That Woman's Story 그 여자의 이야기

Men Are All Like That 남자가 다 그렇지 뭐

A loud jazz music started to play in a big club; it is the famous club in all of Joseon, the Star Club. Inside the sound of clapping hands from the audience was heard throughout the club and then as the music started to fulfill the whole club. Then from the stage, the presenter came out as he said, "Good evening, ladies and gentlemen, tonight is the night where you all have been waiting for. On this special moment, we are going to see a magnificent show and you know who she is, here comes the main event of today! Jin!"

The clapping hands of the audience raised as the main character of the event showed up. 'New York, New York' song was played by the music crews and the singer known as Jin came up in a wonderful green emerald gown with a golden sparkling bandana on her head, she was the star in that event. She danced and sang all along, she brought up all the enthusiasm in the club which even made some of the audiences got up from their seats and dance along. 

Her mellifluous voice attracted a man who was sitting in the second floor of Star Club. His eyes couldn't get off from her, everything about her made him wholly attracted to her, his fingers moved with the music's rhythm and unknowingly he smiled. Not long after that the smile faded when he heard his friend said, "It was a pity that she is only a club singer and a Joseon woman."

His eyes rolled to him; again he smiled and mumbled, "Yeah, what a pity."

After she had finished performing a wonderful show, she was asked to meet some honorable judges such as the Chief of the MyeongRu Police Station and others. At the moment she was having a small talk with one of the guests, a waiter came to her and whispered in her ears, "There's a guest that wanted to meet you on the second floor, table three." While she smiled to the guest she was talking, she also nodded to the waiter. After she sipped the wine that she had held in her hand, after that she said, "I am sorry, I'm afraid I had to take my leave now, Satsuma-sang, I had others waiting for me."

The man, who was known as Satsuma, pleasurably allowed her to serve the other guest. She went up to the second floor. "Looking for me, gentlemen?" Asked Jin as she came to their table, she noticed someone she knew and apparently she was willing to play with his old jokes.

"Ah, Se Yeon, so they call you Jin now?"

"I don't know what you mean, Nagao-sang."

Hearing both of their own conversation, they laughed together. Jin then said some courtesy to him, "How are you Kenji? Is it almost five years already? You know Maria is missing you much more than I do."

"Oh, really? I should be seeing her." The man who was known as Nagao Kenji went away as fast as the wind through the stairs, leaving her and the other who sat beside Kenji. He suddenly said, "Mind if I call you Se Yeon?"

"Sure, and you are?"

"I am Moon Joo Won but I am preferably known as Fujiwara Hokke."

"You are pro-Korean Japanese..." Before she could finish, Joo Won answered her, "Yes, in Joseon's eyes, I am a betrayer, but in the Japanese's eyes, I am a hero, how do you think about that?" He took the beer on his table and drank it, he seemed to be stressed about it. Se Yeon suddenly remembered that he was the famous Fujiwara Hokke who had captured numerous of criminals, how could she forget this important guest?

Although she had known who he was, she acted like usual, calm and elegant which sometimes made her appeared to be mysterious, "Well, it isn't my right to decide, but I will give you some advices; since you are Japanese in a Joseon's man, try not to trust either of both."

Se Yeon's answer startled Joo Won. How could a club singer like her say such a thing? Yet he smiled to cover his feelings, they ended up sitting in an awkward situation.

In her dressing room, Se Yeon was bothered by that famous police officer who was generally known as Fujiwara Hokke, infact his name was Joo Won, he seemed to be a rather lonely type, not like the other officers that she had seen before. The cold look in his eyes appeared to have experienced countless of pain. She shook her head, what was she thinking was she taking a pity on a Joseon's betrayer? She continued powdering her cheeks with pink powder. Afterwards, Min Young came. In Star Club Min Young was known as Maria. "Where were you? I've been looking for you like hours and you suddenly showed up out of nowhere, then the show started."

"I am sorry, I was taking Seonmul for catching some fresh air, besides I think he felt really bored stuck in the club the whole day."

Min Young sat to a dressing table next to Se Yeon's, "But how if the bodyguards noticed you? You know, we as entertainers can't go out as we pleased."

"I set up myself to look like the ahjummas from the kitchen, I even borrowed their clothes."

"Oh, Se Yeon, you risked yourself only for Seonmul?" Min Young saw her friend only smiled to hear her reaction to her action, then she slowly started, "Se Yeon, did you call Kenji to see me? If you are, then I am very thankful."

"You don't need to thank me, Eonnie." still beautify herself while she was looking at the mirror, Min Young spontaneously hugged her tightly, Se Yeon hardly could breathe however she continued, "The point is have you told him about Seonmul*?" 

That time Min Young loosen her hug, she looked away, by looking at her face Se Yeon could see that she hadn't told him about their child. "I knew it, why? It have been five years and Seonmul still hasn't known who his father is."

Min Young sighed. "Kenji is a Japanese police, if he knows about Seonmul, what will he do, marry me? I am a Joseon's woman, even though we loved each other, his parents will never agree about our marriage, and Seonmul, will be only his illegitimate child."

By the time Min Young said those things, the little Seonmul had arrived there and heard everything about both of the adults conversation. "Eomma is a bad person! I hate Eomma!" Then he ran out from Se Yeon's dressing room. As Min Young wanted to go after her son, Se Yeon grasped her hand and said, "Let me."

* * *

There was no sign of Seonmul everywhere around the club and it was in the middle of the night, where could he had gone to? Se Yeon anxiously searched for Seonmul. Of course, she cared for Seonmul, since he was born, Se Yeon had been a second mother to Seonmul, she had always taken care of him and loved him besides he was her best friend's son, with his disappearance like that, how could she not be more afraid of losing him?

After looking for quiet a long time, her eyes were captivated with a small body and it seemed to be a little boy. He must be Seonmul. She ran to the little boy while yelling, "Seonmul a~!"

The little boy turned around. She was right he was Seonmul however beside him there was a man about six feet tall and he was wearing the police's uniform; he was squatting next to Seonmul. As she approached them closer, she could saw and heard their conversation.

"I think I need to go," said Seonmul sadly with his sad look.

The man smiled and patted Seonmul's head. "Gguma ya, you have to be good to your Eonnie, don't run anywhere or get lost anymore, do you hear me?"

Seonmul obediently nodded his head. When the man got up, he was surprised to see Se Yeon was standing in front of him and either did she. They were staring at each other for a while, time seemed to freeze at that time, and the only voice they could hear was only Seonmul's. "Eonnie, that is the hero ahjussi that helped us earlier."

*Mean present but it is a person's name in the story.

In this chapter a new character was added: Lee Min Ho as Nagao Kenji