Chapter 1 - At First Sight

Kept From The Start

It was a Friday night when I got invited by my friend Niel to a certain event in our school. His friend is one of the organizers of the said event. Also he just wants to bring someone along.

                There weren't anything much to do that night so I agreed to go out with him. Honestly, being with Niel is kind of awkward for me these days ever since he asked me out and I told him that I wasn't really interested in a relationship yet. It's not the real reason to be honest. It's more of me being really uninterested in him. It was a good feeling that I rejected him though. At least I was being honest with myself.

                By this time, I got a text message.

                Ya Lizzy where are you now?

Don't worry I'm coming it's just I'm going to be late. Don't think of this as a date. Will you?

Haha. I'm expecting you'd say that. Am i being too much? Hurry up then.

Niel is pretty much a good person. He's one of the nicest friends I have. I know he'll find a better girl than me.

I got into the location where the event is being held. Finally, I was able to see Niel among this bunch of people.

What took me so long is basically because of preparing something to wear. I don't want Niel to be humiliated because of me. I need to look presentable somehow. Also, most of my friends are thinking that we are really dating but we just let it slide.

"Ya Lizzy. Why are you being like this to me? I almost didn't recognize you". He uttered.

"What is he thinking? Did I do something wrong with the way I dress?" I said to my mind as I smiled at him.

"You look really wonderful tonight. I'm not giving up on you." He quickly leaned for a whisper.

"Ya. You must really be crazy right now". I said to him as I pushed him away.

We both laughed at it together.

Lots of foods are served in the venue. We managed to eat a lot. Suddenly the crowd gathered to watch some performances. Niel and I agreed to watch it too. We’re both music lovers anyway.

A choir gathered up in the stage. Niel suddenly held my hand.

“This is going to be boring but I’m trying to be romantic for you.” Again he leaned in to whisper those words to me.

I didn’t react this time. My eyes were focused on a girl standing tall in front of the crowd. She was part of the choir. Throughout the whole performance my eyes were focused on her. I had no idea who she was. What could it be? Why am I feeling this now? I asked these questions to myself as I suddenly felt my heart beating faster than it normally was.

Niel finally let go of my hand as he clapped with the crowd as soon as the performance was done.

I could tell that Niel is not the reason why my heart was beating faster. It got me thinking this is the first time I've ever admired a girl.