TWO

IN. BETWEEN. OF. US.

TWO. Friendship


 

Jiyeon was in the classroom. It was a practical lesson, meaning they'd be trying out patterns, textiles and fabrics throughout. Jiyeon was gently a piece of plaid fabric, while her mind was completely drawn away by how dreamy Hongbin was. Or at least, how great of a first impression Hongbin had gave her. Jiyeon also remembered his face. His sharp jawlines, his beautiful eyes and his adorable dimples that have left a favourable memory in Jiyeon's mind. 

Just as she was alone at the corner before the start of the lesson, students in the class was gossiping about her. Girls were looking at her in curious expressions. It was not the first time for Jiyeon, as glares, stares were pretty much everywhere she goes in the art school. 

"Sheesh, I wonder how did she even get into this university. She doesn't have a nice portfolio." One of the girls whispered.

The other girl then whispered back, "You know what, rumours have it that her grades in High School are just borderline pass. How the hell did she even get here?" 

The girl then whispered, "It's so obvious she pulled in strings to get into this prestigious university. Her parents are so rich, all they have is the power to control their children's future. No wonder Seoul National University's results seemed to go on a decline recently. Must be these useless people causing such chaos to the school's reputation."

Jiyeon rolled her eyes and lowered her head down. She heard that countless of times. Ever since she entered the school and introduced herself to everybody, everyone started looking at her in a disgusted manner. Some despised her and some simply chose to ignore her presence. Only IU was her only friend she could talk to in classes and lectures.

The two girls then gave her a dangerous glare, their eyes seemed to sent messages of fury to her as Jiyeon immediately turned her eyes away, to see IU walking towards her.

"Hey, am I late for class?" IU asked.

"Nope, you're just about punctual. Class starts right now." Jiyeon replied back while IU heaved a sigh of relief.

The teacher soon came in with her necessities - books, some pens and markers. The teacher then started her lesson, giving brief instructions on today's work and setting out targets, requirements and goals to achieve during today's coursework. She gave a theme of nautical summer for the class, and demands them to give a detailed sketch of the possible bottom to display to the class.

The class is always carried out in two parts. First part would be the execution and the second would be the presentation. Jiyeon feared presentations as there would only be signs of hatred during her presentation.

They started working. IU was the hardworking one - looking at textiles while carefully sketching while Jiyeon was the one staring at her, while gently feeling the silky cloth on the table as she just simply mumble some suggestions or ideas to IU. 

Her mind was not into the class. She was more into Hongbin. It seemed like she wants to know more about Hongbin, and wants to be closer to him. The feeling was magical and was quite of the same as she felt with her ex-boyfriend.

"Oh god, are you really still thinking of Myungsoo?" IU exclaimed.

"What?! No, what are you talking about?! I am over Myungie.." Jiyeon denied.

IU gave a smirk to her and chuckled, "Yeah sure you were, you still call him the nickname you gave him when you two were together." 

Jiyeon immediately cupped while she slouched her body, staring in depression. "C'mon, cheer up, you'll meet someone better next time." IU urged her. 

Jiyeon looked at her, while hesitating, IU looked at her. "Yah, you got anything to say?" IU asked her.

Jiyeon gulped and said, "Well, I sorta meet someone cool today." IU immediately widened her eyes and turned her eyes to Jiyeon, paying full attention to her. "Well, he's Hongbin. He's taking the fine arts major, and he's pretty handsome and cute." Jiyeon described.

IU gasped in shock. "Woah, so you found yourself a beautiful flower boy?" IU asked.

"Hmm, yeah, kinda a flower boy, but with a hint of manliness. You should see him one day, he got a fine jawline and he's pretty fit." Jiyeon said, the thought of Hongbin set her heart racing. It almost felt like she fell under his spell.

IU looked at her, examining her expressions and let off a laughter. "That's a relief, he's a perfect guy to make you feel in love again." IU said.

"Don't say that.." Jiyeon hissed at her.

"Tell me that if you really don't think you have a crush on him." IU retorted back.

Jiyeon sighed. "Well maybe I do fell a little in love with him on the first sight. He's... dreamy." Jiyeon explained as IU was giggling away.

"Well, good luck to you girl." IU said while busy sketching on the sketchbook.

Class just went like that, Jiyeon and IU would be talking about Hongbin, while Jiyeon would be expressing her excitement for him while IU would be joking around, giving her thoughts about it. Presentations were smooth, and as usual criticisms from the class were plenty. Some said Jiyeon and IU's skirt was too short, while some complained it not having enough detail or the "it" factor. The teacher made no remarks, but she was not impressed with their design.

 

Jiyeon was now at home after a tiring day of lessons. She was resting on the couch, using her mobile phone, surfing through instagram and liking every cool shots out there. Suddenly, she jumped up from the couch upon receiving Hongbin's message.

It read: hey, I am Hongbin. It's my number! Nice meeting you today, designer.

Jiyeon could almost felt her heart throbbing in joy by his message. As her heart flutters, she then replied him back: Nice meeting you too, Hongbin-sshi. 

The conversation was getting awkward and Jiyeon was aware of that. She did not know how to start a conversation with him. Now that they greeted each other, Jiyeon was left speechless. What should she talk about? Should she just wait for him to start one conversation?

She laid back on the couch, staring at the conversation. Another minute passed. Yet another, and another passed. Jiyeon sighed as she felt as if the conversation had just ended like that. However, she was shocked by his reply: Ummm, this might sound strange but I wanna get some new clothes for school, so... do you wanna go out and hang out with me some time? If you are too busy, it's alright, I understand it.

Jiyeon smiled and blushed at his invitation and replied: Okay sure, umm I am free this weekend. You?

Weekend? Yeah I'm fine with that. How about Saturday? He replied.

Alright, see you then! Jiyeon texted him back.

Just then, her mother came out of her room, as she climbed down the stairs and saw Jiyeon staring at the phone. "You got no work to do?" She asked Jiyeon loudly.

Immediately, Jiyeon placed her phone away and shook her head while bowing politely to the mother. The mother scanned her from head to toe, "You need to dress more decently to school. Your outfit is a little too slobby." The mother commented.

Jiyeon looked down at her outfit, crop tops and loose pants, is this supposed to be not decent? If anything could be less decent than this, it would be tank tops and short shorts that show off the cheek. Jiyeon nodded her head, while she sat on the couch, using her phone.

"So... how's school and how's your grades?" The mother asked her.

There goes again with the school and grades talk. Her mother's only language would be grades. Everything revolves around Jiyeon's grades in her mother's mind. Jiyeon never had a talk with her about her personal struggles. Even if she tries to initiate one, the mother would shun the topic and shower her with concerns of her academic grades. Jiyeon looked at her and shook her head while staring back down onto her phone. Her mother grew impatient of her 'disobedience' as she pulled the phone away, looking onto the phone.

She saw Hongbin's contact, and the conversation between her and Hongbin. Jiyeon stood up and tried to grab back her phone, while the mother had saw it all. The mother pushed the phone back towards her and pointed her sharp fingers at her. "You listen up, don't let your grades be affected by your friends or your boyfriend." She urged her.

Jiyeon looked at her and nodded her head. It was as if she was forced to abide to everything the mother wants her to do. Being to Seoul University was her choice, being in the prestigious class in high schools, middle schools and elementary schools were also her choice. Her mother set the pathway for her future, but all she wants is to use her own capability to get her future, and not to get spoon-fed all the way into her career.

Her family was just authoritative in nature. Being the youngest member in the family means she would have to respect everyone in her family, which includes her father and mother, and her older brother, Jin. Her father is the CEO of a mega corporation in Seoul, while her mother is a well-known celebrity chef, while her older brother Jin is a team leader in the father's company.

Just as the mother was about to leave, her father came into the scene, while carrying a roll of newspapers on his hand. "What's all the racket out here?" He asked strictly. 

Jiyeon's mother started shivering as she timidly replied, "Just giving some concern to the daughter. Why are you down here anyway? I thought you wanted to rest, hubby." The mother said, as Jiyeon stood there motionlessly, staring into blank space.

She was always that dull at home. She always love going out, as long as it means she gets to go out of home. Home, was not as lively and fun sort of life that she always yearns for. The father looked at Jiyeon in doubt, "What concern? What did she do this time?" The father questioned.

The mother stammered her feet while replied softly, "Ah, I suppose she has a new friend, who is a guy." 

"A boyfriend?" The father said.

"No, he's not my boyfriend. He's just one of my new friends in the University." Jiyeon replied immediately, while the mother looked at her with her stern eyes. Her father looked at her while Jiyeon looked at him back confidently.

"What's his major?" The father asked her.

"Uhh.. Fine Arts." Jiyeon replied back while she was trembling nervously, afraid that the father might not like him.

"Well, isn't that pleasant. A fine artist. Well, he must be a good guy, at least better than your useless musician ex-boyfriend." The father said.

Flames of fury gushed through Jiyeon's body. She clenched her fists as she stared sternly at her father, "He's not useless. Certainly musicians aren't useless. Don't you ever discriminate him or musicians." Jiyeon retorted back.

"Brush up on your behaviour!" The mother said as she sent a slap right across Jiyeon's cheeks. Jiyeon felt her cheeks burning red, as she cupped her cheeks while several tears left her eyes. She wiped the tears off, grabbed her bag and ran out of the house.

 

This was not the first time Jiyeon left the home in tears. Jiyeon always questioned herself, why do she have to live such a life? Part of her wants to respect her parents, but her parents get too strict and demanding, that it almost seemed like they are trying to strangle her every time. Jiyeon went into a cafe, ordered a plain cup of espresso, as she went to get a seat beside the window. 

She held onto the cup of espresso. Espresso tastes bitter, yet only such bitterness could help her clear her mind, and get rid of the thoughts in her mind. She took a sip of it, while looking outside. Empty streets, and the empty roads with parked vacant vehicles around. Cyclists around the road, ringing bells while groups of students were walking back to the estates with their heavy backpacks and books. 

The flickering street lamp opposite the cafe shone unstable light through the street stall, where uncles were sitting there, chatting while holding on bottles of soju. Jiyeon sighed as flashbacks of the past came into her mind.

She always remember the times where Myungsoo would use to protect her from the family, despite the fact that her parents despise him. They would find ways to break them apart, and she remembered once that she and Myungsoo almost broke up over the family issues. However, being with Myungsoo was a smooth, touching relationship, until years ago Myungsoo went to Germany to continue his studies.

He did not say anything about it, the last words he have left behind were that he just wants to expand his musical knowledge, he wants to venture into other music industries out in the world. It was strange, yet Myungsoo was persistent in going overseas to study music. Jiyeon sighed as she took out her diary. 15 June, 2014. Exactly 2 years. 2 years he had left Seoul, and South Korea. Jiyeon looked down in the diary, and drew a moodless face below the date. 

She then wrote: "Bittersweet."

 

Saturday soon came and the week have passed by smoothly. She attended all the lessons, returned home, went straight into her room to do her own work and her own hobbies, while her parents did check on her occasionally. She always felt as if she did not receive any love in the family. Although the concerns her parents have for her could be an expression of love, but she wants and desire other forms of love. Her parents rarely express their love to her through actions like buying gifts for her. 

She would feel a tinge of jealousy with Jin around as their parents seemed to favour Jin over her. Maybe that is because Jin is so successful at the young age of 25, and they would be proud of him. Maybe if she was as good as Jin, she might receive such love from them. Sometimes she wants to be like her older brother Jin, but sometimes being Jin might also mean greater pressure by them.

Jiyeon was dressed in a casual style. Ripped jeans, with high-sole black boots, a striped crop top and a huge smooth black hat. She wore some sunglasses out, as she carried her denim-coloured clutch bag. She took out her phone and saw messages from Hongbin.

Where shall we go today? Any recommendations? He texted.

She smiled and replied: Well, hongdae would be crowded, we can go apgujeong, sinsa-dong.

Alright, see you there! He replied shortly after.

Jiyeon then quicken her pace as she went down to the subway to take the train to Sinsa. Upon reaching sinsa, she was greeted by the warm humid air, as she climbed up the stairs to see Hongbin standing near the exit, leaning his body against the wall of the building while staring at his phone,

She then slowly made her way there, tidying her hair and her outfit. Hongbin looked up and saw Jiyeon. He definitely felt a tingling sensation in him when he saw Jiyeon dressed so casually, yet so fashionably. Well, designers got to dress to impress. 

Hongbin didn't look too bad either. Wearing a short-sleeve plaid shirt and a pair of ripped jeans, matched with a pair of rivieras slip-on shoes. Jiyeon and Hongbin then started their outing. They went around, window-shopping through the various unique buildings of boutiques, cafes, restaurants, salons and galleries. They stopped over some, Hongbin tried on some shirts, Jiyeon gave him some of her opinions.

When they were at a tiny thrift store in a corner of Garosugil, Jiyeon picked up a Denim jacket, whom was ripped in design, and with several badges at the pocket, whom looked simply trendy yet unique. Upon trying on, Jiyeon gave thumbs up to the look of the jacket on him, and she bought it for him. Hongbin thanked her numerous amount of times until the word 'thanks' seemed to echo into Jiyeon's mind.

"I really can't thank you enough for that jacket. It's really too much to pay for." Hongbin said out of politeness.

Jiyeon looked at him and gave him a smirk. "It was nothing. Besides, it was on sale and it looked really good on you. Just 25,000 won, it's cheap." She said to him.

"You must be really rich huh?" Hongbin replied back.

Jiyeon smirked. "Yeah, pretty much but I don't really like it, as in my family even though they're rich. Like I would like to have better parents and a decent income than a demanding parents that are rich." Jiyeon whined.

Hongbin lowered his head and gave a brief smile. "Well, I do get what you're trying to say, but maybe they're just being demanding, because they have a lot of faith in you. Maybe they want you to succeed, even though they can get unreasonable, just take it as it's for your own good." Hongbin explained.

"You make sense, and I understand. However, somethings they do disgust me, literally." Jiyeon added on. "Like they always like to stick something in everything I do, every decision I make must be approved by them. It's like I don't get my freedom." Jiyeon explained.

Hongbin nodded his head. "Things will get better." He said.

"Hopefully. But it's been like this since I'm borned. I really hate it." Jiyeon said.

"I'm sorry for that, if you need anyone to talk to, I can always give a listening ear." Hongbin comforted her.

Jiyeon smiled. "Wow, you're great as a new friend of mine. I like it." Jiyeon commented as Hongbin blushed. 

"Is that a blush I see?" Jiyeon said.

"Wha...wh-blush? No..No..no.nono." Hongbin said as he cupped his face immediately. Jiyeon giggled at his cute expression. Hongbin was certainly, kind of a special guy.


Here's the 2nd chapter. SUBSCRIBE AND COMMENT.

And yesss, Myungsoo is Jiyeon's first love + ex.
hehehe gonna ship myungyeon too.