seven

Not In That Way
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

GREAT TIME IN BED

Minah didn't approach me the next day. In fact, it took me a good two days to see her again. 

I work at the campus bookstore. And I know, 'awkward girl that works at a bookstore' sounds like the biggest cliché on the planet, but it's not. If you've ever worked at one then you know that you don't even need an IQ to do anything. I really don't do anything. Sometimes I stock shelves. Sometimes I work at check out. Sometimes I do my homework in the back because no one ever comes in here unless they're buying some sweatpants. 

That was the reason I was working during the night that the entire scene went down. I normally try and work as much as possible because it's not like I have an extremely active social life that involves me going out every night because I'm a poor college student. 

And like I mentioned, most people don't even come into the bookstore unless they're buying sweatpants or presents for family members. Every once a while someone would come in to buy a bunch of shot glasses for a party but that's about it.

It was one of those slow night. Sometimes it's good having a slow night because you don't have to do anything and sometimes it because that means that you have nothing to do until anyone shows up. 

Lucky for me, it was me and Sehun that were working that night. Sehun's this really good looking kid that's in the grade below me. He's also one of the cutest people that I've ever met. He has blonde hair and the most adorable eye smile on Earth. Plus he always has ideas for something we could do when we had slow nights at work. That night he was on the phone trying to convince the fast food place that he would trade them ten shot glasses and bags of candy for two orders of something, which was when Naeun walked in. 

I have no problem with Naeun. I like to pretend that we're friends by association because she's better friends with Minah that she is with me. Naeun's really tall and has long, wavy brown hair and brown eyes. She kind of reminds me of a fairy. We were typically friendly with each other until that night when she didn't return my wave as she sat her sweatpants down on the check-out counter. 

"Hi, Naeun," I said, thinking that maybe she just didn't see me wave. 

"Um, hi, Avery," she said awkwardly, avoiding making eye contact with me. 

Squash. Were her and I fighting about something? I tried to avoid fights with people. "Is everything okay?" I asked her. 

Naeun pushed some of her fairy hair out of her face before finally meeting her eyes with mine. "Avery, I can't believe that you're cheating with Minah's boyfriend," she gave me a stern look. 

What? "What?" 

"Noona, is jjajangmyeon okay?" Sehun shouted from across the room. 

"Yeah, sure Sehun, whatever," I gave him a thumbs up before turning back to the real problem at stake. "What the hell do you mean? I'm not doing anything with Kyungsoo. Minah's, like, my best friend! I would never do anything like that!" I exclaimed to Naeun. 

She gave me a disapproving look like she didn't believe me. "Oh yeah? Then why is there a picture of you in his bed?" Why was there a picture of me in his bed? I didn't remember any picture being taken. Naeun whipped out her cell phone and shoved it in my face. Squash. Sure enough, it was a picture of Kyungsoo and I in his bed together, obviously taken from the morning a few days ago. Not to mention that I was making a really unattractive face while Kyungsoo was laughing at something, presumably my face. Damn, whoever it was couldn't have taken a better picture? 

Jongin. That little . It must have been him. He was the only one not in the picture and Kyungsoo and I were never alone in his bed together.

"See?" Naeun said in an accusing tone, waving the phone in my face. "What were you doing in his bed?" 

"I didn't sleep with him!" I wailed. "That picture was taken out of context!" Because it was. "There are actually three of us in that bed and I did not - and will not - have any sort of ual encounter with any of them!" Partially because it was probably against the law for me to sleep with Jongin in the first place. "Naeun, you have to believe me. My date that night tried to ually assault me and Kyungsoo saved my life." Okay, slight exaggeration but it worked. "I would never do something like that with my best friend's boyfriend!" 

Naeun's eyebrows returned to a normal position and she gave me a much friendlier look. "Are you sure?" 

I had never been so sure in my life. "I swear Naeun, I'm not sleeping with Minah's boyfriend," I repeated. "And where did you even get that picture to begin with?" 

She shrugged. "I don't know. Minah texted it to me a few hours ago. Something about how she thinks that you're cheating on her boyfriend. You should really tell her that nothing's happening between the two of you. She's really angry," Naeun nodded solemnly. 

Ugh. . My night just got a hell of a lot worse. I tried to hide my anger as I rung up Naeun's purchases and shoved it in a plastic bag before handing it to her. "Thanks for the warning," I said grimly. 

"I really am sorry, Avery. I should have asked you before I just decided to blame you and all. I know that you're better than that," Naeun offered me a kind smile, taking the bag from my hands. "See you around!" 

"What was that about?" Sehun asked as soon as Naeun was gone and it was back to the two of us. 

"Minah's been telling people that I'm sleeping with her boyfriend," I mumbled, pushing myself up so that I was sitting on the counter. 

"She's the crazy one that's dating Kyungsoo right?" he asked. Somehow Sehun and Kyungsoo already knew each other, which solidified my belief that literally, everyone on campus had met Kyungsoo before, everyone aside from me. I nodded in response to his question. "Ah, don't believe that , Noona. No one else will." 

That was why I liked Sehun. There were few people nicer than him and he called me 'noona' which was rare because I was the youngest out of my limited group of friends.  Plus I had never said anything Kyungsoo-level embarrassing to him which meant that he could still believe that I was a normal person. "Thanks, Sehun." 

"No prob- oh, ," Sehun swore suddenly, waving his arms at me. "Noona, hide behind the counter, quick!" 

What? "Sehun, is this some kind of weird joke?" I asked him, wary of his pranks. Sehun was not above throwing fake spiders at me just for a good laugh. Then again, I put some of those fake spiders in his food for a laugh of my own, so I guess we're pretty even. I'm not kidding, things really get that slow at the bookstore. 

"No, it's more of how Minah is walking rapidly towards the building and I can only imagine how pissed she is!" Sehun informed, sprinting the last few feet so he was standing next to me. 

"Maybe she's just coming to talk about the misunderstanding," I tried to rationalize the situation. 

Even Sehun was smart enough to know that wasn't going to happen. "Hi, Minah!" he practically screaming his cheerful greeting after he shoved me off the counter and onto the ground. Really, he shoved me. I was going to have some nice looking bruises thanks to him. "It's great to see you! Are you here to buy some shot glasses?" Because that's generally what Minah bought when she came to visit me. (Also, just a side note, Minah is not an alcoholic. She just happens to buy a lot of shot glasses. Trust me on that one.) 

"No!" I could hear her say from my seat on the floor. Man, Sehun and I really needed to clean the floor before we closed. It was kind of nasty down there. "I'm here to see Avery." 

. "Um," Poor Sehun was actually trying to defend me. He really didn't need to do that, Minah and I were going to have to talk eventually. "Why aren't you here to see me?" 

"What?" 

"I mean it, Minah. I never see you anymore. We used to have so much fun when we attended parties that we were both invited to. And now it's like we're strangers." I had to hand it to Sehun, he was really going for it. 

"Just ... no. I need to speak to Avery. I know that she's here. Naeun just ran into me outside." 

"She's no-" 

"I'm here," I announced, peeling myself up from the carpet. I gave Sehun a shrug, silently telling him that it was okay and that I had it. Even though I didn't and was probably going to die. "Hi, Minah." Maybe we weren't even going to go there. 

"Hi, you boyfriend stealing ." 

Yeaaah, it was going there. And poor Sehun was going to be the only witness when Minah pulled out her gun and shot me. She's probably going to shoot him too. Minah's smart enough to not leave a wit

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter