Five

The Student's Journal

I couldn’t look away from his eyes.

Maybe I was just imagining things, his eyes couldn’t be that similar to mine.

But there was no doubt that there was an uncanny resemblance between my eyes and his.

It was so freaking weird.

“Okay! Kids, go play on the jungle gym for a bit while I talk to Kai,” Mrs. Jang gave them a friendly smile and ushered them onto the jungle gym with warnings and words of caution.

“Saeheee, your co-worker, will be here in a little bit and then you two along with some of the other workers will attend a training session,” she told me. “There was a bit of a change in the plans, I was going to have you attend the training session tomorrow after spending some time with the kids. But I think you should go through the training for today and start next week. Those who have already done the training will cover for you today.”

“Okay,” I shrugged. I’d much rather do this training thing than be with the kids.

“Oh! Saehee you’re here,” I looked up and saw the same lost girl from yesterday walk into the room. Looking at her now, she’s probably the most interesting looking girl I’ve ever seen.

She was very normal sized, average height, normal weight. She had dark, straight hair that was tied up in a ponytail and eyes that were a little lighter than mine.
But that wasn’t the interesting part. She was wearing white skinny jeans and black shoes that went with the hoodie she was wearing. The hoodie was about ten sizes too large on her, all black with a logo in purple, and reached a couple inches above her knees. The hoodie was from the guy’s section of a shop beside a shoe store in the mall nearby.

How did I know that? Because I have the exact same hoodie hanging in my closet.

Like I said, this world is full of some weird .

“Kai, this is Lee Saehee,” Mrs. Jang said. “Saehee, this is Kai.”

She gave me a small smile and then spotted the kids. She got on her tippy toes to look over Mrs. Jang and waved.

“Hi noona!”

“Hey, unnie!”

She enthusiastically waved at them and I thought she resembled an excited ball. I’ve never seen someone so actively wave at kids, or look at them so happily.

She was flat footed when she looked at Mrs. Jang again, waiting for our next instructions.

“Come on,” Mrs. Jang said, giving Saehee a warm look. I was beginning to get under the impression that she liked Saehee a lot more than she liked me.

We followed her out of the room after she summoned some nurses to look after the kids in the playroom. Saehee was walking right beside Mrs. Jang, neither of the two noticed that I was walking behind them.

“The kids have been so excited since the play room was built,” Mrs. Jang said. “After you guys are trained, they’ll be even happier to have group activities on Saturdays.”

“How long do we have to train?” Saehee asked.

“Just today for the entire day,” Mrs. Jang replied. “You’re going to be learning some games and how to organize the days. It’s not too hard.”

They continued to converse as we walked to wherever it was we were going, not caring that I was dragging my feet behind them. From the gist of their conversation, I concluded that that playroom was new and it was now that they were going to actuate an actual schedule and timing for it.

We arrived into what looked like a meeting room, except the tables and chairs had been pushed to the sides of the room to make room for those of us who were undergoing “training”. There couldn’t have been more than ten or twelve of us and they all seemed to know Saehee, who was waving at anyone who was acknowledging her (which was almost everyone).

Quite the little miss popular from what I see, not bad looking either.

The day, as expected, went from lame to really lame after that. We played stupid teamwork games that didn’t involve lots of physical activity, word games, and a bunch of other “fun, exciting, and educational” games.

I’m pretty sure that by the end of the day, all the other volunteers or workers were keen to stay away from me. Well, to be quite honest, I can’t really blame them because I was acting like a sore, bitter thorn. I purposely lost in all the games and unenthusiastically took part in the activities.

There, I accepted it and have no intention of changing that so I am readily accepting their wary air of me. I have my friends to act fun with and these weirdos aren’t part of them.

The Saehee girl didn’t seem too happy about having me as a partner.  She was nice, when we were teamed up she spoke some instructional words (she didn’t seem to mind the lame games we were playing) but when she realized I had no intention of putting an effort into this “training” she just stood with me quietly as we lost.

“Are you okay?” she asked me as we watched the others play a ball game. “You don’t seem very happy.”

“Fine,” I said, not taking my eyes off of the string hanging off my shirt that I was playing with.

“Alright,” she nodded unsurely and then someone dragged her back into the game.

All in all, the day was a huge waste of my time and if I have to do these nonsense activities with a bunch of brats, there might be a problem.

When I got home, I wasted no time in flopping onto the couch with a bucket of popcorn and a can of cola.

“Hard day?” Myungsoo walked in through the door, carrying his usual satchel.

“You have no idea,” I replied as I turned the TV on to watch a movie.

“What happened?” he asked as he walked towards me and pushed my legs off the sofa before taking their place.

“It’s all so lame,” I said, holding out my popcorn to him. “We have to play games and do interactive stuff with the kids. Today was like a training day to give us ideas on what to do with them.”

“That’s nice for the kids,” Myungsoo nodded as he put popcorn in his mouth. “They just stay in their hospital rooms all the time, it’s nice that the hospital bothered to organize something for them.”

“Eh,” I shrugged and we watched the movie and ate popcorn for a bit before Myungsoo went up to change.

I got a text halfway through the movie, I was lying down again with bits of popcorn on my shirt, lazily watching and making fun of the main characters in my head.

MEET AT THE ARCADE- SEHUN

On my wayyy.

I sat up, dusted the popcorn off of me and stood up. I threw a hoodie on, put my phone in my pocket and was opening the door when I found myself face-to-face with Grandpa.

“Going somewhere?” he asked.

“Out with the guys,” I replied. “Where were you?”

“I visited your mother after going to the bank,” he answered.

“She doing okay?”

He nodded, “Well, since you’re going out could you pick up those vitamin drinks for me?”

“Yeah, sure,” I said as I moved to the side to let him through. “Okay, see you.”

“Wait,” he said. I stopped and turned around.

“Have you eaten?”

“I’ll get something,” I said.

“You’d better,” he warned before limping towards the kitchen for a glass of water. I smiled to myself as I walked through the door and locked it.

The arcade we usually hung out at was two bus rides away. We hung out there a lot, it was a pretty cool place. I suppose we’re going to play a couple games and eat pizza or something.

“IT’S KAIIII!” was the first distinguishable thing I heard when I walked into the arcade fifteen minutes later. I rolled my eyes and Chanyeol, who for some reason enjoyed announcing my arrival, dragged me to our usual booth in the back.

I high fived Baekhyun and Suho as I sat opposite them and Chanyeol with D.O and Sehun.

“You guys didn’t get anything yet?” I asked as I stole Sehun’s drink.

“We were waiting for you like the loyal people we are,” Baekhyun said in what would be an innocent voice if I didn’t know him better.

I snorted as Sehun took his drink back muttering something about stealing from an unsuspecting poor boy.

“What do you kids want? I’ll pay,” Suho grinned holding up his signature card. Suho, I should probably call him hyung but I don’t, is a year older than all of us; he was held back. I have no idea where he gets his money from, I don’t think any of us know but we don’t dare ask because Suho is scary when he’s angry and money is a touchy subject. He may not look it, but he’s pretty mean, no mercy at all. If we weren’t his friends we’d probably be distancing ourselves from him because he has, to put it nicely, strange connections.

We all decided what to order and Baekhyun went to go place it. We were joking around and acting stupid while we waited the twenty minutes the food was being prepared. The conversation then rolled around to our “volunteer” (because we’re not doing it because we want to, right?) duties.

“I’ma do it one more week and then I’m done,” Chanyeol yawned. “Ain’t got time for this kind of nonsense.”

“Why? What important business are you handling?” D.O asked.

“Beating you,” Chanyeol pretended to throw the salt shaker at him.

“What about you, Kai?” Baekhyun asked. “Children’s hospital, sounds fun.”

I rolled my eyes, “Hardly.”

“So you’re stuck playing with sick kids the entire day? That ,” Baekhyun shook his head.

“That’s not my plan,” I said and Baekhyun grinned. “There’s some girl who works with me. It’s easy; she plays with the kids, I protect myself from sickness.”

Baekhyun laughed while D.O frowned, “It’s not their fault they’re sick, you know.”

“I know I know, I was kidding,” I said.

“So, girl huh?” Chanyeol grinned, wiggling his eyebrows.

“She’s weird and quiet and lame,” I said flatly, rolling my eyes.

“You’re so mean, Kai.”

I shrugged, “She wears boys’ clothes.”

“So?” Baekhyun said. “My sister wears my clothes too, you obviously haven’t hung around girls enough.”

“Oh whatever,” I leaned back and crossed my arms.

“Geez, defensive, are we?” Baekhyun whistled. “It’s okay, Kai, if you want to keep her a secret its fine with us.”

“Shut up,” I threw a packet of ketchup that was sitting in the middle of the table at him. My friends can be so annoying sometimes, especially this nosy Byun Baekyun.

Our pizza arrived and we began to eat, play, and make fun of each other. It was one of those rare times that we didn’t bother anyone else.

Sometimes, just sometimes, we’re harmless boys who want to have fun.


When I got home, Grandpa was sleeping and Myungsoo was probably in his room finishing a report or something. I the light to the stairs and slowly crept up, passing the pictures of my growth.

It’s really weird and embarrassing, but starting from the bottom step with the picture of the day I was born, to the 17th step where there was a picture from my most recent birthday (there were twenty steps in total) were photographs of me every year. Grandpa had taken a picture of me on every birthday and hung it up on the step that matched with my age.

When I asked him what he would be when I was 21, he said, “Then I’ll hang the pictures on top of the others starting from the bottom. We’ll do double decades; you can call them duodecades.”

He’s really something else, my grandpa.

As I stepped over the last step I decided to check on him before going to my room. His door was slightly ajar and I quietly walked in. He was sleeping with one arm hanging off of his bed and his mouth half open, lighting snoring.

I couldn’t help but smile as I watched him, I liked watching him sleep. I tucked his arm into his blanket and he turned to the other side with a loud snort. I silently laughed as I left his room and went into mine.

As I got into bed after changing my clothes, my mind wandered to that freaky little boy whose eyes reminded me of my own.

It’s impossible, there can’t be anyone in the world who has my eyes other than me. The hospital fumes were probably getting to me, the kid’s eyes were probably just a little similar to mine.

But why did I find such familiarity in him?

I was pretty confused as I entered my dreams and drifted off to sleep.


Things like fists, blood, and cops don’t scare me. The terrifying truths and hidden secrets of the world do. Questions; I hate unanswered questions.


Hello ^^

I don't really like this chapter, it seems kind of useless to me.

But I suppose we see Kai's lovely soft side....

I dunno, I'll see you guys later, bye~!

PS I think the next chapter will be better, if I'm remembering  my sheet of paper with my chapters planned out correctly.