chapter three

Of Bullets and Red Converse
As soon as the bell rang, waves of students flooded the hallways. Bodies crashed into each other and the noise from all the chattering and hollering were louder than ever. A whole lot of students had wiggled into any available spots to catch a peek from the window into the classroom. Chaekyung realised the commotions going on outside and dared herself to glance sideways at the window. Sure enough, a whole lot of boys were plastered to the glass and almost fainted to the floor when they caught her eyes. Their hands formed stains on the window as they pressed on it, which worried Chaekyung if the glass could handle that much pressure until it cracks. Yoomi nodded away at what Ms. Brianna was saying. The teacher then handed her some papers before pointing to Chaekyung’s way with a small smile. Yoomi took one final bow as she saw the teacher to the door, shooing the guys that cramped up the doorway. She turned around and skipped to the new girl’s side. Slinging a hand around her shoulders, Yoomi flashed her pearly whites and chirped, “So, Chaekyung… Ready for lunch?”
 
Chaekyung gulped and looked at the window again, “Would I be safe out there? I mean, I’m happy that my presence is so welcomed but this kind of treatment seems a bit absurd.”
 
Yoomi laughed at her reaction, carefully picking the petite girl up from her seat and dusted her blazer for her. “Now, the boys won’t dare to lay a finger on you. I’ll be your personal bodyguard from now on. After all, I’m the Student Council. And did I mention that I’m a black belt in Taekwondo?” Chaekyung thought to herself a little when the word ‘bodyguard’ was mentioned. Maybe I should wait for Jimin. I’ll  text him to come me out of here. Geez, I can’t believe I’d need him to look out for me in school. Out of all places.  But before she could fish out her phone from her pocket, Yoomi had already pulled her along and out of the classroom. Guys immediately jumped on her, calling her name and whistling all at once. The noise was unbearable for poor Chaekyung. She was so close to curling into a small ball right there and then and beg for Fairy Godmother to take her home where she could be safe in her father’s arms. Just before one of the guys could have a grab for Chaekyung’s arm, a fist flew right pass Chaekyung’s face and landed square on the guy’s nose. He hollered in pain, falling back flat on his bum and covered his bloody nose.
 
“, Yoomi! Why the hell do you have to punch me in the face! You broke my nose!” The boy wiped the dripping blood of his nostrils and glared at the female.
 
“That’s for wanting to harass my new friend.” Yoomi blew her fist and shot her tongue out at the guy. Then, her charcoal orbs glared at the other boys and in cue, they dispersed in a speed of light. Chaekyung could only stare at the empty space dumbfounded before Yoomi took her arm and linked it with her own. “Don’t worry, Chaekyung-ah. I’ll make your stay here as pleasant as possible. You seem really nice and I’m sure the girls won’t mind having an addition to our group.” The ends of Chaekyung’s lips tugged and a genuine smile was formed. She felt all warm on the inside as she had her arms linked the friendly female. She had no friends in Korea, true ones that is. She had a lot acquaintances thanks to her glamorous status. All her father’s rich friend’s daughters would cling around her and go on and on about things that Chaekyung never really took much care about like money, fashion, boys… Well, other boys. Not—
 
“Hello? Earth to Moon Chaekyung.”
 
Chaekyung blinked rapidly, coming back to reality once again. Yoomi tilted her head to the side and looked at her with eyes that swirled with concern. Then, Chaekyung laughed. Something she had held back from the moment she had stepped into the school. Her laugh echoed the hallways, sounding bright and clear in her ears. She tighten her arm that linked with Yoomi, widening her smile as she did so. “I’d love to meet the rest of your friends. Now, shall we head to the cafeteria? I’m starving.” Yoomi stayed quiet for only a mere second before bursting into laughter along with Chaekyung.
“Right this way, mademoiselle.” She tugged on their linked arms, pulling the other closer to her side. With that, the two walked arm in arm to the cafeteria, chatting away as if they had known each other since forever.
 
As soon as they arrived at the cafeteria, all conversation died almost instantly and heads were turned to face the new arrivals. Chaekyung suddenly felt small from all the staring everyone gave her. Yoomi noticed how the girl’s body tensed and without much thought, reached out to put an assuring arm on the other’s shoulder. Slowly, both of them walked into the cafeteria. Chaekyung’s footsteps were hesitant and less confident than usual, eyes only glued to her shoes as she followed Yoomi’s lead. Some of the students finally tore their attention from the two and went back to what they were doing a minute ago which made Chaekyung feel a tad bit at ease.
 
“Hey! Yoomi! Over here! Yohoo!”
 
A cheerful voice floated across the cafeteria, making Chaekyung look up from the ground. Yoomi waved to someone around the far end of the cafeteria before dragging Chaekyung along her side. They reached a table occupied with two friendly looking girls. Yoomi then started squealing and going around hugging each one of them. “Hey, girls! Missed you guys even though it wasn’t too long since we last met.” Miss Medium-length Red Hair giggled, dimples visible on both her cheeks. She returned Yoomi’s hug and said, “Well, what can I say? You just love us both that much. Right, Sanju?”
 
The other female with wavy light brown hair and sun-kissed skin—Sanju, as how she was called—nodded animatedly, pushing her perfect brown waves behind a shoulder. “We’re after all, the Super Glue Trio!” The three girls then started high-fiving and laughing, completely forgetting the other being that stood just beside their table waiting to be introduced. Yoomi then cleared and walked up next to Chaekyung. “Well, now it’s not Trio but Four-io! Girls, meet the new girl and also a new addition to our crew, Moon Chaekyung. She’s a Korean-American whom just arrived not too long ago from the States.” The two girls finally took notice of the girl and greeted her with enthusiastic waves and warm smiles. Chaekyung didn’t know what to say so she just settled with a simply wave and a hi.
 
Yoomi gestured to Miss Medium-length Red Hair who had her dimpled smile on and waved, “This is Sonia. Sonia Lee. She’s the happy virus of our team.” Sonia then stood upright and curtsied, “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Chaekyung. I was wondering when Yoomi would introduce us to the new kid everyone was talking about. I hope we’ll be fast friends!”
With a little confidence she managed to grab on, Chaekyung replied in fluent Mandarin. “I hope we’ll be fast friends too, Sonia.”
Yoomi’s jaw hung ajar as she heard the Korean speaking in a language she has yet to master. Even Sonia was taken by surprise, however her smile instantly grew larger by the second and in no time her arms were thrown around Chaekyung as she bounced on her toes. “Oh god, is this an answer to my prayers? Someone who speaks fluent Mandarin! And she’s not Chinese herself!”
 
Chaekyung rubbed the nape of her neck bashfully, “Well, I did take up some Chinese classes back in the States. I can read, write and converse in Mandarin rather well.” With that being said, Sonia clapped even more and she started questioning her about all kinds of things in her mother tongue.
“Now, now. Please share the new girl with all of us there, Miss Lee. You’re forgetting that someone has yet to be introduced to.” Yoomi nudged Sonia on the shoulder, bringing her to a halt from all the talking and cracking into a sheepish grin.
Sonia then pointed out the final member of the team and introduced, “This is Sanjana Kapoor who’s a native Indian. Her father works as a specialist here in the hospital. Don’t worry, she’s lived here long enough to even know Korean tongue twisters.” This time, it was Sanjana’s turn to stand up and curtsy. The girls then giggled which left Chaekyung puzzled yet it didn’t bother her much since she found herself giggling along at the overly formal greeting.
 
“I’m Sanjana but most people keep it short and call me Sanju or Sanny. Koreans are really into nicknames so I just play along with it. But hey, if you ever need help with your wardrobe, you can always ask me. My dad might be a doctor, but I have a fashion designer for a mom!” Sanju waved her perfectly manicured fingernails and batted her eyelashes. Hearing the words ‘fashion designer’, Chaekyung almost revealed that her mother was owner of Glitterix but only then she remembered again that she was to keep low profile.
 Instead of saying much, she nodded once while thumbing up at the offer. “I’ll be sure to give you a call if I ever need some fashion tips. To be very honest, I’m into designing however dressing up myself is just too much of a hassle for me since I get lazy.” The girls all laughed and soon, they were seated down together and began talking about every random thing that came to mind.
 
Just as they were getting a bit carried away with eating and talking, suddenly a blanket of silence fell onto the crowd. Sanju then craned her neck up over Chaekyung’s and Yoomi’s heads to catch a glimpse on what caused the sudden silence. As soon as she looked at the cafeteria entrance, she gasped along with Sonia. Both had eyes as wide as saucers and if you looked a bit closer, you could clearly see the hearts forming inside their big orbs. Chaekyung too, then threw a look behind her shoulder and even she gasped. In walked Jimin with two other boys with their arms slung around each other’s shoulder. An invisible glow shone behind them as they made their entrance into the place. The three of them looked as if they were running on a bad boy fashion runway, with their blazers taken off and thrown behind a shoulder plus a bonus: their dangerous good looks.
 
“Wow, who’s that cute new guy with Taehyung and Hoseok?” Sanju whispered in a dreamy voice, her lids blinked lazily as they stared away. Sonia only shook her head and kept silence, too mesmerized by the sight before her. Before Chaekyung could tell them more, Jimin caught sight of her and instantly raised an arm in the air, waving it to catch her attention. “Yah, Moon Chaekyung!” He called out to her. And just then, the entire cafeteria had their attention on her once again. Sonia shrank into her seats before whispering, “You know him? Oh my god, why didn’t you tell us?” Chaekyung mouthed an apology and was about to turn around and shoo Jimin away but it was a little too late.
 
“Hi, Chaekyung. Missed me?” Jimin placed his palms onto the table and leaned down to Chaekyung’s eye level. Her blue eyes were taking in his every detail again, especially the eyeliner that outlined his eyes. Her insides were acting up again and her palms were sweating. She even dared herself to steal a glance over his shoulder and spotted the other two equally handsome boys. And they were all looking right at her. Oh .  
 
The once noisy table turned quiet in a matter of minutes. The three boys had made themselves comfortable on the opposite seats from the girls. Hoseok and Taehyung, as how they had introduced themselves earlier, were playing a game on their phones and were now quarrelling over some defeated high score. Taehyung ruffled his brown locks in frustration, strangling his phone in his grasp after that. Hoseok was happily cheering like a kid, mocking Taehyung which earned him a good head lock himself. “Yah, Jung Hoseok! Do you know how long I played that game to earn that high score? How dare you beat it!” Hoseok was half laughing and half choking, trying to pull his head free from Taehyung’s lock.
When he was finally free, he reached out and patted the latter on the head while cooing, “N’aw, don’t be too upset you little puppy. I’m just way more amazing that you are, that’s all. So deal with it!” Taehyung growled and pinched Hoseok’s cheek hard, making him wince in pain as he twitched in his seat. Jimin, who sat beside the two of them, only shook his head and laughed occasionally at their silliness.
 
“How did you even get to know them?” Chaekyung clucked her tongue at the two grown boys’ childishness. Jimin lifted his shoulders in a shrugging manner and said, “Pretty much how you met Yoomi. They were the only two who actually took the chance of approaching me first. Hoseok rapped and Taehyung… Well, Taehyung did an impersonation which made me laugh so I guess that’s how we became friends.” He propped his elbow onto the table and rested his chin on his fist, side eyeing the boys who were now eating peacefully as if they had never fought over the game earlier. Sonia whacked Taehyung’s hand away from her food when he tried to trick her by saying there’s a UFO in the sky just to steal a piece of her sandwich.
“Yah, Sonia! Why are you so mean to me?” Taehyung puffed his cheeks and started making puppy-whining sounds. The said girl almost gave in to his aegyo but build up her walls once again and tugged on her plate, pulling it far away from the latter’s reach before stuffing the last bite of sandwich inside .
 
Taehyung banged his fists on the table repeatedly and sang out his hunger in the most irritating tone like a 4-year-old. Sonia, clearly annoyed, groaned and slapped her strawberry yogurt carton across the table to the boy’s direction. He immediately stopped and broke into a heart stopping smile as he scooped the carton and poked the straw through the hole, sipping on the drink with delight.
“Now that’s the kind Sonia I know,” he said. His hand stretched out and pinched her lightly on the bridge of her nose. She froze for a moment when he did so and a faint shade of pink grew on her pale cheeks. A smile threatened to craved on her lips but she held it in by biting on her lower lip and took Sanjana’s leftover cupcake.
Hoseok took a muffin from his plate and handed it to Sanju, “Here. You can have mine, dance partner.”
“Oh no, it’s alright. I’m really full already. Besides, the bell will ring in any minute now.”
 
As if in cue, the bell did ring. Students rose with their plates in hand, placing it neatly at the assigned place before entering for their next class. Jimin was first to stand and took Chaekyung’s plate before she could protest. He flashed an eye smile her way and said, “Taehyung and I apparently share the same class afterwards so we’ll see each other there.” He waved her off and carried her plate for her.
“I’ll see you guys later. And Sonia, please save the seat next to you for me so I can have the cookies later on.” Taehyung waved goodbye and left the table. “In your dreams,” Sonia mumbled and pulled out her cookies from its hiding spot inside her bag pack. “This was meant for us to share during History. Now that alien saw it. I’ll have to split the bag then.” Sonia started rummaging her bag for an extra plastic bag.
Sanjana looked up and caught Hoseok looking at her. She raised her hand in a mild wave, “I’ll see you during dance practice then, Hoseok-ssi.” The latter’s lips curled into a small smile as he nodded. “Sure then, partner.” With that, he too left the table with Taehyung and Jimin.
 
Yoomi sighed, “Well, History time. Mr. Kim isn’t going to be happy if we’re tardy again.”
The two girls groaned in sync as they made way out of the deserted cafeteria. It was weird how with the mention of History, the two girls went from hyper pups to undead zombies in a matter of seconds. Chaekyung turned to Yoomi and frowned. “Please don’t tell me History is going to be boring.” Yoomi stretched her arms over her head and twisted her hips as she stood up. “Okay then,” she yawned. “But don’t tell me that I didn’t try to warn you.” Now it was Chaekyung’s turn to groan as she linked her arms with Yoomi’s and walked to their next class.
 
It was indeed a boring session of History. The teacher was a complete drag. Practically the whole class was dozing off, or maybe just daydreaming and doodling whilst praying for the time to quickly go by. Only a handful were actually paying attention but then the rest were just soulless bodies, minds wandering off to God knows where. Yoomi let out a long yawn before rubbing her eyes, continuing with her notes jotting in her spiral notebook. Chaekyung had her elbow propped onto her table, balancing her chin in the palm of her hand. She aimlessly looked around the bored class and caught the eyes of an equally bored Jimin. As soon as he met her gaze, the once pressed lips formed a slight smile and he brought up a hand to wave at her slowly to avoid being caught by the teacher. Chaekyung returned the smile but quickly realized her actions before clearing lightly and faced the front of the class again. Jimin only chuckled before going back to highlighting some lines in his book.
 
The bell rang again. Everyone let out sighs of gratefulness, completely ignoring the teacher’s assignment session. Chaekyung scribbled what was need for the homework before stuffing her books into her bag. Yoomi wiped the corner of her lips and looked around with droopy eyes, “Is hell over already? Can we go home now?” Chaekyung laughed and replied with a mere nod before helping the girl up to her feet. She turned around to call on Sonia and Sanjana when something flew right pass her head. She barely ducked it and spun around to see what was the flying object. The packet of cookies Sonia had packed earlier now smacked right at the back of someone’s head. And then, angry dark eyes glared back at her. The boy, tall and bulky, pushed back his seat and marched over to her place.
“What the hell did you just—,” he was just about to pull Chaekyung by the collar when Taehyung ran in front of her and pressed his hands onto the latter’s shoulder, pushing him away a couple of inches.
 
“Wow, wow. Eden! Relax! It wasn’t her fault. I was pulling on the cookies from Sonia when it slipped right out of our grip and…”
 
The boy, Eden as referred to by Taehyung, reached out to grab his collar instead. He easily picked him up and shook him in the air lightly. “You think it’s funny, you little weirdo! Just because your parents own Voltax Industries, you think you can start picking fights?! Well, your goofy days are over, pretty boy!” His voice was filled with rage as he raised a fist over his head.
 
“Eden Kim! Hold it right there!”
 
Taehyung cracked open his eyes. Chaekyung instantly had Eden’s hands pried off from her friend as she dusted his blazer. “Now, Eden, you won’t want to ruin our image in front of such…,” A hand pushed aside the fuming boy and another boy, leaner than Eden and with platinum blonde hair, came into view. He was handsome, with a mysterious aura circling around him. He smiled at Chaekyung, a hand stretched out in front to offer a handshake.
“Hello there, I’m Lee Junhyeon. You must be…,” His eyes bored into her blue ones, paralyzing her from head to toe but before she could take his hand in hers, someone stepped between them.
“Moon Chaekyung. And I’m Park Jimin.” He grabbed the other male’s hand and gave it a firm shake. Surprise hovered just a mere second over Junhyeon’s face before a light chuckle escaped his lips. “Well, how very delighted to meet you, Park Jimin. I’m hoping that this lovely lady here,” his eyes looked pass Jimin’s shoulder to meet a shy Chaekyung before he continued. “isn’t Little Mermaid where her voice got taken away by the evil sea witch that she can’t introduce herself.” Junhyeon released his hand from Jimin’s hastily , stuffing them into his pockets.
His eyes never left Chaekyung as he spoke on, “I’m looking forward to hearing your voice, Miss Chaekyung. Till we meet again.”
 
Junhyeon picked up the fallen cookie packet and threw it to Jimin’s direction. Jimin expertly caught the cookies and growled. The Malfoy look-alike walked away with Eden trailing right behind him. Just then, Taehyung yelped in pain. He rubbed the sore part of his head and blinked his sad puppy eyes at Sonia. “Hey! I just got grabbed by Hulk! The least I need right now is another whacking.”
Sonia, fiery eyes and all, snatched the cookies from Jimin’s hands and jiggled it in Taehyung’s face. “Well since you almost got Chaekyung punched, you don’t get to have this!” With that she stomped out of the classroom with her bag and cookies in her embrace.
“NO! Not the cookies! Chaekyung wasn’t the one who got grabbed by the collar! Wait, no, Sonia! My cookies!” He dashed out of the classroom after the girl.
 
Yoomi came up to Chaekyung’s side and placed a hand over her shoulder. “Are you alright? I hope Hulk Eden didn’t startle you there. I’ll definitely give that Taehyung fool a good high kick when I see him tomorrow!” Chaekyung only shook her head with a meek smile. Jimin grabbed Chaekyung’s shoulders and spun her to his direction. She froze and stood rigid in front of him.
“I don’t want you crossing paths with that guy. Ever!” He stated sharply, eyes hard and cold.
Chaekyung sighed and brushed his hands off her shoulders before walking out of class with Yoomi by her side. “Come on, Jimin. The car will be waiting. We’ll have this conversation at home.”
Jimin narrowed his eyes and grumbled, picking his bag and throwing them over his shoulder, following the girls out.
 
Darkness slowly fell over Seoul’s skies. Chaekyung capped her ball pen and kept her papers in a neat pile, happy to have completed her homework for today. She massaged her shoulder blades and looked around for the time. It was 7pm already, dinner time approaching. The knock came to the door before a head poked in. Dahee smiled when she saw the young lady up and ready to come down. But her eyes trailed down the clothes she was wearing and frowned.
“What?” Chaekyung questioned, feeling oversensitive about her dinosaur jumpsuit pajamas.
Dahee shook her head and pointed at the closet. “Change to something less child-like. We have a guest downstairs. Master has strictly ordered you to put on your best dress.”
 
Chaekyung groaned as soon as the maid left the room. She pulled on her clothes and turned towards her mirror. An exact replica of her stood in the mirror, looking rather hilarious in a dinosaur costume and messed up hair. So this is what History and Mathematics homework does to me. I look as if I just escaped an asylum.  She opened her closet and rummaged around for a comfortable piece to wear, changing out of her pajamas. Finally settling with a blue mini dress, she fixed her hair and pinned her brown locks in a bun. Just as she stepped out of her room, she was greeted with Jimin who was dressed in his regular bodyguard attire only looking much better with his high school bad boy makeover. He looked her up and down, giving a satisfied grin before putting out an arm. “Your Highness?”
Chaekyung poked her tongue out. “Don’t mock me.” Ignoring his arm, she made her way down the stairs with Jimin grinning still behind her trail.
 
“Ah, my princess has finally arrived.” Mr. Moon clapped his hands as he welcomed Chaekyung in his arms. She hugged him affectionately before letting go and faced the guests seated at the table. Upon seeing the guests, she almost tripped over her heels just as an arm reached out to grab her by the waist and pulled her up. Platinum blonde hair. Mysterious aura. The familiar latter flashed that dashing smile.
“What amazing reflexes you have, my boy! I apologize for my daughter’s clumsiness, Mr Lee.” Mr. Moon took his daughter by her arm and steadied her, the boy remained standing in front of her. “Mr. Lee, this is my daughter, Moon Chaekyung. Sweetheart, meet my new business partner Mr. Lee Jinwook and his son…”
 
“Junhyeon. Lee Junhyeon.” The boy picked her hand carefully, as if it were a fragile item and placed a kiss on the back of her hand lightly. Chaekyung melted all over on the inside. Jimin, however, looked ever ready to punch the smile right off his face.
 
“It’s nice to finally have a clearer view of your pretty face. And your pretty blue eyes, Chaekyung-ssi.”
 
Smooth talker huh? We’ll see how well you talk with your teeth punched right out of that stinking mouth of yours. Jimin curled his hands into fists as laser beams shot out of his eyes. 
 

To make up for not updating in awhile, here's a long chapter. I hope it isn't boring. I feel like it is. I'm sorry if it . T.T More would come with the presence of more new characters. Since it's an international school, I had to include foreigners and coughs my name coughs AND MALFOY LOOK-ALIKE BECAUSE DRACO MALFOY IS SO HOT hahahaha xD