chapter two

Of Bullets and Red Converse
The morning was pure evil. The young lady was still enjoying her little trip to Dreamland when the alarm clock buzzed away. The annoying sounds of the morning radio with the DJ greeting the morning tuners in that annoyingly jolly voice of his interrupted her dreams. In frustration, she brought the covers up and over her head, deciding to just ditch her first day of school at Olympus International High School. Just then, the door opened and Dahee entered with her arms behind her back. She saw a motionless Chaekyung still in bed and sighed.
 
With a soft tone, she called out. “Milady… It’s time for you to get up now. You won’t want to be late for school.”
 
Still no response from the sleeping being. Dahee tried again, this time a little louder than before. “Milady. Please wake up. Now.” But yet again, the sleeping form did not budge. Oh well, I guess I have no choice but to do this now. I’m sorry, dear Chaekyung.  Dahee brought the sprayer that she had hid behind her back when she entered and aimed it for the girl’s face. She gave the covers a hard thug, sending the covers falling on a pile at the foot of her bed. Her index finger pulled the trigger and icy cold water sprayed on Chaekyung’s face multiple times, soaking her pillow already. Chaekyung screamed. She thrashed about on her bed in attempt to block herself from the cold water spraying on her. Giving in to the cruel wakeup call, she sat up with a jerk and glared at her maid. Dahee wore on an emotionless expression as she calmly kept the sprayer in her front apron pocket.
 
“This was Master’s orders. Please forgive me. Now get ready for school. I’ve already ironed your uniform. I’ve picked out your hair ribbon to match your uniform. Please be down by 6.30 as Master wishes to have breakfast with you.”
 
Her orders were simple but stern which got Chaekyung up on her feet and already headed for the bathroom for a nice morning hot shower. It took her a good 30 minutes to wash herself and out of the bathroom. Checking the time, she threw on her uniform and tied her hair with the cobalt blue ribbon that Dahee had handpicked before walking out of the door with her bag slung casually over her shoulder. She practically skipped down to the kitchen when she halted. Her breathing stopped and the rate of her heartbeat increased. It was so loud she thought it would jump out of her ribcage. The reason to her reaction had his back facing her as he sat at the table enjoying his breakfast. A similar blue blazer hung behind his seat and a backpack was located near the leg of his chair. His feet thumped to an inaudible beat as he forked some eggs and ate them heartily.
 
Minhye, the Head Chef of the house, came out to serve some hot waffles when her eyes met the girl’s. A bright smile lit her face as she greeted the young lady. “Why, good morning Ms. Moon. I’ve prepared waffles. Blueberry, as you always liked. Your father wanted this morning to be special for you.” In cue, her father came down the staircase just as Jimin turned around and looked over his shoulder. Chaekyung jumped when they made eye contact, bumping into her father who was wrestling with his tie early in the morning. “Oofffh! Chaekyung! You’re jumpy in the morning.” He let out a small chuckle, tie hanging loose from his neck. “Would you be a sweetheart you always are and help your old dad out?” A flustered Chaekyung snapped out of her thoughts and tried to ignore Jimin who still had his eyes glued to her back as he munched on his toast. Chaekyung knotted the tie and soften it before patting her father on the shoulder. “All done, Father.”
Mr. Moon smiled and reached out to pinch his daughter on the cheek. As he made way to his regular seat at the end of the table, he saw Jimin and broke into a proud smile. “Wow. I see you’ve gone with a new look there, Park Jimin. Ready to kill the high school ladies with that bad boy image I see.”
 
Chaekyung quietly slipped into the seat opposite Jimin, planning on completely avoiding eye contact but failed miserably when her father had touched on the issue about his new look. Jimin wore on an embarrassed smile as he cleared his throat. Chaekyung took a short glance at Jimin once more. He had cut his hair. Before, he had an almost mushroom-like hairstyle with his fringe in the front, the typical Korean boys hairstyle everyone had. But now, it was a little thinner and less fluffier; shorter around the back and his fringe drooped over his right eye. Chaekyung even took a double take back, squinting her eyes at his face. Is he wearing…eyeliner? And since when did he get piercings? Better yet FOUR?!  She must have been staring too long because she was caught totally off guard when Jimin looked up at her from his breakfast. That gaze was even more highlighted now that Jimin wore eyeliner. Chaekyung dropped her knife in surprise, a faint shade of pink grew on her cheeks as she picked on her waffles. Mr. Moon noticed how his daughter reacted to the boy’s new look and smiled. If only his wife were here to see it, she thought. It was so long since these two met and Chaekyung could hardly recognize him when she first arrived. The elder man finished his breakfast first and dabbed his mouth with a napkin before rising from his seat. Jimin stood immediately to bow at his boss but Mr. Moon just waved at him, telling him to finish his breakfast.
“I’ll be off to work now. I have an early meeting with the shareholders. Mr. Han is already ready with your ride to school so don’t have him wait too long. That was meant for you, Moon Chaekyung.” Mr. Moon gave a pointed look at his daughter.
“Alright, Father. Have a good day at work!” She chimed, eyes forming two crescent moons as she waved her father goodbye from the breakfast table.
 
As soon as her father left, an awkward silence fell upon the table. The two didn’t even exchanged greetings, only quietly finishing up the breakfast that was prepared. Jimin was the first to finish his breakfast and took his plate in hand, however remained upstanding while Chaekyung still ate her breakfast. When she noticed he was still standing, she forced herself to look up and blinked. He eyed her plate before saying, “I’ll grab your plate as well. I see that you’re almost done anyways. You get into the car. I’ll be right there.” Chaekyung bit on her lower lip and before he could stop her, almost inhaled everything on her plate and dashed to the kitchen with her plate and placed them into the sink. She let out a small smile as she walked back out, only to have Jimin getting in her way at the entrance. They almost bumped into each other and unlucky for her, Jimin was just a few centimetre taller than her so they were almost at eye level. It was frustrating to meet his eyes now since it looked so much more attractive with that thick eyeliner. He used to have smaller eyes which Chaekyung loved teasing about but now, she hated how it looked so good.
 
“You know, if I am not wrong, I’d say you’re trying to avoid me already this early, Ms. Moon.”
 
Chaekyung snapped out of her daydream and blinked once at his words. The mischievous twinkle in his eyes were back and suddenly, he smiled. His eye smile was now even more charming, somehow managing to kill her internally. In seconds, Chaekyung punched him hard on the chest and grumbled under her breath while she shoved passed Jimin. He rubbed the sore area where she had landed her punch but kept that smile as his eyes trailed after her till she walked out the door.
 
“Yup, my bad boy concept works wonders alright. Special thanks to Dahee noona.” A chuckle escaped his lips as he too placed his plate into the sink and grabbed his blazer along with his backpack, getting ready for school.
 
“I’m not getting in that.”
 
Jimin let out a long sigh as he came out of the car. Chaekyung had her arms folded across her shoulders, a pout formed on her face as she gave the transport an evil eye. Jimin stood beside the opened back door and made a sweeping gesture with his hand, “Your carriage awaits, Moon-derella. Now can you hurry up before we’re late for our first day of school?” A pinch of annoyance was clearly visible in his tone but his expression was as stone cold as usual.
 
“I’m not going to my new school in a limousine! How exaggerating is that?!” She waved her hands at the metallic black vehicle before her. “Don’t you know that riding a limo to school would mean I’m some rich brat whose father owns almost half of Korea. Literally! You guys said you wished I keep a low profile. But what is this!”
 
Jimin was so close to tying her up and throwing her in the bonnet. He took a couple of deep breaths before pulling off a forced smile despite how close he was to actually shouting at the heiress. “I know that. But may I remind you, we’re going to Olympus International High School. It’s where almost every kid rides a limousine to school. Now if you’d just get inside this instant before we’re late, I’d be much obliged to console your father about your future school transportation.” When the girl had not took a single step into the car, he lost it and reached out to pull her arm. She took a few steps back but still wasn’t too fast to dodge Jimin’s grip. He stared into her eyes, silencing her with his fierce gaze. His patience had reached the highest point and even Chaekyung knew not to argue further to avoid any possible consequences. Finally giving up, she stomped her feet against the pavement in frustration and entered the limousine. Jimin pinched the bridge of his nose, bringing his anger to level zero before sliding in after the girl and closed the door.
 
The ride was quiet all the way. The two sat at opposite ends of the seat, heads faced outside individual windows. Chaekyung admired her hometown that she had missed so much, taking in the new environment and found herself smiling again. Jimin on the other hand constantly stole quick glances at her to make sure she wasn’t attempting any escapes from the limo at every red light. She was too occupied with the view outside her window to even think of running away which made Jimin heave a sigh of relief. From her reflection, he could see how she was smiling softly and that frown was long gone. She looked better when she smiles, he thought. Her blue eyes sparkled with wonder when they laid eyes on something she liked like the pastry stores and the arts and craft centre. If only she was more lady-like, I’d say she’ll make a fine heiress when she gets older.
 
The school was just a thirty minutes ride from her mansion. As soon as the limousine drove through the school gates, students’ heads were already turning and invisible question marks floated around their heads at the new car entering the school. Chaekyung’s palms were already sweaty from the unexpected attention she was receiving so she tore her eyes away from the window and stared at her hands on her lap. The car stopped right at the entrance of the school building. A nervous Chaekyung was reluctant to step out of the car until her doorman came out and opened it for her. She stared at the red carpet spread in front of her path, leading up into the school hallway. The kids around the area already had their focus on the limo, smartphones in hand and ready to spread the news about the new kid.
 
Chaekyung started trembling and her breathing quicken. Just then, she felt a hand pressed against her back. She turned her head and saw Jimin who smiled at her softly, in a way telling her that everything will be alright. A warm and fuzzy feeling filled her when she saw how he smiled at her. Unintentionally, she broke into a smile herself and nodded. Before she could figure out what she was doing, her left leg was already out of the limo. Carefully, she stepped out of the car and fixed her backpack strap over her shoulder. Behind her, Jimin stepped out and Chaekyung swore she heard squeals from a far corner. And Jimin already gained fangirls. Wow. Way to start his first day of high school…again.  
 
Before the two could make their way up the carpeted steps, a man not any older than her father came down with his hands behind his back. Chaekyung and Jimin stood side by side, wondering who this man was. The girl noticed how Jimin stepped up front and blocked Chaekyung partially as the man approached. The elderly man rubbed his jaw as he eyed the latter but when his brown orbs met Chaekyung, a wide smile broke free from his once rigid face.
 
“My, my. Moon Chaekyung. It’s an honour to have finally met you. Your father has told me so much about his darling. I hope you’ll have a wonderful stay in our lovely school.” He said in a sing-song voice, pretty much creeping her and Jimin out.
 
The man notice the slight tension and laughed out loud. He patted his slight potbelly and refrained himself from laughing any louder. “How silly of me! Let me formally introduce myself, I’m Shin Dongyup, principal of Olympus International High School. Namaste!” he said before clapping his hands together and bowed a formal Indian way. Chaekyung turned to her side and saw an equally confused Jimin who looked about close to phoning a mental institute.
 
“Now, now. Don’t just stand there. Bow back! It’s courtesy sake,” he repeated his earlier actions. “Now say, Namaste.”
 
Jimin and Chaekyung had no choice but to follow their new whacky principal. Principal Shin’s smile never wavered as he came between them, slinging an arm across each of their shoulders as if they were long lost chums. Chaekyung was intimidated by her new principal’s weird gestures but it somehow made her laugh and soon after, they were smiling and chatting while walking to the administration office. Students all greeted him casually and he in return waved or called out to some of the students whom he knew their names.
 
“Good morning, Principal Shin! You’re looking extremely handsome this early. And I’ve got to say the tie looks fabulous on you.” A girl popped up from behind them, sending Chaekyung’s heart to a mini heart attack from the too-chirpy voice she had used to greet the elderly man.
 
Principal Shin dropped his arms from the new students and went straight to the girl, crushing her in a big bear hug. Chaekyung blinked at the sight before them. Jimin was equally surprised since his eyes were as wide as Chaekyung’s. The principal then spun the girl around, facing Jimin and Chaekyung with the same creepily joyful smile. He patted the girl beside him on the shoulder. “Kids, meet my daughter and also the Student Council of Olympus International High, Shin Yoomi,” he introduced and the said girl dipped in a formal bow. “Now, sweetheart. This is the two new kids you’re assigned to bring to their classes. Chaekyung will be in the same class with you while Jimin would be at Chemistry.”
 
Yoomi saluted to her father with two fingers, wearing the same cheeky grin that now Chaekyung was positive Yoomi had inherited from her Cheshire Cat incarnation father. Principal Shin then skipped off, literally, to his office not forgetting to greet even the plants on his way. Chaekyung and Jimin had their eyes on their new principal’s back when Yoomi cleared , bringing them back to reality.
“Pardon my father. He’s always this joyful to the point where he sometimes tends to go too overboard. But don’t get me wrong, his mental state is all well. I’ve made him go to the doctor’s to have a check.” She let out a child-like giggle before turning around, urging the two to follow her. “Come on, first lesson’s waiting. Are you two good in English? Ms. Brianna is a lovely teacher and she is super hyped up to meet you two. Are you two siblings? Wait, you two don’t look alike. Are you two cousins? Hmm, seems a bit legit considering how you two look a bit distance. What’s your favourite sport? And my, my. Chaekyung! I love your eyes. Are you wearing contact lenses? They look beautiful on you!”
 
And Shin Yoomi went on and on. Chaekyung would nod and smile from time to time when an answer is not needed but she had come to like this adorable Student Council. Chaekyung faced Jimin who looked at her back when he felt her looking. He was smiling again, shaking his head at the chatterbox Yoomi at the lead. A thought fluttered into Chaekyung’s mind while she stared at Jimin.
 
Not only I have a jolly principal and a bubbly Student Council who’s potential girl best friend material, but I have Jimin who’s next to me right now. Maybe I might actually find myself liking this new high school life…
 

Another update. Well how's Shin Dongyup for a principal huh? I swear he's the best around and I had to put him in here. And in case my description is crappy, Jimin's bad boy image is actually his style for Boy In Luv. That hair, the school uniform and eyeliner.
        
I hope you guys find it nice so far. Comments are much loved and so is subcriptions!