CHAPTER 3

MY LOVE, MY FATE

You couldn’t get hold of your brothers’ phone as you tried to call him to inform whether he caught up with your mom. But that stupid of a brother of yours (not to mention hot), won’t just pick up the phone. Why? Because, he is on a date! You sigh in defeat and make your way to the convenience store, since you were craving for vanilla ice cream. You were looking around the store, when a random guy or you can say; a cute looking guy tapped you on your shoulder to get your attention. “Yes?” you question the man. “Your bag, the zipper is open and if you don’t mind, I can close the zipper for you?” he states more like asks. You were confused why he would ask something like that. Then you give him your back and nod signaling that he can close the bag. After he zips it, you just bow in politeness and make your way out of the convenience store and go straight home.

* You were around your neighborhood when you saw a jewelry store (you and your sister used to frequent) was robbed you knew it was one of the biggest jewelry stores in the world that made you and your sister to frequent it more and being the closest made it more convenient for you guys to visit after school. “Miss!” someone shouts from a distance. You turn around startled from your thoughts about what happened to your favorite jewelry you put on hold. “Miss.” She pants after getting to your side. You see that it was one of the gardeners in your home. “What’s wrong?” you question, since the gardener hardly ever talks to you to even look for you. This got you thinking there must be something wrong. “Oh miss, we got startled when we heard there were robbery in the jewelry store you and Miss. Seohyun used to frequent and it scared us when we saw Mr. Kim returning without you or your brother we taught that you dragged him there, thank god your okay. But where is master Seyong?” he asks. You wave your hand to assure him that he was alright. “He’s fine he had assignments so he stayed behind.” You explain. The gardener just nods in understanding and you home. * You were lying in your bed phoning your best friend when you can’t get your brother. “Hey.” “Uni, can you come and sleep over my house? No one is home. Seyong is out on his date with the Texas girl.” You sigh “what was her name again?” you question. “Don’t remember, but she’s one plastic doll.” She giggles along with you who were giggling as well. “I’m not sure, but I’ll try to make it. Dad is still out, but mom is …” she sighs “Worse than yesterday something must have happened.” She continues. “Is everything ok with you? All alone in that big mansion?” she questions. “That’s why I told you to come.” You giggle. “And besides, the maids are home.” You chuckle “I’m bored Uni, come, please?” you plead. “It’s a sleep over” she declares, standing up laughing along with you.

*

Yerin makes it to your front door exactly 11:00pm wearing her cute bunny Tara with Polka dots and rose pajamas with flower dots. Making her look cute as a bunny its self, you giggle and hug her when she makes her way in. “Your Dad, is still not home?” she questions. “Mom too, she’s not home. Seyong just got in after I disconnected the call with you.” You inform. She just nods and makes her way to your bedroom. “Don’t you think something happened? You know with our parents I’m sure something is fishy. Mom just nodded when I told her that I was going to sleep over here. She would have thrown a fit, if it was other times. It was either, too late or that she would walk me here, even with the chauffer around.” She says taking a step in to your room. Just when you both jump on bed Seyong bursts to your room. “Hey, no knock?” you ask, gesturing the knock sign. “Psst, what’s there to knock for anyways.” He jokes making you throw your pillow at him. “Hey Yerin.” He greets totally ignoring you. “Hey Dad is home he’s calling for you.” He informs going out not taking a glance at you. “He’s back?” you ask. “YAH! And hope you do what I ordered or else I’m telling mom and dad where you been till 10:45pm in the night! And also rat on you the other times you got in 1:00 in the morning.” you yell. You can hear a faint voice of groaning making you smile in pleasure. Yerin was laughing while you were standing up from the bed making your way to the door. “What?” you smile and going out.

*

“Dad?” you call. “Angel!” he gives you a weak smile. “Something wrong?” you ask, totally confused with the situation going on. He sighs turning around not able to face you. “Can you two be alright with yourselves?” he asks his voice getting weaker. “Your mom is missing and the company…, humph there is a lot of work” he sighs, continuing before you can ask anything. “It’s my fault, I’m sorry but just… for now don’t ask anything.” He whispers, and you can bet your life that you saw tears in his eyes. It’s the first time you have seen your father like that; he was the funniest and happiest and mostly talkative and cutest and lucid guy and it was scaring you seeing him like this. Well he was all you got after you mom you taught of your sibling dumb or identical never depending on them (well it was the other way around.) For your dad, your mom was like his kismet. He knew he would be nothing without her and now that she’s gone you knew he won’t be the same dad you knew. You knew now was not the best time to interrogate or even converse with your dad, so you just nod your head and made your way upstairs. * Your mom and dad had the hardest marriage and that’s one of the reasons you were living here in the states rather than your country Korea. ‘Your grand ma was one tough cookie’ like your dad used to say and you knew with the looks she gave your mom when you visited her back in Busan. Your uncle was just like your dad but grumpy but that changed when he was with you guys ‘he liked your mom’ that was what your dad said when you questioned the look your uncle gave your mom, but it seemed more with the look he was giving to your mom was just like your dad. Your train of thoughts was interrupted by Serin asking if everything was okay and you shook your head signaling that it was not. “I don’t know, just that mom left and dad won’t be back home for few days because of work and mom.” You sigh. “I think he’s going out of state to look for her probably to Seohyun Uni University.” You answer looking down. “To D.C!” She exclaims you just nod, before answering a “maybe.”