chapter eight

Of Bullets and Red Converse
And so, being suspended wasn’t too fun after all. The day was boring and it seemed like time was ticking ever so slowly, teasing her and driving her off the cliff. The young lady had woken up bright and early till memories of yesterday flowed into her mind and reminded herself that she didn’t have to get ready for school. At first, she was overwhelmed by the idea and decided to sleep more. Sadly, even after waking up at 8am, she felt all bored and fidgety. She even volunteered to help with the extra chores like watering the plants and offering to feed the pigeons her father had kept in the huge bird cage around the backyard.
 
“Milady, please. You are not fit to do these things.” One of the maids tugged on her hand, pulling her away from washing the dishes. Chaekyung chuckled and shook her head, politely prying the maid’s fingers off hers. “Don’t worry about it. I’m suspended from school so I guess this is the best I can help around. Do you want me to die out of boredom?”
 
After much failed attempts of persuasion, the maid gave up and just stood by her side. Occasionally, she would guide the girl in her chores around the kitchen but other than that, she was proud to say that the young lady is fit to be married off already.
 
She kept the last batch of dishes around the shelf when Dahee walked into the kitchen. Seeing the girl too preoccupied with her work, she waited till the girl stood up on her feet. When Chaekyung turned, she saw Dahee smiling down at her. “Oh, Dahee unnie! How long have you been standing there? I’m just done with the dishes so you can take a little rest.” She wiped her hands across the apron she wore and saluted at the Chief Maid. The said lady’s lips curled into a small smile as she checked her watch.
 
“If I wasn’t mistaken, Jimin told me to have you ready before 2.30pm. Right now it’s about 1pm and you are still in your baseball tee. Hurry up now. Chop, chop!” Dahee clapped her hands twice, sending the younger fleeing for the bathroom almost instantly.
 
Turns out, Dahee had handpicked something sweet for the afternoon trip suggested by Jimin. What in the world? Chaekyung picked up the clothes draped on her bed and stared at it. Dahee had chosen a white chiffon summer dress that came to mid-thigh and a navy blue cardigan to go with. “Doesn’t this look like something I’d be wearing out on a date?” She spoke to herself, eyeing at the clothes warily. But I am not going out on a date with Jimin…right? Denial rang through her heart but her mind told her to just switch the clothes. Instead, she dug out a pair of denim skinny jeans and a boxy, white button up. She had her hair blow dried and forced herself to look more presentable with light makeup on. Pleased with the reflection she saw in the dressing mirror, she pranced down the stairs and tripped at the last bit of steps. The clocked screamed at her at the entrance and she saw she was going to be late for their appointment if she chose to slowly pick her desired shoes.
 
“This will do!” She simply pulled out her new pair of red Converse and slipped them on just as Dahee entered the house with a bonsai pot in hand.
 
“That was not the outfit I had picked out for you.” She stared the girl from head to toe. Chaekyung stuttered a little as she racked her head for an explanation of the sudden change of clothing. She didn’t want to let the older female know she was embarrassed by the whole ‘going out on a date with Jimin’ idea.   “I-I got a call from Jimin! He said to um… wear jeans! And I’m going to be late. See you when I see you, Dahee unnie!” She playfully saluted at the older before dashing out the door, leaving Dahee as dumbfounded as ever.
 
‘Tell Mr. Han to drive you. He knows where to go.’
 
Chaekyung nodded to herself before stepping out into the garage. Mr. Han, their chauffeur, was polishing the limousine with a rug and a car polish in his hands. When he looked up at the girl, he snapped his fingers and ran into the house before coming out in his formal uniform. Chaekyung blinked at the man. “You know, you could just have worn what you were wearing earlier. I mean, faded jeans and a t-shirt isn’t too bad you know, Mr. Han.”
Mr. Han shook his head, opening the backseat door for the lady to enter. “Whenever I drive, I have to be in my uniform. It’s a chauffeur thing.” He didn’t leave out the wink after the end of his words before slipping into the driver’s seat and drove out to the driveway.
 
Chaekyung looked out at the black tinted window and notice them passing all the possible places Jimin could have wanted to meet her at. She mentally cross out the places she had in mind and decided to just ask the man who was driving her. “Mr. Han, where’re we going?” She noticed him looking at her from the rear-view mirror but he kept silent. Chaekyung frowned a bit and reached out to pat his shoulder, still he didn’t budge or peep a single sound.
“Playing the silence card huh, Mr. Han? Fine. Are you kidnapping me then?”
“I give you my word, Ms. Moon. I do not mean you any harm. Young Jimin just told me to not reveal our destination. It’s a surprise.”
 
Chaekyung pouted, crossing her arms over her bag that sat on her lap. Just then, the driver cleared his throat again and asked, “Ms. Moon, may I ask you something?” “Sure, sir. Go on.” Mr. Han sent her a small glance over his shoulders before facing the front again. “Uh, are you dating Mr. Park?”
 
She choked on her saliva. Coughing, she searched the limo for a bottle she kept in the car. She gulped down half the bottle and thought she could just ignore the question but she sensed that the elder man was waiting for her answer. Sighing, she shook her head slightly. “No, I’m not dating him. He just wanted to thank me for standing up for him the other day.”
Mr. Han’s mouth formed an ‘o’ as her nodded. “I heard about that. You became a girl MMA fighter huh, sunshine?” The girl smiled at the nickname she had been long given by Mr. Han. The memories flooded her mind and she remembered how she used to run in the backyard under the hot sunny day and grew tanner than ever. Mr. Han had given her the nickname then.
 
“We’re here, Ms. Moon.” Mr. Han stepped out the car and came to open the door for her like a gentleman.
 
As soon as the girl came out of the backseat, she was greeted with screams and cheers from around. She was staring right at the entrance to an amusement park. People were screaming their heads off on scary rides and since it was a Monday, students were filling up the place already. Chaekyung looked over her shoulder at Mr. Han who made a call signal with his hand. Fishing out her phone, she speed dialled Jimin’s number. At the third ring, he picked up and she could hear loud screaming from the other end of the line.
“Chaekyung? Where are you? I’ll come get you.”
Chaekyung looked around her as she answered, “I’m at the entrance. And you?”
 
“Right behind you.” A voice, husky and deep spoke into her left ear. The girl, startled, jumped and spun around. Jimin smiled at her, eyes crinkling into two crescent moons. He had changed out of his uniform and was now in a white tee with a vampire fanged lips printed on it. His slacks were now a pair of comfortable jeans. He passed his backpack to Mr. Han before mumbling something to him. With a nod, the driver drove off and left them standing in front of the place. Chaekyung glanced around the place and remembered this was the exact place she had once ran away to before Jimin hauled her and threw her over his shoulders, bringing her home.
“So… ready to go and play, Miss Moon Chaekyung?” He tied a ticket band to her wrist and gently held onto her hand, waiting for her response. Chaekyung felt her heart racing at the light touch and swore she had to ignore the weird fluttery feeling in her gut as she nodded, walking hand in hand with her bodyguard into the park.
 
Like kids, they were so hyped up to ride everything. Jimin was super terrified of the Gyro Drop and was reluctant to queue up with the girl. Chaekyung even had to force herself to do aegyo just to persuade him to ride on the drop with her. Without much option, he went and was then strapped into the chair next to the young lady. Her legs were jiggling with excitement, waiting for the ride to go up. Jimin, on the other hand, had a bothered and dark expression plastered across his handsome face. Chaekyung laughed hysterically when she heard an unrecognizable sound coming from her side and saw Jimin freaking out when the ride went up. They were high up in the air and seconds ticked away.
“I’m starting to regret this!” Jimin yelled from his seat, clutching tightly onto the safety harness.
 
As if in cue, the Gyro Drop dropped in full speed and Jimin was so close to crying as he screamed for his life. His voice grew so high pitched that Chaekyung couldn’t even hear herself screaming. She laughed and enjoyed the wind that blew her hair wild. When the ride came to a stop, Jimin wobbled out and it took a good amount of will and pride to contain anything that was about to lurch out of his stomach. Chaekyung jumped up next to him and cheered with her arms raised in the air.
“Wohoo! That was exciting! Jimin-ah, let’s go again. Please?” Jimin instantly dropped to his knees and shook his head furiously, his palms on the ground as he prayed he won’t leave it again. Chaekyung burst in to fits of laughter before helping him up and guided him to a nearby bench.
“Stay here, I’ll get something to make you feel better.” Chaekyung rubbed his back and gave it one last pat before heading off to an ice cream vendor.
 
Soon after, she came back and handed him a vanilla flavoured popsicle. “Here! , don’t bite. You’ll feel better.” Jimin took the ice cream grateful and it, feeling the vanilla sip down his throat. Chaekyung took a good look around them and noticed kids with their parents, walking around and laughing at all the staffs dressed in costumes. They look so happy. I miss those moments. Thoughts like that ran through the girl’s mind as she smiled absently to the people who passed her. Jimin stole a glance at Chaekyung and saw her staring blankly out to the crowd. It was as if he could read her mind and listen to her inner monologue. Suddenly, Chaekyung felt something being placed on her head. She looked up and noticed something sticking out like antlers on her temple. She reached out and touched the furry hairband. They were deer antlers. She turned towards Jimin and immediately burst into laughter. He had worn on a white kitten hairband, contrast with his jet black hair so it was so obvious. He looked extremely adorable to the point where Chaekyung had to hold back the urge to tickle his chin.
 
Jimin frowned. “Do I look that bad? Come on, most of the guys here are wearing them. Why can’t I?”
 
Chaekyung shook her head, wiping a tear that escaped from the corner of her eye. “You don’t look too bad. Just seriously adorable. Here, kitty kitty. Meow!” She purred at him and reached out to pinch his cheek without completely realizing her actions. He stared at her, frozen at the sight of her laughing and when she pinched his cheek. Her fingers sent tingles down his spine and her laughter chimed like twinkling bells. She sounds like an angel… And since when did she glowed? Wait what- Glowed? What type of person glows? He took in her features and sure enough since she was blocking the sun, the rays look as if they were radiating from her. Okay, so I’ve not gone mad. Good. Chaekyung swiped her phone screen to unlock it and clicked on a camera icon. She then moved herself closer to Jimin and angled the phone in front of them so they were in the frame together.
“We have to take a picture! Come on, smile.” She hooked an arm around his neck and pressed her cheek against his. It seemed like a friendly pose but Jimin’s heart thumped wildly in his ribcage. Regaining his sanity, he smiled for the camera and Chaekyung clicked away. They switched poses and without them noticing, they laughed along and made funny faces to the camera. Everyone who passed whispered about how that couple looked so cute together, taking selfies and laughing together. Some even said they make a pretty match and would definitely have pretty looking babies. But they were oblivious of all those comments. All they could think of was the pictures they took.
 
“Hey, Chaekyung. Want to go to the Han River?” Jimin suggested. Chaekyung, overjoyed, nodded instantly and both linked arms as they hauled a taxi to their next ‘date’ destination.
 
The sky grew a little pink and orange as time flew by. The two arrived not too long ago and Chaekyung had already started bugging Jimin to rent bikes so she could cycle. When Jimin asked if they could get two bicycles, the ahjussi just pointed at one remaining bike for rent. “You and your girlfriend would have to ride together. Come on, that’s how you two can get even closer!” The ahjussi eyed Chaekyung and Jimin had to step in his field of vision to block him from staring too much. “I’ll take it then, thank you.” He paid for the bike and walked with the bicycle to the young heiress.
Chaekyung was busy buying some snacks from a nearby stall near the river when Jimin approached with only one bike. She gave him a straight look. “Where’s the other?”
“We’ll have to share this one. All the others are rented out. You can ride first.”
 
Chaekyung eyed the bike and sighed. She approached it and saw it had a cushioned backseat for a second rider. “How about this? You cycle and I be the passenger? That way we both can ride on it.” Jimin’s body tensed at the idea and he stared at the girl. She just jerked her chin towards the front seat, urging him to go up. Jimin saw how she was just suggesting it genuinely and had no hidden intention for the ride. Man, Park Jimin. Get your head out the gutter. There’s no way she has such thoughts for you. Quietly, he sat on the bicycle and grasped the handles. Chaekyung took it as cue to sit behind him. She positioned herself comfortably and waited for him to start pedalling.
Jimin tossed a short look behind his shoulder. “You know, you need to hold onto something so you won’t fall off.”
Chaekyung looked up at him and frowned. “There’s no handles here.”
 
Jimin grumbled and hastily took her hands, wrapping them safely around his waist. Chaekyung wanted to pull back her arms but Jimin had already started pedalling, fast. Inertia almost had her fall off her seat so her instincts kicked in and she tighten her arms around  him. Jimin continued facing front so she wouldn’t see how his cheeks and ears were pinking. Chaekyung felt herself leaning into his back as the wind blew around them. His back was really comfortable for someone who had such a sturdy, muscular physique. I wonder how he looks like under these clothes. Wait? What the hell is wrong with you, Chaekyung? You want to see him shirtless?! She freed herself from her weird thoughts of possible images of Jimin being shirtless by chanting a silent prayer in her mind.
 
“Yah! Don’t ride so fast!” A voice rang from behind them. Before Chaekyung could turn to see who it was, two bicycles zoomed pass them. A boy and a girl, probably around her age, were quarrelling as they cycled side by side. The boy had lavender coloured hair and the girl’s hair looked as if they were on flames due to the lighting of the setting sun. She probably already has red hair. It’s pretty… Almost like…
“Wait, that looks like…” Chaekyung tried to look pass Jimin’s shoulder. Jimin looked around, “What? Who?”
“Oh, nevermind. Probably my imagination.” She sighed.
 
The two rode in silence after that for a couple more minutes. When Jimin’s thighs started to burn, he cycled back to the renting store to return the bicycle. Chaekyung dusted her jeans and fixed her hair. Suddenly, a banana milk came in her view. Jimin jiggled the drink impatiently and finally she took the drink with a smile. “Thank you, Jimin. You always know the drill after cycling.” She poked the straw through the seal and sipped on her banana milk. Jimin, too, drank his in silence. They sat near the river bank and admired the night view. After chatting some more, both decided to call it a day and called for Mr. Han to fetch them home.
 
The ride home felt quick and soon, Jimin and Chaekyung were making their way up to their individual bedrooms. Just before Chaekyung turned her knob, she felt a hand stopping her by capturing her wrist. She met Jimin’s intense dark eyes and paused. It wasn’t too long before that she noticed how one of his eyes were a little swollen than the other. An event crossed her mind and made her smile instantly. A young Jimin had slipped and landed hard against the toilet. He needed around 8 stitches for his eye. Poor Jimin cried so hard that little Chaekyung felt like crying herself when she saw how much in pain her best friend was in. She had peeked from behind the wall of the clinic and winced when the needle sew the cut. Now it wasn’t too visible unless you really pay attention or when he is this up close. She could even see her own reflection in his eyes.
 
Jimin wondered what she was thinking and why her—full and kissable— lips tugged into a small smile. Just as quickly as he had stopped her from going in her room, he pulled her into his chest with a hard tug. Chaekyung gasped when she felt herself bumping into a solid chest. His arms circled her small body and closed her in the hug. She felt his chin resting lightly on the crown of her head. Warmth spread around her body and weird how she felt so safe in his arms. Her hands that rested on his chest crept their way up and around his neck. She hugged him back and buried her face into the crook of his neck. Jimin could smell her hair, the scent of peaches. It smelt so well that he wanted to bury his nose in the or at least run his hands through those locks. But he held himself back. It’ll be weird if he had did that. Right now, hugging her seemed really off but he isn’t regretting. Feeling her hug him back was pure bliss to him. He remembered how they used to cuddle and play when they were kids. But after she left, he grew lonely and soon a wall formed around himself. Things never mattered to him if it doesn’t concern the safety of Mr. Moon Hwangmin. Now that she’s back, his walls were crumbling and they didn’t even put up a fight. That was dangerous. They’re older now. They can’t cuddle or anything like how they used to without sending the alarms off. Because if I ever fall for her, things would get ugly. Things would go wrong.
 
Reluctant at first, Jimin pulled back from the hug. Chaekyung was still clutching onto his neck when she felt a missing presence as his arms released her. She stared into his eyes and saw something glistened in them. Something too fast to catch.
“Goodnight, Moon Chaekyung.” He whispered and pulled her hands free from his neck carefully without breaking eye contact. She was too stunned to even reply him. He nudged her into her room and closed the door behind her. When she regained her senses, she was greeted by the darkness of her bedroom. Today’s events floated in her mind as she changed out of her clothes. She tried processing all her feelings slowly but it just confused her more. She laid in bed and pulled out her phone. She went through the selfies they took one by one.
 
The first few were a little awkward but as she swiped, she realized how they started to look more natural. The laughing and the smiling were all real. She saw how that time she had an arm hooked around her bodyguard’s neck, cheek pressing against his. She was so caught up in the moment that she had now wanted to shoot herself for being so open with the skinship. The faces they made were hilarious too as the pictures went on. Jimin had tried to bite her antler and she twisted one of his kitty ears, his face winced in fake pain. She purposely messed his hair and he had pouted in one of the pictures. Jimin even had a chance to hold the phone so Chaekyung could free do her ‘Twinkle’ pose for the picture. At the end few pictures, she realized how some were candid shots since either Jimin or her weren’t looking in the camera. One was where Chaekyung fixed her tousled hair and Jimin took it, making a fist and tried punching her while she wasn’t looking. Chaekyung laughed at that picture and swiped the screen. The second picture was where both of them were looking at each other, laughing. She must have clicked on the button without realizing, she noted. The final picture came and that was when her heart stopped beating for a mild second. Chaekyung smiled at the camera so happily and then next to her was Jimin, staring at her with those charcoal eyes. They sparkled somehow. She hadn’t realized that Jimin wasn’t looking at the camera that time and clicked away. Now she looked back, she noticed how his eyes in the picture looked just like how they had looked at her when he had hugged her. Something swirled in them. The look would be like how a boy would look at the girl whom he likes. Also how a her father would look at her mother. Love? The thought flashed in her mind which made her heart leap. She buried her phone into the sheets and shook her head.
 
“What is this? That’s crazy. Jimin won’t like me. No.” But do you like him? The little voice whispered into her ear. Her little devil said yes, but the angel is saying otherwise. Who should I listen to… The devil or the angel?
 
“Do I, or do I not? That’s the question.” With that, she brought the covers over her face and fell into a deep slumber with a certain someone appearing in her dreams non-stop.
 

please forgive me if this is a failed chapter. i hope you all like it OH AND NEXT WILL BE A SPECIAL CHAPTER!! /winkeu winkeu; hint is in the gif below