II

Beyond the Borders

THE PRESENT

 

 

Hyundai Chungun Private and Boarding High School is the most prestigious educational institution in the Ulsan City. Located in the Dong District, HCHS offers educational facilities the best that South Korea can give to its citizens. Everyone who learns or becomes an alumni from this school always have a bright future waiting for them, this school produces no ordinary people. The alumni(s) are either rich, very rich, or successful. If you want to apply your portfolio in any University with the school’s emblem printed on your paper; one can guarantee that it is impossible for a University to not accept your application

Even one of the former Presidents in the country studied in here, hence, he was the best leader that South Korea has ever had. Not a single student in this school is plain, simple or ordinary. Everyone must have their own special skill, because being ordinary is basically a death sentence in place.

That’s basically Chanyeol’s life in short, a ing death sentence. He can’t do anything worth anyone’s time, he’s not as smart as that Do kid in math, nor he is as handsome as the Oh Sehun from his P.E class, heck, even his fool of a best friend is frankly, an amazing dancer, he moves like a swan and twirls like god-knows-what-comparison Chanyeol should put.

Park Chanyeol genuinely doesn’t have anything special that he can offer to his school, sure he can rap, but he’s not good enough to get signed up my SM or YG entertainments and make his name up there along with the many Korean artists with too many plastic surgeries covering their already perfectly shaped faces. He can cook stews there and here, but even his mother swore that she would never hire him in her kitchen.

But despite the many things that can threaten his confidence in this school, Chanyeol  is still grateful for the musical genes that he gets from his paternal side of family, although he’s not as good as he’d hope he was, his skills in music and playing instruments (hopefully) can guarantee his future as a music teacher in some school or private institution. In the least, Chanyeol doesn’t have to bring shame to his own self and family by staying at his parents’ house until he dies old and smelly.

It’s the end of June in 2010 and school has been hectic and chaotic, students running from one class to another as they chase the teachers and beg with their lives to get an A, teachers staying up late as they give the students an extended lesson for the upcoming finals, parents stressing out trying to find good universities for their children and the list goes on and on. But of course, Chanyeol (and his best friend are) still not giving any s about that.  

Kim Jongin is his name, a junior who is stupid enough to befriend with the Park kid, apparently, recently signed a contract with SM Entertainment as one of their trainees and not to mention that now he feels like he’s about to fall off a cliff, or at least that’s what he keeps telling Chanyeol at every lunch break,-

“Hyung, I swear, one of these days I’m just gonna collapse and never wakes up” Jongin whines with his deep weird voice.

“Well” Chanyeol starts nonchalantly “If you died, that Rolex of yours would be very welcomed on my wrists”

With his face on the surface of the table, Jongin once again lets out a childish and long whine and if it weren’t for his deep voice, the kid would sounds like he’s receiving a here in the cafeteria. “Hyung, I’m being serious”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes, he puts his chopsticks and takes a sip from the carton of milk, yuck, chocolate, he scrunches his nose in disgust as the awful taste of cocoa hits his palate. The school really needs to serve meals for adults, not toddlers. “Seriously though, it up, Jongin. You knew what to expect when you signed your into that company, now you must suffer the consequences of your decision”

Another whine, that brat.

“Aish, jinjja!” Chanyeol grunts in annoyance as he smacks the younger’s head, making Jongin yelps in surprise.

“What was that for?!”

“For you being such a spoilt brat” Chanyeol glares. “Look, you should feel lucky, okay? You got signed up in one of the most famous companies in this bloody country, this is basically a chance of a lifetime. People would kill to be in your shoes, hell, I would if you weren’t my best friend.”

“But-“

“But its tiring and exhausting, yeah, yeah” the older waves is hand,”I know, I know, but this is the riddle to get into the paradise, you brat. Just think about how marvelous you’d look in magazines as one of the members of god knows what boyband they’d put you in.” From the corner of his eyes, Chanyeol sees a small framed kid walking into the room with tray of foods of his hand, the kid’s round eyes looking around as he trying to find his friends. Chanyeol smirks, “And besides, think about the fact that Do Kyungsoo will finally notice your brown throughout all the dorky and embarrassing layers that cover your weird face, and you can finally tap that ‘perfection’ and live with him for happily ever after”

Not surprising enough, Jongin’s sorrowful face turns weird when his plump lips stretch a wide smile that reaches his eyes at the mention of his crush’s name. Chanyeol shakes his head in disbelief, this kid.

“You’re right” Jongin nods, looking determined. “I’d have to stay strong and be famous so that I can be in the same level as Kyunggie” He trails his eyes onto the Kyungsoo and watches him laugh with his other ‘posh’ friends. “This is just a piece of cake” Jongin chants and he sounds more like he’s trying to convince himself rather than talking Chanyeol. “I can do this”

Chanyeol smacks his head again.

“Of course you can, Babo”

~

Chanyeol is, frankly, the class clown.

He gets the title not because he is good at make jokes and being funny but because his whole body and attitude is a joke to his schoolmates. It’s not all insulting really, it’s just that he is so tall it’s literally so awkward for him to stand properly because he kind of looks like an alien, not to mention that he has big ears, hence, the nickname ‘Yoda’ comes up from his friends’ mouths.

His voice is so deep, deeper and harsher than Jongin’s and he sounds really manly, mature and s but his face is all kawaii and childish. His voice and face don’t match each other, when you stare at Park Chanyeol as he speaks, you’d laugh so hard because you can’t tell whether he looks stupid or sounds ridiculous.

He is well known but not popular like Oh Sehun or Do Kyungsoo thanks to their face and brain, but people still recognize him nonetheless. Well, it would be impossible to not too seeing that he’s practically a man tower, so it’s very easy to distinguish Park Chanyeol in a crowd. But his friends are fond of him also because of his happy personality, the boy rarely get grumpy and never once act like an arrogant (Unlike Oh Sehun), Chanyeol is weird but still likeable in his own way.

He is clumsly, always tripping at his own foot, he is responsive, he gets startled easily, he’d scream with his deep voice echoing through the room when someone shocks him by patting his back out of the sudden. His eyes would bulged out when he is in awe, his mouth would form an ‘O’ and you can take a peek of his perfectly shaped teeth and Chanyeol would look so, so innocent like a baby fell from heaven.

Then he’d choked on his own spit and looks stupid all over again, the cycle continues on and on as his classmates laugh fondly at the silly, lanky and tall boy

But Chanyeol tries though, he tries to be popular like Oh Sehun and creates a ‘band’ consists of three people, himself, Jongin and a kid named Jongdae, who is also stupid and a friend of Chanyeol’s (but not best friend, because Jongdae doesn’t want to give Chanyeol his baseball card, so he’s not Chanyeol’s bestfriend. Yet), unfortunately for them though, the band had to be dismissed because both Jongin and Jongdae are too busy practicing their vocals and dance moves while Chanyeol is the only one available in his garage, drumming and playing guitar until his fingers get sore.

 The only one who knows about his supposedly to-be-famous band is Mrs. Park, his annoying and dearest mother.

Despite of the many stupid things Chanyeol has done to make a fool out of himself, the boy still walks with his head held up high, being ordinary and simple is not a problem to him, not having any boyfriends or girlfriends doesn’t matter to him because, hey, maybe he doesn’t want to be burdened by the fact that he has to take care of his future spouse, and work his off as an accountant every day to get salary and just to give the money back to his wife or husband when he gets home. No, he prefers to be single and do whatever the hell he wants when he grows up.

Long story short, Chanyeol’s life is simple and happy and Chanyeol is also happy.

Well, maybe not for two hours in every Fridays, because that’s when he has his P.E class. There’s also  Oh Sehun, a kid who makes it his daily job to torment Chanyeol and makes the stupid giant looks stupider than he already is.

The thing is, Chanyeol’s life is not a movie from the west, he’s not your stereotypical nerd boy who is loved by the most beautiful girl in school and has to compete plus bullied by the popular jock in school. Because god no, Chanyeol barely gets Algebra, he hates books, the girl is currently not exist plus the fact that he doesn’t want to have a girlfriend at the moment, the last part though, is completely and utterly true.

Oh Sehun, is your stereotypical mean jocks you’d see in the movies from America. Sehun loves attention, he loves boys and girls throwing themselves at him, he looks cold, and acts arrogant, which until this point still makes Chanyeol wonders, why would someone sees a cold and arrogant boy as hot or appealing?

Sure, he is kind of attractive, but physic doesn’t last long, personality does.

Then again, if Chanyeol thinks about it, none of Oh Sehun’s relationship ever last long, and when you break up more than just several times, the problem isn’t in your partner, but yourself.

And now it’s the bloody Physical Education, so there must be some kind of physical movements that the students have to do and Chanyeol is very, very clumsy, the number of him not tripping and falling is outnumbered by the times he does, and somehow, his schoolmates find this entertaining. The boy doesn’t mind though, because their laugh is not insulting, it’s sincere.

But today is different, because Sehun looks more pissed than he usually is, and Chanyeol gets more attention from his mates and its taekwondo, this martial art is also famous for its hatred towards Chanyeol.

“Park Chanyeol?”

A female voice breaks Chanyeol out of his thoughts.

“Yes, Mrs. Lee?” He raises his hand.

The middle aged woman, who long hair is tied into a ponytail smiles and gestures her hands for him to come up on the mattress “Go on, kid” She nods at him “It’s your turn”

Chanyeol bites his lip and looks around nervously before nods numbly and walks to the matrass, just as he is one foot away, the devil chooses the awful time and makes him trip. Chanyeol lets out a muffled groan as he gets up on his feet, the sounds of his schoolmates laughing puts a blush on his cheek.

“Be careful, you clumsy boy” Mrs. Lee chuckles as Chanyeol step on the matrass. “Alright, let’s welcome Chanyeol’s opponent, Oh Sehun!”

Sehun doesn’t budge from his feet.

“Sehun?” Mrs. Lee calls again. “Come on, son, it’s your turn”

“I’m not going up against him, Mrs. Lee” Sehun replies curtly, and Chanyeol can feel that this isn’t gonna be good.

Mrs. Lee raises her eyebrow “I beg your pardon?”

Oh , Chanyeol inwardly groans. This is the last class he’s having before the final examination and he’s not gonna let some spoilt, ungrateful and ignorant brat ruin it for him.

The hottest boy in school rolls his eyes. “What’s the point, anyway? He’s going to lose either way, I mean, look at him, he can’t even go to the matrass without falling on his own of a foot” Sehun says mockingly, he’s pointing at Chanyeol as he pretends to fall, mimicking what happened to Chanyeol earlier. “I’m not going to lower myself and supposedly ‘fight’ with a loser who god knows will never do anything right”

“Excuse me” Chanyeol cuts him off “I don’t think that it is very wise of you, Sehun. To throw someone under the bus? Really?”

Sehun grits his teeth, his hand pointing at Chanyeol “See what I’m talking about, Mrs. Lee? He can’t even talk sense”

The tallest boy in school takes a deep breath to calm himself, the other kids are watching them with their mouth open like fishes gasping for air, bet the school doesn’t provide them with enough drama. “Sorry? Not making sense? Pardon me, Oh Sehun, but if you’re that awful at taekwondo you don’t have to bother to insult me and make it as if I am the one who’s horrible at it. You can just tell Mrs. Lee that you’re scared less-“

“Mr. Park!”

“…And just skip your turn so that I can fight a decent opponent who’s strong enough to fight back and not cowardly enough to put me under the bus” Chanyeol finishes with a huff, he smirks internally when the students gapes at the scene in front of them. It’s not every day you get to see the school’s god being humiliated by the school’s biggest joke.

The cold looking boy’s face turns bright red in immediate when he hears some students snickers at Chanyeol’s remarks, embarrassment bubbling up from his head down to his cheeks, making his pale skin turns scarlet as strawberries. He just really hates everything right now.

“You know what?” Sehun sneers. “ you, Park Chanyeol. I don’t have time for this . I’m out, I don’t have time to deal with a big disappointment like you” And with that, Oh Sehun walks out of the gymnastic.

“Whatever” Chanyeol yells before Sehun is out of his sight “At least I am not a coward!”

~

Chanyeol gasps dramatically in horror when someone slams his locker door hard, nearly injuring both his face and hand in process. “Holy !” He curses, eyes are in round shaped as he glares at the person before him, oh, its Jongin. “Yah! Be careful of what you’re doing, I could’ve lost my hand”

Jongin rolls his eyes “Oh, don’t be such a drama Queen, Hyung. Anyway, is it true?”

“What?” Chanyeol asks as both of them start walking out of the school’s main lobby.

“Oh Sehun” Jongin says, his eyes not leaving Chanyeol’s face.

“What’s true?” Chanyeol repeats his previous question. “That he is a big jackass? Or the fact that he’s a spoilt brat underneath that ‘cool’ mask of him”. The older moves his hands into the air quote motion as he says the cool word.

“Woah” Jongin gasps like an idiot, amazed by the fact that this hyung is capable to make Oh Sehun blushed like a fangirl. “It’s true then, you really did embarrass him in front of the whole school”

“For your information” Chanyeol corrects him “It wasn’t the whole school, it was the whole class. But yeah, I did manage to shake the kid up and made him realize that he’s not as powerful as he thought he was”. He smiles sheepishly at Jongin, just as he’s literally a step farther towards the school’s gate, a kid whose name Chanyeol couldn’t remember pats him in the back and thanks his mother, not him, his mother- for existing. Before Chanyeol can say anything, the kid is already out of his sight.

“Damn” Jongin whispers, his eyes trailing as the kid runs. “You really did knock Oh Sehun out, Hyung”

“Aish” Chanyeol nugdes Jongin’s ribs, not hard enough to hurt. “Don’t give me too much credit, kid. You’re making me blush”

“And… the dork side of Park Chanyeol is back again” Jongin declares. “Hyung, if you could just like, I don’t know, hide this side of you, you could actually be the new Oh Sehun in this school. Without the part of course”

“Jongin, Jongin, Jongin” Chanyeol shakes his head as he ruffles the younger’s head. “I know that I’m not smart, but I seriously cannot believe that there is someone not smarter than me.”

Jongin scrunches up his nose and looks up at him, raising an eyebrow “What are you talking about now?”

The round eared boy lets out and exasperated sigh “If I was the Oh Sehun, without the part, I wouldn’t be able to function like a normal human. Not without my , I need it, Jongin, I need it to r-“

“Ew!” Jongin smacks the bad of Chanyeol’s head before the older boy could say another disturbing that can make him puke his guts out “Urgh. What the hell, Hyung, seriously?! Could you be anymore disgusting than this?!” Jongin groans in disgust.

The older boy laughs loudly as he sees his friend squirming at the mental image of s that his brain is now currently picturing. It’s not Chanyeol’s fault that Jongin cannot use metaphors correctly, or is it him who cannot understand metaphors? Chanyeol shakes his head, chuckling as he puts his long arm on back of the still-squirming-in-disgust Kim Jongin.

“Not without my , Jongin, not without my ”

“Oh god, why am I still friends with you” Jongin gags before hitting Chanyeol’s head one more time.

“You’re just as much of a dork as I am, kid.”

“Well” The younger laughs when realizes that maybe, the phrase saying who you are is who you’re friends with is pretty much true and sums up everything about his friendship with Chanyeol. “I cannot oppose to that, can I?”

“Of course you can’t, Babo” Chanyeol grins cheekily and ruffles Jongin’s hair.

And no matter how awful, weird and bizarre one’s life is, dorks always stick together. 


a/n: i hope everyone is happy with the length, i've just finished writing the fourth chapter, so i decided to post this now. this will move pretty slowly (as I hope) because i'm trying to explore the backgrounds of the plot and characters (especially chanyeol) so please bear with me :D

i don't have a beta, and i'm not korean so, again, i apologize if there's any mistakes found, please dont hesistate to tell me :D

thank you for reading, subscribring and commenting, you guys made my days :D

okay i shall stop talking now

BYE