Chapter 12

A Controlled Life

It was surprisingly hot for a Summer morning in Seoul, and Kyungsoo was sporting a loose tank top and one of Jongin's basketball shorts which were slowly falling off his hips with every step. He stretched his arms over his head as he walked out of the apartment building and muttered to himself, "'Global warming is fake' my . The polar bears are dying and so are we." Kyungsoo decided to take a morning walk for a change since Jongin obtained the sudden urge to go to the gym every morning, leaving Kyungsoo to wake up alone for the past week. He passed by a newspaper stand that presented the usual headlines. Police brutality! Celebrity divorce! Protest over marriage pairing system! 200 year anniversary coming up for enforced Testing and Pairing! New theories on if the system will fail and be overthrown! He pulled out his phone to text Jongin as he continued to walk.

Kyungsoo: heyheyehyeheyeheyeheyeyheey answer look at your phone
Jongin: LOL hey did you just wake up?
Kyungsoo: yeyeyeye I think I might go grocery shopping today
Kyungsoo: There's nothing to eat
Kyungsoo: you want anything?
Jongin: Just you beb ;)
Kyungsoo: shut up
Jongin: LOL twizzlers, watermelon, and chapstick
Kyungsoo: What a combo
Jongin: LOL okay i gtg i almost fell off the stair climber
Kyungsoo: okie be safe don't die
Jongin: I won't! I love you!
Kyungsoo: u greaseball ilyt
Jongin: wow you can't even spell out ilyt for me? :( is our love even real
Kyungsoo: gbye
Jongin: :(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

A familiar voice called out, "Kyungsoo!" As Kyungsoo slipped his phone back into his pocket, he looked up with wide eyes to the source of the voice. "It's, uh, Lim Hyunsik. You remember me, right?" Hyunsik rubbed the nape of his neck with a shy smile as he slowly approached Kyungsoo.

Oh . Kyungsoo's blood ran from his face, "Oh yeah! H-Hey funny running into you," he responded in the most neutral voice he could pull off. The tension in the air was suffocating both of them.

"How have you been?"

"Good, good."

"That's good."

"Yeah."

"I've been good too."

"That's good."

"Yup."

Long uncomfortable pause. Bird chirping in the background.

Hyunsik finally spoke up, "Haven't heard you for a while. I texted the number you gave me, but there was no response."

Kyungsoo feigned shock, "Oh, really?" He sighed, realizing that being fake would get them no where. "Okay, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be fake like this. I'll be honest. The guy I was paired with and I started getting along really well." He made eye contact with Hyunsik. "Really well."

The taller nodded slowly, pursing his lips, "I see."

"I'm sorry for not telling you, but like... it's awkward, you know?"

"Yeah, yeah totally," Hyunsik's tone quickly turned sour. "Hope you're happy with him," he said in an extremely condescending tone, and he passed by Kyungsoo, roughly brushing against Kyungsoo's shoulder.

Kyungsoo grimaced, speed walking towards the grocery store.


Carrying five shopping bags up 3 flights of stairs was quite the endeavor for Kyungsoo to the point of regretting not going to the gym with Jongin. When he turned the corner to go towards his apartment, there was a man in front of their door. Kyungsoo silently heaved a sigh of relief when he discovered it wasn't Hyunsik appearing to get his revenge, but that didn't make it any less scarier.

He carefully approached the man, his keys seated between his fingers pointing outwards just in case he needed to defend himself, "Uh, hello. May I help you?"

The man was dressed in a suit, and his deep voice resonated throughout the hallway, causing Kyungsoo to jump slightly, "I'm here to see Jongin." The man resembled Kyungsoo's father, striking more fear into his heart.

"May I ask who you are?"

"I'm Jongin's father."


"Jongin, what do I do?!" Kyungsoo whispered into the phone aggressively. He locked himself in the bathroom and turned the exhaust fan on.

Jongin was freaking out twice as much as Kyungsoo was, "I don't know! I don't know, I'm making my way there. I'll be there in 10 minutes for now give him whiskey or something. I don't even know why he came over. He didn't tell me anything. I'm so sorry I'll make it up to you. I'll even take you to that expensive meat resteraunt you love," he continued to ramble on.

His ramble went one ear out the other with Kyungsoo after the word "whiskey," "Kim Jongin, where the hell am I going to get whiskey? It's illegal, and you know I don't know where to even get whiskey."

"Oh, right. Uh, coffee?"

"Alright, hurry home, please. I think I'll die if you take too long."

"Yeah, I'm literally running right now. I'll be there! Bye!"

Kyungsoo took a deep breath before stepping out of the bathroom. He went into the living room where Jongin's father was standing, looking around the room intently. "Hello, sir. Let me introduce myself properly. I'm Do Kyungsoo," he bowed low. Jongin's father just scanned Kyungsoo with his eyes.

Silence once more.

"Would you like anything to drink?" he asked quietly.

"Coffee."

"Of course! I'll be right back."

Kyungsoo quickly prepped the coffee machine and turned it on, soon returning back into the living room where Jongin's father-- no, Kyungsoo's father-in-law, was sitting in the middle of the larger couch. Kyungsoo sat opposite to him, a mug of cold water in his hands. He noticed that Jongin's father continued to look around the room rather than pulling out his phone like most people would usually do. Kyungsoo looked down at the cup in his hands, taking a sip of water soon after and then saying, "Jongin said he would be here soon--" He was cut off by the sound of a key unlocking the door.

Jongin walked in, panting with sweat running down his... well, everywhere. "I'm here." He took off his shoes and quickly paced over to his father and bowed, "I'm so glad to see you," he smiled slightly, but Kyungsoo could see the discomfort in his eyes. "I'll go shower and change really quick." Jongin stepped over to Kyungsoo and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead before running off to the bathroom. Kyungsoo's eyes grew wide, not expecting Jongin to pull such a bold move in front of his very homophobic father.

The coffee machine suddenly started beeping, giving Kyungsoo an excuse to get up. "Would you like any sugar or creamer?"

"No thank you."

"Okay, I'll be right back."

Ten more minutes filled with silence and sipping noises passed before Jongin finally stepped out of the bathroom. He sat down next to Kyungsoo and entwined his fingers with Kyungsoo's. He stared straight ahead blankly, waiting for his father to speak first while Kyungsoo kept his focus on the cup of water in his other hand as he gently rubbed his thumb against the top of Jongin's hand.

Jongin's father set his empty mug on the coffee table and straightened his posture, "How have you been, son?" His grave voice giving Kyungsoo goosebumps once again.

"I've been really good." His grip around Kyungsoo's hand tightened. 

"You're really gay? You're actually in love?" He asked. Jongin nodded firmly and confidently. His attention shifted to Kyungsoo. "What did you do to my son? He wasn't like this before. We've always taught him that being gay is wrong and ensures a spot for you both in hell. Especially you," he pointed to Kyungsoo. Jongin kept trying to interrupt his father's rant, but could not overpower his voice. "Do Kyungsoo, is it? Your father has contacted me. We're both thoroughly displeased with all of... this. We have connections who have kindly decided to help us all since we all know this pairing from the test was a mistake made by the test algorithm. All of the paperwork will be done in 3 weeks."

Both Kyungsoo and Jongin felt numb. The hair on Jongin's arms stood as if they were reaching for the sky. Kyungsoo's ears rang as if an explosion went off five feet away from him. This couldn't be real, could it? Was it even possible for test results to be reversed like this? They may have wanted this at the start, but everything changed. What were they going to do?

Jongin let go of Kyungsoo's hand which remained limp on Jongin's thigh, "How? How could you do this? How was this even possible? No, you can't do this! This is cruel! You're--"

"I'm just looking out for you! You are not the son I raised right now. That disgusting homoual poisoned your brain! I'm doing what's best for you. Trust me, you will thank me in the future."

Jongin took a big breath and calmly said, "First of all, Kyungsoo and I are biual. Second of all, you do not get to decide what happens with my life because I'm a legal adult now. Lastly, get the hell out of my house."

His father stood up, "There's nothing you can do, son. Mr. Do and I worked hard to get this process going, and there is no way it will not happen. This was your three week notice." He slipped on his shoes and closed the door behind him as he walked out.

More silence.

Then, Kyungsoo's sobs. 

Jongin wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo and placed a tender kiss on his temple, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I don't know what to do."


DUN DUND DUDUDUUUUNNNNNN

lol i'm sorry. this was short and sad and so hard to write :,))))

I'm also thinking this story will end in about 5-10 chapters and hopefully it'll be over by the end of this summer D:

Thank you for reading and commenting and upvoting and subscribing and just giving me all of your support it means so much to me! I love receiving your feedback, and it's so motivating to see all of the support! Please continue to support me even after this story ends ;~; i have no idea what I'll write but I honestly don't want to stop writing ever lol

See you in the next chapter!

Snapchat: @gemstonemay
Twitter: @sabbydays
Tumblr: dokyungstupid.tumblr.com
Instagram: @sab.grey