Chapter 3

A Controlled Life

A/N: Okay so trigger warning for abusive parents and as always, some swearing. If you wish to skip the abusive part just hit ctrl+f (I think) and search ~*~*~ I'm writing this from my phone so please tell me if you see any mistakes!

Also, thank you all for subscribing and reading! 25 subscribers, 5 upvotes, and over 200 views. It may not be much, but it's so encouraging to see these results just from posting 2 chapters

*edited 1/15/2021

-

After Kyungsoo exited the room, he quickly walked back to the entrance to retrieve his backpack. He walked with urgency, but not enough to alarm any security guards or other government officials. Instead of waiting for the bus, he decided it would be faster to walk back home.

Stupid ing Kim Jongin. How is being paired with the person who torments him every second "fate"? Fate and destiny are total bull. Things happen in our life because we make certain decisions that have different outcomes.

Who the hell even thought of the stupid government system? Some head thought that controlling everything in the country would keep everyone safe, but people can't be controlled. No matter what you do, there will be people who will rebel. Of course, people who do try to start a rebellion do not go unnoticed from the government. No one really knows what happens to rebellious people. Some say they put them in torture chambers. Others say they're sent to jail or executed in some deserted place. There are so many conspiracies that Kyungsoo can't even count them.

Before he knew it, he finally reached his house. He took his keys out of his pocket and unlocked the door. He didn't even get to open the door before his mom ambushed him. "How did it go? What job did you get? Are you going to live close by? What does she look like? How many kids are you having? Are you getting any pets? Come on Kyungsoo speak up!" She exclaimed, pulling Kyungsoo into the house and dragging him to the kitchen.

"Mom, calm down you didn't even close the doo--" Kyungsoo was quickly cut off when he saw his father sitting in front if him. Those stern, solemn eyes were staring right through him. He his lips before sitting properly in his chair, folding his hands on the table. Memories quickly flooded his mind before he was even able to open his mouth. His eyes quickly glanced down to his father's tightly clenched fists.

"Well go on, Soo! We've been waiting all day for you to come home!" His mother smiled brightly. Her smile was always so contagious. He couldn't help but give her a small smile back.

"Um, well... I'm going to be a doctor." He cleared his throat, looking right at them like his father taught him to. He tried to think of what to tell them next, not wanting to tell them about who he was paired up with. Of course his parents had no idea who Kim Jongin was or the torture that he put him through for the past however many years of his life. Getting his parents involved would only make the situation worse. They would call him mommy's boy like they did in middle school. Kyungsoo's eyes wavered as he carefully chose his next words, "I'm going to live somewhere in Seoul, so I think I can visit you frequently. No kids, but we can have two pets--"

His mom slammed her hands on the table, causing Kyungsoo to jump in his seat. "No kids? Why no kids? Am I not going to have grandchildren?" She looked at him with glassy eyes.

"N-No, um..." He continued to stutter, making his father speak up with a loud, booming voice. "Speak up." Biting his lip, Kyungsoo looked up and stated with a weak voice, "I was paired with a man."

A blanket of silence enveloped the family. Kyungsoo watched nervously as he could see the anger raise in his father and the sadness and disappointment well up in his mother's eyes. "A-Are you gay?" His mother asked, her voice close to a whisper, almost as if she was too scared to utter the words.

"No, of c-course not. It's just--" He sighed, tears threatening to spill from his eyes, "When I was taking the test I must have said I didn't care about gender."

Kyungsoo's gaze dropped down to the table, his hands quickly reaching up to wipe his tears away. His father's fury was almost palpable like a pot of stew threatening to boil over on the stove. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see his mother nervously glance at her husband, holding and rubbing her hands together anxiously. The silence was disrupted by the sound of a chair screeching and a loud slapping noise. Kyungsoo felt a firey burn on his cheek. Tears welled up in his eyes once again as he raised a hand to touch his cheek.

"I will not have a gay son in my house. Being gay is a sin, you know that, Kyungsoo. You - You have always been a disgrace." His father spat, walking around the table to stand next to Kyungsoo. He pulled on Kyungsoo's hair, forcing the young boy to look up at him. "You're a disappointment! Do you hear me?!" His father screamed as he punched Kyungsoo on his face, causing him to fall out of his chair and hitting his head on the table on the way down. For a while all he saw was black. All he heard was screaming and more sounds of his father raising a hand to his mother. Then he out.

~*~*~

Kyungsoo's eyes fluttered open. All he saw was white and glow in the dark stars. He was in his room. To his left he saw his mother, tenderly running her fingers through Kyungsoo's hair as she held an ice pack to Kyungsoo's cheek. He gave her the best smile he could muster up, hoping his would give her the same amount of comfort as her smile. "Hi, mom."

She smiled, tears falling out of her eyes, "Hey, Soo. How do you feel?"

Kyungsoo reached up to wipe the tears off her face. He did it carefully as he was afraid she would break easily like a china doll or disappear like a shooting star. "I'm okay. How are you?" He asked, tilting her head to the side so he could see the bruise forming on her right cheek.

She shook her head, pulling Kyungsoo's hand away. "I'm fine, don't worry." She pulled out a tube of bruise ointment from Kyungsoo's drawer, squeezing some of the substance onto her hand and massaged it gently onto Kyungsoo's bruises.

He frowned, "You don't look fine." He sighs. "Why can't we just tell the--"

"No, Kyungsoo, we can't." She stopped him abruptly. "You know we can't. Your father... He's a rich man. He can support me financially, and you know how officials are. Would they really believe my word against his? He has power. I don't. If we tell officials, your father would only hurt us more." She sniffled, wiping the excess ointment on her skirt.

Kyungsoo sighed, slumping down further onto his bed. "Mom, I wish I could help you." He said, eyes welling up with tears as his lips quivered.

She nodded, "I know, baby, I know." She leaned down to kiss his forehead. "You always say that." She got up from her chair. "It's late and you have school tomorrow. The day after you meet your mate is always the craziest." She smiles, "Get some rest. I love you, Soo."

"I love you too, mom. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

~*~*~

Kyungsoo shot straight up from his slumber when his alarm ringtone from his phone pierced through the air. He rubbed his eyes before quickly shutting it off. He was expecting to wake up to a hundred text messages from his friends telling him about who they were paired with, but there were none. He frowned. Did something bad happen? He pondered on it for a while before grabbing his uniform and walking to the bathroom.

Once he was done washing his face, brushing his teeth, and changing, he rummaged through one of the drawers. He pulled out a tube of foundation and a container of powder. He squeezed some of the liquid out of the tube and onto his skin carefully. After all these years, he finally knew how to hide the wounds so no one would know what happened to him. After applying the foundation, he took out a makeup brush and quickly put some of the powder on the area so it wouldn't come off later. He sighed, looking at his reflection before slipping the objects into his bag and walking out of the bathroom. He walked into the kitchen to grab a bagel and kissed his mom goodbye.

When he arrived at the school, girls were squealing over who they got paired with. Some of the pairs were already getting pretty close to each other. However, the topic the school was talking about was who Jongin got paired with. Some girls were even lying and saying that they got paired with him. This, of course, led to numerous fights around the campus.

Usually Kyungsoo and his friends would arrive to school an hour early to talk and eat breakfast in the cafeteria. But today, it was only Baekhyun and Luhan. "Where's Chanyeol?" Kyungsoo asked as he sat down next to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun's eyes widened at the latter's name. He looked at his two friends with nervousness. "Ch-Chanyeol? I'm not really sure! Have you guys, uh, tried texting him or something?"

Kyungsoo turned to look at Baekhyun, studying his face. "Something's weird. What happened?"

"What happened? Nothing happened! Absolutely nothing! I have no idea what you're talking about." Baekhyun rambled on, quickly stuffing some eggs into his mouth. "The cafeteria eggs are unusually salty today aren't they? Do you think the cafeteria volunteer students are crying while making these?"

Luhan looked at Kyungsoo with wide eyes. "How was your placement meet?" He asked before eating some of the eggs. "Ew, you're right. Soo, you want my eggs?"

Kyungsoo shook his head. "Um, it went well, I guess. Who did you guys get paired with?"

Luhan blushed, coughing a bit while mumbling a name. Kyungsoo threw Baekhyun's eggs at Luhan and told him to speak up. Luhan looked around, pausing when he saw a group of boys sitting at the very back corner of the cafeteria. "O-Oh Sehun."

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo stopped moving, staring intensely at Luhan. Almost everyone in the school knew Luhan had a crush on Sehun ever since 4th grade. They used to be best friends, but it was Kim Jongin who split them. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun squealed, leaning over the table to grab onto Luhan who was also squealing with them.

After a while the three friends calmed down. Kyungsoo turned to Baekhyun. "How 'bout you?"

Baekhyun bit his lips, poking his rice with his chopsticks. "I-I," he leaned forward onto the table and put his face in his hands. When he spoke his voice was close to a whisper. "I g-got paired with Chanyeol."

Kyungsoo and Luhan were quiet for what Baekhyun thought was an eternity. "Chanyeol? Our Chanyeol?" Luhan asked. Baekhyun nodded. "But-- how?! I thought Chanyeol said he told the judges he wanted a girl!"

"I-I don't know! The people said they were having computer matching problems for the past year so it was screwing everything up! And even if we wanted to change it they couldn't because everyone was paired up already!" Baekhyun's eyes filled with tears. "I-It's my fault he's not here today. He's sad an-and ashamed. I ruined his whole life."

Kyungsoo leaned over and hugged Baekhyun tightly, "You didn't ruin his life. If it makes you feel any better, the same thing happened to me."

Baekhyun looked up with teary eyes, "Who were you paired with?"

"Kim Jongin."

"WHAT THE ?!" Luhan coughed after he choked on his milk. "You better watch yourself."

~*~*~

Classes passed by quickly, and soon enough it was lunch time. Kyungsoo walked down to the cafeteria and quickly got into the lunch line before it got too long. Once he grabbed his lunch, he walked to his usual table near the front doors of the cafeteria. He was the first one there and Luhan and Baekhyun joined him eventually. "Still no Chanyeol?" He asked.

Baekhyun's eyes dropped down before he shook his head. "Nope." He picked up his chicken and took a bite, quickly spitting it out. "Oh, what the ?" He stuck his tongue out and quickly drunk all his milk. "Why is it so spicy? Chicken shouldn't be--"

Baekhyun was cut off when someone approached Kyungsoo from behind and made him turn around. The boy took his water bottle and squeezed it, causing the water to launch at Kyungsoo. He closed his eyes, wiping his face. When he opened his eyes he saw Jongin. He pursed his lips, turning around in his seat to dry as much of his clothes as he could with the small napkins.

"Wait--" Jongin called for Kyungsoo, turning him around again. "What's wrong with your face?" He asked with a taunting smile, carelessly poking at Kyungsoo's bruise. Kyungsoo's eyes widened before he covered it with his hand, standing up abruptly to run to the bathroom. However, when he took a step he slipped in the water that was spilled earlier and he fell to the floor. Sighing, he got up and grabbed his backpack before shamefully walking to the bathroom.

Luhan and Baekhyun knew what Jongin was pointing to. It didn't take sherlock to know what was happening at Kyungsoo's house. They both got up from their seat, about to go to the bathroom to find Kyungsoo but they stopped in front of Jongin. "You're such an , you know that right? You should be nice to someone who you're going to live with for the rest of your life." Baekhyun retorted.

"Yeah, and if you ever lay a hand on him, I swear to god I will tie you up, hang you by your feet, and do the same things you do to him. ing treat him well or else I will-- you don't even want to know what I'll do to you." Luhan glared at Jongin who was looking at them with an amused smile.

"You have more in your personality than you do in your pants." Baekhyun said.

"How would you know that exactly?"

"Because you're one of those douchebags who walks around in the ing locker room." He rolls his eyes before taking Luhan's hand and running to the bathroom.

~*~*~

Baekhyun and Luhan ran into the bathroom, knocking on the handicap door. "Kyungsoo, it's us. Open up." Luhan said softly. Immediately the door opened and Baekhyun and Luhan quickly enveloped the smaller into a tight embrace. Luhan runs his fingers through Kyungsoo's hair and kisses the top of his head. "Shh it's okay. Let it out." Kyungsoo didn't even hesitate to start sobbing. He let his tears run freely, soaking through his friends' uniforms.

"I'm sorry. I'm so embarrassed" He whimpered, sniffling as quietly as he can.

"It's fine. Let it out, Soo. We love you, you know that right?" Baekhyun coos, trying to comfort the other. He never was good at comforting others.

Once Kyungsoo calmed down, Luhan wiped his tears while Baekhyun began to put more makeup on Kyungsoo's face. However, the group of friends didn't know that there was someone right outside the bathroom, listening intently to their conversation. And who do you think that is? Kim Jongin, of course. He laughed to himself as he watched the drama in the bathroom through the camera of his phone. 

Kyungsoo heard someone snickering, his head shooting up and looking at the direction of the noise. He ran towards the entrance of the bathroom and found Jongin who was looking at Kyungsoo with wide eyes. The anger in Kyungsoo had finally reached its boiling point. He raised his leg and kicked Jongin hard. He kicked him once more before grabbing Baekhyun's water bottle and pouring it over Jongin's head. "You ing ." Kyungsoo sobbed, more tears flowing out before he ran down the hallway. Luhan and Baekhyun sighed, grabbing their possessions before chasing after Kyungsoo.

Jongin was quickly overcome with guilt.

-----

Yay! I wrote another chapter in one shot at 2 am omg 

I'm sorry this was word vomit but I really wanted to write so ta da I hope it wasn't too disappointing

Thank you for reading! Please subscribe and comment! It means a lot to me ^^~