Eight

Falling in Love

Sitting at the back of the class, Yumi stared out the windows as she waited for Physics class to start. With her elbow propped up on the desk and her head resting in her hand, a crease formed on her forehead.

*I wonder if he's okay* Yumi hadn't seen Woohyun since yesterday when they were on the rooftop of the science building. She was worried about him because he was silent the whole time they sat up there. Yesterday was the first time she had ever seen the school's famous kingka like that.

 

Soon, Yumi's attention was leaning towards the girls who sat in front of her when she picked up an interesting rumour.

"Are you serious? They really broke up," she heard her classmate, Ara, whispher but it came out a bit louder than she thought.

Yumi wasn't the type of person to gossip, instead she only listened to them when she unintentionally overhears people talking. She turned her full attention to the three girls who were sitting together in front of her.

"Yes. I heard people talking about it earlier but I didn't know if it was true," one of them replied. "Look, I even got tons of messages about the big breakup between Woohyun and Hye Mi."

The third female took the phone and read the messages aloud. All of them were news about the breakup but it didn't say why it happened.

"Now that he's single, he will be mine," Ara said confidently and smiled to herself.

 

The classroom door opened and Woohyun along with Baekhyun walked in. Everyone became quiet and watched as Woohyun sat down in his seat. He didn't looked angry or sad instead, he had a poker face on.

Yumi watched him sit down in his seat and stare blankly at the whiteboard in front of him. Baekhyun on the otherhand got up from his seat and made his way to Yumi's desk at the back of the class.

"Hi," Baekhyun beamed which made Yumi take her eyes off of Woohyun.

"Hi," she replied and gave him back a smile.

"I'm here to return your book," he then revealed the book that he hid behind him and held it out. "Sorry for returning it so late, I hope there wasn't any problems," he apologized when she took her book.

"It's fine," she told him.

"Good to hear," Baekhyun spoke.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sound of a pebble knocking against the ground filled the quiet atmosphere. Yumi was focused on the small pebble she was kicking as she walked along the stone path to her house.

She kicked the pebble again but with a little more energy this time and it went out of her sight. Yumi went closer to the area where the pebble was kicked and scanned the ground.

Instead of finding the pebble, her eyes landed on a pair of black shoes. Yumi lifted her head to see who it belonged to.

The owner was no other than Woohyun. The corners of her lips curled up into a smile upon seeing him. She thought that he would skip out another day of community service like yesterday.

"You're here," she cheerfully spoke which caused Woohyun to turn his head to face her.

He was deep in his thoughts and didn't even noticed that she was there until she spoke.

"I thought you wouldn't show up like yesterday," she stated but quickly bit her lip when she realized what she said.

She didn't want to say anything that reminded him of what happened yesterday and this included the word 'yesterday'.

"I don't have any time to waste over petty things," he icily answered and walked off.

"I see that you're still upset," she muttered to herself and quickly caught up to him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yumi got changed and they both headed outside to begin working. Instead of going to the field, they went to the yard.

Today, they were going to finish building the fence that Yumi started yesterday. She got a box of nails and two hammers from the tool shed and then began working after she gave him instructions.

They worked in silence for the past hour and didn't come in contact with each other.

"You're going to break the nail if you hammer it too hard," she told him but he didn't listen to her and continued hammering away.

With another big hammer to the nail, the nail snapped into two.

"Ow!" he cried and quickly dropped the hammer on the workbench to examine his left hand.

Yumi stopped what she was doing and rushed over to his workbench when she heard him.

"Let me see," she took his hand and saw a small cut on it.

"It's nothing," he retorted and retracted his hand from her.

"It will get infected if you don't treat it," she grabbed his hand and looked at the cut with a bit of blood seeping from it.

"Wait here," she told him then ran inside the house.

 

A minute later, Yumi came out with a first aid kit in her hand. She placed the kit on the workbench and opened it. Her finger tips ran over several bottles and tubes until she found the bottle of alcohol.

She took a cotton swab and soaked one end of it with alcohol. Yumi then took Woohyun's hand with her free hand. When the alcohol came in contact with his cut, he winced in pain.

"You deserve it," she told him.

"What?" he spoke with a bit of anger in his voice.

"I warned you about hammering too hard," she replied as she began too dress the cut with antibacterial cream. "And if you're angry about something, you should talk it out instead of venting it out like that," she continued.

Woohyun became quiet since what she said was actually correct. She did infact warned him but he chose not to listen to her. Woohyun didn't trust the many friends he had except for Baekhyun

He tried talking to Baekhyun but it didn't work because he wasn't good at verbally comforting people so they both ended up with a hangover the next morning and was late for school.

"It's all done," Yumi spoke as she taped down the last side of the bandage.

"Thanks," he softly said to her.

"You're welcome," she replied as she fixed the first aid kit.

He looked at his cut that she treated and a small smile began to form on his lips when he saw the cupcake themed bandage.

"Oh sorry about that, it was the only one there," she apologized when she saw that he was looking at the girly bandage.

"It's fine," he answered.

Yumi took up the first aid kit and was going to put it back inside the house when Woohyun stopped her.

"Wait," he stopped her. "Can you be a friend and...... " he started.

She picked up what he wanted to ask and answered,"sure."

"Follow me," she instructed and he followed.

 

Yumi took a seat on the grass under a big tree. She patted the spot right next to her, indicating for him to sit down. Woohyun then sat down beside her. 

Sitting under the big tree was relaxing and refreshing as cool breeze blew past them.

"I heard that you both broke up this morning, is it true?" she asked.

"Yeah, she called it off," he replied."Over a text message."

"Isn't it better this way? She wasn't honest with you and cheated not once but twice. Don't you think you deserve someone better than her?" she commented. "I apologize for saying this but from my point of view, it seemed like she only dated you for popularity."

"Don't apologize because you're right. She told me the same exact thing," he told her. "I guess I was the only one who took the relationship seriously."

"It's just like what you've said. Don't waste your time on petty things like these. Cheer up and show her that you're better off without her and show her that it's her loss. I think you really deserve someone better than her, someone who likes you for you and not because you are the kingka," Yumi turned to him and spoke.

"I guess you're right. Not all first love will work out perfectly," he answered.

* First love? Was she...... his first love? *