chapter one

Of Bullets and Red Converse
“Code red! Jewel out of sight. I repeat, Jewel out of sight!”
 
He cursed under his breath as he ran around frantically. His eyes searched high and low, hoping the missing jewel would appear before his eyes. The crowd at the amusement park was unbelievable. The noises were over the top, the sounds of terrified screams rang through the park from every scary ride there was. The kids were being extremely whiny too, begging their parents to buy them every candy they passed. He tried his best to shut the noises of in his head, only focusing on the one target. He tugged onto the collar of his suit jacket where a small microphone was clipped on and barked away orders to the others. As one by one of the guards reported back to him with no news of her, he started to panic. She has never been missing for this long. People had their heads turned whenever he ran passed them, considering how he was dressed in a formal black suit from head to toe and running about like a mad man. The security at the park were also quite confused as to why men in black were everywhere today, peeking out of their little hut windows to see what was all the commotion about.
 
Jimin had made his fifth search around the whole park when suddenly he spotted her out of the corner of his eye. The heiress was squatting behind some bushes, shades on and waist long dark brown hair secured in a loose ponytail. She had her back to him so she didn’t notice how he was approaching her with long strides, blood boiling and hands clutched tightly into fists. She peeked out from the top of the bush occasionally and would sigh in relief when her bodyguards didn’t spot her in her hiding spot, or so she thought.
 
“MOON CHAEKYUNG!” Jimin growled as his hand tugged on the girl’s hoodie, pulling her onto her feet.
 
Chaekyung let out a shriek as her legs started kicking about like a little kid, trying to free from her capturer. The male could only sighed at his boss’s daughter before setting her hoodie free from his hold. She spun around and came face-to-face with an enraged Jimin. His jet black hair was in a mess from all the running and his suit was crumpled in places. His once smiley face was now sweaty and red, eyes drilling holes into her skull as she wore on her sheepish smile. “Uh, check?” she squeaked.
 
Jimin grabbed her arm and pulled her close. Slowly, he leaned forward and came to her eye level, closing their distance until their nose were touching. Chaekyung’s breath hitched as she froze at her spot, knees buckling. Her eyes were as wide as saucer, calculating how close both them were standing. With careful fingers, Jimin pulled off her shades, revealing those mesmerizing blue eyes. They shone like diamonds as they caught a flicker of sunlight. He noticed how she tensed when his fingers brushed against her nose and how she wasn’t blinking as her sunglasses were taken off. A smirk crafted on his lips and a twinkle of mischief played in his black orb as he whispered. “Nope. Checkmate.”
 
With one swift move, Chaekyung was thrown over Jimin’s shoulder like a gunny sack. “Yah! Park Jimin! What in the world do you think you’re doing?! Put me down this instant!” The female whined, hitting his back in the process. People started turning their heads at the amount of noise she was making, chuckling as they thought the two were a couple where Chaekyung was the sulking girlfriend and a well-dressed bodyguard Jimin was the persuading boyfriend who was tired of being Mr. Nice Guy and went with the whole I-shall-do-this-the-hard-way option. “Now, princess, you better quiet down before people start thinking I’m kidnapping you instead of being the consoling boyfriend.” He adjusted her on his shoulder which made her grumble more but kept quiet all the way as he walked out to the parking lot.
 
The other bodyguards whom stood surrounding a black limousine made way for Jimin and Chaekyung. “There you go, Moon-derella. Your carriage awaits.” He said sarcastically as he set the girl down on her two feet. She turned and glared at the boy before sliding into the limo with Jimin behind her.
 
Jimin knocked on the divider between them and the driver. “Take us back to Moon Mansion, Mr. Han.”
 
“Milady, your nightgown is ready on your bed.”
 
Chaekyung came out of the bathroom, wrapped in only a towel that came till mid-thigh with a frown plastered on her face. She brushed passed the maids and walked up to her bed. There on the red velvet silk sheets laid a lacy white nightgown –probably designer sent by her mom. A sigh escaped her faint pink lips and she picked the fabric between her index finger and her thumb, holding it up like how you’d be picking up a dead rat by the tail. Chaekyung waved it in front of the Chief Maid, Dahee, with tired eyes. “I thought I told you to never bring nightgowns for me. Only t-shirts and PJ shorts. Please!” Dahee was clearly flustered with the young lady pointing out her mistake, quickly taking the gown from her fingers and bowed in apology. Chaekyung waved the ladies off and decided to raid the closet by herself for a decent pair of pajamas. She mumbled under her breath as she tossed about multiple nightgowns stored inside her old closet, finally coming to the bottom where a pair of red Hawaii shorts and a plain white tee rested. A satisfied smile played on her lips as she threw them over her freshen-up body. Soon, Dahee tapped on the door and came in at the sound of the young lady’s invitation.
 
“Master wishes to have a word with you in the study, Milady.” She kept her head low while she spoke.
 
Chaekyung nodded and made way for the door, passing the maid slowly before pausing next to her. A thought slammed into the corner of her mind as she turned around, picking a small paper bag from under her dresser. She picked up Dahee’s delicate hands, hooking the bag’s string around her fingers. The maid looked up in surprise but only to have the girl grin back. “A present from the States. Mom had it customized specially for you, so it’ll be a perfect fit. Oh! Chanel should be worn with style and elegance, mom’s words. So I figured she meant to not have you wearing her masterpiece in the house doing the chores.” Chaekyung waved her fingers and winked at the Chief Maid before leaving the room.
 
Dahee waited till her Master’s daughter had left the room before opening the sleek black paper bag with the words ‘CHANEL’ printed in silver on the front. She took a slight peek in the bag and gasped. Carefully, she pulled out the metallic silver dress from its package. The golden studs were such a highlight on the beautiful yet simple fabric. The back would expose just enough skin to give out a y aura with the white lace running down till mid-waist of the dress. And Chaekyung was right. It did look as if it were made just for her. The dress would most definitely make her look like Cinderella, even if it were just for a single second of wearing it. The end of her lips curled into a grateful smile as she spoke, “Thank you so much, Madam. You’ve been nothing but kind to such a lowly being like me.”
 
“Come in.” Mr Moon said at Chaekyung’s third knock, slowly settling down his newspaper and took off his reading glasses.
Chaekyung carefully pushed open the heavy oak door, entering her father’s study with light footsteps. The place was dust-free and neat, files and papers were stacked neatly on his table with a name plate right at the front edge of the table. Their family portrait hung on the huge wall behind him, taken a few years ago before Chaekyung followed her mother to the States. An midsized aquarium sat at the table beside her father, colourful fishes swam about and played in their little castle. The whole place was organized thanks to Dahee who cleaned it every minute possible considering how Mr. Moon would spent 80% of his time in this place. It even started to smell like him, cigar with a pinch of spices.
“You called, Father?” Chaekyung stood in front if the table as her father beamed at her sight.
 
He ushered her to have a seat in front of him, still smiling. Chaekyun picked up a small velvet cushion from the sofa settee in the study and sat in the huge armchair, folding her legs as she hugged the pillow in her arms. Her father let out a small chuckle. The girl frowned a bit, wondering what had provoked her father to laugh which was something he hardly does. “I never realized my daughter was still a kid. You fooled me there, pretty woman.” Chaekyung smiled and made a funny face before leaning back in her chair. “So, what’s the issue? Anything I can help you with, Father?”
 
Mr Moon smiled and closed a few open files on his desk, setting them aside as he folded his arms on the table. His eyes gazed right into his daughter’s eyes. He had missed her so much. All the years he could have spent with her if not because of his work. He had not been given a chance to watch her grow. Before she could enter kindergarten, she had already left with his wife. Now that she’s old enough to run a business of her own, she has returned to his arms once again. If only time could rewind itself and he could watch her transform into the beautiful lady she had come to be.
“I just wanted to talk to you. I know you just got home and you must be suffering from jet lag but couldn’t hurt to ask you how was your stay in the States right? How this few years had been for you. High school…” He started off as casual as possible.
 
Chaekyung tapped her chin in thought, wondering where to begin. It had been so long and there’s so much to tell. She decided to just tell the week old story from before she arrived to Korea. “Well, school’s alright. It’s not too hard to fit in considering the rising amount of Asians in the States now. Mom and I even live next to a Korean family so I never got the chance to wonder off from tradition. The weather there can be out of control and the people aren’t as friendly but it needs a little getting used to. Mom says hi too. She says she’ll get back when Glitterix is done with the summer collection.” Her father nodded before asking again, “So is your heart here in one piece or you left it with someone there?” His eyebrows raised as he spoke. This time it’s Chakyung’s turn to laugh.
 
“Besides Mom? No one. The guys there aren’t my type. I mean some are okay but I’ve never seen anything in them other than friends. Maybe I’m into Korean men still?” She gave her father a little wink, making him laugh once again. Just then, a knock interrupted the homey atmosphere. Her father called out to whoever was behind the door. When the door creaked, Chaekyung stood on her knees and glanced behind the tall back of her chair.
 
Jimin entered with his usual poker face, bowed to his boss and closed the door behind him. He was still in his bodyguard attire which brought back the memories from the amusement park earlier to Chaekyung. Her eyebrows were almost joining together as she watched Jimin approach the back of her chair. He caught her gaze and slowly, that sly smirk crept on his lips. She squirmed and like a sulking child, sunk back into her seat and clutched on her pillow tightly, almost strangling it.
“Sir. Is there anything I could do for you?” He said in his soldier tone. Chaekyung’s laughter was bubbling up and she was using all her will to keep it there.
“I heard you got into a little…,” the older man’s gaze diverted to Chaekyung for a moment. “trouble this afternoon.”
“Not at all, Sir.”
 
Mr. Moon only smiled at Jimin’s white lie. He dropped his eyes and stared at his daughter, this time a little serious than their father-daughter talk just a few minutes ago. She gulped hard. Time ticked away as she waited for her father to lecture her about running away for the nth time since she got here. It wasn’t that Chaekyung wanted to go rebellious against her father’s orders but she didn’t like being followed by a group of men in black as if she were the Queen of England. Even the Queen had one or two when she walks around the house, she thought. It was disturbing to the point that when she was approached by a little kid, they had to search him for any possible weapon or a ticking bomb strapped to his body. Poor kid ran off with tears rolling down his cheeks from the ‘scary uncles’. All he wanted was to give Chaekyung a rose. Which was exactly why she dislike the special princess treatment. It was not her fault she came back to Korea and became a potential target for any of her father’s rival companies. Oh well, I’ll just defend myself flat out if anything goes wrong.
 
“Chaekyung, I know having guards around you 24/7 is a bit…disturbing–,”
 
“A lot disturbing.” Chaekyung corrected before muttering a sorry and urged her father to continue.
 
Mr. Moon cleared his throat. “Okay, whichever way you like to put it. It’s been a week since you arrived and you ran off almost a thousand times. Every time, you’ll give me a mini heart attack. Many people are out to get you since your arrival was broadcasted on the news the other time. I’m glad the media never captured your full face and no one really knows of your full profile yet. Be glad Jimin was there in time to drag you away before people could take a peek of your face.” Chaekyung couldn’t help but to roll her eyes. Jimin was going on and on about how troublesome she was when he saved her the other time. He was the one who waited at the VIP entrance when she had specifically told her father she was flying on a local airlines, not the private jet.
 
“…therefore I’ve come to a conclusion. To enrol you into high school.”
 
“Sure. Anything that you-, wait what?” Chaekyung’s took a double take back at her father’s conclusion. And I had to tune him out earlier. She mentally facepalmed herself.
 
“And you too, Park Jimin. I know you’ll be turning 21 this year but I’m enrolling you into Olympus International High School as well. Your profile will be rewritten and I’ll try my best to negotiate with the Director to have your classes arranged alike to my daughter’s. Don’t worry, your expenses will be paid and you’ll be given extra allowance while you’re in school.” Mr. Moon crossed his legs and leaned back on his chair. Jimin’s eyes were as wide as Chaekyung. Both mouths were gaping wide at the sudden solution.
 
Chaekyung was first to stand up in the matter. “Fine, send me to school. B-but why…?”
“I need someone to look after you in school perimeters. Jimin is the only one fit to join you, considering he’s the youngest out of your assigned bodyguards. That way, I won’t have to worry about you when you’re studying. Danger is everywhere, my dearest. I need to keep you safe or your mother would have me beheaded. Now,” he opened a file and pulled a pen from the holder, a cue that this discussion is over and done with. “Goodnight to you both. You’ll start school bright and early tomorrow. The car will wait for you outside at 6am sharp.”
 
“But!” Chaekyung wanted to argue further but her father snapped up from his work, eyes stone cold but clearly too tired to deal with any negotiation, made her close once again. “Goodnight, sweetheart. And goodnight, Park Jimin.”
“Goodnight, Father.” Chaekyung mumbled under her breath, dragging her feet out of the study with a quiet Jimin trailing after her.
 
“No one is going to shoot me on my way to bed, Mr. Park. You can leave now.” Chaekyung grumbled as she made her way up the steps to her bedroom, clearly annoyed that Jimin was still at her tail.
Jimin sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. “In case you haven’t noticed, I live on the same floor as you, Ms. Moon.” Chaekyung let out a frustrated noise before turning the knob of her door.
 
Before she could shut it, Jimin’s foot stopped it at the edge. Chaekyung turned around and blinked at the latter. He pointed into the room, “Your uniform is hanging at your closet door. Make sure you get ready quick.” Chaekyung rolled her eyes again and merely nodded. Jimin retracted his foot.
“Goodnight, Chaekyung.” He had whispered. Chaekyung had already closed the door. He shrugged and walked on to his bedroom, closing the door with a light thud.
 
Chaekyung pulled her face from the cool wood of her door. She had pressed an ear to listen for Jimin, making sure he had really entered his room. She even heard his goodnight. And he thought I didn’t hear. That fool. Her lips curled into a small smile. She skipped to her bed and jumped on it. The bed bounced as Chaekyung kicked about in her sheets. She stretched her arm and pulled the Cookie Monster plush that rested against the head board. The girl played with the blue toy’s arms and threw it in the air before catching it in her embrace. She smiled to herself, eyes averting to the uniform that hung on the closet knob. She rose from the bed and walked up to the closet, picking the hanger that her new uniform hung on. The blazer was cobalt blue with flair black skirt that probably came up to mid-thigh and a white button shirt. The school badge was embroidered in gold and silver, giving it a classy vibe already. Prestigious much? Father could have just have me attend a local school. She traced the badge with a slender finger slowly and spoke in a mere whisper as if only meant for the wind to hear.
 
“At least I have Jimin to accompany me on my first day. Nothing is better than having a best friend on a new beginning.”
 
She hooked back the uniform and went back to her bed, curling into a small ball in her sheets and fell asleep soon, silently waiting for tomorrow. 
 

A long first chapter. I hope you guys find it alright. Oh and would my readers prefer a song for each chapter? Please tell me what you think in the comments. And don't worry, Jimin won't be this quiet or cold. ;3