Two

The Student's Journal

That day at lunch, my friends and I were preparing what we called entertainment for the school.

I was in the electricity control room, waiting for a text from Baekhyun. It had barely been a minute when I received it.

‘Go, Kai, go’

I smiled and held a flashlight up to the switches board. Baekhyun, the computer geek, had told me which ones would take out the lights of the cafeteria (“You go do it!” he said childishly. “I want to throw noodles at this creepy girl in my math class!”). I flipped the switches over and quietly left the control room to see the show in the caf.

Coming down the hallway just after I closed the door was the man I had seen Principal Jung talking to. He eyed me suspiciously, and for some reason I could tell that he didn’t like me very much, ever since he found out I enjoyed being late and got smart with my mouth. I’m not worried though, there’s no camera in this hallway, someone (Baekhyun) had broken it last week.

I mock smiled at the newbie before running to the cafeteria. Once inside, the lights had been again and the cafeteria had erupted into chaos.

I nearly wet myself with laughter. In a short amount of time, my friends had managed to throw paint and a variety of food onto most of the geeks and losers that were called the students of our school.

I met them and we exchanged high fives. The principal then walked in and looked furious at the mess. He was looking around the room, sweat forming on his forehead and his face slowly going red with rage. His expression looked like a mixture of fury, exasperation, and confusion. His gaze landed on my friends and I.

We put on straight faces and attempted to look innocent with the addition of some shrugs.

Good old, Jung, being only capable of glaring at us. From the corner of my eye, I saw the new guy looking around with a raised eyebrow.

There was no way he would last here.


The next day, the new guy stopped me in the halls while I was ‘going to the bathroom.’

“There was a chaotic happening in the cafeteria yesterday,” he said casually. “The lights went out, too.”

“Really? I had no idea.”         

He surveyed me closely and I could tell he and Principal Jung had probably had a nice little chat about me over some tea.

“Well I think you did, young man. I don’t like your attitude, you seem to think rules and authority are beneath you,” he said, a glint in his eyes. “This is a school, not a playground for your foolish antics. I am in utter disbelief that this is how you behave towards your peers, teachers, principal, and school. Walking in late every single day and not following school expectations is not something to be proud of.  I assure you, that were you under my discipline, you would be punished and would see the consequences of your actions. I’d deflate your large head.”

What was this guy? I guess he analyzed me pretty well since I only met him today, but lecturing me this early in the game? It hasn’t even been a whole day since he’s known me and he feels the need to tell me what was wrong with me. I strongly dislike such nosy people who see a bit of trouble and then feel the need to bud in, acting like the hero. Those kinds of people would judge (it doesn’t matter how accurately) someone and then try to change them and make them better, ‘improvement’ they call it, by using lecturing and punishment. Well, this man was in for a rude awakening.

”Yes well, most unfortunately, sir,” I said sarcastically. “I am not under your discipline, therefore you can’t.”

I smirked, fake saluted, and walked away.


Most people knew that it had been my friends and I that had caused the commotion, but they couldn’t do anything. I guess you could say we were ‘bullies’, but the better kind. We just liked to entertain ourselves by doing funny things to the kids around us. And those kids couldn’t really do anything to retaliate to our comical behavior.

Like the time we took this nerd’s things and dipped them into sauces we had made in hospitality. Or when we took this guy’s gym clothes and hung them up on the fence. We tease a couple kids sometimes too, just in passing though. Its not like we have a permanent grudge against someone and poke fun at him or her, that’s boring.

We hate everyone equally.

A lot of people are afraid of us too, though I don’t see why; we don’t go around beating people.

We have gotten into a couple of fights here and there, but nothing big.

We’re not that bad, really.


It’s Thursday and we’re about to do something huge. Hugely hilarious.

It’s this guy, Lee Sungjong, the kid thinks we’re his heroes or something. He’s always following us around, trying to turn our pack of six into seven. He’s under the impression that we’re hilarious (which we are), that we’ve got looks and brains (which I must say we do), and just that we’re plain amazing (I guess he states true things). I bet you he’d my shoes if I asked him to, that’s how much he worships us.

Anyways, we’ve asked little Sungjongie to meet us at the back of the school (where the garages and dumpsters are) just after the sun sets. We’ve told him that if he jumps from a second floor classroom into the dumpster, he can come with us when we break into this electronics shop. It’s just a little jump and the garbage bags are sealed with garbage and pretty soft.

There a couple of little truths that we didn’t bother telling him. One; we won’t be taking this loser anywhere, two; the dumpster is filled with garbage bags that have eggs, flour, goo, paint and a bunch of other , and three; the goo that D.O concocted leaves one hell of a stench.

All of us are waiting for him now, everything is ready. Then we heard footsteps and Sungjong rounded the corner.

“Sungjong!” Suho said brightly, holding out his arm. “Come here, rascal.”

And he threw his arm around Sungjong’s shoulder, Sungjong looked nervous and excited.

“First, we feel we should decorate this wall,” Suho said, revealing a box of spray paints that he had hidden in the corner. “You know, to commemorate this event.”

He passed a spray paint can to all of us and Sungjong eagerly took his. The truth was that if Sungjong took our prank to the police or something, he would have to admit to the vandalism on school property, which would get him into trouble too.

We don’t do school vandalism often, but it’s fun sometimes and in this case, it’s needed. After deciding who was going to do what, we started. We covered every inch of the garages and even I have to admit, I didn’t think we’d go this far with vandalizing school property. It just sort of happened.

“Wow!” D.O whistled. “That is a work of art.”

We all took a step back, there were two garages (that were now covered in our artwork) and the dumpster was in between them. Suho then explained what Sungjong had to do and Sungjong looked from the second floor classroom to the dumpster.

“Are you sure this is safe?” he asked.

I laughed loudly and my friends snickered.

“Don’t worry, buddy,” Chanyeol said. “We’ve done it tons of times.”

“You ready?” Suho asked, raising an eyebrow.

Sungjong nodded.

“Alright then, Kai, take him away,” Suho let go of Sungjong and he and I began walking inside of the school. I looked back and winked. Baekhyun had his phone out, ready to videotape and Sehun was sitting on the recycling bin, ready to sit back and enjoy the show.

A minute or two later, we arrived at the classroom and stood in front of the window. I opened it and we poked our heads out.

“READY?” Suho called.

I gave him a thumbs up and the others nodded.

“Go on,” I stepped back so he could climb onto the window, putting my hands into my pockets.

Sungjong looked unsure as he stared at me.

“Come on, dude, there’s nothing to be afraid of,” I said, rolling my eyes. “Just do it.”

Sungjong carefully climbed out of the window, not letting go of the sides of the window.

“Come on, Sungjong! Hurry! We want to get home before the sun rises!” Sehun yelled. I smiled to myself as Sungjong crouched on the ledge of the window, still not letting go of the sides of it.

“Come on,” I urged, but Sungjong wasn’t moving. There was a long silence in which Sungjong seemed to be calming himself by taking deep breaths.

“HOLY CRAP, THERE’S A FIRE!” I screamed. Quite startled at my outburst during his silence, Sungjong jumped and was flying out the window. I eagerly watched him head towards the garbage bins as he flailed his arms and legs.

My smile faltered as I saw him go towards the edge of the garbage bin and not directly in it. His body hit the edge of the bin first, half of it hitting the garbage bags (his head included) before he bounced off of it and hit the floor.

My eyes widened as my friends began shouting and I ran as fast as I could out of the classroom to where the dumpster was. My friends had already begun running away.

“Kai! Come!” Sehun, who was jogging away, called. The others had were shouting things too, but I couldn’t hear them. They wouldn’t leave unless we all left.

I didn’t listen to Sehun or the others as I crouched down beside Sungjong who was unconscious with blood oozing out of his forehead and his twisted arm under his head. My eyes widened as I put my fingers under his nose, thankfully he was breathing. Other than the scratch, he didn’t seem to have any head injuries since it had hit the garbage bags first and his arm had saved his head in the last fall.

Sehun was behind me, “Kai, come on, this isn’t a situation we want to be found in.”

I realized that there might have been some late nightwalker witnesses and took Sungjong’s phone out of his pocket. I dialed the emergency number and told them where to come before leaving the phone there and running away.


The next day at school, my friends and I were hanging out near the football field.

 “Man, who knew that kid was such a wimp?” Chanyeol shook his head. “How stupid do you have to be to miss a huge garbage dumpster right under you?”

 We all nodded in agreement, if Sungjong didn’t have any guts why was he so intent on hanging around guys that did?

I guess I feel kind of bad, but hey when you do something like that there’s always the chance of getting hurt. And sometimes, you gotta take it to have fun.

I saw the new man, Mr. Choi, a couple of times this week after our first face-off. He always witnessed me coming in late and always seemed to be keeping an eye on me whenever I did something wrong (like trip someone or open the zipper of a random bag so its contents spilled). His gaze always lingered over my untucked shirt and he furrowed his eyebrows whenever he saw me out of uniform (which was pretty often).

But he couldn’t do anything since he’s not a person with authority at this school and that gave me even more pleasure since he looked like he wanted to storm over and cut my hands off. I don’t know why he has it in for me, I guess he really is one of those people who judges based on first impressions, and my lateness and sharp tongue seemed to have triggered a ‘Discipline Nerve’.

The bell rang but none of us moved, we just continued with our daily conversations.

“So, that depot today?” D.O asked, bouncing a small rubber ball, he was talking about doodling on the side of the electronics depot that had just opened.

“Yup,” Suho nodded. “It’s new and I feel like we should let the owner know what happens to new things around here.”

“I’m not going,” I announced, putting my hands in my pockets.

“Why?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “I never thought the almighty Kai would miss out on ruining a lovely, new, and fresh wall.”

“Grandpa has a doctor’s appointment today,” I shrugged. My friends liked my grandpa and he’s the only exception to my ‘no respect’ rule. I’m proud to say (it’s one of the only ‘good’ things I should be proud of) that I take very good care of him.

“Good old, Kai, always looking out for other people,” Baekhyun said seriously. One second later, everyone burst out laughing.

“Yeah, right,” Chanyeol snickered. “More like save his own neck and not get into trouble.”

I pretended to throw a punch at him and we all laughed again. Then we decided to get to class and Sehun and I separated from the rest of the group.

“You do think that kid is okay, right?” Sehun asked. To be honest, Sehun has the softest heart out of all of us but I’ve known him since kindergarten and he’s cool. He may be the one with a soft heart but he’s the cruelest with his words. I think I’m the toughest heart out of all of us, that’s probably why I get along with Sehun the best.

“Yeah,” I nodded. “I think he just broke his arm, there was only a scratch on his head.”

If it had been serious, I wouldn’t have run away, but the kid was alive so all was good.

Grandpa and I live with a general surgeon, Kim Myungsoo. He’s the grandson of a good friend of my grandpa’s and my grandpa helped pay for his tuition to go to med school. Living with someone whose life is devoted to medicine for years teaches you a few things about injuries.

We strolled into class and the teacher marked us down as late. Teachers, I take pride in saying, do not bother us because they cannot handle us. Smart mouths, witty replies, and lack of seriousness just take us straight to our jittery principal.

Hardly half an hour passed after we got to class when Principal Jung came on the PA system.

“Could the following students please come to the main office: Kim Joonmyun, Byun Baekhyun, Park Chanyeol, Do Kyungsoo, Kim Jongin, and Oh Sehun.”

All heads turned our way and Sehun and I looked at each other. Sehun had been preparing to throw a paper plane but I could see it being squished in the palm of his hand.

I pushed my chair back and Sehun and I stood up and left the class. It was a silent walk to the door and when Sehun and I were out of earshot of the nosy kids, I said, “Do you think it has something to do with last night?”

Sehun looked nervous, “I don’t know….”

We walked in silence for a bit before I let out a bark-like laugh, “Why are we so worried, Sehun? It’s Jumpy Jung we’re talking about. He’ll probably give us lines knowing we won’t do them and then call it a day.”

Sehun didn’t reply and was still looking a little nervous.

“Oh come on, Sehun. Don’t be such a wuss, we’ve done things like this loads of times before and has Jung ever actually done anything to us?”

Sehun considered this for a while and then nodded, “That’s true.”

I slapped my hand behind his neck, “Let’s just stroll in there, show him whose boss, get out and then hit that lovely depot to relieve our moment’s worry. You’ve gotten really good, Sehun, that thing you did on the cop’s car was gold.”

Sehun, feeling a bit better, stood up straight and suddenly feeling much taller, we both sauntered into the main office. The others were there, looking quite as unworried as Sehun and I felt and we sat down. A couple of silent moments later, Jung appeared in front of us.

“Alright, we’ll be splitting the dream team up between me and the vice principal,” Jung said loudly, in the exact air of impressiveness he was displaying on Monday. I furrowed my eyebrows, who was he trying to impress now? “It’s time you six learned who runs this school.”

He looked at all of us, glaring actually and said, “So, we have some questions about last night, there was an incident with the dumpsters and garages I’m sure you six are all too familiar with. Chanyeol, you will see me first and then I’ll tackle two others. Jongin,” he looked at me, “The VP wants to see you especially right now, we’ll decide who comes after later.”

Chanyeol and I exchanged bored looks. I can’t believe Jung is sending me to our Vice Principal Lee, he’s a load jumpier than Jung himself, why would he send the worst out of all of us to him?

Chanyeol followed Jung to his office and I walked on a little head to the VP’s office. One glance at the missing name plaque on the door should have prepared me for what came next.

When I walked into the office, I did not see Vice Principal Lee, I saw the back of a chair behind the desk.

The chair whirled around and I found myself facing the same man Jung was trying to impress on Monday. Mr. Do-Good-Change-The-Impossible.

 “So,” he said, a hint of a smirk forming on his face. “Being late has its consequences, doesn’t it? You missed Principal Jung’s endearing welcome for me over the morning announcements as the new vice principal, in charge of punishment. I guess I will get to discipline you now, eh?”


Ouhhhhh Kai's in trouuubleee

Hope you liked the chapter! Leave a comment~!

Byebye :D