out with us."

 

"Why not?" Junsu looked glanced at the members

 

"Because she's five. She'll just slow us down."

 

Yunho sighed. "Min, stop talking with your mouth full. I'll stay."

 

"Yeah, but even though Yoochun can walk, he'll still just slow us down."

 

Yoochun gave his best "I'm so offended" look. "I can walk just fine."

 

Junsu slammed down his chopsticks. "No you can't. Don't delusion yourself. That's the last thing we need."

 

"Yunho stays to watch JinHee." Jaejoong blew on his coffee before taking a long drink.

 

"Don't take his side just because you have a -filled past together." Now Yoochun was talking with his mouth full and waving his chopsticks. Changmin's face reddened, and he hid his face with an attempt to go back to his food. Jaejoong wasn't as effected.

 

"Our past together has nothing to do with this. I'm sorry Yoochun, but you wouldn't be able to defend JinHee as you would with a non-broken leg. Yunho is just better abled than you."

 

Yoochun sighed. "You're right."

 

"So it's settled then?" Changmin finally spoke up. His head was in his plate the entire time.

 

Junsu burped and leaned back in his seat, having finished his breakfast. "Can we break off into small groups, then? Two and two?"

 

"Why?"

 

"It'll be easier that way. A larger group would just slow us down. Me and Yoochun, and you and Jaejoong."

 

"That's fine. I can grab Yunho's bike when it's just me and Min." Jaejoong stood up, collecting empty plates and storing any leftovers. Changmin got up to help.

 

"I don't like this." Yunho scraped up the rest of his food and offered his plate to be taken.

 

Changmin frowned as he snatched the plate. "Too bad. You already made your decision."

A/N: If I did that panic attack wrong, please tell me your experience. I relied to wikipedia for it.