prologue

Of Bullets and Red Converse
The boy fidgeted uncomfortably in his seat, pulling on the knot of his tie as cold sweat trickled down his neck. His father took his hand and gave it a slight squeeze before setting it down onto his lap. The latter’s eyes wandered from left to right but still no sign of the man him and his father was waiting for. The coffee shop gradually lost its crowd and soon, only the faint lingering smell of caffeine was left. He looked up to his father and asked, “Appa, do I really have to do this? What if I’m not good enough? Is this a sign? Maybe God is telling you that I’m not ready to take over –, ” His father rose a hand to cut him off. Footsteps could be heard making their way to the only occupied table seated in the centre of the deserted café. The young boy gulped while his dad had sat up straighter than before. Soon, a group of well-dressed men walked around the corner and advanced to the table. They wore shades even though the sun was long gone; their black suit jackets hugged their broad shoulders and their faces meant business. They looked scary in the 6-year-old boy’s eyes. He slipped his cold hands in his father’s big ones, eyes never wavering from the men in black. The boy’s father got up from his chair and bowed to the approaching men. The bodyguards stepped aside to make a small clearing, revealing an elderly man in the centre. The man looked sharp and powerful, shiny black hair combed to the back of his  head  and smartly dressed. Unlike his bodyguards, the man had on a small smile upon seeing the boy’s father. He walked up to him and both shook hands.
 
“It’s an honour to be at your service, Mr Moon Hwangmin.” His father spoke in an ever-polite manner as he waited for the older man to have a seat.
“Ah, yes. If it isn’t my most trustworthy Chief Bodyguard and dear friend, Mr Park. I’m glad you’re able to come in such short notice.” Mr Moon diverted his gaze from the father to the son. The lad fought his urge to hide behind his father’s leg and stood tall like how his father was, bowing politely to his father’s boss. “And you brought handsome young Park Jimin with you, just as requested.”
The elder man smiled down at Jimin before looking down behind his legs and spoke in a hushed voice. Slowly, a brown head peeked out from behind him. The little girl had her long hair covering almost half of her face, allowing only Jimin to catch a glimpse of her pale complexion and blue eyes. He was taken aback by them as it wasn’t usual for him to see someone with eyes the colour of thin ice in Korea. Mr Park called out to the little girl and cooed at her beauty, making her even more shy than she was which sent her hiding behind her father once again.
Mr Moon chuckled and tugged on her petite hands softly, pulling her to his side and introduced her to their guests. “This is my daughter, Moon Chaekyung. Chaekyung dear, please greet the uncle and the oppa in front of you.” The girl still with her face concealed behind her long wavy brown hair only dipped her head in a small nod-like bow and muttered a faint hello before wiggling into the seat next to her father.
 
Mr Moon chuckled at his daughter and patted her head softly. “Pardon my daughter. She’s really shy when it comes to strangers.” After that, the two older men settled into a friendly conversation, leaving the two children awkwardly sitting there in the midst of all the adult talk. Jimin often glanced up from his glass to peek at the quiet girl sitting opposite him. She never once looked up at him, only had her eyes glued to the napkin in her lap. Her delicate little fingers pinched at the white cloth, eyebrows furrowing and with that she let go of the cloth to search her little purse she had slung across her shoulders. She pulled out a neon pink pen and went scribbling away on the cloth. Jimin blinked at her, wondering what on earth she was doing doodling on a napkin like that. After she was satisfied with her work, she turned to her father and snuck the napkin into his hands. “Father, this is for you.” Her voice came out as a mere whisper before ducking her head down, hair blocking her face once again. Her father laughed and hugged the napkin to his chest, smiling fondly at his daughter. “Thank you, my princess. You have a wonderful hand for arts and designing, like how your mother does.” He then pushed the napkin into his pocket, gave it a good pat and looked up at his friend. This time when he opened his mouth to continue their conversation, his eyes changed and his expression harden. His tone too dropped lower as he stretched his head forward to deliver what he had come to tell.
 
“Now, Mr Park. You know how we will grow old day by day and eventually leave this world?” Mr Moon crossed his palms on the table and anticipated the man’s answers. Mr Park nodded faintly and cleared his throat before answering, “Yes, I am aware of that, Sir.”
“Very well. Now what I came for today is to ask you for a favour.”
“A…favour, Mr Moon? What will it be?”
The edges on his eyes wrinkled as he smiled at his friend before averted his gaze to his daughter by his side. “My angel, my only daughter, would be the heir to the companies in belonging of my wife and I. I know it’s a bit too soon to know if it’s business or fashion designing but clearly you can tell that someone her age is highly influenced by her mother’s fashion designing.” He gestured to his pocket where the napkin Chaekyung had drawn on was kept in. Mr Park nodded again. “So,” Mr Moon continued on. “I’d like to ask for your permission on this one favour of mine.” Mr Park could sense what was coming as he was prepared for this favour of his boss. He reached out to take his son’s hand in his and responded to Mr Moon with a signal to carry on with his request.
“I’d like to have your son, Park Jimin, as my daughter’s future bodyguard.” Mr Moon said, finally.
 
Jimin gulped loudly and looked up to his father. Unlike him, his father had on a calm expression as if he were ready for this request. He turned to his son briefly and nodded once to assure him everything will be alright before going back to Mr Moon. “I’m glad to hear that my son is your choice. Out of all the young guards that came forth to volunteer for this position, you’d chosen my flesh and blood.” Jimin stared at his dad’s side profile, noticing how the old man’s eyes were starting to look teary from his view. Mr Park wiped off any signs of tear off his face and reached out to shake his boss’s hands. He was glad to know that now his son’s future was determined. He knew that all the training he had made his son undergo was not to be at waste. Mr Moon let out a sigh of relief, smiling down at Jimin as he ruffled the little boy’s hair.
“I can tell from the first moment I saw you that you were going to be a very suitable lad for my daughter. To be her bodyguard is to be the closest person to her. The one person who knows her needs, her likes and dislikes, her fears… To be her bodyguard is to be a part of her.” Mr Moon paused for a moment, taking in a deep breath before continuing. “I am positive that your father had brought you up well, young man.”
 
With that, the two men shook hands and parted ways. Chaekyung got up from her seat and dusted her dress before turning around to leave. But before turning out of the café, she had managed to look over her shoulder and caught Jimin’s gaze. Only then he finally gotten a chance to see how she really look. Her complexion looked pale but lovely with her striking cold blue eyes that suddenly looked sparkling to him. For someone her age, she still had her baby face and therefore her cheeks were rosy and squishy. She didn’t look too much younger than he was himself. The little girl brought up a hand to wave at him but before Jimin could return her with one, she had left. Mr Park smiled down at his son. Slowly, he bend down to match their eye level and gripped onto the little boy’s shoulders lightly. “Do you know how proud I am of you now, Jimin-ah?”
It wasn’t always he would hear his father address him so fondly even though they shared a strong bond. Usually, his mother would be the one cooing at him and calling him ‘kkomaengie’ at most times. Hearing now that his father used such a tone to call him, he knew his father was true with his words. He was really proud of him. With a small smile, Jimin nodded and wrapped his arms around his father’s neck, pulling him into a hug.
“I know you’re ready.” He hugged his son back and whispered into his ear. Training his son at such a young age was eventually going to pay off. No matter how Jimin whined and cried over all the hardship, it was all for his own good. Mr Park knew his life was slowly draining out of his body as the days go by but he only kept it hush for his son. He didn’t want his son to feel that every day of his dad’s living life was a ticking time bomb. He wanted his son to spend time with him like usual and not to create special memories before his death. The killer inside him was growing and spreading, blocking the arteries to his heart. Slowly, his heart would beat slower and eventually it’ll stop. Not today, then maybe tomorrow. It’s alright now, he thought. As long as he knew the future for his heir was brighter than any day and that he knew Mr Moon was in good hands.
 
“At least I know I can rest in peace now.” He mumbled. Jimin pulled back and stared at his father. “What, appa?” he asked. Mr Park chuckled only, shook his head and stood up, walking hand in hand with his son to the car.  

 


I hope this prologue is alright. I missed writing but I guess my skills aren't too developed. I'll update again soon. Most probably tomorrow. Pardon any grammartical error! I'll double check it tomorrow as well.