Unexpected Meeting 예상치 못한 만남

Men Are All Like That 남자가 다 그렇지 뭐

Cigarettes wouldn't do any better for Jong Suk now. Had his name on the Japanese police's wanted list, chases him day and night, none of those made him feel safe anymore. Well, it didn't mean he would stop at doing the rebellion that he and the chief had started, sometimes he just felt tired of all these chasing and catching stuffs but if it wasn't them who helped Joseon's people, who will?

Woo Bin came to his friend who lay against the wall who seemed to have troubled minds, he dug into Jong Suk's ribs as he greeted him, "Hey, what are you doing down here? The Chief is looking for you." Jong Suk had already known his habit of digging into someone's ribs, he didn't care much though it pained, Woo Bin grabbed two cigarettes and gave one to Jong Suk, he accepted it, then lighted the cigarette that Woo Bin offered him, he sipped on it and blew out the smoke that it produced in to the thin air. Again, Woo Bin asked him while playing on the other cigarette that he was holding, "What is the matter? You are not your usual self today."

Jong Suk smirked as he blew out smoke from his cigarette, he looked at Woo Bin and said, "It have been two years since we started this rebellion, I wondered if there will be freedom for Joseon."

"Are you still thinking of Hyun Woo?" He patted on Jong Suk's shoulders as he continued, "it wasn't your fault that he got arrested by those damn Japanese police, all he did was a sacrifice that we all had agreed since we joined this rebellion, there was no need to feel pity, it is his fate. So as the others."

Fate, what a joke! Jong Suk wished he could say that, however he closed his intention to do so, again he sipped his cigarettes thus he looked away from Woo Bin. He did feel wronged because of Hyun Woo's death, Hyun Woo had always been like a little brother to him, both of them were brought up in the same orphanage. He could still remember the day when Hyun Woo got arrested, it was all because of his incapability to protect all of his mates. If he had known the Japanese polices presence earlier and came on time to inform them who were guarding around the headquarter, five lives wouldn't have gone meaninglessly.

"Lee Jong Suk, get into your senses! You are the chief's right hand, if you behaved like this, what will happen to us? What will happen to the band?" What Woo Bin said was true, he should stop thinking wronged towards those who had gone to the other side, he had to make a better plan to prevent harm from those he cared for. After thinking for awhile, Jong Suk out of the blue threw his cigarette to the ground and step on it, he then said, "Okay, let's go and see the chief, but we needed a better plan to avoid those polices."

A wide smile was shown on Woo Bin's face, he twined his hand around Jong Suk's shoulders as they walked, on their way to the headquarter, he joyfully said, "Now, this is the Lee Jong Suk I know..." Both of their shadows disappeared through the night under the moonlight, although Jong Suk tried to act as if nothing happened, he still had agony towards the wrongful death of his mates. 

* * *

The Chief needed them to steal more weapons from the Japanese's police station for their rebellion armies. All of Jong Suk’s mates had gathered at a tavern included Woo Bin and they prepared to go on an action, of course, they had dressed up into a small band of burglars for not being easily recognized either by the citizen and the Japanese police, all what's left to do was waited for the day to go dark. While everyone was filling their stomachs in the tavern with large bowls of jjajangmyeon they had ordered, Jong Suk only sat on one of the chairs out from the band.

"Ya, Jong Suk a! Why don't you come and join us?" asked one of them.

Jong Suk shook his head. "You guys just enjoy your meal, I'll be keeping an eye on those dogs." Literally, Jong Suk's words by saying 'dogs' mean Japanese police, he didn't know when he started saying 'dogs' however it had become his habit by saying that each time they went on a mission. 

Just by the time he wanted to get some nap, he heard a woman's cried for help on the other side of the road. Jong Suk swiftly looked to the woman's, she was wearing a worn-out hanbok, her hair was tied into a ponytail and her face was a bit grubby maybe because of dirt, she was holding a little who was as grubby as she was, a Japanese police was bothering her, he was touching her and maybe trying to take her as his affair then to the gisaeng's house. 

Jong Suk quickly ran to the other side before that police went any further, avoiding all the carriages that passed through the street. And finally he reached them, he bent his body with both his hands touching on his knees, he saw that police was becoming more impudent to the woman. Jong Suk thought hard to find a way to distract him, what a coincidence, his eyes rolled on rotten apples at the pavement. A sudden brilliant idea went through his mind, he took them and one by one he threw them right to that Japanese police's head.

Because of it, the police turned around, he realized that he was thrown with some rotten apples which were lying on the ground. The moment he saw Jong Suk, who was juggling with the two last apples that left on his hands, a fierce glare was shown at him, then he angrily yelled, "How dare you threw these things on me! Can't you see the uniform I am wearing?"

He stopped juggling. He stared at him, showed him his smile, "Oh, it is Mr. Policeman, I am very sorry, I thought I saw a dog...," Jong Suk stopped, he inadvertent saying that, but when he saw the little boy was looking at him oddly, he mischievously winked his eyes towards him, afterwards he hit the Japanese police's head with one of the rotten apples by saying something that he knew that the Japanese police would lose his mind, "Omona, did I say dog? Again I am terribly sorry."

"Why you stingy burglar get away before I shot you with my gun! I still give you a chance since I am a Japanese."

"Then since you are such a kindhearted policeman, try to shoot me, you Japanese's dog!" After he had said those words, he threw the apples on him as he ran to the woman. He ran so quickly as the wind even the police didn't realize that Jong Suk was already behind him. He hit his head until he was unconscious and fell to the ground. He spontaneously lifted the little boy who seemed to be around five years old and grabbed the woman left-hand as they started to run away far from that police who had fallen to the ground.

The feeling that he had at that moment, was the exact feeling he had when he was with Hyun Woo—his best pal that he had befriended with since they were little kids. The nostalgic memories suddenly appeared on his sight as if he was seeing the old self of him and Hyun Woo were together, running away from some men were chasing them because they stole some hoppangs—a pre-cooked ball of rice filled with red bean paste or other favorites. The trill of excitement inside of Jong Suk made him laugh alongside with Hyun Woo, who was beside him, as they managed to escape from those men. Both of them laughed in relief, afterwards they enjoyed eating those hoppangs that they had stolen earlier.

Back to the reality, Jong Suk were running away from the Japanese police, which was far more dangerous than some men who were selling hoppangs. Jong Suk always turned around to see whether that Japanese police could catch them or not. After thinking that they were safe enough from danger, Jong Suk stopped running, after that the woman directly shook her hand off him, "Please put him down."

At first Jong Suk didn't really pay much attention on her, on how she looks exactly. She was probably around her twenties, the more he looked into her dark browned eyes, the more he found out that her eyes were very attractive, on the other hand, she had chubby checks and lovely lips, her voice sounded more like singing rather than talking. Jong Suk wanted to know desperately how would she looked like if she was smiling.

She cleared . "Excuse me, did you hear me? I asked you to put him down."

Though she appeared to be younger than Jong Suk, she used in formal language towards him. Oddly, Jong Suk didn't even mad, he just put him down like she asked for, it was unusual for him to act like that in front of a woman, usually he would say, "Yeah, yeah, whatever," or something like, "Why do you have to nag all the time?" He felt something different with that woman, something familiar. Then, after she held the boy's hand and was ready to vanished from his sight, she turned to him and said, "Thank you... Uhm,.. for protecting my brother." She and the boy, who was known as her brother went away, disappeared from his sight right after she said her gratitude.

Afterwards, when Jong Suk wanted to go back to the tavern, he put his hand on his chest. He could feel his heartbeats were beating so fast, he even forgot to breathe. That was the first time in his life that he had ever felt that way, no women had ever made his heart flutters like that, except one woman and the woman he just met, but she could not be that woman, it couldn't be. In his mind, he thought, What on earth was happening to me?