Routine

Pink thread of fate

Breakage 

Chapter V - Routine

 

"Shiu Min-ah" Chan Yeol said, mouth full with food. "How are you Dr-!!!" Chan Yeol groaned in pain as he clutched his shin under the table. Baek Hyun shot him a look from across the table. 

"Stop talking with food in your mouth, idiot." Baek Hyun warned Chan Yeol (yet again). This happens every lunch break. It was almost like a routine.

"Drama class. How is drama class with Kyung Soo?" Yi Xing finished Chan Yeol's sentence for him as he sipped from his carton of milk.

Xiu Min chewed and swallowed gracefully before replying, afraid of Baek Hyun's powerful kicks. "Oh, she is fine. Slightly awkward. And she says really scary things sometimes."

"Ahhh... So Kai is into girls like that." Jong Dae added, picking at his food.

Ever since the first date, he never had this problem of having no appetite but yesterday, after sending Xiu Min home from a date, Jong Dae was reminded of the doll house again. He barely slept last night because the nightmares were keeping him awake. And now, he didn't even have the energy to eat his food.

"Yah! Jong Dae. Don't pick at your food!" Baek Hyun nagged from one corner of the table. If Jong Dae was sitting near Baek Hyun, his shin would have long be in China.

"Sorry. No appetite." Jong Dae smiled sheepishly into his food, barely making any eye contact with the others. They noticed, of course. But chose not to say anything about it.

After break, Jong Dae and Xiu Min had physics. They waved their goodbyes to the rest as they walked silently towards the science blocks.

"Are you alright?" Xiu Min's voice barely a whisper.

"Yeah. Why do you ask?" 

"I mean like, you can probably eat 2 cows on normal days. And you barely ate anything just now."

Jong Dae laughed it off. "I'm fine!"

"Really?" Xiu Min brows creased together, concern plastered all over her face.

"Yes. Really. Need me to prove it?"

"I'd rather not." Xiu Min sped up, leaving Jong Dae behind. He increased his pace to match hers.

"Are you free tonight?"

"We just went out yesterday."

"Awhhh Xiu~ C'mon! I wanna watch this movie. And it isn't fun watching alone."

No reply, only hurried footsteps.

Jong Dae grabbed her wrists and turn her around to face him.

"Kim Xiu Min, are you free tonight to catch a movie with me at my place?"

Xiu Min blushed at the close proximity of their bodies. She was so close to him she could smell the faint scent of colonge he put on his morning. "Maybe."

"Alright. I'll pick you up at 7pm."

--

Time crawled. And after many years, it was time for club activities. Kyung Soo and Xiu Min walked together to the art room in silence. Xiu Min felt abit awkward around Kyung Soo. It was almost as if Kyung Soo could see right through her. Once in awhile Kyung Soo would say some really murderous things which would creep Xiu Min out. But that day wasn't one of those days. That day was one of the days where Kyung Soo is clearly stuck in her own thoughts, trying to figure things out. They climbed up the stairs in silence when Kyung Soo finally spoke up, "Xiu Min, what do you think about Kai?"

"Whaa-?" Before Xiu Min could even continue, Kyung Soo laughed and cut her off. "Sorry. Weird question. Forget that i ever asked that."

Xiu Min smirked. "So, what happened between you two?" Xiu Min bumped her shoulder with Kyung Soo's. 

"Do you really want me to trip you by 'accident' when we are on the stairs? I really won't know what to do if your neck breaks by accident." This is when Xiu Min knows that she should shut up.

 

As usual, the both of them were the first to reach. Xiu Min heads over to the storeroom and removes her canvass. She set up her easel and canvass before grabbing the palatte and paint. She has sat in front of her canvass for countless days, just trying to finish this piece. It was starting to pay off. It has been looking good recently and Xiu Min was confident that she could finish it in a few more sessions. She let out a puff of air as she started work.

Slowly, the other members of the art club started strolling into the room and Kyung Soo took her usual seat beside Xiu Min. Half-way through the session, Xiu Min thought she saw a tuff of blonde hair sticking out from the side of the door. She frowned at it but stayed silent. Apparently, she wasn't the only one who noticed as Kyung Soo hurriedly stopped her work and rushed out of the room. It was definitely Kai. A smile crept onto Xiu Min's face as she saw Kyung Soo pulling Kai away from the sight of the other art club members.

 

"whoops!" One of the meaner girls in the club 'accidentally' dropped a container of cobalt blue acrylic paint on Xiu Min. Another 'spilt' watercolour paint and to finish the job, someone sprayed fixative on her. And honestly Xiu Min wouldn't mind BUT THOSE MOTHERERS STAINED HER CANVASS TOO. She has never been this angry before. Looking at her hard work for the past few weeks turn blue and murky, Xiu Min lost her . She grabbed the canvass off the easel and threw it at their feet. " YOU." She stepped onto her own canvass and shoved one of the girls with a little too much force. Xiu Min paused for a moment and regained her composure. She kicked the canvass away, still soaked in paint, and grabbed her bag.

She silently walked out of the art room and saw Kyung Soo talking to Kai at the side. Kyung Soo saw the state that Xiu Min was in and called out. But the rolls of thunder drowned her cries.

 

Xiu Min slowly made her way out of the school, ignoring the pointed looks and whispers that seem to follow her everywhere after she met Jong Dae. That boy was ing destroying her. She didn't care for popularity or whatnots. She just wanted to breeze through life. But even though he was breaking her ideal image of life apart, he also taught her how to have fun. She felt the happiest when she was with this new group of people who call themselves her friends. And she was grateful. 

She stepped out into the rain - more like thunder storm - and walked without an umbrella. Afterall, Xiu Min was already soaked and there was no point in an umbrella. Perhaps, the rain would wash out the paint in her hair and her mum wouldn't freak when she sees her daughter's 'perfect hair'. Xiu Min kept her head tilted downwards as she walked. She may have imagined it, but she thought she heard a different set of pitter patters heading towards her. She increased her pace, not wanting to see anyone then but if she tried to walk any faster, she would be sprinting already.

"Xiu Min-ah!" A familiar voice called out from behind. Xiu Min barely heard it over the grumbling thunder. She turned around abruptly, hair leaving streaks of murky blue on her face. Only when she turned around did she realise that she left a trail of blue behind her.

"What are you doing here?" She shouted over the rain as Jong Dae approached. He was holding onto a grey umbrella but it didn't seem to be doing its job as Jong Dae was thoroughly drenched.

"I saw you leaving the school without an umbrella. So i came after you."

"Umbrella ain't doing its job!" 

"I know, right?" He closed the umbrella and continued, "Shall we? I'll send you back first."

"No. I can't go home looking like this. My parents would freak." But Xiu Min was obviously lying. The only one who would freak was her mother.

"My place?"

Xiu Min nodded.

--

Xiu Min stepped into the shower after she peeled the paint soaked clothes off her. The rain had washed away most of the paint but it wasn't clean enough. She the warm water and allowed it to beat onto her back and head as she sighed and work her fingers through her blue-stained hair.

 

After Jong Dae passed Xiu Min clothes and showed her the way to the toilet, he went up to the toilet on the second floor to shower too. He was so tired, he could feel the exhaustion in his bones. He stood in front of the mirror, looking at his tired face. His cheek bones seem a little too prominent today. It looked as if only skin clung to his bones. His cheeks were hollow, sunken in. His eyes bags were bad too. 

Having no energy to stand for long, Jong Dae showered really quickly so that he could go take a short nap before Xiu Min comes out of the toilet. She looked like she'll take a long time. With his hair still wet, he landed on his queen-sized bed, face down. He was long asleep before even touching the bed.

 

After about half an hour or so, Xiu Min finally stepped out of the steamy shower. There was no trace of paint on her and there was no Jong Dae in sight. "Jong Dae-ah." She called out into the quiet house. Mrs Kim was working that day so only Jong Dae was home. She quietly walk around the house, drying her hair with the towel. No Jong Dae in the living room. No Jong Dae in the kitchen. No sounds of running water either. Xiu Min made her way up to the second floor of the house. She walked over to Jong Dae's room and knocked on the door. 

Silence.

She pushed open the door. To see a sleeping Jong Dae.

She laughed a little at the sight and allowed herself to enter. The clothes Jong Dae loaned her to wear were slightly uncomfortable. They were clothes you wore to town. Not at home. Xiu Min tapped Jong Dae slightly on the shoulder, to ask for another set of clothes, but he didn't stir. She helped herself. After changing into a hoodie and slacks, she folded the other set of clothes neatly and went to watch Jong Dae sleep. At first, she sat at the edge of the bed. Then she crossed her legs and rested her elbows forward. Slowly, she herself made it to a lying position. She poked Jong Dae cheeks, fingers hovering over his lips and finally, she fell asleep.

 

Jong Dae woke up 3 hours later to a text message on his phone. He wasn't a light sleeper but considering how the phone was under his head, it was a little hard to ignore. 

He unlocked his phone without opening his eyes and only opened an eye to read the message. Thats when he saw Xiu Min's sleeping face right beside him. He panicked a little. His breathing got heavier as he read the text. It was from Yi Xing. 

'Heard from Kyung Soo got drenched with paint today. Is she fine?"

Jong Dae quickly typed in a short reply before swtiching to the camera application. He took a shot of Xiu Min's face and smiled inwardly. He pushed her slightly damp hair out of her face and carassed her soft cheeks. Her eyelids flutter for a moment before opening.

"Good evening " Jong Dae's voice whispered against her skin.

She blushed and turn her head into the pillow as she mumbled, "Good evening." It felt weird to be so physically close to Jong Dae. After all, he was still the most popular guy in school. And a nobody like her gets to be so close to him. It felt wrong. As if Xiu Min has upsetted the natural balance of the world. It felt weirder to be beside him on a bed. 

"I don't remember passing you my sleeping clothes." He laughed. "Did you go through my closet?"

"Sorry." The pillow muffled her words.

"Don't worry about it. You look good in maroon." His fingers hovered over her slightly damp hair, without her knowing. The moment she turned her head to face Jong Dae, he dropped his hand.

"What time is it now?"

"6.30."

She sighed and curled up on her side.

"Yah! Are you planning to sleep the entire day?"

No reply.

"Xiu... Are you alright?" He finally mustered enough courage to ssk her.

"Mmm..." She nodded her head weakly. 

He scooted closer to her and lifted her arm from her face. He gently brushed her hair out of her face. "What happened in school?"

She shook her head and kept shut. And even though their positions didn't really allow it, Jong Dae pulled the ball of Xiu Min into his arms. They stayed like that for quite awhile until Jong Dae's parents came back home. When they heard the keys jiggling downstairs, the pair jumped apart. Both of their faces flushed, they stood up and arranged their attire without saying anything.

"You wan-want to s-stay for dinner?" Jong Dae's heart was pounding crazily in his chest and he was wondering if Xiu Min could hear it.

"Uh. Sure. I'll call home first." Her voice ridgid, like when she first met Jong Dae. Not because she was angry, but because she could still feel Jong Dae's warm arms around her. She gulped her nerves down and whipped her phone out. She walked to the window and dialled home.

"Hi mom. I won't be back for dinner." She kept the call short. Like how she does with all her conversations with her mother.

 She slipped her phone into the pockets of the slacks she was wearing and turned back to face Jong Dae.

"Wanna go down?" He asked, trying to seem calm. While his heart was still pounding and the moment Xiu Min had her back turned, he started freaking out. Like what he fangirls do.

She nodded and started towards him. He made his way to the door to hold open the door, only to have 2 adults dressed in power suits tumbling in.

"Mum!?" Jong Dae rose his voice a little. Upset about getting his privacy invaded. "Dad, you too?!"

Mr and Mrs Kim laughed sheepishly. Mrs Kim stuck her tongue out and walked towards her room. Xiu Min bowed politely when Mr Kim's eyes turned towards her. 

"Ah. Hello Xiu Min."

"Good evening Mr Kim."

"You look nice in our little Jong Dae's hoodie."

Both Xiu Min and Jong Dae blushed a deep red almost the same colour as the hoodie Xiu Min had on.

"Dad!!!" Mr Kim chuckled as he loosened his tie. "We bought back food. Its on the table."

Jong Dae puffed out his cheeks as he pulled Xiu Min out of the room with him. 

"Your parents are funny." Xiu Min giggled and Jong Dae swore thats the first time he heard her giggle.

He grunted. Not trusting that his voice wouldn't betray his inner fangirl. Dinner was silent except for the clinking of metal chopsticks against glassware.

After eating, Jong Dae carried their dirty dishes to the sink. He pulled up his sleeves as he the tap, allowing the water to run.

"Let me." Xiu Min bumped Jong Dae away with her shoulder and took over.

"No way. You're a guest."

"No. Shut up. You're too noisy."

Jong Dae whined. "Xiu, let me do it."

"I can't concentrate."

"On washing the dishes?"

"Shut up."

"Let me." Jong Dae bumped Xiu Min's hip with his, pushing her away.

"Really? You want me to splash dirty water on you."

"Yah! Just sit down will you?"

"No!" Xiu Min wet her hand and splashed little water droplets on Jong Dae.

"Yah!" Jong Dae was about to splash back when someone cleared their throat at the entrance of the kitchen.

"Kids. Leave the dishes to me. Jong Dae send Xiu Min home. It is getting a little late." Mr Kim, low voice rumbled through his chest.

Both Jong Dae and Xiu Min stopped fooling around immediately. Xiu Min bowed repeatedly, thanking Mr Kim for their hospitality and wishing him good night. They went up to Jong Dae's room to fetch her bag. Xiu Min wasn't sure if it was her imagination or not, but she felt as if Jong Dae has been walking closer to her. 

They walked down the familiar street, and Xiu Min noticed how their shadows seem to melt together. Jong Dae's fingers fluttered for a moment before dropping back down. He thought Xiu Min wouldn't notice but he was wrong. She stopped. He was half a step in front of her when she stopped. He turned and asked if everything is alright. She imitated what he did with his fingers and smirked at him from under her bangs. A blush crept up his neck and he stepped closer to her. Mustering courage from all corners of the world as he slowly reached for her hand. She didn't push him away so he laced their fingers together. He was looking at her intently and slowly, she tilted her head down to allow her bangs to cover her expression again. An expression which would light up the world.

With their fingers laced, they continued walking silently. Right before the stepped into the yard of Xiu Min's house, Jong Dae stopped walking but he didn't let go of her hand.

"Uhmmm..." Xiu Min started. But she never got to finish as Jong Dae pulled her into a hug, her soft curves on his hard lines. It was as if they were made for each other. Jong Dae pulled away slightly. To look at Xiu Min's face. Her face was as red as a tomato. He flashed his teeth, and inched forward, eyes closed. The moment seem to drag on forever. The world held in its breath and watched as the hearts flew. He was anticipating the soft, lush lips on his but instead, his lips touched something hard and rough. His eyes fluttered open. She has her palm on Jong Dae's lips as she leaned back slightly.

"S-Sorry. I'm not a th-third date kind of p-person." She stuttered, refusing to make eye contact with Jong Dae.

He stepped back and ruffled the back of his hair sheepishly. "Sorry."

"Its okay." She mumbled. She let her long brown hair fall forward to cover her red hot cheeks. "Thank you for today. I'll return your clothes after i wash them."

He nodded. "No rush. Thanks."

"I'll be going in now."

"Good night."

"Good night."

Xiu Min stepped away from Jong Dae and walked towards the house. Jong Dae turned back to the street and took 2 steps forward before looking back. He found Xiu Min staring at him from her porch. Even though it was dark, Jong Dae noticed Xiu Min's blush and waved her goodbye, smile spreading across his face. He shouted "See you tomorrow, Xiu!" 

She hurried into the house.


 

Author's note: Ahhhhhh~ Im sorry if there are a lot of mistakes. I mean there are always typos but. yeah. Anyways. No one beta-ed for me and im quite sleepy right now :( So the ending might be a little ty AND IM SORRY. OMF. See any mistakes or you think this fic isn't good? Let me know in the comments below! Or else, SUBSCRIBEEEEEEE. For the past few days, i've been writing before i sleep and right after i wake up and sometimes in class. I can't even do a math paper without thinking about how to continue with this fic. And have i mentioned that you'll be in for one hell of a ride? :-) U BETTER CONTINUE READING ORIGHT. /evil laughter/ HAS ANYONE SEEN CHEN RECENTLY COS THAT BOI. HE HAS BEEN LOOKING SO GOOD RECENTLY ;-; i wanna cry cos i cant go for the concert. And the song Chen recorded for D.O's drama. HNNNNNNNNNNG THAT BOY. I NEED TO FIND HIM AND MARRY HIM. OR MAKE HIM MARRY XIU MIN. HNNNNNNNNNG. Alright. The next chapter won't take so long! (i lied in my previous A/N when i said this chapter might take awhile. HAHA)

Megu