Chapter 1

Love is Blind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1

The serene sunset in Central Park, Manhattan was contrasted by a certain tall figure strutting through it. Yunho walked furiously. Each step he took exhibited how utterly frustrated he is as he marches his way through the plush greenery of the landscape to a place he has been frequenting for the past 6 months.

His irritation visibly reduced when he spotted a familiar figure sitting on the bench a few feet from him. A big, white Great Pyrenees dog sat beside the ethereal figure. Yunho gestured to the dog to not make any sound and the canine obeyed. He snuck stealthily to the seated figure and was ready for his assault when…

“hi Yunho!”

“dammit Jaejoong!” Yunho groaned. “this is not fair! How am I supposed to be a ninja now!”

The girl, Jaejoong chuckled, a pale hand covering the beautiful smile, “I think I’d make a better ninja, seeing my senses are more heightened than yours.” Jaejoong teased. The giant dog barked in greeting too, “see, Vick thinks so too.” The both of them laughed until Yunho’s laughter faded away remembering why he was here.

“you and Ara fought again, isn’t it?” Jaejoong asked noticing the tension.

“you're the only one who can tell when I’m unhappy even though you can’t see.” Yunho sighed as he sat on the bench beside her and talked his heart out. Jaejoong tilted her head sideways, as she always does when she listens to him. Her gaze was far off, but that’s only because she had no sight.

To this day the both of them remember the evening 6 months ago when they met and their friendship blossomed.

Yunho was a law student from South Korea studying in New York. In one of the cultural mixtures on campus he met Go Ara, another Korean law student just like him and the two began dating. Their concept of dating, however, was one most people would consider ‘unhealthy.’ That was because, after the first year into their relationship, their life consisted of fights and make-up . Each time they fought, Ara would go to one her girlfriends, cool off and return and the two would make up. 6 months ago, they had another of their heated debacles, but this time Ara wasn’t the one to walk off, Yunho did.

In his furious mood, he found himself at Central Park, on a lonely bench trying to cool his head. He had his head down, clasped between his hands and mumbling curses until he felt something wet on the back of his hand and looked up to find a polar bear him.

6 months ago

“what the ! There’s a polar bear in the middle of Manhattan!” Yunho climbed on the backrest of the bench to get away as far as possible. He was scrutinizing the so called polar bear and wondering why it hadn’t mauled him already. Isn’t it what they do on The Discovery channel?

He was broken of his intense scrutiny of the animal by a melodious laughter from behind the giant ball of fur. It was the first time, he noticed another person there and he kicked himself. How could he not notice someone who looks nothing short of a fallen angel, what with her snowy skin, long raven hair contrasting the milky complexion, lips so red and plump like a rose and those soulful doe-eyes that twinkled with a hint of mischief and kindness?

“Vick is not a bear, much less one from the arctic.” And her voice was just as angelic.

“then what the hell is this thing?” Yunho comes down from the safety of his perch as he realizes that the animal is on a leash, the other end being held by the beauty.

“it’s a dog, a Great Pyrenees. As you can see, it’s really ‘great’.” She giggled at her won joke.

Yunho found himself liking this new person. “sorry for my behaviour?” he a hand forward, “I’m Yunho. Nice to meet you.”

“Jaejoong. Likewise.”  She put a hand forward completely missing Yunho’s outstretched hand.

“what, are you blind!” Yunho quipped.

“yup! You just noticed, you blind too?” she retorted playfully, but Yunho felt ashamed nonetheless.

“sorry, I didn’t mean to…”

“nah! It’s okay. I’ll take that as a compliment. Isn’t it great Vick? I can pass as a regular sighted person.” The dog barked and once again Yunho’s hand. Yunho chuckled lightly at the lively girl but he wanted to divert the topic.

“are you Asian?” he asked.

“yup, from South Korea. I’m studying music in Juilliard.” She replied.

“that’s awesome!” Yunho broke into Hangeul at the knowledge, “I’m from Korea too. I study law in NYU.”

“it really is awesome.” Jaejoong spoke in Hangeul, delighted to return to her native tongue after so long, “I felt so lonely among the Americans. They

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter