One

Falling in Love

If Yumi had to choose one word to describe her life, it would be tiring.

It all started when her mother died of leukemia, leaving her father and her to pay off hospital fees. They had to sell their house to pay off a part of the fee and they stayed with the Kim family on their farm while her father worked there.

Every weekday, Yumi had to wake up early to help feed the animals and when she came back from school in the afternoon, she had to help out on the field by watering the crops. On weekends, it was assisting with the chores and working on the field.

The only time Yumi didn't work was during exam time because she had to study. 

Her life was like this for the past four years and it was really tiring.

 

Yumi woke up at six o' clock like she usually did on a Sunday and got ready for the long day ahead. She dragged her tired self downstairs to the kitchen to get breakfast and realized that nobody was there.

Yumi noticed that a note was left on the counter with her name marked on it. It was a list of chores that had to be done before twelve o' clock as there will be visitors coming.

She quickly ate her sandwich and drank her orange juice before getting to work.

 

The first thing on the list was to change and wash all the curtains in the house.

Yumi went to the closet to get new, clean curtains and placed the dirty ones in the washing machine. While the curtains were in the washing machine, she hung up the clean ones.

_______________________________________________________________

 

Yumi finally finished the list of chores and it was just eleven o' clock, leaving her an hour to wash up before the visitors came. She got herself a set of clean clothes from her drawer and headed for the bathroom.

 

It was noon when Woohyun and his mother were on their way to Kim's Produce Farm to film a commercial to advertise their family supermarket. 

Since Woohyun will be inheriting all the shopping centres that his father owned all over South Korea, he was forced to take part in activities like these. He hated when his parents bother him about becoming the heir because he didn't want anything to do with the family business.

When they had arrived, they were greeted by the owners, Mr. and Mrs. Kim.

"This is my son, Woohyun," Mrs. Nam introduced to the Kims.

"Nice to meet you," Mr. Kim then shook hands with Woohyun.

"I have brought him along so that he can take a look around," Mrs. Nam spoke. "After all, he will be taking over the family business," she continued.

"Oh yes, I will instruct someone to show him around then," Mrs. Kim replied.

 

Yumi was lying down on her small bed in her room when she heard a knock on the door. She got up from her bed and went to see who it was.

"Hi Yumi. Can you do me a favour, please?," Mrs. Kim asked when the door opened.

"Sure. What is it?," Yumi answered.

"I want you to show someone around," Mrs. Kim told her.

They both left the house and went to the location where the commercial was being filmed.

 

Everybody was busy doing their job while Woohyun sat there playing on his phone and listening to music, ignoring what's going on around him.

Yumi slowly approached him quietly, taking tiny steps each time. 

Nobody at school knew that she lived and worked on a farm and letting Woohyun, the school's kingka find out would make her life complicated.

"Excuse me," she spoke, preparing for the worst.

When he heard her, he turned his attention to her and took out one of his earplugs.

"Who are you?," he asked.

Yumi was confused when he asked that question. She had been in the same form class with Woohyun since the beginning of highschool and he doesn't recognize her.

It was probably because she was quiet and sat at the back of the class since nobody spoke to her because she was a scholarship student.

"I am the person that will be showing you around the farm," she told him, not wanting to tell him her name.

He rolled his eyes in annoyance. He was stuck here on a Sunday while instead he could be sleeping on his comfortable bed or hanging out with his friends.

Woohyun stood up then shoved his phone in his pocket and started walking away with Yumi following him.

_______________________________________________________________

 

An hour had passed and all that was left for Yumi to do was to show Woohyun the barn. She thought it was a waste of time walking around and telling him everything about the farm when all he did was focus on his phone.

At times, he would make comments at what she says which makes her really angry because she knew that he wasn't paying attention.

She wanted to go back to her room and rest but she agreed to help Mrs. Kim so she had to finish the favour.

 

Before getting to the barn, they had to cross a field. The field was muddy and slippery as it had rained heavily after the land was ploughed recently.

Yumi slipped on a pair of boots and got a next pair for Woohyun.

"Here, wear this," she said as she held up the boots.

"How do you expect me to wear those?," he answered.

"But if you don't wear them you'll- " she received a look from him which meant that he won't change his mind.

Yumi began to walk across the field with Woohyun folllowing behind her. She took her time to avoid falling into the big mud puddles and getting herself soaked in muddy water. 

Woohyun was on his phone and wasn't paying attention to where he was walking. He slipped and grabbed Yumi's arm, making both of them fall into the big mud puddle.

She fell on top of his body with her face meeting his chest. They were both covered with muddy water from head to toe.

"Look at what you did to me!," she yelled angrily at him when she got up."If only you had listened to me, this wouldn't have happened," she continued.

"What about me?!," he shouted at her then brushed his shirt.

Yumi was really pissed off so she pushed him, making him fall in the mud again.

With that being done, she walked away.