twenty eight

Not In That Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MOUTH TO MOUTH RATIO

"We basically did it for the gifts." 

Chorong and I were sitting at a table during the wedding reception. Well, Chorong's wedding reception, since Minah wasn't the one who had gotten married. Anyways, I was trying to figure out what had inspired my best friend to hijack someone's wedding. Because Chorong had told me­ multiple times, if I may add­ that she had no intention of ever marrying Joonmyun, much less anyone. And then we leave for, like, what, twenty minutes and suddenly she's married. 

And apparently she did it for the gifts. 

"You did it for the gifts?" 

Chorong nodded, completely unashamed by what she had just said. Not that Chorong was ever ashamed of things that she had said. She was one of those people that never said ‘no offence' because she usually meant for it to be offensive. "It makes perfect sense, really. Minah has a lot more money than I do. She also invited half of Seoul to this wedding. They all bought gifts. And I'm sure that whatever they bought will be much better than the salt shakers that my cousins always give out at our family weddings." 

Okay. That made sense. And that was also something that could be implied with my family. You wouldn't believe how many towels I had gotten for my high school graduation. I'm never going to need to buy another towel again. 

"Not to mention that this is a lovely wedding and I would feel really bad to have all of this money go to waste. Who would turn down a free wedding?" And that made even more sense. This was a pretty elaborate event. And it was Minah ­run, so of course it would be expensive. 

"So you married Joonmyun because this was entirely free?" Why was I repeating myself? We both knew why she got married. I mean, she had only just explained it to me and everything. 

She shrugged. "That and the minister said that we couldn't leave until someone got married. I was not about to watch Minah's parents renew their vows." 

I nodded. That could be understood. 

"So how are you and Kyungsoo?" Chorong changed the subject. Which was weird because I wanted to talk about her getting married because that was more interesting than Kyungsoo and I not dating. But I guess it was my questionable relationship with Kyungsoo that got us here in the first place. And that sounded extremely conceited. I'm sure that Joonmyun and Chorong would've gotten married eventually. Just not at the wedding that was supposed to be for Kyungsoo and Minah. 

No one had been paying attention to us when the however many of us had walked back inside. Instead, we had this awkward collision with Joonmyun and Chorong, who were trying to walk down the aisle and over to the building next door, which was where the reception was being held. Joonmyun just waved into the camera that Jongin was holding and Chorong gave me a wink after noticing that Kyungsoo and I were holding hands. And then the two of them just left. 

Yixing whispered something to Kyungsoo, who whispered something to Minah. You know, guys, I don't think that keeping secrets was good for us anymore. I mean, the last time that one of us kept a secret it ruined a wedding. 

But, as expected, no one told me what was going on. Which meant that I was probably going to figure out what Yixing had said twenty years from now and probably on some video that Jongin filmed. Kyungsoo and Minah went to go talk to their families while Yixing addressed everyone else. Chanyeol turned his attention back to his iPhone (Seriously? Was this day just a giant Apple ad? I was definitely getting one of those phones this summer. I mean, if Luhan had one then there was no reason that I shouldn't.) and left me to stand there like the awkward being that I am. 

Well, no Jongin came over and asked me if Naeun's boyfriend was there because that kid just wasn't going to quit. But I don't want to count him as a person because it's Jongin and he acts very much like the seventh grader that he is. 

Then Sehun asked me if we could eat cake yet. And I felt bad because I knew that Sehun had gone to that wedding for the sole purpose of eating food and instead had to sit through something that resembled a really bad soap opera. So I walked with Sehun to where the reception was because he was the only person that hadn't been on their iPhone during the wedding. 

Then we got to where the food was and Sehun ditched me for the buffet line and the other guests began to show up as well because they had gone all of that way so they might as well enjoy a free meal. 

And then I found Chorong, and when your best friend (completely unexpectedly) gets married, you have to sit down and talk to her. 

Which brings us to the full story. Well, not really. But you get the point. Chorong and I were sitting there while Joonmyun was greeting people like they were actually related to him. Which was a total Joonmyun thing to do since he was the friendly one in their relationship. I mean, Chorong ha a worn black dress to her own wedding. I guess that meant bad luck to everyone but her. 

"I don't really know what's going on between Kyungsoo and me," I admitted, watching her eat the cake. Coconuts really were the stupidest thing to be allergic to. If only I was allergic to peanuts like all the normal kids were.

"But you were holding hands. That's a good sign, isn't it?" she asked. Psh, if I had those answers I wouldn't spend so much of my life single. 

"Yeah. I mean, he also said that he liked me and everything. And then he tried to kiss me when we were sitting in his car­-“ 

"Why were you in his car?" Chorong interrupted. 

"That's where he went when he walked out. And then I went and got in too because I wanted to talk and then we had, like, this mutual agreement of feelings, you know, and he was going to kiss me. And then Minah got in and then Chanyeol got in and they, I mean, Minah and Kyungsoo had to talk about things and then Kyungsoo held my hand and we really haven't talked since then." 

If Chorong was bored, she did a really nice job of not showing it. That was polite. "You should go talk to him." 

Huh? "When?" 

"Right now, you idiot." And that was the Chorong that I knew. "It's not like he's busy getting married or anything. Go talk to him," she repeated, flinging her hands in that really rude shoo­-ing gesture that people sometimes made. Really, it wasn't polite. But, again, neither was Chorong. She had just hijacked a wedding just because it was free. 

I looked around the room. "I can't." Okay, yeah, I did sound quite smug about that. Everyone knew that I didn't do confrontations by this point. "I don't even know where he is." 

"Put your glasses on." 

"I didn't bring them with me." That was true. They were somewhere in Luhan's car. Or the car that Luhan had rented. Which meant that my purse was in that car too and I don't trust Luhan with my stuff. Speaking of Luhan, I didn't know where he was, either. Oh, squash. That was bad. Who knew what he was doing now? 

"Then stand up and walk around. Don't let him get away. We aren't letting this draw out all summer," Chorong gave me The Look that almost made me pee my dress. My white dress. Well, her white dress. So it

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter