The Meet Cute

In the Name of Professionalism

Baekhyun looked at the address on his GPS one more time. He was definitely where his agency had directed him, but the large country home in front of him was much more intimidating than he had expected. Two stories stretching the length of a football field and what looked to be a humble stable in the back. It was a beautiful day outside and at a mere six o’clock in the morning, the sun was just beginning to peek out over the rolling hills behind the house.

The knot that had been forming in Baekhyun’s stomach, ever since he had gotten this assignment a week ago, was bigger than it had ever been and the urge to throw up struck his system. He usually wasn’t this nervous before an assignment, but this was his first time posing and while doing it in someone’s home was comforting to some degree, it was also terrifying to think of the undeniable intimacy of the situation.

His manager assured him that the painter, Chanyeol, had worked with their agency for years and received nothing but positive feedback. Everyone had described him as warm, humorous, and above all else, professional. His manager continued to note that there were many other models that had requested the job, but based on Chanyeol’s physical specifications over the phone, he instantly knew Baekhyun was perfect.

All of this information should have made him feel more confident, but he still had to take a few calming breathes before driving up onto the long driveway. He parked his vehicle and looked at himself one more time in the mirror. He had been directed not to wear any make-up, which was very inconvenient at such an early hour. He slapped his face a bit trying to rid it of droopy eyes and pale cheeks. You can do this Baekhyun.

After what felt like hours of personal convincing, he walked out of the car and up to the doorway. He considered ringing the doorbell, but quickly decided it was too aggressive. He would go with a strong knock to the door, which came out so soft he wondered if it was even audible from the inside. To his surprise, however, the door was almost instantly opened. The man who stood in front of him must have been at least a head taller and Baekhyun began to question whether this was another model.

“It’s about time. What were you doing in your car for so long?” The person now slouching against the doorway inquired.

he was watching me. Baekhyun began to panic, unable to find any words to explain himself. Luckily, the man made it easy for him.

“Well it doesn’t matter, because you are here now and the sun is nearing its ideal spot”. The man walked briskly through the house and Baekhyun assumed he was to follow, quickly trying to catch up to the tall man’s strides.

“Who are you?” Baekhyun inquired when he finally made it to his side.

“I’m Chanyeol. Didn’t your agency tell you, who you would be working with?”

“Yo…you’re Chanyeol?” Baekhyun couldn’t hide his disbelief. The man in front of him was so young, probably not any older than himself, and for all the accolades his pieces had received Baekhyun had always just envisioned him much older. He also had to admit that the man was very attractive, even in the oversized t-shirt and sweatpants he was currently sporting.

“Were you expecting someone different?” Chanyeol asked returning Baekhyun to their conversation.

“No, not at all. I had just never pictured you so…young”. He let the words slip out and preyed he wouldn’t take offense.

“I get that a lot actually”.

The pair were now passing through the back door of the home and Baekhyun saw a canvas set up in the open field ahead.

“I’m posing …outside?” Baekhyn’s breath caught in his throat as his apprehension was realized again.

“Oh yeah. I’m sorry I didn’t give you any notice, but it’s going to be such a beautiful day today…I couldn’t resist. Don’t worry though, I have some sunscreen already outside, so you won’t burn”.

Sure, that’s what I’m worried about…getting a sunburn. Baekhyun went ahead and added that to his long list of reservations.

When they reached the canvas outside, Chanyeol handed him the bottle of sunscreen with a smile.

“Go ahead and get set up, I’ll do the same”. He pointed over to a tree only about ten feet away and Baekhyun assumed he was supposed to pose there.

But what did he mean by ‘get set up’? Was he expected to strip right then and there?

Baekhyun walked over to where he had been directed and instinctively hide behind the tree as he changed. He slowly slid his tight jeans down off of his legs and ed his shirt. He peeked around the tree stump eyeing Chanyeol. He appeared to be immersed in smoothing the canvas and squirting paints onto a pallet.

Am I really going to be in front of this guy?

As if to answer his own question, he pulled his boxers down off his body swiftly and then came his undershirt as well. He was now behind a tree and regretting even getting out of bed this morning. He lathered himself up haphazardly with the sunscreen and wondered if Chanyeol was some kind of ert who would get off from this type of image. The man clearly would have no trouble getting some , however, so Baekhyun resided to simply fearing the vulnerability that was being upon him.

“Are you ready? The sun looks phenomenal”, Chanyeol called from the canvas and Baekhyun leaned nervously away from the tree only exposing his torso.

“I’m ready…I guess”.

“Then come out from behind the tree”. Chanyeol motioned him forward scrunching his eyebrows up in confusion. None of my other models had been so shy.

“Oh right…silly me,” Baekhyun laughed nervously and looked down at the tree to avoid the painter’s unforgiving gaze. “Um…what if I can’t?” God why am I such a prude?

“Oh I see”, Chanyeol was now beginning to piece together the signs of his models uneasiness. The slow car exit, the soft knock, the aversion to the outdoors, and now the refusal to bare himself, it all made since. “Is this your first time posing in front of a man?”

“What? Of course not…” Baekhyun stammered nervously rubbing his hand up and down the tree bark. “…this is my first time posing in front of anyone…”

I am in way over my head. Chanyeol had never had to deal with such an inexperienced model before. Those previously, from the same agency, were almost too eager to take off their clothes in front of him. This was unchartered territory and if Baekhyun wasn’t the epitome of the man he had searched for, he would have let him go.

“I’ll just leave…I’m clearly holding up your creative process”, Baekhyun threw his clothes back on muttering sorrys, and almost tearing up at his own failure.

“Wait!”

Baekhyun’s movements ceased, as fear settled in from the man’s outburst.

“I would really like to keep working with you…Baekhyun was it? If your willing…we can do some exercises…become more comfortable with one another?”

Baekhyun couldn’t believe how kind the man was being to him. He was setting the painter back a whole day and he couldn’t even promise he’d be able to work tomorrow. Why does he want me so much?

Almost reading his mind, Chanyeol continued. “Honestly, you are the man I have been picturing as the subject of my exhibition. Anyone else would be second best”.

Baekhyun blushed, feeling excruciatingly flattered. “Let’s try those activities then…I would really like to live up to your expectations”. He was being truthful, but he was also slightly intrigued by Chanyeol’s proposition. What kind of activities did he have planned?

“Get dressed and come inside then…I’ll make us some breakfast”.