Ch. 4 - Rival

More than One Shot[Hiatus]

Chapter 4 - Rival

 

“So, what are you planning on doing after school today?” Alex asks her brother. The two were currently walking down the street. They were on their way toward their schools. Zelo shrugs. “Oh, I have dance after school today. But after that, I have nothing to do, so I’ll most likely be coming back home.” he states.

Alex nods. “Okay. Once practice is over, call me. After my classes I’ll be at work until 9pm.” she states. “There’s food already in the refrigerator, so you’ll be good for dinner.” she states. Zelo nods. “As long as you call me when you’re off, so that I can come get you.” he replies.

Soon the two stops in front of a school building. “Okay, I’ll see you later.” Zelo says to his sister before joining the group of students that were moving through the entrance gates of the school. Alex watches Zelo walk into the school before she starts walking again. She continues to walk until she hears her name being called when she reaches the entrance of her own school’s campus.

Turning, Alex spots a boy with black hair walking toward her, waving. “Hey Himchan.” she greets smiling. The boy smiles back as he falls into step next to her. “Hey Alex.” he greets. “So, topic of the day will be you and Yongguk. I’m sure you knew that.” he adds. “Zelo sent us the video of you and Yongguk last week.  But I haven’t had the proper time to talk to you about it.”

Alex lets out a laugh. “Oh, he was so flustered. Every now and then, I would love to see that face.” she says. Himchan nods. “Well you got the opportunity. You two are official now.” he says. Alex nods. “Yes we are. And I’m very excited for this too.” she says. “I don’t know why.”

Himchan looks at her. “Because you wanted to date him before.” he says. Alex turns to him with wide-eyes before looking around. “Yah, don’t say that too loud. No one needs to know that.” she says. She then looks back at Himchan. “So question,” she starts. “Exactly how many girls have Yongguk dated?” she asks.

Himchan slightly tilts his head to the side. “Shouldn’t you be asking Yongguk this?” he asks. “But I would have to say about six. If you’re speaking official, then three. The others were basically just flings.” he states. Alex nods. “And how many of them were serious?” she asks. Himchan looks at her. “You are very curious. But one and a half.” he says.

Alex raises a brow. “One and a half?” she asks. Himchan lets out a laugh at her confused look. “I say one and a half because he was only half serious when dating Jihyun.” he states. Alex snorts. “Yeah and his other half was flirting with me.” she says. “He better not flirt with someone else while dating me. I will take him down.”

 

“Alex, Yongguk is the one that you can’t win against.”

“So, I can still try.”

“Yeah and still lose.”

“Himchan, I can still beat you up though.”

“Do you need a hug from me this morning?” Himchan asks holding out his arms.

“Does your face need a hug from my fist this morning?” Alex asks making Himchan laugh.

 

Suddenly Alex feels an arm wrap around her waist. She raises her arm to swing at the person but stops once they begin to speak. “Good morning, my dear Alexandria.” the deep voice greets into her ear. “The day just started and you’re already threatening people.” Tilting her head up as she turns, Alex finds herself face to face with Yongguk.

“Yah, you should know better than to sneak up on me.” Alex says. “I was ready to knock your head off your shoulders.” she says slapping Yongguk on the shoulder. Yongguk smiles. “It’s okay because I would have blocked your attack.” he says. “So it doesn’t matter.” he adds. Himchan looks at them. “Look at you two, it’s only been two weeks and you guys are totally enjoying this.” he says. Yongguk smiles. “Oh, you just don’t know.” he says with a small laugh.

“Watch out there Lexi, he’s a romantic when he wants to be.” The three turn to see Daehyun walking toward them with a black haired boy next to him. “He’ll rope you in and won’t let you go.” he states with a small laugh. “Good morning, Daehyun, Youngjae.” Alex greets. Youngjae stops in front of his cousin with a small smile on his face. “Sooo, seen that video.” he says with a small laugh before looking at Yongguk. “Such a smooth talker you are, Sir.”

“Hey, it was my first time. I couldn’t help my nerves.” Yongguk says defensively. The others laugh as they make their way through campus toward a certain building. “So, heard we got invited to a picnic. Is it for real?” Youngjae asks. Alex nods. “Yeah, it’s in a month.” she states. “I don’t know if we’re supposed to bring something or not. I have to ask.” she says. “I’ll also find out what the official times will be and see what events they’re planning for it.”

As they walk into the building, Daehyun and Youngjae split off from the group. The two heading down the hall as the other three walk up a staircase. It wasn’t long before they stop in front of a door labeled ‘Science 401’. “I’m going in ahead; class starts in about 15 minutes. So take your time love birds.” Himchan says. “I’ll save your seat Alex.”

As Himchan walking into the classroom, Alex and Yongguk move to the other side of the hall so that they weren’t in the way of others. “So, you’re going to be walking me to all my classes now?” Alex asks as they lean against the sill of the window in front of them. Yongguk shakes his head. “That’s a little impossible since some of our classes are on different sides of the campus.” he says. “But I’ll try for the ones that are near each other.”

“Oh, and of course, you will be eating lunch with us from now on right?” Yongguk asks. Alex shrugs. “I’ll do it more often. But I do have other friends though.” she says. Yongguk puts a sad look on his face. “But you’re mine now. What if I want to spend that time with you?” he asks. Alex lets out a small laugh. “Well, aren’t we being possessive?” she asks.

Yongguk does a small shrug. “Well, I have a reason to be.” he says stepping closer to Alex. “You, pretty lady, are actually in the top ten of the most sought after girls of our grade.” he informs. Alex raises a brow. “What? No I’m not. Now Jieun and Hana, those are some pretty ladies.” she says. “Actually, I sometimes sit with them during lunch.”

“I think you’re prettier. And why not sit with us? Daehyun’s your best friend so doesn’t it make sense for you to sit with him? Isn’t that why you sit with us most of the time?” Yongguk asks. Alex raises a brow at him. “I do have friends outside of you guys. And why do you think Daehyun is my best friend? Usually people think that it’s Himchan.”

“Because he is. And because Himchan is my best friend. Not yours.” Yongguk says. “That and while most of the time you’re with Himchan, it’s Daehyun that you tell more things to.” he explains. Alex tilts her head and nods. “True. Didn’t know you were that observant.” she says. Yongguk nods. “When it comes to those important to me, I do.” he says before smiling. “And there’s a lot that you have yet to learn about me.”

Before Alex could say something, a bell sounds throughout the building. “Oh, you better get going. You have five minutes.” Alex says. Yongguk nods. “Yep, I’ll meet up with you and Himchan next class.” he says. As he’s about to step away, Alex takes hold of his shirt. “You’re forgetting something.” she says. With a raised brow, Yongguk looks at her.

Alex smiles when she sees a small blush goes around Yongguk’s face. “Am I going to have to do this every time we separate?” he asks. Alex shrugs. “Maybe.” she says. Yongguk lets out a small laugh at the reply. “Just for you.” he says before leaning forward and kissing her on the cheek.

“See you next class.” Yongguk says with a smile before making his way down the hall. Alex watches him until he’s out of sight before moving into her own classroom.

 

~~~

“Oh so glad that the project is finally over.” Himchan says as he follows Alex out the classroom. Alex nods. “Glad you had me as your partner aren’t you?” she asks. Himchan looks at her as they walk down the hall. “Actually you should be glad I like you, otherwise I would have let you do most of the work.” he says. Alex lets out a laugh. “Well, someone is getting lazy in the last part of this school year.”

“Well that’s how you’re supposed to do it.” Himchan says as they walk up a staircase. “You work hard in the beginning so that you can play hard at the end.” he says. Alex shakes her head. “I work hard all year round.” she says. Himchan chuckles. “And now you’re with Yongguk. Your play time is coming Ma’am. Be ready for it.”

Walking up two levels, the two walk to the classroom at the end of the hall. Walking in, they greet the other students that they walk pass. The two walk up the aisle and to the seats that were located five rows from the back of the room next to the window. “So when’s the first date?” Himchan asks as they sit down.

Alex shrugs. “He hasn’t asked me yet.” she says. Himchan raises a brow. “What? Really? He was supposed to ask you already.” he says. Alex looks at him. “He’s been talking to you haven’t he?” she asks. Himchan nods. “Well of course. I’m his best friend.” he says. “He tells me almost everything.” he says. “Or asks for advice.”

“Good Morning you two.” Himchan and Alex look up to see a boy who looked almost identical to Yongguk walking toward them. The two wave at him. “Hey Yongnam.” they greet as he sits down in the seat in front of them. Yongnam looks at Alex smiling. “Soo, heard my brother asked someone out. And I’ve been told it’s you.” he says. Alex nods. “Zelo didn’t send you the video, did he?” Himchan asks. Yongnam raises a brow. “Video?” he asks. Himchan nods. “Yeah, he videotaped the whole thing.” he says. Himchan takes out his phone and presses a few buttons before handing the phone to Yongnam.

Yongnam lets out a laugh as he watches. “Ah, this kid.” he comments. “Finally he asks you out.” he says as he hands the phone back to Himchan. Alex looks at him. “Finally?” she asks. Yongnam looks at her. “Oh ho, you don’t know.” he says. He then looks at Himchan. “No one told her before?” he asks. Himchan shakes him head.

Alex narrows her eyes at the two. “Know what?” he asks. Yongnam lets out a small laugh. “Oh, I’m not going to be the one who tells first.” he says. Alex then looks at Himchan who shakes his head. “Nope, I’m not telling either.” he says. Alex frowns. “You can’t comment on something and not tell someone.” she says.

“Well, of course we can.” Himchan says. “Like this: are you joining us for lunch today Yongnam?” he asks. Alex shakes her head as Yongnam laughs. “I’m thinking about it.” he says. He then turns to Alex. “So, Sister-in-law, when are you coming over so that Yongguk can show you off to our parents?” he asks.

“I haven’t even taken her on a first date yet.” The three turn to see Yongguk walking down the row toward them. “Let me take her on like three of them before bringing her over there.” he says sitting down in the seat between Alex and the window. Himchan looks at him. “Why? It’s not like they don’t already know her.” he says.

“True. But I want her to myself first.” Yongguk says. “I take her over to the house and they’ll want me to constant bring her over. They already want her to come over more.” he says. Yongnam nods. “That and they’ll start embarrassing him. You always have to prepare yourself before bringing someone over.” he says with a small laugh.

After a few more minutes of talking, the final bell for class goes off and the teacher, Mrs. Park, walks into the room. “Good morning all.” she greets as she stops in front of the class. After they greet back their hellos, she turns to the black board behind her writing, ‘Literature Final Project’. She then turns back to the class.

“Okay, so as we all know, the end of the school year is approaching us soon. This means that Finals are just around the counter. So because of this, this will be the last Project of the year.” Mrs. Park starts. “It has two parts to it. The first part will be done as a group presentation; the second will be a solo essay.” she says as she walks to her desk. Picking up a stack of papers, she walks over to the student in the first seat, handing them the papers to pass out.

“You will be working in groups of six. So in the end there should be six even groups. You have a little less than two months to work on it.” Mrs. Park says as the student passes out the papers. “On the back side of the paper it has the list of books that you could choose from for your group project. Also, at the bottom is a list of topics that your essay could be on. For the group project, no group can have the same topic, that’s why there are ten different titles. Look over the list now, if there’s a certain book that you wait to do, make sure that your group is ready for when I ask which book to cover.”

“Now, since this is the last project, I am allowing you to choose amongst yourselves and form your groups. In the end, if there are some who aren’t in a group, I’ll place you in one.” Mrs. Park informs. “I’ll give you all about fifteen minutes to decide who you want to be in a group with. Move around and get together in your group.”

With that, students begin to stand up from their seats. As others began to move about, Yongnam turns back around in his seat, to the three behind him. “Hello group mates.” he says with a small laugh. “Do any of you really care about what book we do?” he asks. The three shakes their heads. “Of course not. I’m just glad she’s letting us chose our groups.” Himchan says.

Alex looks at him. “You can’t get lazy on this one either. I mean there will be six of us, how much work would we all have to do anyways.” she says. She was about to say something else when she feels someone moving her chair. Turning, she looks at Yongguk. “Yongguk, what are you doing?” she asks.

“You all are making me feel left out. I’m not in the conversation.” Yongguk says. He then continues to move his and Alex’s chairs until they sat side by side in the aisle, facing Himchan. “That and he probably wants to be closer to you.” Yongnam says. Yongguk smiles as he slides his arm around Alex’s waist, pulling her closer to him on the connect chairs. “How right you are my brother.” he says laughing.

Himchan looks at them. “He is completely enjoying this.” he says. “So when is the first date? Weren’t you suppose to ask her yesterday?” he asks. Yongguk shrugs. “I got nervous.” he says. Alex looks at him. “We’re already dating, how can you be nervous?” she asks. Yongguk sighs. “I keep telling you all that this is my first time.” he says.

“You never asked any of your past girlfriends out on a date either?” Alex asks with a raised brow. Yongnam shakes his head. “No, he has not.” he answers for his twin. “He doesn’t even plan what they do. He just goes along with whatever they wanted to do. And he just follows along.” he adds. Alex looks at Himchan who nods. She then looks back at Yongguk.

“Dude, you’re kinda like Seryou Touji from Seven Days.” Alex says making Himchan and Yongnam laugh. Yongguk tilts his head. “Seven Days?” he asks. “Should I know what that is?” he asks after a minute. Yongnam and Himchan look at each other before looking at him. “Ah, it’s a manga.” Yongnam states. Yongguk nods. “Oh, okay. I want to know what’s funny though. I’ll read it when I get home.” he states.

The three let out small laughs. “Okay, what else about it?” Yongguk asks. Himchan looks at him. “Ah, well. I guess it’s okay for you to read. Nothing explicit I guess.” he says with makes Yongguk tilt his head. “It’s just heads up, it is .” he states with a small laugh.

Yongguk looks at Alex. “You read ?” he asks. Alex nods. “Oh, yes I do.” she says. “Hey, not all great stories are limited to one gender pairing.” she says. Yongguk nods before looking at Himchan and Yongnam. “So, you two have also read this story?” he asks. The two nods. “Yeah, a few people kept talking about it. So we asked Jongup, our manga genius, about it and he gave it to us to read.” Yongnam says.

Himchan nods. “Yeah, even if you’re not into , it’s a cute little story. Actually you really should go read It.” he says. Alex nods. “Yeah, go read it.” she says. “You’ll then understand me saying now, that I’ll be your Shino Yuzuru.” she says. Yongguk slowly nods. “Yeah, I’ll talk to Jongup later and see about this because you guys are confusing me.”

Before the other three could say anything, Mrs. Park calls attention back to herself at the front of the classroom. “Okay, I see most of you have formed your groups. As for those of you who haven’t, please come up here so that I can place you in groups.” she says. At that, three students stand up, walking over to her.

“Okay, Yoonhye, you can join this group up in front.” Mrs. Park states. The girl with blond hair nods, walking over to the group. Mrs. Park then turns toward the two girls that still stood next to her. One had short blond hair and the other, long black hair. “Gayoon, Jihyun, you two will join the group in the back.” she states.

“Ah, I was hoping for Gayoon and Yoonhye.” Alex says laying her head on Yongguk’s shoulder. Himchan looks at her. “Behave, this is for a grade.” he says as the two girls make their way up the stairs toward the group. Alex holds her hands up. “I will start nothing. I promise.” she says with a little laugh.

As the two girls walk down the aisle he sat in, Yongnam stands up and moves over a seat, to the end, to let the girls sit within the group. “Hello Jihyun, Gayoon.” Yongnam greets the two as they sit down. As they settle in their seats, the group takes a couple of minutes to discuss the project and decide on the book that they wanted to do.

After the discussion, Himchan sits the project paper down and turns to the two girls in front of him. “So, ladies, how was your break?” he asks. Gayoon smiles. “It was great. I finally got the time to visit my parents. I wish I could spend more time with them.” she says. Yongnam nods. “And what about you, Jihyun?” he asks. Jihyun looks at him.

“Oh, same here. For the first three days, I just hung around with others who also weren’t doing anything. The others days, I spent time with family.” Jihyun says. “Would have been better if someone would have answered their phone when I called them.” she says looking at Yongguk. Yongguk lightly shrugs the shoulder that didn’t have Alex’s head on it. “Sorry, I was actually busy.” he says.

“Well, what’s more important than me?” Jihyun asks. Yongguk looks at her. “Well, family and friends, first of all. Oh, and of course my girlfriend.” he says. Jihyun lets out a small snort. “Oh yeah, I did hear that you’ve got yourself a new ‘girlfriend’ now.” she says using air quotations. “If that’s what you want to call it. It could just be another one of your flings, Honey.”

At this, Alex lets out a small laugh. Narrowing her eyes, Jihyun turns to her. “Oh, you finally look directly at me for the first time today.” Alex says. Jihyun rolls her eyes. “Sorry, I try not to look at ugly people.” she says. Alex smirks. “Really? Then that would explain why you look like you do. You can’t stand to look at yourself too long in the mirror to at least try to make yourself look a tad bit prettier.”

The frown on Jihyun’s face deepens. “What do you want anyways?” she asks. “I see that you still don’t respect the lines of people who are in relationships.” she says. Alex smiles. “Well, Honey, I think you need to tell your resources that they’re slacking because Yongguk is mine. And trust and believe that I don’t do flings.” she says. Jihyun lets out a small scoff as she rolls her eyes again. “Yeah, we’ll see.” she says turning back around in the seat.

As Jihyun stands up and walks away to talk to someone a few rows away, Alex lets out a small laugh before looking at Himchan who shakes his head. “What did I say?” he asks looking at her. Alex smiles. “Loop hole. She said something first.” she says. “It would have been rude of me to not say something back.”

“You two are so mean to each other for no reason.” Gayoon says. Alex raises her head and looks at her. “Hey, she started it. Remember I tried to be friends with her since we have people in common, but she threw it in my face.” she says. Gayoon shrugs. “Well, you did always flirt with her boyfriend.” she says. Alex frowns. “I didn’t even know they were dating. Actually, didn’t find out until recently. And even if I don’t like a person, I would never purposely make someone even think about cheating.” she says.

Gayoon raises a brow. “You didn’t know they were dating?” she asks. Alex shakes her head. “At that time, I was trying to just ignore her presence in general and I thought she was a groupie. So whenever it wasn’t me and her face to face, I didn’t pay close attention at all.” she says. Yongnam shakes his head. “You are so weird. Isn’t the quote ‘Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.’?” he asks. Alex looks at him. “Ha, I don’t even like being in the same room as her most of the time. And you expect me to keep her closer to myself than I have you guys?”

“Keep anyone as close to you as you want.” Yongguk says. “Just make sure that I’m the closest.” he adds. Alex feels a blush goes across her face as she looks at him. She then looks at Himchan. “This is what Daehyun was talking about, wasn’t it?” she asks. Himchan smiles. “Oh, it gets better. Just wait.” he says with a small laugh.

 

~~~~

 

A.N.: I didn't know what to title this chapter, so since Jihyun is offically introduced in this chapter, I just went with Rival. >.<