A Proposition

Pink thread of fate

Breakage

Chapter II - A Proposition

"Excuse me." She smirked and took a step forward. Flustered, Jong Dae moved backwards automatically. She bent down and reached for a blue book. 'The Nightmare.' Yes. His life was a nightmare. 

"Uhmm. About just now..."

"I know the drill. I won't tell a single soul." She replied nonchalantly, eyes on the blurb of the book.

No reply.

Xiu Min looked up from the book and questioned, "Don't trust me?" 

"N-No. Its just that... I..."

Xiu Min rolled her eyes and stuck out her pinky.

"C'mon. Pinky promise. Don't you know?" She frowned.

Jong Dae, dumbfounded, stuck out his pinky. She hooked her pinky with his roughly and chanted, "Pinky promise pledge: If you're lying, I'll make you drink a thousand needles. Pinky promised!"

"Uh-promise." Jong Dae blurted out the last word, unsure of what to do. The girl smirked yet again and unhooked their pinkies. She flipped back to the blurb of the book, ignoring Jong Dae's presence.

 

"Uh... Is the book any good?" Jong Dae asked, uncomfortable in the silence.

"Mhmmm..." She had already began to read the first chapter when he spoke up. "Do you read?"

"Kind of... Not really." He confessed sheepishly. "I pretend to read to look, y'know, smart."

She looked up from her bangs and gave Jong Dae a 'what the ' stare. "You should read. I can recommend books."

"So, what is your recommendation of the day?" 

She pursed her lips and ran her eyes down the length of Jong Dae. "Tell me, murder books or romance."

 

"So... Whats your name?" Jong Dae gave up trying to understand the book he had in his hands five seconds after he opened the book.

"Xiu Min."

"Are you chinese?"

"No. Tch. Don't open the book like this. You'll bend the spine."

"What year are you in?"

"3rd."

"Class?"

"B."

"Wait, you're in the same class as me?"

"Yes."

"What the ?"

To be specific, they have been in the same class since year 2. Just because she doesn't fangirl or cling to him, he doesn't notice her. Not that she cared. She didn't want to be in the centre of attention anyways. She didn't care for the conversation they were having too. And all she wanted right now was for Jong Dae to keep quiet but the boy doesn't seem to notice her eye twitching with annoyance everytime he spoke.

Jong Dae continued talking when she interrupted, "Do you mind?" She waved the book slightly. He should have gotten the signal by now and left but because it is Jong Dae, he didn't.

Xiu Min slammed her book shut. "I'm not sure if you're dense or trying to pick me up. But i suppose you won't want to pick someone like me up so, get this through your thick skull. I'm tryna read and i can't think over your ing blabbers."

Jong Dae was in the middle of a sentence when Xiu Min blew her top. His mouth opened in a wide "O" as he slowly backed away from the fuming girl and hurried over to the world history shelves.

 

"You totally embarassed yourself. Smooth one." 

Jong Dae jumped as he turned around to face the shelf. The books that were once there were replaced by Yi Xing's face as he stood on the other side of the shelf.

". What did you hear?"

"She asking you to off."

Jong Dae groaned. "Are you done yet?"

"Yeah. I'll go pay."

 

The trip back home was a painful one with Yi Xing hurling insults at Jong Dae. If he could, he would dig a hole and hide his hot red face in it. After what felt like 12 years, they reached Jong Dae's street. 

"Hyung, don't you dare tell anyone." Jong Dae warned the older even though he knew that Yi Xing wouldn't run his mouth.

"Maybe." He threw the word over his shoulder as he made his way further down the street.

 

The next day, a zombie trudge into the gates of the school. 

"Woah. Are you alright?" Some boy from his class called out when they saw the state that he was in. Back slumped, feet shuffling, tie loose. This was not that Jong Dae they knew. This Jong Dae has eyebags so prominent, you could see it from a mile away. As he shuffled his way into the class, he stopped by the neatly dressed girl who was currently wiping the board. 

"Good morning."

" Morning. Rare to see you in class so early." She didn't even glance at Jong Dae as she spoke.

 "Couldn't sleep."

"Yah! Jong Dae-ah! Is that your girlfriend?"

Jong Dae snarled. It was early in the morning, he was tired and he didn't want to deal with Luhan's .

"So what if she is?"

"Wait. W-WHAT?" Xiu Min tried to protest but Jong Dae's voice rose above hers. "She is MY girlfriend. And I LOVE HER." Before Xiu Min could react, Jong Dae dragged her out of the classroom by her wrist. Shouts and hoots trailing after them.

 

--

 

"What the ?" Xiu Min tugged her wrist out of Jong Dae's grip with more force than Jong Dae expected.

Jong Dae groaned and sat on the stairs at the back of the school. He put his hands behind his head and pushed it down to his knees.

"What the did i just do?"

"Yeah, what the did you just do?"

"Not helping!" 

"You're the one who isn't helping."

Jong Dae groaned again as he gripped at his hair. Wanting to tear it all out.

"Be a friend and help me out?" Jong Dae looked up finally and pleaded.

"No. We aren't even friends."

"Come on." He whined. "What do you want or need? I can help you with it."

"I want nothing to do with you."

"But you can't get out. Its like our fates are already intertwined." Jong Dae smirked, plan in mind. "How about you pretend to date me for the next month. Then after our 'break up', i promise to have nothing to do with you. Ever."

"More like never." Xiu Min rolled her eyes so hard, she thought they were going to stay at the back of her head.

"Keep the offer in mind. You'd want it soon!" Jong Dae called after her as she slammed opened the door to the corridor.

 

"Ooooooo. #1 couple coming back into class together. How sweet." Luhan's spiteful voice rose above the noise in class and everyone went silent. The girls threw dirty looks at Xiu Min and the boys snickered after her. Jong Dae sighed as he silently shut the door behind him and head for his seat beside Yi Xing, on the opposite end of Xiu Min's seat.

"Wow. What the happened?"

"Later."

"#1 couple in a day?"

"Shut up." Jong Dae groaned as he rest his head on the table.

 

--

 

By the time lunch came, Xiu Min was covered in spaghetti, her bag was missing and her usual calm was broken. She stormed towards Jong Dae who was at the opposite end of the cafeteria and shouted at him.

" YOU. CAN YOU ING DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS?!" She shrieked as the tables in hearing distance quietened down to listen to the latest gossip.

"Xiu min, Lets take this somewhere else." Jong Dae pulled her away from the table of the popular kids where their hands were under the table, busying sending texts that will spread like wildfire. "C'mon."

 

On the way out of the cafeteria, one of the girls dared to throw a half-empty milk carton in their direction. But she cowered away in fear when Jong Dae shot her a menancing glare. 

Jong Dae walked as fast as he could, tugging Xiu Min along. The moment the milk carton hit her, her body started shaking. With tears or anger, Jong Dae didn't know.

 

Jong Dae dragged her to his locker and quickly unlocked it without fumbling while she stood there, sobbing. 

"What-" She was interupted as Jong Dae pushed her in the ladies' and locked the door behind him. 

"Here. Change." Jong Dae couldn't form proper sentences with a girl crying in front of him so he awkwardly held out the clean set of gym attire and a towel in front of him.

Xiu Min gratefully accepted the bundle of cloth and locked herself in a cubicle.

"Jong Dae, Do you mind passing me some paper towels?"

"Sure."

The door of the cubicle clicked open just a tiny crack as Jong Dae slipped the paper towels in. 

"Thanks."

Jong Dae leaned against the door of the cubicle. "You still remember the offer?"

"Yes. And no. I've had enough of you."

"C'mon. Listen to my plan."

No reply. Only the rustling of cloth.

"Xiu Min?"

"Go on. I'm listening."

"Number one reason why you should pretend to date Kim Jong Dae. Firstly, I'm good looking so its a bonus to you." No giggling or laughter behind the grey door. Jong Dae cleared his throat. "Secondly, when you pretend to date me, you can hang around me and no one would dare to bully you. Lastly, I can get out of the i'm stuck in with Luhan. Its a win-win situation."

"Then what about after the 'break'?"

"The reason for our break would be that you saw me making out with another girl. And, no one would hate you. Their attention would be on the cheating , me. And it would die down after awhile so i'm fine with it. Its only for a month, Xiu Min." If Xiu Min wanted him to go on his knees and beg, he would. If she wanted him to die after the month, he would. On second thought, no. He wouldn't. 

 

The door of the cubicle clicked opened.

 

"So, when do we start?"


 

Author's note: I actually wrote this yesterday but my friend fell asleep on me and SHE DIDN'T TELL ME IF IT WAS ALRIGHT. She betas for me. So, here it is. The second chapter! I should be focusing on my other fics. (Or my studies) (All this fic ideas are giving me a headache.) I hope you've enjoyed reading this straight fic. OR IS IT. MWAHAAHHAHAHAHHAHAH. Subscribe and comment! I love comments *-* (my friend said that i should put more effort into things that don't matter - like talking to others. C'monnnn you know you wanna talk to me.) (Subscribe if not i'll pour more milk and spaghetti on XiuMin! e_e)

 

AJDNAKFKWKDD I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T STUDY AT ALL YESTERDAY. SOMEONE KILL ME. OMF. 

Megu, OUT.