His Reason

Cappuccino Love

Murmurs of frustration echoed throughout the two room apartment. Shuffling can be heard from the floor below.

"I can't find it! It's not here!"

"What are you looking for?"

"My folders for tomorrow. Aish. I must have left it in the office."

A tan male sighed and quickly glanced at the clock. The sun's rays were glaring through the window and hit his eyes. He squinted and peeked over to see the clock hands pointing to 11. Standing up, he wore his jacket and grabbed the car keys. He pressed the call button for an elevator. Just before he can leave, his friend stopped him with a question.

"Are you getting your coffee?"

"Yeah."

"Ah wait! I have a date with Ppany! But the folder...Yul..." 

The tan male known as Yul turned back to face his short friend who was giving him a desperate expression. Yul sent him a questioning look.

"Do you mind picking her up for me? Just drive her around, oh I know! You can take her to that coffee shop you always visit every morning. I'll give you her address and when I'm done I'll text you." His eyes were pleading his tall friend.

"Here." Yul handed his cell phone over. "Just type the address and I'll pick her up."

"Thank you Yul! You saved my love life." The short male glomped the towering guy, snatching the phone to type in the girl's address.

"Good luck Taeng." Yul pulled the short man off him and patted his shoulder. He took back his phone and turned to the door.

With that Yul walked out the apartment and entered the waiting elevator.

Taeng watched his friend send him a silent salute before the elevator door closed. He pulled out his phone to call his date.

"Hi!!!"

"Ppany! I'm going to be late for a little bit. Don't worry Yul will pick you up and drive you around until I'm done with some unfinished business I need to handle."

"Ok! What does Yul look like?"

"He's going to be the tall, dark dude. Barely talks. You'll figure it out once you see him. He'll show up with his black Ferrari California."

"Thanks! I'll see you later Taeng!"

"See you."

Taeng smiled as he hung up the call. "Well time to find that folder. The company will look bad if I lost it. Hehe." He grabbed his suitcase, requested for an elevator down, and locked the apartment door on his way out. 


Yul pulled into the curb of the driveway and turned off his car engine. Stepping out, he saw the full view of Taeng's date running out of the house. She was wearing a floral print blouse and dark blue jeggings whilst carrying a small pink handbag with golden chains for shoulder wear.

"Hiiiii you must be Yul! I'm Tiffany. Tiffany Hwang." She extended her arms and opened her hands, waiting for a handshake.

"Hey." Yul reciprocated the greeting gesture and took her hand into a firm shake.

"You really don't talk much do you?" Yul responded with a small swift nod.

"Since Taeng is busy, I'll be your guide for a while." he looked at his wrist watch to find it was 11:20. "Let's begin." He opened the front passenger door and motioned Tiffany inside. Tiffany smiled at his small act before proceeding to enter his car and seated herself comfily on the seat.

The car ride was silent to the point where Tiffany didn't want to speak nervous she would make the atmosphere more awkward than it already is. She chose to stare at the passing buildings from her window instead. Yul concluded Tiffany was more of a social person after he compared her present behavior to the one before the car ride. As he turned the car wheels to the street where the coffee shop was located, he cleared his throat.

"I hope you don't mind if I get some coffee?" His deep husky voice woke Tiffany from her blank gaze.

"Huh what? Oh. Sure I don't mind. I just hope you are ready to pay for my drink after taking so long to talk to me. I know Taeng said you don't talk much, but you could have at least said something. Maybe put on some music to make this less awkward..."

Yul's mouth curved upward into a small smile. It seems he didn't need to put much effort into coaxing her to talk. He listened to her list of complaints and scoldings as he pulled his care parallel to the sidewalk in front of the cafe. The hum of the engine died down as he held the power button of his Ferrari. Tiffany burst through the front door surprising the customers inside. Yul followed behind her, looking at his watching. He shifted his eyes until he caught a familiar figure within his peripheral vision. Yul inwardly smiled and continued to the front cash register. 

"Yul!" He felt a tug on his jacket. "I would like a strawberry frappucino with whip cream. You don't mind right?" Tiffany told him whilst point at the order menu. He nodded in response and walked up to the smiling employee who was waiting to take orders.

"The usual. 16 ounce cappucino with soy milk. And one strawberry frap with whip cream." 

"The size of your strawberry frap sir?"

"What size would you like?" Yul asked Tiffany. "I'll have a medium."

"Medium it is."

"Will this be an order here or on-the-go?"

"On the go."

"That will be 9000 won." He nodded and handed her the cash amount before standing back with Tiffany for the other customers to order.

"How did you meet Taeng?" 

"Oh! It's a funny story. I kind of bumped into him a lot while I was shopping..." Yul noticed a small splash of red forming on her face. He gave her a sly smirk and decided to . " Perhaps it was fate or... intentional?" Tiffany saw the glint in his eyes and gave him a soft whack on his arm. Yul let out a light chuckle at her reaction.

"Oooh. It's Jess!" Tiffany waved her hands. Her friend returned the greeting with what appeared to Yul to be a strained smile.

"I didn't know Jess comes here. She's my best friend and we work together over at O-" Her explanation was cut short when Yul pulled out a vibrating phone. 

"Sorry. He's here."

"Where?"

Yul pointed at the window behind her. There she saw her date jumping up and down waving his arms with a big girn planted across his face. Tiffany laughed at the scene. 

"Have fun."

"It was nice meeting you, Yul."

"Don't forget your drink." Yul handed her pink frappucino drink which had been ready a minute earlier. She grabbed it, thanked him, and left the building. He noticed Tiffany tried to wave goodbye to her friend, but it seemed like the poor girl was in a daze. Yul could only stare at the female with amusement before grabbing his drink and heading out to his car. He spent the rest of his day finishing up his own business.


10:37 PM

Hearing a click of the front door, Yul's attention went from his cooking to his friend walking in.

"Sorry buddy. This is the second night you cooked."

"Hm." Yul placed the meat and vegetables on a plate containing freshly steamed rice. He slid the plate of food to his tired friend and prepared his own plate.

"Thanks for keeping Ppany company by the way." Taeng smiled in gratitude. He sent a small prayer before digging in the meal Yul made.

"You're welcome." Yul shut the stove and pulled his apron off before joining Taeng on the table.

He ended up finishing his plate before Taeng and headed for his room. Taeng stopped Yul with a curious question.

"Hey Yul?" 

"Yes?"

"Why do you go to that specific coffee shop? You own one yourself. Why that one?"

Yul chose to answer with a mysterious smile.