The Encounter

Tricking Death

"I will avenge you."

 

With one simple thought at the back of your head you kept moving silently and swiftly to reach the abandoned facility.

"I have to hurry before the rain starts" A different thought entered your mind this time.

 

You tried your utmost best to be as quiet as possible on your way, since they were everywhere. Their eyes didn't serve them at all since the virus wasn't keeping them alive. Instead, they relied on their ears, the only sense they had left.

 

You occasionally glanced around yourself to see how the weather was, and honestly it was getting worse and worse.

 

"It might not be just a rainfall but a storm as well" You thought to yourself and cursed your bad luck as if it was your fault for the condition of the weather.

 

As you were sneaking your way closer to the bulding you couldn't help but feel like you were being followed... Not by them but by something, or someone else. You weren't sure but you quickly shook that thought away for now, since your main priority was to reach the old facility.

 

And after what seemed like an eternity, you reached the building. It seemed empty, as you thought it should be. The building was located at the top of a hill which was quite challenging to climb for you, which meant it was almost impossible to be reached by them. You entered the building only to be greeted with quite a welcoming ambient. It wasn't old at all, it didn't even look abandoned. It looked as if someone was living here. You hesistantly walked further into the building making sure that nobody knows you're here, or so you hoped.

 

The building had a carved in path which lead to the stairs of another floor. You followed the stairs leading up to the second floor. It was abandoned, completely. It seemed like nobody was "in charge" of second floor, so you settled there.

 

Since you had no spare clothes or any food you immediately got comfy in one of the nearby corners of the floor. It already got dark outside so you decided to sleep early.


 

Rain started, it stormed quite hard. And that's when it hit you.

 

The fear.

The sadness.

The confusion.

The helplessness.

The fact that you were alone.

 

It all happened so fast. Too fast. One moment you were eating dinner with your family, and the next your parents were being devoured right infront of you. One moment you were running to the backyard and the other you were jamming a key into that creature's skull.

Your skin shivered and your eyes fluttered open so the salty liquid can freely slip from them. You were crying, your sobs filled the empty space of the building which you weren't yet ready to call your home.

 

You cried for hours. Until your tears dried out and you had nothing left to cry.

It was already very dark outside now, God knows what hour it was, you didn't have a watch, and time wasn't important to you anymore. The storm was so strong you felt like the building was going to break apart. You swore you saw a lightning hit the ground right next to the facility a few times. But still you kept looking out.

You tried to sleep but it didn't work. You could only watch the outside since your mind wouldn't allow you to go to slumber.

 

Almost two hours passed and you were still looking outside, your body was on it's verge of exhaustion, it was aching so badly you wanted to relax in a hot bathtub like you used to. A few more moments sitting like this and you would be unconscious. You were about to close your eyes, when you heard something.

A slow noise echoing through the empty building, and it seemed like footsteps.

 

"Somebody is here?" Your head shot up immediately, trying to figure out where to hide.

In fortune of your bad luck, the whole place was empty and there was nowhere to hide. You would jump out of the window, if only it was possible.

 

The footsteps were getting closer and closer.

 

You remained silent and curled up in a ball in the corner of the room hoping that dark would protect you from being seen by whatever was coming. One of your hands was cupped across your mouth to prevent any unnecessary noises from escaping.

 

You were sure you weren't blinking for a moment, the moment that figure entered the second floor.

 

You stared at the figure. It was tall and muscular, a man for sure. His height was somewhat average for a build up person.

From the walking you could see he wasn't one of Them. He was a human.

You released a sight of relief, and he heard it. You mentally scoffed yourself.

"I know you’re there." His voice echoed through the room while his head was turning in an attempt to see something.

While he was looking for you, your mind was debating whether you should assure him of your presence or not.

 

The athmosphere was heating up by the moment.

 

"I'm a human so please don't kill me" You added.

 

"A human, huh? I thought I smelled a human" He followed your voice instantly after hearing it.

 

‘’Smelled? What was he talking about? He smelled me?’’ You thought in your head.

 

Your heart was beating louder and louder.

 

"I-I was just looking for a shelter" This time you spoke up.

 

"A shelter here? In my house!?" He emphasized the ‘’my’’.

 

"I'm sorry I will leave!" You panicked.

 

As if he ignored your apology, he said: ‘’Hmpf, I smell your fear as well. What is your name?"

 

"I'm _____" You said quietly

 

"Well then  _____. Sorry to inform you that you aren't going anywhere. You are staying with me from now on. Understood?" His voice almost sounded like purring, and his statement was bold and unpredicted.

 

You kept your mouth shut to process it all, you had to leave, fast. Before you could think further, his voice echoed through the room again.

 

"My name is...."

 

And that was all you could hear before your body gave up on you and you slumped onto the floor.