Three

Falling in Love

Yumi quickly copied off the notes from the whiteboard and handed in her graded assignment to the teacher before she exited the classroom. Today was Wednesday so school ended early.

Before going through the school gate, Yumi stopped by her locker to retrieve some books so that she could study later.

Since she was as scholarship student, she had to maintain outstanding grades inorder to continue her education there as there was no way she could afford to attend this school.

 

The hallway was quiet and empty when Yumi packed her bag with the books that she needed from her locker.

Suddenly, the loud slam of a locker startled her and she dropped the books she had in her hands. She turned to the end of the hallway from which the loud slam came and found the person she hated the most, Nam Woohyun.

Yumi picked up her books and quickly left the building.

The campus was empty as everyone quickly left school as the bell rang. Yumi headed towards the school gate and before she stepped through it, Baekhyun stopped her.

"Hi. You're Jung Yumi, right?," he asked.

Yumi nodded her head. This was the first time that Baekhyun had spoke to her and it was surprising that he knew her name.

"I'm Baekhyun, we're in the same chemistry class," he spoke. "I was absent last week and I missed out a lot of notes, so..... can you lend me your notes?," he asked.

"Sure," Yumi answered and gave him her chemistry notebook.

"Thanks Yumi," he said and smiled at her before he left.

Yumi stood there smiling crazily as she watched him walk away until he was out of sight.

 

When Yumi reached home after the long bus rides, she merrily skipped to the kitchen to get something to drink before she went upstairs. She was so happy and had a big smile across her face as she kept on thinking about what happened afterschool.

Her smile suddenly disappeared when she entered the kitchen and saw Woohyun sitting at the dining table. He chuckled at her sudden change in facial expression.

 

Mrs. Kim was returning to the kitchen and was stopped by Yumi who was standing at the kitchen door.

"Oh Yumi, you're finally back from school," Mrs. Kim spoke.

"Yes," Yumi turned to Mrs. Kim and answered. "I'll be going upstairs."

"Oh wait," Mrs. Kim interrupted.

She pulled Yumi by the arm and led her into the kitchen.

"Do you remember Woohyun?," she asked Yumi.

Yumi nodded her head. How could she forget a big jerk like him? The person who humiliated her infront of the whole class.

"That's great! Starting from today, you will be supervising him when he's here for community service," Mrs. Kim told her.

Yumi's eyes went round like saucers when she heard this.

"Me?," she asked as she pointed at herself.

"Yes. Now hurry up and go change, we don't want to keep Woohyun waiting," Mrs. Kim told her.

Yumi looked at Woohyun who was smirking at her and then looked back at Mrs. Kim before she left.

______________________________________________________________

A few minutes later, Yumi came downstairs dressed in a plain T-shirt and jeans with her hair in a ponytail. She went back into the kitchen and found Woohyun sitting at the dining table by himself.

"Are you ready? Let's go," Yumi spoke.

Woohyun brought his attention away from his phone and to Yumi who was standing infront of him. He eyed her from head to toe which made her uncomfortable.

"Stop it," Yumi ordered.

"So that's how poor people dress," he spoke. "Can't blame you for not being rich."

Yumi rolled her eyes at what he said and walked out of the kitchen. Woohyun quickly got up and followed her outside.

 

Today, Yumi was planning to stake the young orange trees that were blown down by the strong winds. She pushed the wheelborrow full of wooden stakes to the field while Woohyun lazily carried the reel of rubber hose.

She left him at the field and went back to the shed to get some tools which she couldn't carry before. When Yumi went back to the field, she demonstrated to Woohyun how to stake a tree.

"Do you understand now?," Yumi asked for the fifth time, a bit annoyed.

"No, show me again," Woohyun lied.

He kept on saying this so that she can do most of the work and then he will be left with a little to do.

"You're joking, right?," Yumi asked as she wiped off the sweat on her forehead with her hand. "I'll show you one more time and if you still don't get it after this, you're on your own," she told him then started to stake another tree.

_________________________________________________________

The place was getting dark as the sun was setting. Yumi brought all the tools back to the shed and then they both headed back to the house.

Woohyun only staked ten trees because of the rate he was working at so, Yumi ended up doing most of the work. She was tired and all she wanted to do now was shower, eat then sleep.

 

When they reached the house, Yumi left Woohyun downstairs and immediately went upstairs to shower.

Woohyun went to his car to get his bag which had a set of clean clothes in there so that he can change. On his way to the bathroom, Mrs. Kim stopped him and invited him to dinner.

Woohyun decided to stay for dinner since he was hungry and tired. He then headed to the bathroom but it was occupied when he got there.

Woohyun didn't bother to wait until the bathroom was available and went into the room at the end of the hallway. He locked the door behind him and started to change.

 

Yumi stepped out of the bathtub with only a towel wrapped around her small body after she finished showering. She realised that she left her clothes on her bed so she unlocked the bathroom door to go and get it.

When she opened the bathroom door, she found Woohyun in her room only in his boxers and a scream escaped her lips.

"Be quiet. You're so loud," Woohyun spoke. "Haven't you seen a shirtless man before?"

"Get out of my room!," Yumi screamed as she pushed him towards the door.

"I need to put on my clothes first," Woohyun told her then slipped on his pants. " What about you?," he asked as he eyed her who was standing infront of him, waiting for him to get out of the room. She screamed even louder than before when she realised that she only had a towel around her. She ran inside the bathroom and locked the door behind her.

___________________________________________________________

Dinner was ready and everyone gathered around the dining table except for Yumi who was still upstairs.

"What's taking Yumi so long?," Mr. Jung, Yumi's father, spoke.

Just then Yumi arrived in the kitchen.

"I'm sorry for letting everyone wait," Yumi apologized before she sat down beside her father.

Soon everyone started to eat dinner that Mrs. Kim had cooked. Yumi ate quietly while the adults engaged in a conversation that wasn't interesting to her.

She avoided eye contact with Woohyun who was sitting aross from her.

"Which school do you attend, Woohyun?," Mrs. Kim asked.

"Seoul High," Woohyun replied.

"Omo! Yumi goes there too," Mrs. Kim told him.

"Really?," he spoke. "Then I'll be seeing you more, Yumi," he said and flashed a killer smile at her, making eye contact.

"Hypocrite," Yumi muttered under her breath but Woohyun picked it up.

"Oh Yumi, what was the screaming for? Did something bad happen?," Mr. Kim curiously asked.

"It's nothing I .... I just saw a cockroach, that's all," Yumi replied.

"Liar," Woohyun coughed which earned a fierce glare from her.