Chapter 8

A Controlled Life

*1/15/2021

TW for abuse

Throughout a couple's life together, it's known to have some so called "traditions". An example of this would be the yearly visit of government workers. They would come by to check up on the "happy couples." In the first month of the couple being together, it is recommended that the in-laws meet together with the couple. The government would even send fliers about this to all the new couple's houses.

Both Kyungsoo's and Jongin's parents despised the idea of the two of them being together, with the exception of Kyungsoo's mother. She was okay with her son's uality. All she wanted was for him to be happy, and she was ecstatic about the idea of meeting her son's husband. Kyungsoo just got off the phone with his mom to talk about setting up a meeting.

Jongin was sitting in front of the TV eating a bag of chips as usual. Kyungsoo plopped down next to him, laying his legs across Jongin's. Their relationship got better ever since that night. Of course, years of torment don't just go away in a moment. Kyungsoo has always held that grudge deep inside of him, and Jongin somehow stopped his unexplained hate for Kyungsoo. They were only buddies. Nothing more, nothing less. They weren't even friends. They only learned to tolerate each other.

"Would it be okay if my mom comes here to meet us?" Kyungsoo's voice was soft when he spoke, afraid that Jongin would say no. There was probably no one in the world he loved more than his mother. He would literally do anything for her. He would pretend to be happy with Jongin if it meant making his mom happy.

The blond took a moment to think before nodding. "Yeah, as long as she's not planning on meeting my parents. When is she coming?" Jongin's parents made it very clear that they wanted nothing to do with him once he "started his gay life full of sin with his husband".

He let out a sigh of relief he didn't know he was holding in. "I'll ask her later." A comfortable silence settled between them with the exception of the television. "Have you, uh, talked to your parents since you moved out?" He blurted. He knew it was none of his business, but he was trying to make small talk.

Jongin shifted in his seat, his jaw clenching. The look in his eyes showed that he was uncomfortable. "No." He said shortly, sighing afterwards. "They said being gay is a sin, and that I'm a disgrace. They didn't even listen to me talk about the whole screw up with the system." Placing the bag of chips on the table next to the couch, he looked at Kyungsoo and opened his arms. The other stared at him questioningly before Jongin rolled his eyes and spoke up. "Come here."

Kyungsoo's heart started racing, and a blush dusted his cheeks. He crossed his arms, unconciously his lips. "Why?" It took him all of his strength to prevent him from stuttering.

He laughed when he saw the red head's nervousness, wiggling his fingers to motion him to come closer. "Why are you so anxious? Just come here." He paused, looking away and speaking softly, but loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear. "I-I want to hug you."

The older bit his lower lip as he thought before succumbing and crawling into the other's embrace. Jongin's arms immediately squeezed around him. Kyungsoo was on his lap, learning his back against the other. Jongin's head was resting on Kyungsoo's shoulder, occasionally kissing his neck.

Neck kisses were amazing. They had a special quality that set the mood and turned you on. They were wet and tingly. Once those pair of lips settled onto Kyungsoo's neck, tingles traveled from that patch of skin to the top of his head, tips of his fingers, and the ends of his toes. But kisses from any person could make Kyungsoo feel this way. It didn't make Jongin anymore special to him.

Since their intimate night, Jongin began to notice small things about Kyungsoo that made him... desirable, adorable. Like the way he always smelled faintly of apples because of his shampoo. The way he absentmindedly sang his heart out in the kitchen when he cooked. Or the way he would scrunch his nose and run his hands through his hair when he woke up. The little quirks made Jongin, not fall in love with Kyungsoo per se, but made him like him more. It made Jongin forget why he even started tormenting him in the first place.

Jongin reached a hand up to swipe Kyungsoo's bangs out of his face. Before he could even touch him, Kyungsoo flinched away, closing his eyes tightly with his hands over his face. When he realized what happened, Kyungsoo scurried to get off Jongin's lap. "Sorry..." He ran into his room as fast as he could.


Kyungsoo checked the mirror for the nth time that evening as he waited for his mom to arrive. He wanted to look his best for his mom. He wanted to show her that he was happy so she wouldn't have to worry. He rushed out to the living room where Jongin was casually laying on the couch. "We-We have to act like a real, happy couple, okay? Hold my hand and kiss me and stuff. Ya know, what couples d--" He was cut off when Jongin stood up and kissed him.

He smirked when Kyungsoo pulled away immediately, "Like that?" He laughed as Kyungsoo opened and closed his mouth, unable to say anything. "Come on, we've had multiple times, but you're embarassed by a small kiss?"

The moment was interrupted by a knock on the door, and Kyungsoo ran to get it with a smile on his face. Once the door opened, he lunged to hug her without giving her a chance to greet him. Jongin stood behind Kyungsoo, waiting for them to release each other. He'd never seen Kyungsoo this happy.

Kyungsoo's mother patted his back and he finally released her. "So, this must be my son in law." She smiled as she approached Jongin and hugged him. "Jongin, right?"

Jongin nodded and smiled at her, "Yes, I've heard so much about you. Kyungsoo talks about you a lot."

She suddenly turned around to face Kyungsoo. The expression on her face dropped. "Your father came with me." Kyungsoo's happy aura turned into pure fear. Jongin could feel the tense mood in the air.

When Kyungsoo felt a presence behind him, he turned around with a dreadful face. He put on a forced smile and greeted his father. Jongin could immediately tell something was wrong. Kyungsoo fiddled with the sleeves of his shirt as he spoke, "We cooked some dinner, and I think the rice is done cooking. Come, sit at the table." He spoke gently.

He grabbed Jongin's hand to drag him into the kitchen. They started pulling silverware and bowls out of the cabinets. He spoke in a hushed voice, "W-We can't be all lovey dovey. We can only be just a little okay?" He mumbled more things that Jongin couldn't make out, but he agreed either way.

At the table, Kyungsoo's parents sat next to each other, and Jongin and Kyungsoo sat across from them side by side. They sat in silence, only the sounds of silverware clinging and chewing could be heard. Whenever Kyungsoo was nervous, his knee would bounce, and his hand would run up and down his thigh. Noticing this, Jongin casually placed his hand on top of Kyungsoo's and entwined their fingers. Both of them stared at their hands before glancing at each other.

Their moment was interrupted when Mr. Do cleared his throat. "Jongin, is it? What's your profession?" His voice was deep and gruff, it sent tremors throughout your body.

"Dance instructor." He said shortly, too afraid to look up at the man.

He let out a low hum. No one could tell if it was a positive or negative one. "Are you two enjoying your life here?"

Jongin thought hell yes he was having the best he'd ever had, but Kyungsoo spoke up before Jongin could blurt out anything. "It's okay. Not the life I want." As he said that, Kyungsoo let go of Jongin's hand. Jongin felt like a sword pierced through his heart.

"Am-Am I not enough for you?" He blurted, looking truly hurt. He was a lost puppy, looking like he would start crying any moment. Kyungsoo looked at him with wide, terrified eyes, hoping that his father wouldn't lash out at any of them. As soon as he realized what he had said, he bit his lip, and was too afraid to even apologize. He didn't trust himself to say another word. Kyungsoo's mother side glanced at her husband, looking for any warning signs. 

He cleared his throat again, breaking the couple's gaze. "I just want to say that being gay is a sin. It's terrible that the pairing system malfunctioned on you two. Jongin, I know your reputation. I know that you'd never go for someone as pathetic as my son. I don't know what kind of spell he has on you since it seems like you actually have love for him. If you want help, there's churches that can do that. You know, I have some influence amongst some government officials. I can put you through a conversion therapy program, and they could assign you new partners after that."

Jongin clenched his jaw as he listened to the man speak. He looked over to Kyungsoo who hung his head low as he listened. At the final sentence, Jongin banged his fist on the table. Kyungsoo and his mother looked at him with frightened eyes. His father stared him down, tilting his head to the side. Jongin opened his mouth, and Kyungsoo grabbed his arm tightly and shook his head. "D-Don't, please."

"What? Let him speak, Kyungsoo." His father placed his utensils down, and he folded his hands in his lap.

Seeing the terror in their eyes, Jongin closed his mouth and shook his head. "Nevermind, it's nothing."

In the blink of an eye, Kyungsoo's father stood up and walked over to Kyungsoo, raising his hand. "You shouldn't refrain your husband from speaking. Where are your manners?"

A loud slap resonated throughout the room. Tears welled up in everyone's eyes as they watched, their jaws hanging down. He adjusted his tie before clearing his throat once more, "I'll be in the car." He turned to his wife, eyes threatening. "Don't be long."

Once he calmly walked out the door, Kyungsoo's mom shot up to get ice from the freezer. Jongin brought Kyungsoo into his arms, not knowing what to do. "Are you okay?"

Kyungsoo nodded, sniffling as he struggled to get out of his grip. "I'm fine. It's fine, don't worry about it." He stood up to accompany his mom. The taller followed behind him.

As soon as his mother saw them, she handed the ice to Kyungsoo and stared deeply and with urgency at Jongin. "P-Please don't report it to the police. I-I'd only get denied, and it would happen more-more often, please. I'm begging you." She was holding tightly onto his hands. 

Jongin nodded and promised he would keep it a secret. Kyungsoo was standing over the kitchen sink, one hand holding an ice pack to his cheek and the other rushing to wipe his tears away. All thoughts left Jongin as he rushed over to Kyungsoo and wrapped his arms around his waist. They stood there for a second as Jongin immediately started placing kisses on the back of his neck. Kyungsoo sighed as he wriggled away, turning to face Jongin. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

He turned to his mother again, "Mom, you should go. I don't want you to get into more trouble. And before you ask, I am happy with Jongin. We're really happy together." He said as he wrapped an arm around the other's waist who hugged him back just as tight. 

She nodded and smiled, "I'm glad you are. Thank you for having us. I love you, Kyungie."

"I love you too, mom. Be careful, okay?"

After she left, Kyungsoo went back into the kitchen, still pressing the ice pack to his cheek. Jongin bit his lip, wanting to say something, anything to comfort Kyungsoo. But what were you supposed to say in this situation? He'd never had an experience like this. Kyungsoo was the first one to speak up. "Should we throw all of this out?" We. Kyungsoo had never mentioned to the both of them as we, as a couple. It was a strange thing to notice, but Jongin was eager for Kyungsoo to accept him more.

"No, it's a waste of food." Jongin mumbled as he placed his hand over Kyungsoo's. "I'll do the dishes. You should rest." He nodded, and placed the things down in his hand.


While Jongin placed the dishes into the dishwasher, his mind was focused on Kyungsoo. He couldn't stop worrying about him. As soon as he finished, he quickly paced to Kyungsoo's room. Pressing his ear to the door, he heard Kyungsoo sniffling and knocked before entering. He stood by the door awkwardly, playing with his fingers when he didn't know what to say. "Are you okay?"

He sat up slowly, looking at anywhere but Jongin. "Does it really look like I'm okay?" He laughed softly. "That was a dumb question, Jongin." The younger made his way to Kyungsoo's side. He turned towards Kyungsoo with open arms and a gentle smile. Without a moment of hesitation, Kyungsoo leaned into Jongin's chest, relief washing over him as soon as Jongin's strong arms were wrapped around him. "Thank you." His voice was so soft Jongin almost didn't hear him. He responded by kissing the other on top of the head.

Minutes later, they were both lying down on the bed, facing each other. Kyungsoo's tears were running almost nonstop, and Jongin wiped them as soon as they came out. He traced the red blotch from both the slap and the coldness of the ice on Kyungsoo's cheek.

Kyungsoo was... ashamed. He didn't know what for or why. The feeling just rushed through him everytime his eyes met with Jongin's. When he wanted to say something, he pulled himself closer to Jongin to bury his face in his chest so he wouldn't have to face him. "I'm really sorry you had to see that."

Jongin ran his fingers through the other's red hair. He knew it comforted him. "Don't be. It wasn't your fault." He started rubbing his back, drawing shapes on there with his finger from time to time.

Taking a deep breath, Kyungsoo found comfort in being surrounded by Jongin's cologne. "Can I ask you a question?" He asked, voice still soft like a feather. Jongin hummed in response, drawing a question mark on his back to which Kyungsoo smiled a bit. "How come you're so nice now? You spent almost everyday making fun of me at school. What changed?"

"Guess I just lost the need to seem cool. Everyone thought it was funny, and that I was cool for doing it." He paused, "It made me feel powerful. But now, I know how stupid that was. A high schooler's mentality is that being an makes you funny, you know?" He cleared his throat when he realized that his heart was beating faster, and Kyungsoo could probably hear it. "Now that I've gotten to know you, you're really cute..."

He looked down since there was no response. Kyungsoo had fallen asleep. He sighed, slightly disappointed that he hadn't heard his confession.

That confession was horrible.

He could work on it. He'd tell Kyungsoo at the right time.


Ayeee another chapter finished! This one seemed easier to write for some reason lol and if u see any typos pls tell me because this entire chapter was typed on my phone ;;

Btw thank you guys for so many subscribers and 3000 views like that is so crazy omg i love you all

I hoped you enjoyed the chapter! Subscriptions, comments, and upvotes would be very much appreciated! Thank you for reading!

Tumblr | Instagram | Twitter | snapchat: gemstonemay

(Because I've had a few people ask for other social medias lol)