Monthly Checkup

Cappuccino Love

"That'll be a total of 7,000 won."

Nodding, Jessica handed the cash amount to the register employee.

After yesterday's meeting, she ended up staying at her desk and ignored Taecyeon for the rest of the day. The contract had been cancelled and it was Taecyeon's damn fault! Perhaps it was her fault for triggering his sadistic side. Her hand combed back her displaced bangs and she sighed in frustration. 

What am I going to do now?

She decided to drop the subject and began to explore around searching for one particular man. Why did she return when she knew that he saw her? He was nowhere to be found. She glanced at her watch. 

11:20.

"Where is he?" She let her feet wander around the coffee shop turning her head right and left. Suddenly she felt her body hit a soft but firm wall and her backside landed onto the hard wooden floors. 

"What was that?" She tilted her head to look up only to find a hand in front of her vision.

"Are you okay?" A deep husky voice penetrated her ears.

"A-Ah. Thank you. I'm fine." Grabbing the helping hand, Jessica found herself pulled up and forward onto her feet. The scene looked like it came right out of a fairy tale page. The prince pulling up the hand of the fallen princess and supporting her back with his other hand. Jessica felt that hand on her lower back. Her face went red and she was prepared to slap this ert. Before she could execute the action, his hands had already disappeared from her person.

"Be careful next time." 

She wanted to get a glimpse of this stranger, but, by the time her eyes laid upon him, his back was facing her. 

 "Yul?" Her thoughts were interrupted.

"One order for Jessica." 

Jessica grabbed her drink and left.


She went through her daily routine, sipping on her morning beverage every once in while. Files were to be reported and organized. Clients to please. The usual business within the Ok building.

Despite all the chaos and the papers, her thoughts were focused elsewhere. Perhaps that man was Yul or maybe he was a stranger. She couldn't get her head to wrap around the stranger's identity. 

"It was him. Probably..." She mumbled in silence as she walked to her office desk.

"Ah dearest secretary. What troubles do you bring me today?" Taecyeon pranced over with high energy expecting the usual rejection tone from Jessica. Instead, he was greeted with nothing. She had walked right passed him and seated herself on her chair.

"Oh, you're still giving me the silent treatment. Defying me with this useless tactic will only penalize you. "

"Good morning Mr. Ok. I'm sorry what did you say? Something about treatment?"

"Hmph. I shall not repeat my words. Ms. Jung, I suppose you are aware of the monthly building check? I expect 49 floors worth of reports on my desk by 2 as well as a concise detailed summary of our transactions this past month. I have an appointment this afternoon with Mr. Park so do prepare the meeting room. Speaking of meetings, get me on the phone with Kim Taeng. 

"Alright. I'll have it arranged." Jessica replied monotonously while she added the new tasks to her agenda.

Taecyeon clicked his tongue at the lack of reaction he was hoping for. He stomped over to his seat and grumbled as he scanned over the documents laid upon his desk.

"Such a child." Amused, Jessica hid a small smirk and gathered the needed items to start collecting the reports from the other floors. She glanced at the ticking clock whose hands were placed at the 12 and 7. "I have a good hour and 25 minutes to get them to his desk."

"Should I start my way down or up? Eh, I'm already here." Examining the mess of the chaotic 50th floor, she took a deep breath and sighed while pulling out a megaphone. She held it close to and shouted.

"IT'S THE MONTHLY BUILDING CHECK UP! FRONT AND CENTER WITH ALL THE NECESSARY DOCUMENTS FOR THIS PAST MONTHS! NO EXCUSES!"

The small moment of silence was soon consumed by the shuffling and the frantic cries for haste from the workers. Jessica instinctually moved to avoid the people pushing passed each other to locate their files. She opened a binder, pulled its ring open, and waited, watching the crowd fumble and clamber over each other.

One by one, they lined up. Pages after pages filled the binder to the brim until the last person slipped in their papers. The binder snapped shut with a dead silence. Everyone watched Jessica with anticipation as she surveyed the size of the binder's width. 

"Time was 6 minutes. Adequate size and amount of progress. You're slacking, however, you guys did beat your last record so I'll be sure to inform him to be lenient on your punishment."

It's a game. A cruel, merciless game created by the one and only Ok Taecyeon. Under the agreement between Taecyeon and his father, Taecyeon would be allowed to make adjustments to the system as long as it did not hinder the business's profits and, in return, he would inherit the building. 

This report game was one of the products set in motion when Taecyeon took over. The rules were simple. Each floor must sent their reports in to the secretary. The report itself would be judged by the secretary based on the amount of content. There are no "time limits" necessarily, but that doesn't mean the workers can take their time. Taecyeon decided to implement some consequences should any floor send in their reports slowly and turned the whole check up into a competition. Rules were set and it only took the building one monthly check up to realize their pay, job, and position were all jeopardized. The slowest floor would be punished whether it is a deduction from their pay or their job position would be switched with another floor. All floors suffer from some sort of punishment but not nearly as damaging as the slowest floor.

All for the entertainment of one man. 

"Now to floor 49." She rinsed and repeat with each floor until the very last remaining floor handed their files in.

A stack of binders inside a box sat by her foot as she waited for the ring of the elevator. By the time the door opened to the 50th floor, the clock showed 1:47. She grinned at her progress, and plus there was just enough time for her to have the transaction summary faxed over to her. Jessica kicked the office door open and dumped the box right on top of the disorganized mess that was Taecyeon's desk. At the same time, her ears caught the sound of her fax machine printing out the summary.

"Check check. 2 down. 2 more to go."


 The meeting room wasn't difficult to prepare. Just turn on the lights, set some writing utensils down, lay some papers out, and it's done. Jessica didn't really care for this task, but it did bring up the sore topic about what happened the day before. She couldn't believe he had the audacity to insult a potential partner, now Taecyeon has some nerve to call back.

Once she seated herself back into her office space, she dialed Sunny's number.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

"Jessica? What happened this time?"

"Nothing. I just need you to get me in contact with Byun Enterprises specifically direct me to Kim Taeng's number."

"Ohhhh that company! Yeah I can try to connect you to him."

There were beeps and dial tones, but no voice ever sounded. He's probably busy or...

Jessica ran out the room.

"I knew it!"