I Need A Drink

In the Name of Professionalism

“How old are you?” Baekhyun questioned as his paintbrush made contact with the canvas for the first time.

“Really? That’s the first question you’re going to ask me?” Chanyeol retorted as he pressed his against the tree.

“I thought I’d start with a light question…you know, work up to the deep ones”, Baekhyun smiled sweetly as he attempted to reproduce the landscape with paint.

“Right, I forgot how sensitive you are to situations of vulnerability”, Chanyeol teased.  Baekhyun pouted in response, even though he wasn’t at all insulted. “I’m just kidding, I’m twenty-two”.

“Really? So am I”. Chanyeol was the same age as him and he was already a famous painter, living in a beautiful house, probably screwing anyone he pleased. my life. How am I suspposed to compete with that. “How did you get into painting?”

“It started out as a hobby when I was just in middle school. Then by the time I reached high school, it was the only thing I ever wanted to do. I lacked motivation in every other aspect of my life, so I decided to drop out of school, leave home, and forge a path for myself…as a painter.” Chanyeol spoke these words as if he had said them a thousands times before. It was like a script he was reciting and Baekhyun suspected that he actually was.

“I bet that’s what you tell everyone when they ask. You have your story set up for every reporter and interview, but I want the real story. And don’t even try to bull me with another fake rendition”.

“Wow…now who’s the therapist? What I said was true…” Baekhyun raised his eyebrows skeptically at this statement. “…I just didn’t give the whole story”.

“Fair enough…so what IS the whole story?”

Chanyeol considered elaborating, but he had only known Baekhyun for a few hours…was he really going to open up to him just like that? “I don’t know if I can tell you…just like you want to keep your body your secret…I’ll keep my past as mine”.

“But my secret has a time limit. I’m going to pose for you at some point”.

“Yes, and when your time expires…I’ll tell you the whole story that you are apparently fixated on hearing”.

“Fine…now come over here and look at the masterpiece I created”. Baekhyun motioned for Chanyeol to come towards him.

“You’re done already?”

Baekhyun had finished painting rather quickly, but his urgency was mostly due to the fact that he didn’t think he could last too long staring at Chanyeol’s raw form without getting painfully .

Chanyeol joined him on the patio and scanned over the canvas. Baekhyun was not very experienced in anything pertaining to art, but he had to admit…he did do decent work.

“It’s actually pretty good”, Chanyeol said seeing his vision from earlier that morning come to life with a different model…himself.  

“Really? Or are you just saying that?”

“No, Baek it’s just what I had pictured…except with a different model”.

Baekhyun bit his lip nervously while he looked down at the floor. He had been staring as Chanyeol’s body for way too long and the other man didn’t seem to be too concerned with clothing himself again anytime soon.

“So do you want to go grab some dinner? It’s the least I can do after costing you a day of work”. Baekhyun looked up at Chanyeol with his puppy dog eyes and he knew there was no way he could refuse.

“As long as everything remains professional…I’d love to”. With that said Chanyeol walked inside the house forgetting his discarded clothes and moving upstairs to put on some fresh ones.

Baekhyun remained on the patio smirking shyly at his painting and replaying Chnayeol’s response in his head. ‘As long as everything remains professional’…what does that even mean? Baekhyun assumed he would find out later.

 

They pulled up in Baekhyun’s car to a place in town that Chanyeol had suggested. It appeared to be a casual restaurant and bar with what Chanyeol had described as “bomb karaoke nights”.

“This place looks…” Baekhyun’s eyes traveled from the disco balls, to the neon spotlights, to the over-crowded dance floor.

“Trashy? …I really can’t deny that, but I promise you that you won’t find a better dinner show”. Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun’s by the wrist and pulled his hesitant body to the door of the restaurant.

“Hey Chanyeol! I knew you wouldn’t miss a karaoke night...even for your exhibition deadline”, the hostess said as the couple caught her eye. “And you brought a friend?” She added looking over Baekhyun and offering a friendly smile and handshake.

“He’s one of my model’s”, Chanyeol cut in. “We are having a work dinner”.

“Oh alright. I’m going to guess you still want your usually table though?”

“Of course…is there any better place to watch the disaster that is karaoke night, besides the front row?” Chanyeol asked rhetorically.

They were led to the table and Baekhyun continued to observe the establishment. It certainly did seem like fun, with a drunken woman screaming rhymes at him as he approached the table. Maybe the front row, wasn’t the best place to watch this disaster.

“Is this alright?” Chanyeol asked noticing Baekhyun’s wide eyed response to the woman.

“Yeah, it’s just a lot to take in all at once”.

“I know, but once you get up on that stage and let loose…you’ll be a completely different person”, Chanyeol nodded over at the stage as another drunk hopeful stumbled up.

“Oh no! I am not getting on that stage”, Baekhyun protested. 

“Come on…you’re a feisty little diva…the stage should practically be calling to you”.

“Well I’m not hearing it over your constant nagging. Maybe I should get you a drink, then maybe you’ll shut up”.

“Oh I don’t drink during work dinners…I guess you’re going to have to find another way to shut me up”. Chanyeol laughed at himself and raised his eyebrows suggestively at Baekhyun.

“You were serious about this being a work dinner? This is the furthest thing from a professional outing in my opinion”. Baekhyun was so confused at this point. Chanyeol had made him breakfast, been openly in front of him, accepted his dinner invitation, and to top it all off had brought him to the most flamboyant restaurant he had ever witnessed. Am I crazy or is he interested in me? That eyebrow lift he just did was very curious… is he even gay?

“I like to keep my relationships with my models purely professional…I know this scene may suggest otherwise, but it’s not my personality to take someone to a five-star restaurant, so I prefer the more casual option”. Baekhyun could only bring himself to look at Chanyeol with his eyebrows knit together and lips pursed in thought. “Look Baekhyun…I hope you didn’t misunderstand my gestures. Like I told you before, everything has to remain professional between us…I wont have it any other way”.

Baekhyun simply nodded at his request and flagged down the waitress….he needed a drink.