The Tuan Case

Silence's Labyrinth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She gulped, once, twice, and numerous more times but still felt so dry. Their footsteps continued to echo in the empty hallway. The fact that everything was white-from the floor, to the walls, the ceiling, and the clothes- did not help her be at ease. As she walked, she tried peeking at the doors she passed by, desperately seeking to find anything relatable but she immediately regretted it.

 

"Hmmp!" 

 

Her scream was muffled as she covered with both of her hands. Her heart almost jumped out in shock when suddenly, one of the patients banged his own door. Her footsteps halted as she tried to compose herself- her heart was beating faster than normal. For the nth time, she was tempted to turn her back and escape.

 

"Come on. His room is at the end of the hall," her companion told her. The two other men just stared at her with judging looks.

 

She took a deep breath as they began walking again. For a moment, she closed her eyes and tried hard to convince herself that she was fit for this, or all years she spent on studying would be futile. She needed to get used to this environment, because sooner or later, she might be working for a similar institution.

 

But first, she needed to have a passing grade for this training. This was her last requirement for graduation.

 

"We're here," the nurse whispered. She could swear that the corner of the nurse's lips curved for an almost unnoticeable smirk as she added, "Good luck."

 

“They say that the interns are given the cases which the other doctors refused,” she remembered her friend telling her.

 

As the door opened, she prepared herself for the worst case scenario. However, inside, she only found a boy who was about her age. He was idly sitting in front of the table, sparing them a glance before gazing back down. He was skinny but he didn't look undernourished. She was even surprised to see that he had porcelain white skin and stunning facial features. There was nothing odd about him at first glance, except for the color of his hair.

 

Red.

 

She bowed before sitting in front of him. As she heard the door close behind her, she tried initiating a conversation. 

 

"Hello,” she started with a nervous smile. “My name is Suzy.”

 

Despite the various thoughts that kept running through her head, Suzy hurriedly went home. She needed to prepare dinner for the two of them. But then, as she arrived in their house’s door, the aroma of food already lingered in the air. Following the smell, she found herself in the kitchen, watching as the male cooked. As if all disturbing thoughts have gone astray for a moment, she smiled and slowly sneaked her way towards the male, surprising him with a quick back hug.

 

“Yah! I’m cooking!” he complained with a light chuckle.

 

“Uhuh,” she nodded. Eyeing the hello kitty apron he wore, she flashed a teasing smile and added, “I see.”

 

Groaning, he playfully rolled his eyes at her before saying, “It’s not like we have another apron in this house.”

 

“Shall I buy a new one?” she asked before pouting as she said, “But this actually looks good on you.”

 

As she chortled, he gave out a frustrated sigh.

 

“How about you stop teasing me and prepare the table instead? This steak is nearly done.”

 

As she set a table for two, her eyes glanced at the set of picture frames. Putting all the things in place, she walked towards the pictures and admired how it clearly showed their transition of growing up. Her gaze then landed on the posted certificates and medals right above it.  She then noticed that another one was added to his collection.

 

“Police Servant of the year,” she read before turning to the male. “Really?”

 

Although Suzy had a share in those achievements, almost 75% of them were not hers and she couldn’t help but be a little jealous of her twin brother.

 

Jaebum had always been an achiever.

 

He flashed a victorious smile at Suzy as he finished preparing the food as he nodded, ‘Yes.’

 

“Congratulations!” Suzy chimed before walking back to their table. “I finally know the reason why you’re cooking steak. We’re celebrating.”

 

“Hmmmm,” he hummed and nodded again as he took the seat opposite of hers. “But that’s not just it. It’s your first day of internship today. Congratulations! You’re almost graduating!”

 

Suzy replied with a shaky smile and in an attempt to drift away from the topic, she took a piece of the steak and she couldn’t deny how great her brother is as a cook. It was no longer surprising for Suzy that Jaebum always excelled in everything he did. Separated by only a few minutes at birth, they were supposed to graduate together but

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter