Chapter 5

What Is He Up To? (Discontinued)

Days went by, and you, Jinju, and Jongin had become quite close. Even Tao started hanging out with you, and the four of you spent a lot of time together.

On one particurlarly normal afternoon, Tao met you after class, wanting to introduce you to his friends. As Tao let you to a small courtyard near the cafe where you were meeting, he thought to himself, "This is your test, Kai; let's see if you really have shaken yourself loose from BTS."

In the courtyard, ten guys were waiting. The three of you stopped, feeling awkward, but Tao surged forward, calling out to them.

"Hey, guys! Look who I've brought you!" The boys looked up from their varying spots, smiles gracing each face, some wider than others. You and Jinju started forward, encouraged, but then faltered as their smiles faded. A tall, cold looking guy stood, pushing his way to Tao.

"Why is he here?" He said furiously. 

Tao hurriedly pulled him to the side as you and Jinju looked on curiously. The boys that remained were now looking at Jongin tensely, but Jongin himself was staring at the ground.

Tao POV

"Relax, Kris," I said to him, then lowered my voice to make sure the girls didn't overhear. "This is the test to see that he's changed, and look at him. I've been keeping an eye on him for days now; he's no threat to us. Actually, I think he's trying to change, at least for them." 

Kris looked back, gauging Kai's reaction throughout this exchange. He sighed. "He seems... repentant, I guess. Alright; we'll act normal around him, at least for your cousin."

Jongin POV

"Why did Tao bring us here? I know we've been getting along better, but that doesn't mean I want to up to the rest of his gang." I shook my head to clear it. "Just get the job done, or they'll go after Sojin instead. Keep her safe, no matter what it takes." 

...

As Tao and the other boy were having their conversation, a cute brunette approached and greeted them. "Hi, I'm Suho. I know Jinju, despite her not knowing me." He grinned, speaking to Jinju. " Your cousin talks a lot about you." Then he turned to the other two. "Unfortunately, I don't already know the two of you."

"Sojin." I said, reaching out a hand to shake his.

"Very nice to meet you, Sojin. I did hear that someone had moved from America; I'm guessing that was you?"

"Yes." You mumbled, feeling uncomfortable that you had been talked about so much.

Finally, Suho turned to Jongin. Something flashed in his eyes, but soon it was gone, and Suho smoothly shook his hand, saying, "Jongin, right? You've been talked about a little bit as well. How do you like the new school?"

Jongin looked up and simply said, "Fine. It's nice to meet you." Before lapsing into silence.

Suho smiled apologetically and said, "It seems there's a problem. Stay here while I sort it out."

He left, and the three of you stood in uneasy silence. Finally, Jongin muttered, "I don't belong here.", and made to leave. You grabbed his arm, stopping him from making an escape. You didn't know what these boys had against each other, but you were determined to make friends.

"Tao didn't like you at first either. I don't know why, but just give them some time. I'm sure they'll warm up to you."

Jongin resisted for a moment longer, then relaxed and faced forward again, just as the eleven made their way towards you. Together, Tao, and Suho made the introductions.

"Everyone, this is Jinju, the cousin I always talk about, Sojin, and Jongin. I want all of my friends to be friends, so lets get oursleves aquainted, shall we?" Tao said.

You guys can talk after we make the introductions, but let's just get through all the names." Suho said. "We have Chen, Luhan, Chanyeol, Xiumin, Baekhyun, Sehun, D.O, Lay, Kris, and of course you know Tao and I."

The trio of outsiders began to move throughout the large group; Jinju and Sojin wanted to get to know everyone as soon as possible. Baekhyun made his way towards them and slung his arm over Sojin's shoulder.

"Hello, ladies. I must say, it's nice to have some beautiful girls around; I was getting bored of all the guys." Jinju laughed as Sojin blushed a deep red.

A deep voice came from behind. "Cut it out, Baekhyun, you're scaring them, you creep." You turned, and came face to face- or rather, face to chest- with a tall, gangly boy with a huge grin on his face. "I'm Chanyeol. Though he's right; " Chanyeol continued. "it is nice to have new faces around here."

Another boy joined them, saying, "Maybe, you'll make us more civilized." This one was pretty much the only one whose name you could remember. He was Xiumin, the boy with the chubby cheeks. Baekhyun transferred his arm to Xiumin's shoulders, laughing.

"Yeah, this grandpa is a wild thing. You girls better be careful around him."

Everyone laughed, and you felt quite happy in this large group that you'd only just met.

...

As you talked, the dark one, Kris, came up to Jongin and tapped him on the shoulder. Everyone turned, and you grabbed onto Jongin's sleeve, wondering what the most hostile one wanted. Kris noticed your grip on Jongin's jacket and scoffed.

"Relax. I just want to talk. Right, Jongin?" He made the name sound like a curse.

"Kris, take it easy." Xiumin warned in a quiet voice, and Kris grinned, complaining lightly.

"Honestly, you guys have no faith in me. I just want to talk, that's all."

Jongin gently took your hand and removed it from his jacket. His voice was gentle as he whispered, "I'll be fine." to you. Then, he turned and followed Kris out of the courtyard. You watched, and couldn't help but feel a little uneasy as they walked away. Suddenly, Baekhyun snorted, and you turned, giving him a questioning glance.

Baekhyun smirked. "Looks like someone has gotten attached to the new guy." His smile grew as you blushed, and you tried to play it off.

"He's just a friend." You said in a would-be casual voice. "Besides, Kris was a little rude before. Can you blame me for being uneasy?"

Baekhyun looked angry, and started to say something, but was interrupted by Chanyeol's deep voice.

"You can't blam Kris either. We've known Jongin before you two met him, and I can't say that we were on the best terms before. Now, Tao says he's changed, and we're willing to forgive him. Kris is just a little less willing." 

There was a moment of silence, and then Jinju spoke her mind. "Did Jongin do something to you guys? Why were you so uneasy before?"

The three boys glanced at one another, but it was Lay, who had been standing next to Xiumin quietly, who spoke. "If he wants to tell you, he will. I expect that you'll find out eventually, if he's really changed." His voice was soft but steely, and the girls knew they wouldn't find out Jongin's secret unless he told them himself.

...

When the boys reached the alley leading to the courtyard, Jongin turned to Kris, but was shoved up against the cold brick wall before he could say a word. Kris held him by his shirt, and he sneered as he whispered in Jongin's ear.

"You may have everyone else fooled, but I'm not. Don't think even for a second that I've swallowed your bull story. Now get out of here, before I change my mind about letting you be." He released Jongin, then shoved him in the direction of the street. "I'm watching you, Kai." Kris stayed just long enough to see Jongin leave, then headed back to the courtyard.

...

"Where's Jongin?" you called to Kris as he came back into the courtyard. He headed over to where they were, then stopped next to you. Without looking at you, he said gruffly, "Jongin decided to head home."

You felt uneasy, but accepted the answer, wondering all the while why he left, and why this group of boys not unlike Jongin hadn't accepted him.