Impress Me

Pink thread of fate

Breakage 

Chapter IV - Impress me

 

Jong Dae knocked on the honey brown door. He shifted uncomfortably and juggled the bouquet in his hands. He heard shuffling approaching the door and immediately straightened his back. A rather normal looking middle aged lady opened the door.

"Hello. You must be Jong Dae." Her lips curved into a smile. Jong Dae bowed politely.

"Hello Mrs Kim."

"Come on in. Xiu Min isn't ready yet." She stepped aside to allow Jong Dae into the house.

When Jong Dae stepped into the house, he felt that something was off. Maybe it was because of the stale air and musty smell of the house or maybe it was the tinkling music that sounded like it is from a music box. He wrinkled his nose and looked around as he followed Mrs Kim into the living room. The walls were lined with photo frames. But the photos didn't seem to breathe life into the house. They looked dead. They felt dead. Young Xiu Min's expression in every photo was the same. Scared. Terrified. Contrasting the colourful dresses she wore. Mrs Kim led Jong Dae into the living room. It looked like the rest of the house, dead and covered with dust. Except for one part of the room. It stood out because it was colourful, the place was literally spotless, and it seemed to bring a little life into the house. 

The doll house was alive with music and lights. The fountain in the middle of the doll house seemed to be the music box. It was twirling slowly in tempo with the music. Light bounced off the windows of the pink doll house, shadows of the fountain dancing calmly. But there wasn't a doll in sight. 

Jong Dae cleared his throat as he took a seat, looking at everywhere else but the doll house. Mrs Kim left to get a glass of water for Jong Dae. He assumed that Mrs Kim must have been knitting before he came as there was yarn all over the couch in front on him. She returned awhile after and placed the delicate china in front of him. He thanked her and lifted the cup to his lips only to find no liquid in it. Mrs Kim sat in front of him, with a smile plastered on her face as she continued knitting while staring at Jong Dae.

 

Somewhere in the direction of the main door, a door clicked open. The sound rang out in the silent house and Jong Dae flinched. As the footsteps approached the living room, Jong Dae stood up, adjusting his attire again.

"Hey mum I'- What are you doing in here?" Even though Xiu Min's voice didn't change, Jong Dae noticed the panic in her eyes.

"Xiu Min-ah, Jong Dae reached earlier so i invited him in. What a lovely young man." Mrs Kim spoke up. The same smile plastered on her face. 

Xiu Min hurried over to Jong Dae's side and tugged at his jacket. She brought the scent of spring and lavenders with her, covering the stale, musty smell of the house.

"Alright mum. I'll be back late. Don't wait up for me." Xiu Min ushered Jong Dae out of the living room and tugged him roughly out of the house.

The moment Xiu Min shut the main door, she turned around sharply and faced Jong Dae. "Don't ever. I mean it when i say ever. Ever enter my house alright?"

Even though the request was weird Jong Dae didn't mind. Heck. She doesn't even have to tell him. He was creeped out by the house. "Woah. Alright."

The tension left Xiu Min's body as she deflated visibly. She raked a hand through her chestnut brown hair and asked, "So, whats the plan for today?"

"Don't worry about it. I'll show you what a real date it." He handed her the bouquet of roses, expecting a smile and thanks. But he got the total opposite. She accepted the bouquet and frowned at it. She looked up from her bangs and asked "What am i supposed to do with these?"

"Uhmm... I don't know. Do girly stuff with it? I thought girls liked flowers."

"Well, I'm n-. I mean, i guess i do. Thank you." She forced a smile onto her face as she stepped off the porch of her house. "Lead the way?" She turned back to see Jong Dae still at the same position as before. "Jong Dae?"

"Oh. Sorry. You look beautiful in that dress." He blushed. The dress she wore, was just a plain maroon skater dress but the way it hugged her curves and brought out her legs would leave anyone dreaming about the silky skin hidden under the dress.

"Thanks." Both of them shuffled at their positions awkwardly for awhile. "Shall we?" Xiu Min finally said after awhile.

"Oh! Of course." Jong Dae rushed to her side and stood awkwardly for a heartbeat before flashing his teeth and linking his arm with her. "C'mon!"

--

Dinner came and dinner went. The bill arrived and Jong Dae stopped Xiu Min from retrieving her wallet. "I got this." He smirked.

He reached for his wallet in his pocket. Not in the left pocket. Not in the right either. He stood up abruptly. ". My wallet isn't here."

"Did you lose it? Or did you even bring it out?"

"I can't remember..." Jong Dae sat back down, a frown creasing his forehead.

"It seems like i'll have to get it this time." Xiu Min said with a smirk.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhh... I'm so sorry!" Jong Dae covered his red face with his hands. Why am i such an embarassment?! 

When they left the restaurant, Jong Dae was still feeling embarassed and kept silent for awhile. Mentally beating himself up. 

"You wanna head down to the park?" Jong Dae finally asked, breaking the silence.

"Sure." Uncomfortable with the silence, Jong Dae shrugged out of his jacket and passed it to her.

"What the ?"

"Isn't it cold?"

"...No?"

"Yah! Just take it and let me have my moments." Xiu Min stifled a laugh as she accepted his jacket and put it on. Breathing in his colonge. She kept her eyes on the sidewalk, looking at the ground never at the shops display. Well, except for one. The bookstore. Her eyes flicked to the display of the bookstore before casting her eyes downwards again.

"Xiu, wanna go in?"

"I thought you wanted to go to the park."

"You want to go in right?"

"No its fine."

"Ugh." Jong Dae ignored her protests and opened the door of the bookstore for her. Her protests died on her tongue as she smiled genuinely for the first time that night. 

"Thank you." She stepped into the warm atmosphere of the bookstore. She visits this bookstore almost everyday, it was almost like her second home. Her eyes sparkled with excitement when Jong Dae closed the door behind him. She tugged at his wrist and guided him to the fiction section of the store.

"Oh my . New book." When the fiction section came into sight, Xiu Min immediately let go of Jong Dae's wrist. Not regarding the fact that she is wearing a dress, she sat on the floor in front of the shelf cross-legged. ". I ing love this series. Its been ten thousand years since the last book came out. And this series too. So many books in one day. I. Need. To. Buy. Them. The in death series by J.D Robb is so good. Like what the . Never stop writing J.D. Robb. The way she writes the murder scenes. Its like you are there yourself." She didn't seem to notice how Jong Dae just sat there leaning forward on his elbows with his face in his hands just staring at her. How creepy. But Kim Jong Dae can turn anything creepy into cute. He reached out a finger to poke her cheek but she managed to dodge it.

"What are you doing?" She asked squinting at his finger.

"This is the most i ever heard you speak."

She blushed.

She threw a book onto Jong Dae's lap, "Learn some."

'1000 creative ways to die.'

--

"Thanks for tonight." They stood on the narrow porch of Xiu Min's house, awkwardly. Neither knowing what to say.

"Err. Thanks for the dinner. I'll pay next time..."

"Mmm..."

Jong Dae noticed how Xiu Min's eyes were flickering from his eyes to his lips and back. A blush crept up his neck. What was it? A goodbye kiss? How would it feel to has those lush, soft-looking, pink lips on his? She took a step forward, leaning in and Jong Dae shut his eyes tight, waiting for the soft warmth on his cold, chapped lips.

"Not this time, idiot." She whispered beside his ears, lips almost brushing against his earlobe. Her tinkling laughter and warmth disappeared with her when she shut the door behind her.

 

Jong Dae couldn't sleep. Partly because he was still excited after getting teased by Xiu Min. Partly because the image of Xiu Min's house kept replaying in his head. The pink doll house. The music ringing in his ears. The imaginary child's laughter tinkling in a distance. And Xiu Min's mother's slightly crazed eyes.


 

Author's notes Rants: Ayyyyyyyyyy. I'm so done w myself. Im posting one chapter everyday. Someone call the doctor. eyyyyy HAHAA. But i really enjoyed writing this fic. BECAUSE XHWHRHEHEHEHEH. Expect the unexpected. Im gonna p- Not telling. But yeah, Jong Dae's life isn't the only one which will be ing destroyed at the end of this fic. HAHA. Don't worry. No one dies. KEEP READING AND YOU'LL FIND OUT WHY. :D Like this fic so far? One-up it and subscribe! And let me know if this fic in the comments! Jong Dae is really cringey in this chapter. But THIS BOIII. /weird fangirl spasms noises/ And btw :((((((((( I didn't manage to get the Exo TLP (SG) Tickets..And this girl i hate from school ing got it. AND SHE SAID SHE IS ONLY GOING TO SEE LUHAN. . ILL GO TO SEE THE MANAGER. I MEAN LIKE ING LUHAN IS BEAUTIFUL AF AND I WANT TO TOUCH HIS FACE BUT. LOOK AT THE RESTTNDKMSKDKKSKD UGH so anger. Anyways. I'll probably take a longer time to write the next chapter because. School. I'm sorry if this chapter creeped you out. But it won't be the last >:D. This scary house thing will come out again in a few chapters. Thats it for now~

Megu