The Date

The New Guy || Kailu Shortstory

That Saturday a nervous Luhan appeared in front of Jongin’s house. He took a deep breath while he placed his bike against the wall of the house. He walked to the front door and pressed the bell. A ringing sound. For the hundreth time that day, he looked down at his clothes. Just a simple shirt with a pair of jeans and sneakers. Would it be to casual? He couldn’t think about it anymore, because the door opened. He was so glad it was Jongin himself. Luhan had been scared that one of his parents would open the door and it would become awkward.

Jongin had the brightest smile on his face, which made the corners of his own mouth move up. ‘Hey, how are you?’, asked Jongin. Without hesitation, he pulled Luhan into a hug.

Luhan hugged him back. ‘Hey, I’m good and you?’.

Jongin pulled himself back to look at him. ‘I’m great, actually’, he answered, which made Luhan laugh.

‘Okay, come on, then’, Luhan said. He stepped outside.

Jongin followed him, closed the door and also locked it.

‘Are your parents not home?’, asked Luhan while they walked to his bike.

Jongin went into the garage to get his own bike. ‘No, my dad is at work and my mom is visiting my grandma’.

‘I thought your family lived in Seoul?’. Luhan’s curiosity grew bigger.

Jongin rode his bike out of the garage, after which he closet the door and locked it. ‘Yes, you would think so, wouldn’t you?’. They started biking.

‘Okay, wait, I have no idea where you are taking me, so just tell me in which direction to go’.

‘Yes, I will, first to the left’. They turned left.

‘My dad grew up here, actually, but when he was twenty, he moved to Seoul, there he met my mother, but he really wanted to go back and he could get a new job here so... Here I am’, explained Jongin. He laughed a little while saying the last bit.

‘Do you like it here so far, then?’, Luhan asked.

Jongin nodded. ‘Yes, I think the people are friendly and the school is alright’.

‘To the right here’. They turned right.

‘Only thing is... I wish I could find a dance school’, Jongin said.

‘Oh, you should ask that to Yixing’, Luhan recommended.

‘Yixing?’.

‘Yes, he’s been dancing ever since he could walk, I don’t know to which school he goes, but you should ask him’.

Jongin smiled. ‘Thanx, I’ll ask him Monday in school’.

‘Yes, you should do that’. It was silent for a moment, untill Luhan started speaking again. ‘Your bike is made, isn’t it?’.

‘Yes, my dad fixed it the other day’.

‘Yeah, I saw you cycling yesterday’.

Jongin shot a glance at Luhan. ‘Who’s the stalker here?’. He started laughing.

‘No, no, I was just sitting in class and then you passed by’, Luhan tried to explain.

‘And I’m sure you weren’t looking for me’, said Jongin in a sarcastic tone. He had to laugh even harder when Luhan’s cheeks really colored red.


~


‘Wow... How did you find this place?’, Jongin asked. He followed Luhan through a wood.

‘Uhm... Well... Jongdae used to take me here’.

‘Oh...’. Jongin didn’t know in what way to react to that. They walked a little further, untill Jongin could see a lake and a piece of grass. ‘It’s so beautiful here’, he mentioned.

Luhan looked over his shoulder with a smile. ‘I know, right?’. He stopped walking and opened his backpack.

‘What are we going to do?’, aked Jongin curiously.

Luhan laughed a little. ‘Nothing extraordinary, just a picknick’.

This made Jongin look up. ‘You brought food?’.

Luhan had to laugh harder.

‘Okay, I’ll stay’.

Luhan pulled a blanket out of his backpack and looked at Jongin for a moment. ‘I thought you were glad I asked you on a date’.

Jongin smiled at him. ‘I am, don’t worry’. He grabbed the blanket out of Luhan’s hands and laid it on the ground, after which he sat down on.

Luhan smiled at him and joined him. He pulled a container filled with cookies and two cans with drinks out of his bag.

Jongin picked up the container. ‘Did you make these yourself?’, he asked.

Luhan nodded. ‘Yes’.

Jongin smiled. ‘How cute...’, he muttered.

Luhan could basically feel his face getting red. He also pulled another container filled with cupcakes out of his bag and set it on the blanket. ‘I like baking’, he told Jongin.

‘Well, I like eating, so you can bake whatever you want’. Jongin had to laugh at the end of his sentence and pushed Luhan, who also laughed, playful agains his upper arm. ‘It’s really peacefull in here’, Jongin said all of a sudden. He laid down on the blanket and looked to the skye.

‘I know, it’s amazing’. Luhan laid down next to him. ‘I’m sorry I brought Jongdae up earlier’, he started. ‘It just made it awkward and I shouldn’t have-‘.

‘Wow, wow, you don’t have to apologize’, interrupted Jonding him.

Luhan sat up again. ‘Yes, I do, I just feel-‘.

‘Luhan, it doesn’t matter, really, you guys are over, right?’. Jongin sat up as well.

Luhan nodded. ‘Yes’, he answered. For his part, at least.

Jongin smiled at him. ‘Then there is nothing to worry about, is there?’.

Luhan also smiled and looked away. ‘No, there’s not’.

It was silent for a moment, until Jongin had to laugh quietly.

Luhan turned his haid to look at him. ‘What?’.

Jongin shook his haid. ‘No...’.

‘Yes, tell me!’.

‘No, I wanted to ask something, but... No’.

‘Yes, ask me!’. Luhan pushed Jongin at his arm, which only made him laugh more. ‘Come on, I wanna now, you’re making me curious’.

Jongin looked him in the eye. ‘Are you ready to start something with someone new, then?’.

Wauw, this was unexpected. Luhan didn’t had to think twice, though. ‘Ofcourse’.

‘Yeah?’. Jongin raised an eyebrow.

Luhan nodded. ‘Yes’.

Jongin’s smile grew bigger.