chapter five

Of Bullets and Red Converse
The coach stared at the two males. Both had hard, cold looks in their eyes. Chaekyung stood frozen beside Jimin who had his fists clenched hard until his knuckles turned white. She reached out to touch his shoulder and pulled him back slowly, whispering into his ear. “Stop it, Park Jimin. Don’t cause a scene now. I’ll just run the la—”
 
“Very well then!” Coach Jung slapped his clipboard hard and turned to Junhyeon, pointing him out. “Lee Junhyeon, come out.” He snapped around and looked at Jimin, signalling him to step out as well. Jimin freed the girl’s hand from his shoulder, giving her an assuring look before striding up next to Junhyeon. The coach eyed them both from up to down before going back to his clipboard and scribbled something on it. While writing, he shouted out, “Baek Jongjin!” The said boy stumbled out of the crowd, pushing his glasses up to the bridge of his nose nervously. Coach Jung raised a finger and pointed to a storeroom at the end of the gym. “Grab the vest!” he ordered, sending the boy running immediately. Chaekyung looked around the students and noticed how their expressions darken, whispering to one another. The blue-eyed girl searched for Yoomi, wondering what was all the whispering about. Yoomi brought her finger up and dragged it across her neck. A neck slice? Wait…that means… Chaekyung turned at the sound of Jongjin’s hurried footsteps. The skinny fellow was panting hard, grunting as he tried to drag a black vest with him.
 
Jongjin dropped the vest at the coach’s feet and almost fainted on his way back into the group. Coach Jung easily picked up the vest, hitting his clipboard against it to rid of the accumulated dust. The vest resembled a bulletproof one, padding with weights all around the front piece and back. And sure, it looked pretty heavy by the rate of how the coach’s biceps bulged as he slung the vest over his shoulder. All of the students had their breathing paused and their finger crossed. Whoever who gets the vest is truly unlucky. Chaekyung took this chance to run back to her friends’ side.
“What is going on? What’s with the bulletproof vest? He isn’t going to shoot them, right?” She had her hands over her heart, easing her heartbeat. Yoomi leaned closer to Chaekyung’s ear and whispered. “He usually gives the vest to show offs. That vest weighs about 20kg. The last person who wore that was never seen in our gym class ever again.” Chaekyung covered in horror. Oh no… Please… don’t let it be…
 
“Well, Mr. Park. Since you were the first to volunteer in running Miss Moon’s laps, you shall do so. 10 laps!”
 
Jimin smirked, stretching his hands in front of him as he turned to begin the runs. “Piece of cake,” he muttered under his breath. Just as he was about to run off, Coach Jung threw the vest over him and with a hard thud, Jimin’s knee met the hard gym floor. Rage filled his eyes as he snapped around to meet the smirk on the coach’s face. “You shall wear the vest. Maybe that might teach you the lesson of not interfering with my stamina lessons. Every student here can run 10 laps, be it female or male. Moon Chaekyung herself did not complain so who are you to step up and act like a hero?” Coach Jung smacked his clipboard on Jimin’s head. The boy lowered his face to the ground, hiding all the anger that were bubbling up inside of him. Chaekyung couldn’t bare the sight in front of her. Jimin has never looked that beaten down before. He was pausing too long. She stepped upfront but the coach glared back at her. “If you dare say a word now, Miss Moon, I’ll make you wear the vest and run 20 laps. Get back in the group!”
Jimin looked up when the coach scolded her. He met her sad blue eyes. He shook his head lightly and pushed himself up. The coach had an amused smile on his face as he watched Jimin’s every move. Coach Jung patted Junhyeon on the shoulder, “You, my boy, run 10 laps as well. Show me the spirit of the basketball team’s captain.” Junhyeon nodded once and made his way up to Jimin’s side. The blonde-haired boy outstretched a hand towards the latter next to him, “Good luck, buddy. Prove Coach Jung wrong.”
Jimin made a straight face at the fellow’s hand as if it were a foreign object before facing front and getting into a runner’s pose, ignoring the handshake. “Oh, I’ll prove him wrong alright. I don’t need luck for that.”
 
The two boys sprinted at the sound of the whistle. Despite the heavy weight on him, Jimin was making real good progress and within minutes reached his 6th lap. However, Junhyeon was way ahead of him by two laps. He even had time to send a wink Chaekyung’ way which angered Jimin even more and like a race car on nitrous oxide, he ran even faster. Junhyeon let out a small chuckle when Jimin ran past him, slowly picking up speed himself. Sweat drenched Jimin from head to toe. His charcoal black hair plastered to his forehead as he ran. The vest limited his speed but he still ran faster than Chaekyung could. Everyone—except Chaekyung, Yoomi, Sanjana, Sonia along with Taehyung and Hoseok— cheered aloud when Junhyeon finished his 10th lap. Seconds later, Jimin came to his final round. As soon as he stepped on the breaks, he dropped flat on the gym floor.
 
“Park Jimin!” Chaekyung and her friends ran up to him. Chaekyung kneeled down beside him and examined his expression. His whole body was trembling; chest rising and falling rapidly with mouth agape. His eyes were tightly shut and his face was red. Chaekyung was so close to crying when she felt a squeeze on her hand. She looked down and saw Jimin entwining his fingers with hers. “I’m alright…,” he mouthed before letting go his last bit of energy and went motionless. Chaekyung shook him violently and began slapping his cheek, calling out to him. All the students huddled around them and witness the scene but none made a move.
Coach Jung came out and scoffed. “That’ll teach him a lesson. Take him to the infirmary.” Turning back to the students, he blew his whistle and spun his finger in a circling motion.
 
“I swear if that punk knew I was a trained bodyguard, I’d have…!” Jimin winced in pain, holding his head in his hands.
 
Chaekyung couldn’t contain herself any longer and sure enough, she clutched on her tummy as tears formed in the corner of her eyes as her laughted poured out. Good thing both of them were alone in the infirmary so she didn’t have to stay silent as how the nurse had ordered before. Her friends had left a while ago when the nurse only allowed one to stay. Taehyung and Hoseok had whined all the way while carrying an unconscious Jimin until the bed. Yoomi had ran off to informed their classes about the situation and got a pass for Chaekyung. The girls returned to class and promised to inform any assignments when school’s over. Not long after, Jimin regain consciousness and was back to his whiny self.
 
“That punk you’re referring to is our PE teacher, Jimin.” She pushed him back lightly against the headboard and poured a glass of water.
 
“But still! He had no right to yell at you like that! If he knew who your father was, he’ll be peeing in his tracksuit!” Jimin punched the mattress before creasing his eyebrows when his headache kicked in. Chaekyung shook her head and handed him the glass with a tablet. “Take this. It’ll ease the headache. You shouldn’t be talking too much as soon as you wake up. And I should be yelled at. I mean, I had low stamina and this is PE we’re talking about. All I had to do is work on my game and run the laps quietly. You didn’t have to step up and make me look as if I’m some princess.” As she shook, her mind travelled back to that moment. All eyes were on her and gossips went around, about how she is acting all princess-like and couldn’t even complete 10 laps without having someone stepping in to take over. “She’s such a brat! I could tell by her face. Just look at her! Wearing that blue contacts just to pull off that Western look. Please!” Those were the words she heard someone say from behind her while Jimin and Junhyeon were running laps. It hurt her pride a lot, seeing how not one but two guys tried to help her out. She wasn’t weak and she knew she could have lived through the laps.
 
Jimin saw the look she wore. Hurt and embarrassed. Suddenly, guilt washed over the lad. He cleared his throat and sat up straighter. “Look, Chaekyung, I did you a favour there. Do you want to run 10 laps? Seriously. You should be thanking me there. And…” He forced his words back down his throat when Chaekyung glared at him. Her eyes were now like sharp icicles. If looks could kill, Jimin knew he would be dead right now. “I-I’m…sorry,” he muttered finally while lowering his gaze.
“It’s okay,” Chaekyung sighed and took the empty glass from his hand. “I know you mean well. But promise me, next time do not help me out with matters like this. I can handle it myself. And remember, I’m to keep low profile. If anyone knew I was Mr. Moon Hwangmin’s daughter and you’re not 17 years old, you and I both can get expelled. Though I highly doubt I’d get expelled… But you get the point!”
Jimin nodded slowly and crossed his heart. With that Chaekyung smiled softly. “So, how was the experience running with a 20kg load on you?” Jimin frowned, moving his shoulders in a circular motion. Only sore muscles remained from that ‘delightful’ experience, he had wanted to say out loud. Chaekyung laughed on just as soon as the faint sound of the school bell rang through the room. Both of them looked up at the door when it creaked open.
 
A head peeked in through the gap. “Jimin up yet?” Junhyeon stepped into the room carefully, pushing back his platinum blonde hair with a brush of his fingers. Chaekyung immediately shoot up from her seat as if it were on fire. Jimin turned towards the girl and noticed how her smile grew even wider. The boy fought the urge to roll his eyes when she offered the newcomer water and a seat beside Jimin’s bed. Junhyeon smiled at Jimin, a sincere one but still unaccepted by the other. “Hey there, buddy. How are you doing?”
“Never been better,” Jimin replied a little too sarcastically, making Chaekyung pinch him under his sheets. The latter yelped, surprising Junhyeon.
“You did well out there. Running with 20kg on your body and still keeping pace with me is truly something not everyone can do.”
Jimin sat up straighter and smirked. “I’ve been trained well enough to even outrun a horse. Running with extra load is just an understatement to what I’ve been given during my training.” Chaekyung stiffen at his words. It was a bit impossible to outrun a horse since that bit was exaggerating. However the skills he had developed from his intense bodyguard training is outstanding and incomparable to what PE can do.
 
Junhyeon leaned closer with interest swirling in his eyes. “You had training? Like those military ones? Wow. For what purpose?”
Chaekyung averted her eyes to Jimin, wondering if he was going to reveal anything just to show off. He didn’t, fortunately. Only going for a simply reply. “Fitness.” He lifted his shoulders in an arrogant shrug. Chaekyung can’t help scoff at him but still relief he hadn’t said too much. Junhyeon nodded as an amused smile formed on his handsome face. “Sounds like something a basketball team captain should go for. You won’t mind helping me sign up for it? I’d be glad to train along.”
Jimin replied dryly. “Sorry, it’s a private training session. Outsiders—or strangers, aren’t invited.”
Junhyeon rubbed the nape of his neck, his laugh had a hint of disappointment. “Wow, you really don’t like me, do you? Look, dude. I’d love to be friends with you. You seem like a pretty cool guy! I hope you’d just realize that and come to your senses. My offer to have you as a friend and also a new recruit for our basketball team is still open, just so you know.”
Chaekyung had her eyes glued to Junhyeon’s back as he walked out of the door. His straightforwardness surprised her, including Jimin. The young girl looked back at her bodyguard, disappointed and upset bubbled in her. “I don’t understand you, sometimes. He’s just trying to be nice and you’re there acting like… Oh forget it.”
“I trust my instincts, Chaekyung. I know he isn’t a good person. He’s up to no good. His aura tells it all!”
The bell rang before she could reply, indicating the end of school hours. She picked up her bag and Jimin’s, avoiding his eyes completely as she packed up the empty food containers on the table for disposal. “Your instincts may be wrong. It’s been awhile since you’ve met guys your age, I’m sure. If you can’t accept slight differences in people, aura or whatnot, the only no good person now would be you, Park Jimin.”
Jimin kept silence as Chaekyung helped him out of bed and walked them out to the awaiting limousine.
 
Sonia had sent the homework list through KakaoTalk that evening. Chaekyung changed from her blue uniform to a comfortable pair of basketball shorts and sleeveless shirt. Her hair was pushed back with a red hairband and a cup of cocoa sat next to her pencil case as she worked on the Mathematics assignment. She bit on the cap of her pen, feet tapping impatiently as she figured out a possible solution. Pressing on the calculator only resulted to more wrong answers. She groaned, slapping her book shut and knocked her forehead against the desk.
 
A knock made her sit up. She glanced at the clock. It’s pass dinner. What would Dahee need? She called the person to enter, picking up her mug and sipped slowly. When Jimin entered the room, Chaekyung choked on her cocoa. Her tongue stung from the hot cocoa. Jimin stood just a few steps away from the door as he waited for her to speak. She retracted her tongue that she stuck out earlier and spun on her chair to face him. He was in a comfortable attire now, a red shirt with baggy shorts that made him look more of his age. “What can I help you with?” Chaekyung hardly spoke formally to Jimin but probably her anger triggered this side of her. She felt bad when Jimin hung his head low and stepped up to her. He brought out his hands from his back, a book in hand.
“I’m having trouble with my Maths. Could you help me for a bit?” His words were hesitant as if afraid she might yell at him and chase him out the door. To his surprise, Chaekyung pulled a stool next to her and patted the surface. Jimin walked up and sat quietly on the prepared stool.
Chaekyung took his book in hand and flipped through the pages. “So what you need help with? I’m stuck at question 10 so anything before it should be alright.”
Jimin pointed at question 5. Chaekyung started explaining the steps and he listened attentively, solving the question as she spoke. After a couple of rounds, Jimin finally captured the concept of everything and broke into a smile. The corner of his eyes crinkled slightly as they formed eyesmiles. “Thank you there. I think I’ve finally became Math genius!”
“Pfft, Math genius my foot!” The girl kicked him playfully and laughed along.
 
“Chaekyung, I’m sorry.”
 
Chaekyung stopped her laughter and stared at Jimin. He had stop laughing too, a serious expression replaced his once smiling face. The look in his eyes were sad and regretful as his hands picked nervously around his shirt. “For what?” she had asked.
The boy sighed, recalling their previous conversation in the school infirmary. “You know, about being mean and cold to Junhyeon. I didn’t mean to. It’s just that…”
Chaekyung waved him off. “I understand. Like I said, it’s been awhile since you’ve been around guys your age. And I also understand that you’re doing your job in protecting me. I’m sorry for speaking so harshly back then.”
Jimin smiled, shaking his head. “It’s my duty. You didn’t have to be sorry. Sometimes, I still need someone to tell me what’s right and what’s wrong. Since my parents aren’t around to tell me.” At the mention of his parents, his face harden. The memories of his father and mother floated into his mind. Only then he realized he missed them so much. Tears were fighting to form in his dark eyes. He decided to focus on the study lamp on Chaekyung’s table. The light glared right back into his eyes, pushing his tears back. After a while, he rose and picked his book with him. “Well, thank you for helping, Chaekyung. I’d be off now.”
 
Just before Jimin could turn the knob, something stopped him. He looked down at a pair of arms wrapped securely around his waist. He glanced over his shoulder, but all he could see was the crown of her head. A sudden heat burned his neck and cheeks. He started wiggling under her back hug. “Um, Chaekyung? Chaekyung-ssi?” Her grip only tighten at his fidgeting. He cleared his throat in attempt to wake her from whatever trance she was in.
“I know you had to live away from your family just to work here and take care of a brat like me. I’m sorry. Deeply, in fact. I promise, one day, I’ll make Father send you home to see them. I really will!”
Jimin turned to face her. She looked up with her big blue eyes, clear as crystal as they blinked up at him. His lips broke into a wide smile, pearly whites flashing as he rose a hand to ruffle her messy brown hair. Both said their goodnights and went into their individual rooms. Chaekyung waited till Jimin closed his door before entering her bedroom. Hugging herself, she shuffled to her bed and fell flat on it, smiling ear-to-ear.
 
“Oh my God! Homework!” She slapped her forehead and went back to her study table.
 
Chaekyung let out a zombie-like moan as she banged her head against the table. Yoomi clucked her tongue as she tore her eyes off her sports magazine. “Yah, Moon Chaekyung. Did you have to complete all the assignments in one night? Didn’t you remember that Mr. Banister said that only one is needed to be handed in today?” Chaekyung shook her head, forehead rubbing against the table. Sighing, Yoomi went back to her reading when suddenly someone dragged her by the shoulder. She looked up in alarm and met a panting Sonia. Sanjana came in after in the same state as the other girl, pulling sleepy Chaekyung up.
“Yah, yah, yah! What’s going on?!” Yoomi looked around and noticed how much noise just the few of them were making. Sonia waved her question off and started running off out of the library. Chaekyung was even more blank than Yoomi. She tried yanking her arm away from Sanju but the Indian girl had a strong grip on her arm. “Where are you two kidnapping us?” She asked in a monotone voice, struggling to keep her lids open and the girl’s running pace.
 
“No time to talk! The Jaguars are on the hunt for Miss Moon here!” Sonia continued running, hair tousled wildly and blue blazer flapping around her.
 
Everyone was curious as to what was all the running about. Chaekyung apologized to some who she bumped into while her eyes were dozing off. She pushed her hair away from her eyes. “Jaguars? Wait, there are jaguars in the school?!” Chaekyung’s head snapped left to right, imagining the big cats crouched, ready to pounce on her.
“The Jaguars are our school’s cheerleading team. Believe me, if they’re looking for someone, it’s never a good thing.” Yoomi answered in an alert tone. Chaekyung didn’t know what was going on but she still ran anyway. Just as they were close to an exit door which lead to the staircase down to the principal’s hallway, the girls came to a halt. Chaekyung slammed right into Sanjana’s back, falling back backside first. Sanjana reached out to pull the girl up her feet and apologized quietly. When she looked up front, she froze. Not just her but practically everyone in that very hallway. A group of girls had blocked their path. Cobalt blue and white painted their miniskirts and crop top. The Jaguars were all Barbie-lookalikes, pretty faced and S-line bodies. Their long hairs were tied up high with matching white ribbons. But that wasn’t the reason everyone turned ice. It was that fiery look in their perfectly drawn eyeliner-rimmed eyes that scared everyone. The girl in the middle took a step forward, hands went up to her hips as her lips curled into a sly smirk. She looked like a fox—80% because of her tanned red hair and the other 20%... Just because.
 
“So the blue-eyed one is Moon Chaekyung?” The fox-like girl asked over her shoulder, eyes not leaving Chaekyung. One of the girls made a sound, a yes perhaps.
 
Miss Foxy came closer to the girls, close enough to look over Yoomi’s shoulder since she had stepped between them. She threw a side eye glance at the principal’s daughter. “Step out of the way, Yoomi. There’s no need to get overprotective. I was just planning on welcoming the new girl.” Her voice was rather sultry, making Chaekyung feel even more uneasy than she already is. The sirens rang through her heads. She knew this group, this girl in particular, is to avoid at all times.
Foxy threw her arms in the air. “Oh c’mon! I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself!” She looked past Yoomi and smiled at Chaekyung. There was nothing friendly and warm about that smile. Keeping silence was her best option right now.
 
“I’m Nara, Min Nara. The Queen of The Jaguars. And I’m here to offer you a spot in our cheerleading team. We could use another pretty face. What do you say?”
 
Chaekyung almost choked on her saliva. Her friends were wide-eyed as they looked around at each other.
 
 Join the cheerleading team?!  You’re kidding…right?
 

This update is lame omfg pls don't kill me ;w; And I love the comments, you guys! Don't be silent readers okay? I don't bite.~ edited a bit around Junhyeon’s conversation with jimin btw