nine

Not In That Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I'M ALL WET

Squash. 

No, this deserved more; .

I seriously should have reconsidered everything about my idea of meeting Kyungsoo. Because, really, I don't know why I thought that I could pull any of that off. Oh, wait, I didn't think that I could pull any of that off. I knew that I couldn't pull any of that off. 

But no, I decided to be stubborn Avery, and go for it. 

Kyungsoo told me to meet him at the park by his apartment. At first my first thought was how was I going to get there? Should I take my car and gamble getting into an accident or take the bus? 

And I know the answer seems pretty clear, but being in public school from kindergarten through to senior year in high school, I can confidently say that I hate buses. They smell weird and are occupied with the strangest people on them. Although I guess that I am being slightly biased, especially since it's not like I'm the most desired person to be around. 

In my defense, I did look moderately human that day. I had managed to tame my hair into decent curls and was wearing my white sundress which looked fairly okay. The mascara that I had put on hadn't smeared yet and my lip balm wasn't doing that weird sticky thing that it sometimes did. 

And, of course, the second that I stepped off the bus was when the started. 

For one, it began raining. 

Like, literally, the floodgates of Heaven had opened up and were pouring down on us. And even though I sprinted the three steps off of the bus and under the shelter, my hair was not salvageable. I had entered poodle territory. 

Which, you know, would have been perfectly fine if I wasn't actually trying to have an adult conversation with someone. Or if I had thin Minah hair that you could run a comb through and have it look normal within two seconds. My dress was wet as well, but the trench coat that I had on made up for it.

Anyways, I stood under the side of the building plotting my next move. Did Kyungsoo still want to meet at the park even though it was raining? That seemed odd to me, but they did things different in South Korea. Or was I supposed to call him? Or was calling too weird and I should text him instead? Or would it make more sense for me to wait for him to send me some form of communication expressing where he would like the two of us to meet? 

Yes. That sounded like a good idea. Surely Kyungsoo had picked up on how I was socially awkward and was never going to make the first move. 

Meanwhile, I would stand there and try to tame my poodle hair and drink water, which was what I always did when I was nervous. After two minutes, the rain stopped. After four minutes, Kyungsoo still hadn't texted me and all of the people that were once waiting for the rain to stop with me had moved on. After six minutes, I was sure I looked a mess and the sun came out. Thirty seconds later I decided that I should probably just go to the park and see if Kyungsoo was there. 

Yes, that was exactly what I needed to do, because that day I was Park Avery, and I was about to get done. 

Oh, squash, there was no way I was going to be able to do any of that. It was freaking Minah. If it was anyone else, then, yeah, maybe there stood a chance. But I'd never had to tell someone that their girlfriend was a raging lunatic that was over-possessive and was going to have ankle problems if she kept wearing heels that high. 

I twisted the cap off of my water bottle and placed it to my lips. There was no point of me backing out now. I was already in Gangnam. I'd taken a freaking bus to get here. And Minah really was crazy. It couldn't be that bad. Chorong had no trouble telling people the truth. 

All I had to do was go to the park and talk to Kyungsoo and then everything would go back to normal. 

"Hello Avery!" 

That was the moment that Kyungsoo conveniently decided to show up. Well, he more of popped up from out of nowhere and almost gave me a heart attack. 

And then I was back to being Awkward Avery because I was so startled by Kyungsoo's appearance that I jumped nearly a foot in the air. And of course, that's not even the worse part. I had managed to land in an unstable position, causing me to drop my glass water bottle on the ground, where it successfully shattered into a million pieces. It also made the water go flying into the air and then all over the front (and well, embarrassingly enough, up) of my dress while a few drops landed on Kyungsoo as well. 

I stared sadly at my water bottle. I mean, it wasn't anything special since I had spent about ten won on it at the bookstore, but that meant that there would be no water for me on the way back to campus. Unless I just used a regular bottle like everyone else did. Or bought a new one. Wow, if only I could solve all of my problems like how I had just solved that one. 

"I'm so sorry! That was definitely my fault!" Kyungsoo's doe eyes lit up with genuine concern as he reached out and rubbed my shoulder, probably thinking that I was going to have some sort of emotional breakdown because he still thought that I was mentally unstable. 

And the front of my dress was wet, too. The white fabric was glued to my legs, making them wet as well, but that was better than it looking like I had peed myself. 

"I'm all wet," I stated miserably, still staring at the ground. 

"You-" Kyungsoo stopped and raised an eyebrow at me. Well, I'm guessing that he raised an eyebrow at me since I was too busy avoiding eye contact like any embarrassed person would. "What?" 

Well, I was wearing a jacket and it wasn't like I was drenched. Plus it would dry eventually. I meant, it was water. I finally managed to pry my eyes off of the ground because apparently it's polite to look at people when you're speaking, but it was just to realise that I had ruined Kyungsoo's shirt as well. Okay, not ruined, but he now had a large wet spot on his blue (not black) shirt. 

So, way to go, Avery. You ruined someone else's clothes. 

"Oh, no!" I gasped. "I made you all wet too!" And then it all made sense for me. "Oh, not in that way!" I frantically shook my head in horror. I could already feel the blood surging to my face. "That sounded totally and completely wrong!" 

"You mean you're not wet?" Kyungsoo smirked, cocking his head to the side. 

Damn, I forgot that some people (everyone else in the world but me) found absolute bliss in my mistakes. "Um, well, quite  obviously there is some degree of wetness on me." Oh, , Avery, just stop talking. "On my dress. Not anything else. My dress." 

Kyungsoo was biting his lower lip in an attempt to keep a straight face. That was nice of him. Lately people had just laughed straight at me. "You made me wet, too." 

I rubbed my cheeks with my hands. "Could we just pretend that none of this ever happened?" I asked hopefully. 

At that, Kyungsoo laughed, unable to hold his laughter in any longer. "No, we can't. How can we forget how you made me wet?" and he said that last part quite loudly. Everyone just smiled at Kyungsoo because it was impossible not to smile at him. People gave me weird looks because I was bright red and had poodle hair. He laughed some more before reaching out and pulling me closer to him so that I was resting in the crook of his arm. "It's all part of your Avery charm." 

Pft, no one had ever told me that I possessed any sense of charm before. That was obviously a first for me. And now I was about to lose all of that charm when I told Kyungsoo that his girlfriend was the real crazy one out of the two of us. 

"So what did you want to talk about?" Kyungsoo asked as we began walking. I had no idea where we were going. In case you haven't noticed, I don't spend a lot of time in Gangnam. 

And just what was I doing there? Wrecking havoc on his relationship. 

Alright, Avery, now isn't the time for you to back out. That was the que for you to act all casual and bring up Minah's name like you did this all of the time. Besides, it wasn't like it could get any worse. You had been near Kyungsoo for five minutes and you had already managed to throw innuendos at him. Why couldn't I talk to him like I talked to everyone else? 

Oh, . Jongin. Him and his dumb theory. Because it really was a dumb theory. I acted like a freak to generally everyone that I met. And he and I didn't even know each other so it wasn't like he was suddenly able to offer any valuable opinion on my life. That and he's, like, twelve.

Wait a minute, Avery, don't forget that you're still supposed to be engaging in conversation with Kyungsoo. 

"I, er, I ... um," well, Avery, if you stammered any more he was going to hold onto that 'mentally unstable' tag for a little longer. "I'm actually here to talk about Minah." And then I squeezed my eyes shut because I didn't have the courage to look Kyungsoo in the eye. Although I didn't know why since it wasn't like I had ever seen him even remotely angry before. 

Kyungsoo stopped short (which nearly caused me to trip over my own foot and face plant the ground) and turned to face me. "I have to talk about Minah, too!" he exclaimed excitedly. 

I reacted with a classy, "Huh?" 

"Yeah," he nodded, starting to walk again. His arm was still around my shoulder, by the way. And I know that should have seemed like a really flirty move (actually, to me, anyone touching me seemed like a big deal) but after seeing how him and Jongin acted, I couldn't help but think that it meant anything. "It's about our relationship." 

My ears perked up. I couldn't help it. That was obviously a move on their behalf. But really, did he just imply that he had broken up with Minah? If so, thank you, sweet Jesus, because that was about to make my job a whole hell of a lot easier. Actually, it kind of eliminated my job in general. 

"What about your relationship?" I asked casually as we began walking to the park again. The sun was completely out now.

Oh, , if he dumped Minah then that meant that hell was about to let loose the second that I got back on campus. Because him dumping for after I was spotted at his apartment was definitely not good for my argument. I really should have considered being a law major, maybe that way people would believe more things that I said. 

Or maybe Minah wouldn't be that mad. As horrible as it sounds, I kind of hoped that she dumped Kyungsoo. Which, yeah, would have totally for him, but he still seemed pretty happy and Minah had this complex where she always had to be the one in charge. And that sounds dirty so I'm just going to stop that one right there. 

Okay, so that meant that I was going to have to play the role of Consoling Friend to Kyungsoo. I was good at that. I was the one that listened to Minah cry when her relationships fell apart because Chorong is one of the least comforting people that I have ever met. Plus, with the two boyfriends that I have had, they both dumped me, so I guess you could say that I've been there and done that. Plus, this job would have been so much easier since Kyungsoo didn't seem all that shaken and probably wasn't going to ask me to watch countless hours of Gossip Girl with him. 

"It's be okay," I began soothingly. 

Kyungsoo gave me another strange look. Why? I know for a fact that I hadn't said anything inappropriate. "Of course it will be okay, Avery," he scoffed. "It will be more than okay. It will be great." 

Wow. I had never heard someone sound so enthusiastic about a break up before. Minah must have flipped out on him big time. If you've ever seen a full scale Minah temper-tantrum before, you would understand. So I guess that meant that he dumped her. 

"You're right. She is crazy." 

"I'm proposing to her." 

Those two statements were said at the exact same time, which only contributed to the awkwardness that I already carried around with me. Well, first, I stopped moving again and then looked down because for some reason I thought that I had peed my pants. Er, dress. Kyungsoo stopped as well and drew his arm away so he could stare at my face because he hadn't heard what I had said. 

And I wasn't going to say anything because I was about to go in shock because someone wanted to marry Minah. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, if someone had said that they were going to marry Minah before the whole 'hey, will you go and hit on my boyfriend for me' thing, then I would have been less skeptical. But the fact that she was now a conniving was the biggest red flag in the world. 

In a way, I could see why Kyungsoo wanted to propose to her. Minah was frighteningly beautiful. She was smart. Her grades were decent and I hadn't seen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter