My Chances

My Rerun

“Oh come on Sunny, you’re crying again?! You’ve been like that since this morning. It’s more than a year and still you can’t move on?!” My best friend Yoona told me.

“Y-you can’t b-blame me. I still l-love him” I managed to say between my sob.

 “I got it, girl…” then she sat beside me and tapped my shoulder gently. “...but if you really love him, you have to set him free, right? Don’t you think it’s about time to let him go as well as that feeling you still have for him?”

“I know and I’m trying... *sob* but I just can’t *sob*

“Do you think you are really trying when you keep on watching that video he had given you as a gift for your 2nd year anniversary? Can you say that you’re trying if until now you still have those cuddly big bears from him when you were sleeping? And are you really trying to let that feeling of yours gone when all I can see are those sweet photographs of you and him all over your room

 “I just missed…*sob* I just missed him. *sob* Please, don’t a-ask me to... *sob* to forget him.” I said while hugging Baozi—the biggest teddy bear he had given me, and also the last one.

“Suuny, I’m not asking you to forget him completely. I just want you to please try to open up your heart again for other man. Xiumin is not the only guy in this planet.” she said while looking directly to me. I can say that she was really worried about me.

“I know *sob* I know that.”

“Of course you know it but you don’t care for that fact.” Then she stood up to reach for a glass of water from my mini fridge.

“Thanks Yoona.” I thanked her after drinking the glass of water she gave me.

“Calm yourself now Sunny, okay?” she said with a comforting smile. I just smiled and nodded in return. I really have to calm myself now. My eyes were hurt from too much crying. I can’t even breathe.

Hay...until now, I am becoming like this whenever I’m reminded about him. I can’t avoid it. I just can’t help it.

What can I do? Can you even blame me for being like this though I knew it’s more than a year ago? I really love him so much. Plus the fact that Xiumin and I were together since childhood and he was the only man I let to invade this heart of mine. Yeah, he’s my first love.

But now… now, he’s no longer beside me. He already left me. And it hurts so bad being left by the one you truly loved with your whole life.

Suddenly Yoona’s phone rang. I think I know who the caller is.

“Yeoboseyo? Ah... oh arasso, I know, bye.” I heard her said to the person on the other line.

“Your Umma?”

“Ah yes, just reminding me to not stay out too late. Well, I need to go home now, Sunny. Just text or call me again tomorrow when you wanted to emote ah? Annyeong.” She waved her hands as she walked out of my room.

Actually, Yoona was here since early this morning. I sent a text message to her to come over. That’s what she wants. She said that I should always ask her to come over whenever I feel this way. She said that she doesn’t want to hear news one day with the headline: ‘A Girl dies because of too much crying’. Yes, I know it’s ridiculous. I mean, is there anything like that before?

But seriously, I’am grateful I have her as a friend.

“Oh? What’s this?” I asked myself when I saw a book in my bed-side table. I was certain it wasn’t mine.

 “My Magical Frog Prince?” I can’t help to raise my eyebrow as I read the title of the book.

Psh! Of course frog prince was magical. I mean, where did you ever saw a frog turned into a human, right? Not just a man but a handsome one.

Well, I am now sure who owns this book. I’m 100% sure it’s Yoona’s. That girl, she was now 18 years old but still can’t turn her back from those fairy tales.

But in fairness, this is the first time I’ve encountered a revised work of Frog Prince. Sorry, I am not a fan of fairy tales, you know.

Out of curiousity, I opened the book but I closed it agaid after just a second, I guess. I am now teary-eyed, yes, again. Why? I just didn’t like what I saw. Of all the pages this book has, I had flipped it to the page where there was a drawing of a frog and right beside it was an illustration of a very handsome man wearing a blue polo—the exact color of the shirt Xiumin was wearing when he left me.

I can’t take this anymore. My heart’s aching again as if it was broken to pieces. I guess I’ll take a nap. Maybe I can escape from the pain for a while through this.

********

 

*ribit ribit ribit*

 

What was that? Argh! I want to sleep more!

 

*Ribit! Ribit! Ribit!*

 

That annoying sound got louder and louder. It seems like whatever it is, it getting closer and closer to me. Argh! What was that really huh?!

 

*RIBIT! RIBIT! RIBIT!*

 

Grrr! I’m losing my temper now! I swear, whatever or whoever this pest is, I’m gonna kick his hard! Number 1 rule: DO NOT EVER DARE TO DISTURB MY SLEEP! I BECOME MONSTER! RRAAWWRRR!!!

(o_-)

(-_o)

(O_O)

“waaaaaahhhh!!!! / Waaaaaahhh!!!!”

All of a sudden, I just found myself holding the lampshade. I was really shocked I didn’t know what I did.

How can this creepy creature enter? Windows? All closed. Door? Closed as well. Goodness! What on earth is this frog doing in my room?!

I was about to hit this slimmy frog who have guts to stay beside me in my bed when I suddenly stopped upon realization of something. Do I really hear it right earlier or it was just my imagination? I think I heard this frog…

 “Tsk. Miss Beautiful, why are you staring at me like that? You can’t resist my charm, huh?” Waaaah! It was not just a product of my imagination, this frog really can talk. I was right of what I have heard, he also screamed earlier, with me.

Without any second thought, I immediately slipped down from my bed and keep a great distance with this froggie. I stretched my arms holding the lampshade right in front of him as I turned its light on.

“Evil spirit or whatever spirit you are, I’m ordering you, get off the body of that frog! Go away! Shoo! Ghost! White Lady! Cafre monster! Centaur!” I shouted on the top of my lungs while waving the lampshade in front of his face.

 “Ho. Ho.Ho! Easy. With this handsome face?! And for your information, I am a frog. What centaur are you talking about? And yeah go ahead. Pour me a gallon of holy water if you want. I am a frog, look, capital F-R-O-G! I’m a magical frog prince.” He’s right, why did I ever say centaur? Stupid me. -_- But wait, what did he say, a magical frog prince? It sounds familiar huh.

“Whatever! Who are you and what are you doing here in my room?! And what magical frog prince you’re saying? Are you trying to make fun of me?!”

 “Okay, I’ll answer all of your questions, but can you please put that lampshade down? I don’t want my beautiful face be ruined by that.”

Eh? I looked at my hand as I heard what he had said. Woah. Until now, I am really holding the lampshade.

“No. I don’t want to!”

“Okay, if that’s what you want. But I’m telling you, this might take long. You know, handsom---“

“So where did you came from? How come you can talk?” I immediately asked him. I intentionally cutted his words because I’m sure he will keep on saying that he’s handsome. For whoever’s sake! When did it ever happen that a frog exists as handsome one?

 “I already told you, didn’t you listen? I’m a magical frog prince, that’s why I can talk. I guess you’re not really listening to me. You just kept on screaming your throat out. And where did I come from? It’s actually here.” Then he jumped to the book on my bed-side table. The one Yoona left.

I grabbed the book he’s referring to and took a close look. It’s actually open to the part I looked at before I went to sleep. But the strange thing that made my eyes open wide is when I saw that the frog on the page was now missing. Even the image of the handsome prince was not there anymore.

“Oh. Do you believe me now? Can I explain myself a little more?” He asked as if I’ve accused him big time for whatever crime a while ago. I just nodded my head. Well, this time I’m calm.

“Wait. Can I jump on your bed?” he immediately jumped on my bed without my permission. Yes, he didn’t bother to wait for my answer. And he even chose to move beside me. Eh? Are we close?

“This would be easy if I were a human right now.” He murmured but enough for me to hear.

 “Yah! Don’t have that illusion or hopes that I’m gonna kiss you to turn you to a prince because THAT definitely won’t happen. Never!” I nagged him then I rolled my eyes. It seems like he’s just saying those words for me to take the initiative to kiss his slimmy lips. Eeew! >_<

“Yah to you too! I don’t need you kiss for me to be in my human form. To this handsome face, princess is what I need not a cry baby like you!” what the! Stop me or I will make this frog skinless alive! Grrr

“Oh. Don’t try to say something, okay? The handsome me will going to tell you now the story.” I was about to defend myself when he cutted my words. Argh! I hate this frog a lot! He’s really getting inyo my nerves. Can I just throw him in the Bermuda triangle? But on the second thought, okay, i guess I have to just shut my mouth up and listen to him. I was really confused of what’s really happening.

“Before anything else, I’m Prince Han. Yes, I know you’re not gonna address me as prince so Han will be fine. You’re really something, Sunny. You didn’t even ask for my handsome name first. Don’t you know it’s a great privilege to know the name of a handsome and charming prince like me?” yes, I get it. He’s really conceited and full of himself. Pabo! -_-

“Well, okay, about those question marks popping on your head, I’ll tell you the things you have to know. You opened the book last night, right? Accidentally you opened it to the page where I, the handsome and cool prince, was resting that time. I felt my tongue shook when I saw a hint of sadness in your eyes as I looked up on you from my place.  And as the magical frog prince who’s full of charm and good-looking, I have this pledged mission to give three chances to someone with sorrowful heart who caused that certain reaction to my tongue. These chances may help them to find thing or things to bring back the happiness in their heart. In your case, I already knew the reason of your sadness. You’re wondering how? Simple, it is because I’m handsome. Hahaha! So don’t even question why I knew your name. But hey, let me clear things here, I am not a fairy godfather or a genie.” He said without a break. Well, I didn’t even dare to cut him from talking. I got some serious time digesting all the things he said. It’s just really… impossible. What he had said was never ever happen in real life, right?

“What about the three chances?” I managed to ask after some minutes. I gave up on ruining his daydream of being handsome. I just let it passed for now because if everything this little creature said was true, I am more interested about those three chances.

 “About that, because I am HANDSOME, I will give you three chances to go back in the past. Everything is up to you. You can make right the mistakes you’ve done or you can say those unspoken feelings you have for someone. It’s really up to you. Your flashback will end at the time when he left you. But be careful. I want to warn you, seriously. Whatever changes you’ll make to the events in your past, the following happenings will be the product of it. Thing that should be happened will happen. Did you get it?” Han said with his voice and eyes full of seriousness. Woah. It gives me goosebumps, I swear.

“Uhm… but what if…what if I already made the things I wanted while consuming only the first chance I have? What will happen to the other two?”

“Those two will be disregarded. You already get what you want, right? But if things won’t work up perfectly according to your will until the last chance, every event happened on that particular time will reflect to the present and maybe you have to live with it. It only means that all your decisions and action regarding your chances will definitely affect your life today, Sunny. So please be careful and think thoroughly every move you’ll make.” He’s more serious now. What was this? It felt like he’s someone from those horror films where the lead role encountered a wizard who loved to throw riddles to someone and when that someone can’t answer his riddles correctly, he will end up being a sacrifice and be eaten by some sort of horrible creature.

Okay. Okay. Too much imagination, I know. But can you blame me? I mean, look at my situation right now. I’m talking to a frog who, apparently, can speak human language. Then, there is this story that he came from the book. And now, these three chances he’s giving me to go back in the past?

But truth to be told, I am now nervous. I don’t know but when I heard this frog’s last sentence, my heart started to beat so fast.

“The decision was all yours Sunny. If you’ll grab this opportunity to go back in time or if you’ll just let things went the way they were. I don’t want to pressure you but sorry, you need to decide now. I don’t have enough time. We don’t have enough time.” He said to me but his eyes were fixed on the book.

I looked at the book too because of the weird emotion I sensed in this slimmy creature’s presence. My eyebrows almost met when I noticed that several lines were back to the images on those pages. Minutes ago those were really blank.

I have decided. Right now, I don’t care about what may happen. I’ve waited so long for this time to come. Before, I thought this is impossible. Now that all the chances I needed are within my reach, I won’t let it be taken away from me.

 “I...I want to take those chances. I’m willing to take the risk.” I declared with full of compassion.

“If that’s so, be ready. We will go…now.” Then he jumped on the book all of a sudden and after few seconds he disappeared. With my heart beating real fast and my hands shaking, I slowly stepped on the book. Suddenly I felt a weird and strong force absorbing me.

This is it, Sunny! There’s no turning back anymore.