The two twins

Silence's Labyrinth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaebum watched as Mark had put down the pen and pushed the sheets of paper towards him. He flipped the pages and noticed that Mark had not just sketched the location but had also drawn how the place would look like. On the corner of the last page, he wrote:

            This is the only place that would come up in my mind.

            It’s an abandoned building at the outskirts of Seoul.

Jaebum was beginning to get lost in his daze but then, he heard Mark tore another page. He looked at the male and saw that there was embarrassment yet sincerity in his eyes. The whole page was almost blank except for the words that were etched in the middle of it:

            I’m sorry.

Jaebum closed his eyes tight and slowly sighed. He knew that his sister was just someone looking forward to her dream job and to her university graduation but she got more than what she signed up for.

“Honestly, I can’t say that I don’t dislike you. If it was only me, I would have blamed you for everything that’s happening to Suzy,” Jaebum bellowed. He sighed again as he chewed his lower lip, preventing his emotions to explode. “But if Suzy was here, I know that she would knock some sense in me.”

He fluttered his eyes open again as he tried to smile, “Suzy isn’t here so on her behalf, I want to tell you: you don’t have to say sorry. It’s not your fault. Suzy’s right. You don’t have to pay for the mistakes and crimes of your twin.”

Jaebum’s face turned serious as his gaze met Mark’s again and he said, “But more than saying sorry, I need you to work with me to save Suzy. You… I think… You’re the only one who could stop your twin.”

He saw Mark gulp before the male wrote in reply,

            Would you really give me back to Brian?

“Do you want me to?” Jaebum asked back. “Do you want me to go bring you back to your twin, like the transaction he’s asking for?”

            Is there another option?

“The other option…” Jaebum’s words trailed. “…is to capture your twin and jail him.”

            Would we really be able to catch him?

“We should,” Jaebum said. “And this time, we can’t afford to commit any mistake. Once I lay out a plan, I need you to follow it step by step.”

Mark mirrored the seriousness in Jaebum’s eyes as he slowly nodded.

Suzy’s head was spinning but she managed to flutter her eyes open. As a familiar sight had welcomed her, she blinked numerous times. She looked around once more but then realized that she had never been at the place. Her thoughts were cut short when she felt a breath fan her right ear and a familiar voice followed after.

“Do you like it?”

Her gaze followed Brian as he walked in front of her and also admired the view. He let out a sigh before turning to her again and with a smile he said,

“I’m giving you a live version of what Mark had drawn into the walls of his hospital room. You should like it.”

Suzy widened her eyes upon the realization and her gaze fell once more on the view of the whole Seoul at night. Brian was right. The precise details that Mark had drawn to his wall have come into life in front of her.

“Why…” her voice came out raspy as she asked, “Why are we here?”

“Didn’t I tell you?” Brian furrowed his eyebrows. “We’re going to meet your brother here.”

Suzy’s face fell as her eyes clouded with disappointment and worry. She tried moving but realized that her hands were still handcuffed and her right foot was still chained in a 100-ton weight. She chewed her lower lip before desperately saying, “Please just spare Jaebum. It’s only me that you hate. He didn’t do anything. Just leave him out of this!”

“Well, there was something he did that ticked me off,” Brian shrugged as he walked towards Suzy. “He messed up with my case.”

“That’s my fault!” Suzy cried. “I told him to do that. You can blame everything to me. Spare him. Leave my brother alone!”

“Tch tch,” Brian clicked his tongue. “It’s too late, my dear. They’re already here.”

Brian then pointed behind her and as Suzy turned, she saw the computer screen flashing different live feeds of CCTV cameras. She watched as Brian enlarged one of them and she let out a sob as she saw that Jaebum came with Mark.

Jaebum sighed as he parked the car in front of the abandoned three-storey building. The whole area was dark but the light on the third and last floor was visible. It was a clear invitation that the whole situation he prepared for was waiting for him at the top floor. He sighed before his gaze met with Mark’s.

“Is this the place?” he asked.

Mark nodded.

Jaebum also looked at nothingness for a while before saying, “Remember that when I tell you to run, you should just run with Suzy and don’t ever look back.”

He then turned off the engine of the car and mumbled, “Let’s go.”

The night’s cold wind welcomed the two as they got out of the car. Jaebum hid his hands in his pockets and tugged his leather jacket closer to himself while Mark just crossed his arms over his chest, also trying to preserve the warmth of his body. There was silence between the two as only the flickering lights guided their way into the building. Jaebum let his eyes roam around and he threw a knowing gaze at Mark as both of them spotted numerous CCTVs. Only their footsteps echoed as they kept walking and both assured that there was enough distance between them. It was difficult to see with only a few light bulbs aiding the moonlight but both tried their best to observe the whole place.

It’s exactly how Mark had described it, Jaebum thought.

They let silence lurk until they’ve reached the only properly lighted floor of the building. Both flinched upon hearing a loud clap and Jaebum widened his eyes as he saw a person who has the same exact features with Mark.

“Well done officer,” Brian welcomed both of them, clapping. “Well done. As expected of one of the best policemen, he’d follow according to the rules.”

The two halted their steps but then Brian had urged them, “Come in. Come in. Both of you would want to see, Suzy, right?”

Brian then vanished behind the wall again after gesturing them to walk over. Jaebum grabbed the back of Mark’s collar and both males took slow steps, revealing what the big wall was hiding. The two widened their eyes as they saw Suzy standing on the same chair where Brian was sitting. Her hands were handcuffed; her right foot was chained to a huge metal ball and her neck was tied with a rope hanging from the ceiling. All of them knew that once she slipped from that chair, she would be choking her way to death.

Jaebum clenched his fists as he saw the bruises and cuts on her face. Winter was slowly coming but Suzy was only wearing a white dress that extended only up to her knees and did so little to hide the marks on her legs. His heart was being torn into pieces as he saw how her sister looked so broken; he worked hard all his life to protect her like a precious gem, making sure that no one would dare lay a finger on her yet she was standing in front of him now with pain written all over her body. His gaze met with Suzy’s and Jaebum saw how her eyes were b with tears but then Brian’s low chuckle made Jaebum turn to the male again.

“Didn’t I take a good care of her?” Brian cocked his head to the side as he ran down his finger on Suzy’s bare legs.

Ticked off by his actions, Jaebum suddenly pulled out a gun he hid under his jacket but then, Brian too, took out a gun of his own. The two pointed their guns at each other but seeing this, Ma

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter