Seeking Clues

Silence's Labyrinth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And the defense didn’t see this loophole?” Jaebum asked.

“The defense gave up right after they had the case,” Jackson replied. “There’s a witness and solid evidence. That would be so hard to disprove especially that their respondent is uhhh… kind of mute.”

“So there’s no reinvestigation of evidences or for evidences, in this matter?” Jaebum fired another question and Jackson answered by slowly shaking his head and pursing lips. The former then sighed and scratched the back of his neck as he re-examined Tuan’s files before mumbling, “If not for Suzy, he would have had surely gone to jail without getting a fair trial.”

“You’re working so hard on this Jae. I thought you were trying to make her drop Tuan’s case,” Jackson commented.

“I promised Suzy. I promised I’d help her,” Jaebum whispered. He then let out another long sigh before adding, “She’s become too involved that she herself doesn’t know how to back out.”

“But dealing with a psychopath is dangerous,” Jackson commented seriously as his brows furrowed, genuinely showing concern for the twin.

“I know,” Jaebum replied before closing the folder and throwing it back to Jackson. The two met gazes before the former added, “That’s why we have to work harder.”

“You should thank me for loving both of you or else I wouldn’t get my hands on this case,” Jackson muttered as he scanned the folder and Jaebum smirked in return.

“I’ll thank you once this is all done,” Jaebum promised. He then sat back on the swivel chair before saying, “I have to meet the witness and the police officers who got Tuan, as soon as possible, while you have to get the re-examination of evidences roll faster.”

“I’m telling you that I have jurisdiction over this case and that gives me the right to interview the witness,” Jaebum argued.

He had found out where the safe house for the witness was located, but since she was in a witness protection program, the security was heightened that even he, Jaebum, was finding difficulties in breaking in.

“I understand Sir,” the guard replied with the same stern look. “But as I’ve said, Miss Wang is undergoing a mental therapy and it would be better if you just look back at her statement rather than make her restate everything.”

“I only have a few questions,” Jaebum retorted. “And I need to hear it for myself.”

“Please. Just read her sworn statement.”

“Is she there?”

When the guard wasn’t able to reply quickly, Jaebum had guessed that the witness was actually in the house but was making excuses not to meet him. In desperation, he pushed the guard and shouted, “THIS INVOLVES MY SISTER! SHE MIGHT BE IN DANGER IF I DON’T DO ANYTHING WITH THIS CASE!”

“Please do leave Sir,” the guard bellowed pushing him backwards.

“Can you at least give her my contact number?” he asked, getting a calling card from his pocket. Handing it to the guard, he added, “She might change her mind and you can contact me in this number---“

“There’s no need,” a voice had interrupted their conversation, and turning, Jaebum found what he was looking for. The female witness signalled the guard to let him be and she, afterwards opened her door for Jaebum, “Come on in.”

Jaebum bowed both at the guard and at the witness before proceeding to the house. It was nearly empty with a few necessary appliances and equipment here and there. He was then gestured to come to the dining room and was presented with a glass of water and a pack of biscuits.

“I’m sorry. That’s all I can offer,” she whispered.

“No, it’s okay. I don’t intend to stay long,” he replied. He then extended his hand and introduced himself, “I’m Jaebum. I’m the newly assigned officer to reinvestigate the Tuan case.”

At the mention of the name, he saw her flinch but then she quickly averted her gaze to a corner and replied, “I’m Wang Fei Fei but I guess you already know that. Please sit down. I want to get this over with.”

Jaebum nodded, retracting his rejected hand and he watched as Fei took some pills before taking the seat before him.

“I needed those to calm myself,” she commented after seeing the questioning look on his face. She tried to force a small smile before saying, “You can start asking now.”

“How are you?”

Fei gave out another beam before answering, “Finding it hard to move on, but as long as know I am safe, I think I can start anew.”

“How… how long have you known the family?”

“Honestly speaking, I’ve never become involved with them. Not until lately, that is. They have just moved to the apartment a week before the incident. I see the members every now and then but that’s it. Maybe the only person I knew is… Yoo Dong Geun, the head of the family. He seemed like… a warm man.”

“I understand,” Jaebum nodded. After a long moment of hesitation, he finally asked, “Could you… could you tell me what you saw at the day of the crime?”

There was a long silence and Jaebum could only watch as Fei’s grip on the glass tightened. She was taking deep breaths to calm herself down. He wanted to help her but he didn’t know how. Fortunately for him, Fei relaxed after taking a gulp of water. Her gaze then was fixed on the table as she started re-narrating.

“I-I saw him. H-He stabbed t-the girl multiple times and I-I can’t forget the look on h-his eyes. It was evil,” she shook her head. “No, he was a demon dressed in a black shirt. The blood even spilled to his face but he didn’t mind. I-I remember too. I remember the look on the girl’s eyes. She was about to cry, begging for help… but I-I couldn’t do anything. I-I was too scared… so I ran. T-The police was t-there to hear me o-out but then there was an explosion, a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter