Mares

Running With Wolves: Magic, Spells and Creatures Guidebook


 
 
mares
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Panic overflows her senses as she tries to move, but can't; it's like something is holding her down. She's breathing hard, everything around her scary, dark, and heavy. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

BASICS


» Mares are shadow-like creatures who sometimes appear when a person is experiencing sleep paralysis. They have several names, including: Pesanta, Batibat, Lietuvēns, Karabasan. 

» Sleep paralysis is a state in which a person can't move, speak, or react in any way possible. It happens during falling asleep or awakening, and it's caused by the brain. When a person is asleep, our brain naturally blocks our entire body, so that we don't run or hurt ourselves while dreaming. But sometimes we wake up and our brain doesn't realize that - that's when paralysis happens. It's often accompanied by sounds, voices, and hallucinations, some of them being our own lucid dreams, and some of them being supernatural influences.

» Mares appear during paralysis, using the right moment to approach a human undergoing paralysis and feed on their fear. Their touch can cause bruises to appear on their victim's skin. 

» Most Mares only appear to a person once. If they appear twice or more, it means they're more stubborn, and very hungry. If they pick themselves a victim, they can go as far as to cause them permanent insomnia, which, in turn, can lead to death.

» A legend says that some Mares are capable of "scaring a soul out of their body" in order to take over their lives. 

 

» Mares are tall, dark figures similar to shadows. 

» They have piercing, yellow eyes are are visible in darkness, and very long limbs. Their arms can sometimes reach the floor.

» Even though they're not technically corporeal, they're very heavy. They're slightly see-through. 

» They move very slowly, half-floating, half-walking.

» They're scared of light and ash, but only a special ritual involving a magic circle and light can cast they away for good.

 

 APPEARANCES

 

» chapter forty-six and forty-seven of run a little faster

 

Then she sees it. Something weird standing by the door. Something tall, black, with unnaturally long arms that almost reach the floor and yellow, piercing eyes. 

layout designed and coded by flamzfox at Cerulean Themes