Changes

Silence's Labyrinth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Then, a loud gunshot echoed in the whole place.

Mark widened his eyes as Brian turned to him.

“You…” Brian said with a smile on his face. “You’ve turned into me now.”

Then Brian fell on the ground with blood quickly flowing from the shot in the chest he had received. Mark looked down on his hands and saw that he was the one holding the gun that fired the bullet. He stared down at Brian once more and he saw his twin staring back at him before the glisten in his eyes slowly faded into dullness. Mark looked at the weapon he was holding and quickly threw it away, as if it was infected.

He could already hear multiple footsteps coming towards their direction but his gaze travelled to Suzy who continued to sob as she tried hard to keep her brother alive. He ran towards Jaebum in an attempt to help her save the male but as he did so, Suzy screamed,

“Don’t touch him! Don’t you dare him touch him!”

Mark blinked numerous times as he refused to believe that the woman who used to give her love and comfort was now glaring at him with nothing on her eyes but anger. He attempted to reach towards her again but the girl screamed once more,

“Stay away from me!”

People then came rushing towards them but Mark’s attention was solely on the girl who had now started loathing him.

“S-Suzy,” he whispered unconsciously.

Before he knew it, he was being dragged away and everything fell silent as he watched people gather around the other two; his gaze then slowly travelled towards his brother’s lifeless body.

“How is he?”

“He... Mark Tuan can speak now,” the doctor told Jackson.

“Really?” Jackson widened his eyes in glee.

The doctor nodded with a smile and said, “I think the event and his strong desire to save the two had brought back his voice… he’s very responsive now too. I think this is a positive sign for his recovery from trauma.”

“Can I talk to him?” Jackson asked again.

“Hmmm,” the doctor nodded. “He has actually been anticipating for visitors.”

The doctor then motioned Jackson to go inside the room and as the door opened, he saw the red-head male. His hair was cut a bit shorter but he was wearing white hospital clothes once more.

“You look a bit disappointed seeing me,” Jackson said as he pulled down a chair and sat down in front of Mark.

“I should actually thank you for visiting me,” Mark replied.

“Oh,” Jackson gasped and let out a chuckle as he added, “So you really are talking already.”

He nodded delightfully as Mark had also given him a small smile in reply.

“I’m sorry that we kept you locked up in a hospital again,” Jackson whispered. “But everyone’s convinced now that you’re really Mark Tuan and not your twin.”

“Jaebum… what happened to Jaebum?” Mark quickly asked.

Jackson sighed before replying, “Jaebum’s alive.”

Mark sighed in relief as Jackson continued with a smile, “It took him over a hundred stiches but he’s alive. His recovery is very slow but he has passed the critical stage now.”

Mark then questioned, “And Suzy? How is she?”

“Suzy… she’s alive too,” Jackson tried to smile.

“Then… why is she not visiting me?” Mark asked again. “Does… does she really hate me now?”

Jackson took a deep breath before answering, “I saw her push you away but that’s because she couldn’t differentiate anymore between you and your twin.”

Jackson looked straight into his eyes as he explained, “The doctor told us that Suzy’s undergoing a severe case of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. She kept having flashbacks of not just that night but of the tortures and every evil thing that Brian has done to her. She… she can’t see you because… you’ll remind her of Brian. ”

Jackson saw how dejection became painted over Mark’s face in a split second but he continued, “The doctor also told us that it’s dangerous for Suzy to have an attack. She might hurt others or she might hurt herself.”

Mark’s gaze slowly travelled towards his lap as he nodded and whispered, “I understand.”

“I’m sorry,” Jackson whispered back.

“A-Aniyo,” Mark shook his head as he bit back a sob. “I should be the one saying sorry.”

There was a long silence that surrounded the two before Mark broke it, asking, “Will I get jailed for killing my twin?”

“We’re working on it for the judges to see it as self-defence,” Jackson answered. “We just need Suzy’s statement on what happened that night but since she’s not well, it might take longer than we thought.”

Mark looked at himself in the mirror, staring directly at the eyes of his reflection. The doctor then coughed and asked, “Tell me. What do you see?”

“It’s my reflection,” Mark answered but his gaze on himself didn’t waver.

“Is that really all?” the doctor urged.

Mark blinked numerous times as he suddenly heard a loud gunshot. He clenched his fists to prevent himself from shaking as he answered, “I see my brother. I hear his voice.”

“What does your brother say?” the doctor asked.

“He tells me that I’ve become like him,” Mark answered. “I’ve become a monster because I… I killed him.”

The mirror was withdrawn which made Mark snap his gaze back to the doctor. His new doctor sighed before saying, “Mark, you’ve already been acquitted of the crimes that your brother did, and even the judges have favoured you regarding the death of your brother…”

“But that doesn’t change the fact that I killed him,” Mark retorted. "I'm a criminal."

The doctor dismissed what he had said and continued, “Being acquitted of all the cases against you, we have no reason to keep you locked up anymore. You could actually get discharged of this hospital at your own will.”

“Do I also have an option to stay?” Mark asked.

“Mark, there is a better life outside that’s waiting for you,” the doctor replied. “You just have to stop blaming yourself.”

“How can I not blame myself?” Mark asked back, angry. “I killed the only relative I have and it’s my fault that the only person I treasure so much is now afraid of seeing me! Her brother almost got killed because of me!”

“Mark, Suzy’s sick-”

“And it’s my fault too,” Mark cut his doctor off. His voice was already shaking and he could feel warm ball of tears forming at the corner of his eyes. “She would have not experienced all those pain if I didn’t let her enter my life. I should have not let her interfered… in that way… she could have saved herself from the danger I’ve brought. Everything’s my fault again. I-I’m always bringing d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter