The Merge

Cappuccino Love

Recap: 
"Why him?! Was he the guy you asked out for breakfast Hwang?!"

Across from her window seat, Jessica witnessed two people interacting like old friends. Tiffany was smiling as she pointed to the menu for her order then she turned to talk to her male companion. The man only nodded in silence to give a response to what appears to be a question. He ordered his usual and paid for both of their drinks. Jessica couldn't hear what they were discussing due to all the small murmurs around her table. She gritted her teeth and tightened her grip on her coffee cup. 

"You are so going to get it from me Tiff."


There was no way Tiffany was dating this guy. No way. No how. Never. She had never went for the tall silent types. Jessica had seen Tiffany's ideal men before and their personality was more outgoing. The stranger was hers. She saw Tiffany blush and gently slap the man. Many questions ran through her head while she stared at the couple joking around. Did Tiffany happen to meet him first? What's his name?

Tiffany noticed Jessica sitting near the window seat and waved at her. Jessica could only hide her rage and return the gesture.

"Ok. Ok. Calm down Jess. It must be a dream. A horrible realistic dream. I'll just ask Tiffany about her date at work and then find out his name. Once I have his name, I can win him from Tiffany." Jessica did a small fist pump at her thoughts and her eyes sparked with flames. "What am I saying?! She's my best friend. I can't just take the guy from her." She sighed in frustration and ran her fingers through her golden brown hair.

By the time she got out of her jumbled thoughts, she found the couple missing. "They must be on their date now." As she pictured Tiffany and her crush laughing together, she fell into depression. With no purpose to stay at the cafe, she left to go to work.

"Where are yo- no I sound desperate. How's your date coming along? And send." She leaned back on her chair and rotated it back and forth. 

"I'm bored!" She felt a vibration and grabbed her phone. The text read "Hi! I just finished eating. The date is going great by the way. He's such a sweet guy!" Right when she was about to reply, a knock on the door caught her attention.

"Come in."

"Ms. Jung, there's someone here to see you. She said she was from the 36th floor and she needed some papers signed."

"Send her in."

A 168 cm tall girl walked in and bowed her head. "Good morning Ms. Jung. I'm Seohyun and I work down on the 36th floor as one of the project coordinators."

"Welcome! Mr. Ok is currently not in right now. Do you need the papers to be signed immediately?"

"Actually Ms. Jung...These papers were meant to be signed two weeks ago, but Mr. Ok seemed to be busy despite that he was the one pushing for this particular project out of the other ones. I believe the project is connected to the important merger coming in tomorrow." Seohyun handed the small stack of papers to Jessica. All the signature boxes were empty with the exception of one page pertaining to the agreement between two companies.

Irritation consumed Jessica's exhausted mind. "Taecyeon...you idiot! You signed with the merger TWO WEEKS ago! He or she is coming tomorrow and you had the audacity to skip today?!" Jessica slightly clenched her hands on the unsigned papers, then it hit her. Last night, Taecyon left the building in a hurry with a panic look. "That must have been for the merge I hope. I want to know just who this merger is."

Jessica turned her attention back to Seohyun who was waiting for a response. "Thank you for coming up here Seohyun. I appreciate the reminder about these documents. I'll be sure to tell Mr. Ok to sign these as soon as possible. Sorry for all the inconvenience."

Seohyun lightly smiled and replied, "It's ok Ms. Jung. I don't mind the trouble as long as the company can benefit."

"You're a good kid you know that?"

"Thank you. I'll leave those in your hands Ms. Jung. Bye." Seohyun bowed one last time and left out the door.

Jessica waved until the door was closed. She narrowed her eyes at the innocent stack lying on top of her desk.

"The merger is tomorrow. Tiffany's on a date. Taecyeon's not here. Papers need to be signed by tomorrow. I have to question Tiffany about her date later. Merger. Tomorrow." She rubbed her temples as she devised a plan to save herself from an oncoming headache.

"When Taecyeon gets here, I'll force him to sign these papers after I make him thoroughly look through the conditions. Once Taecyeon finishes that stack, I'll get someone to print a copy for record keeping. Then I have to schedule a meeting for Taecyeon and the merger tomorrow. By that time, Tiff should be back for work. I can go and bug her during my 30 minute break. So much work." She reached for her office phone and dialed a set of numbers. A few rings before a voice answered with "Hello?"

"Hello, Sunny? Are you aware of the person coming tomorrow for a merge with us?...Do you have a name to go with this individual?... I see. Ok. Thanks!" She hung up the phone and began to ponder at her newfound knowledge.

"I can only imagine who shows up tomorrow, but the power they wield in this industry is a force to be reckoned with. No wonder Taecyeon is terrified. This merge can't fail for the good of this company." Jessica forgot about her Tiffany's status text reply in favor of focusing on fixing the small problem Taecyeon caused.


4 hours. It took her four hours to complete her work load. She managed to plan the meeting after calling the other company and apologizing on behalf of her boss' incompetence; it was utterly humiliating. She filed the documents she acquired from Tiffany last night and filled out the other paperwork sent to her from the 49 floors below.

"I need a break. Now it's just Taecyeon's part- WAIT! Where is that guy?! Is he calling in sick?" Jessica huffed in anger at the mess she had to deal with. Her eyes tried to pinpoint the usual loud excited male, but her analysis scanned nothing. Finding it useless to continue the search, she exit the door and headed straight to Tiffany.

A happy Tiffany was a loud Tiffany. As soon as she saw Jessica heading for her cubicle she called out the girl's name.

"JESSICA!!"

"Shhh. You are still working." Jessica's hands muffled Tiffany's loud voice. She relented her hold after Tiffany tapped her arm. "How was your date?"

"You're not one to beat around the bush are you?"

"I am currently on my break. 30 minutes Hwang."

"Ok ok. You know that new restaurant that just opened down the block from here. He took me there because as It turns out they serve the breakfast course. I really have no say in the food, but him as my date was amazing. When the waiter tripped and spilled juice, he quickly covered me. You should have seen him. He was so fast. Not one drop got on my outfit. No stain to worry about." Tiffany's smile got wider and wider as she remembered her date's heroic deed. "Oh I almost forgot. I didn't know you spend your mornings at that coffee shop. I was always curious about that coffee you had every morning."

"I like the place. You're not going to tell me about your guy? Was that him at the cafe?" Jessica kept her cool while being as subtle as she can be.

"Oh no. My real date started when he picked me up from the cafe. The one you saw was Yul, his friend. He warned me about being late due to some business, so Yul drove me around. We ended up at the cafe for some morning coffee. I was suprised to see you there." Unbeknownst to Jessica, she let out a breath of relief when she heard the guy was only a friend.

"If Yul was the guy I saw at the cafe, then who was your date?"

"His name? He told me to call him Taeng."

"Taeng huh? And Yul too... Hey Tiff? Did you know about the merge happening tomorrow?"

"A merge? I'm aware that Taecyeon is meeting with the CEO tomorrow, but that's the only information I heard."

"I heard from Sunny the CEO is a powerful man judging by the name of the company she told me."

"What's the company?"

"I don't know if the owner was messing around or the building name was just inherited, but she told me they go by Byun Enterprises. Of all the names possible?! Why that?"

Tiffany giggled at Jessica's thoughts. "Well, for sure Jess, the company must be big with substantial power. The question is why are they merging with us, competition? Ok corporation is somewhat decent in power, but it's not influential."

"I don't want to pry into this business anymore. It should be Taecyeon stressing over this not me. Speaking of which, that guy hasn't shown up since this morning. I need him to sign papers."

"You need a vacation. Maybe a lover." Tiffany smirked at her own suggestion.

There was a pause before Jessica coughed. "30 minutes are up. My break is over. Good day Tiff." She straightened her body and walked back to the office. Tiffany couldn't utter a single word after seeing that display. She broke out into a smile with gleam in her eyes.

"Jess you are the one hiding something from me... it's only fair I learn about your guy."


Jessica shuffled through the contract papers in exasperation. How was she supposed to get Taecyeon to sign the contract when he wasn't even in the building?

"There is no other choice but to...call him..." She groaned and picked up the office phone for another call.

"Sunny? I need you to connect me to Taecyeon's cell. I know. I know. I'll handle all the coddling he will put me through."

The line went dead before a ring whent through the phone call.

"Hello?" A hoarse voice answered.

"Mr. Ok! Where are you?! Why didn't you come to work today?!"

"Jessica! How's my secretary doing? Did you miss me? You missed me didn't you??? How cute. I miss giving you a daily Jessica head patting." The voice immediately became more brighter and energetic after hearing the sound of Jessica's vocals.

"Answer my question Mr. Ok. You know we have an important merge tomorrow and you have yet to review the contract."

"Hoh." Jessica can hear faint hacking and coughing sounds from the other side of the call. "I don't recall-cough- a contract for this merge. -cough-"

Paying no heed to the coughing noises, Jessica pushed forward. "What is the sound of this then?" She placed the phone on the table and smacked the stack of papers against the hard wooden surface. There was silence from the phone. "That sounds like a pile of papers crying to be signed!"

"Jessica, I have a valid reason for skipping out. You see the doctor -cough- called me in because I was diagnosed with a rather fatal illness-"

"Drop your excuses, Mr. Ok. I make your appointments for both business and health, and I know from yesterday there were no appointments arranged for you."

"I- I - I had a date..." He sighed in defeat. "I was running late and she left. I stayed up drinking last night. It was my fourth attempt to make it work. I woke up -cough- with a hangover and before I knew it, I was drinking again." The confession was followed by a series of harsh coughs and small thump noises from Taecyeon beating his chest. 

Jessica fell silent after hearing his reason. Sympathizing his situation, she softened her strict tone. "Apologies Mr. Ok... Just...come in before the meeting for the merge begins so we can get that contract signed. That is all I wish to notify you about." She didn't need to wait for his response and hung up the phone.

"He could've called in at least." She pouted as she glanced over Taecyeon's empty desk.

 

 

AN:// Hey guys! First time I'm communicating with you folks! This chapter was long overdue and for that I apologize. It was supposed to be posted around August 21st, but I had to prepare for school and the homework just slapped my face. Next chapter is a small intermission. Guess who's point of view you will be reading :] Question for you guys. Do you think Jessica is feeling something for Taecyeon?