Chapter 1

A Controlled Life

A/N: Edited 1/15/2021

 

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes as he watched a couple a few tables away from him crying hysterically. He didn't understand the concept of love. Everyone was going to die eventually, so what was the point in putting all that affection and "love" into someone just to lose it all in less than 100 years? Kyungsoo gagged and scrunched his face in disgust as the couple started openly kissing and groping each other. Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Luhan plopped down next to Kyungsoo, along with their lunches. They all followed Kyungsoo's gaze and cringed. 

"That's so gross." Luhan said as they all watched the boy reach under the girl's shirt to squeeze the girl's .

Chanyeol sighed, "You can't blame them, though. Placing Tests are starting today, and there's a big chance they won't be put together." He placed a carrot stick in his mouth and began to chew on it, crunching in between each of his words, "I hope I get placed with a smoking hot girl with lots of curves and big--" He was cut off when Kyungsoo shoved a couple more carrot sticks into his mouth.

Out of the corner of his eye he could see Baekhyun's mouth quickly turn into a frown at Chanyeol's comment. Clearing his throat before speaking Kyungsoo looked at Chanyeol and said, "What if you get paired up with a boy?"

Spitting the carrot sticks out of his mouth and onto his plate Chanyeol answered, "Well, I guess that's okay, then." Chanyeol shrugged, "I prefer girls over boys, though."

Just as Kyungsoo was going to say something, a bottle of water was tilted over his head and spilled all over him. Once the bottle was empty, the person holding it hurled it against his head. Kyungsoo tilted his head down and let out a long sigh as he wiped the water away from his eyes. Baekhyun immediately reached for the napkins near his tray and started wiping the water off of Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo was flicked in the head once more by none other than Kim Jongin with a girl wrapped in his arm.

"That ing . I don't understand how you stand him." Baekhyun muttered as he reached for more napkins from Luhan. In all honesty, Kyungsoo absolutely hated the way Jongin treated him, but he would be lying if he said he hated Kim Jongin with all his heart.

"Have you ever thought about reporting him?" Luhan asked.

Kyungsoo shook his head. "That would only make everything worse." Even if Kyungsoo tried to go to a teacher or the principal, they would never believe him. Kyungsoo was only known as the boy who was bullied by Jongin and his group of friends. Jongin had a big reputation. He was on the basketball team, he had straight A's, but more importantly, he was definitely good looking. Even Kyungsoo would admit that Jongin was more than attractive. 

Kyungsoo took off his sweater and folded it neatly into his backpack. Today was the Placing Tests, and he didn't want to look like a slob in front of the judges. Today's lunch period was longer than usual due to other students going through their tests. The tests usually took place when you were 18 and in one's last year of high school. Every year the tests would take place in the beginning of March. As he looked around, he could see that many people were stressed over their tests. Some people were even mumbling answers to themselves. It was well known that if you answered the questions in a certain way, you were bound to get a good placement. Which meant a nice house, a well paying job, a spouse of the gender identity of one's choice, and many children. The number of people who had this type of lifestyle was growing immensely since the test had been going on for at least 20 years, so people knew what they wanted their answers to be in order to have a successful life. The government started allowing homouality and stopped discriminating against transgender individuals two years ago. Now there was an option to choose what kind of relationship you would want. Other than that, there was basically no freedom in the world. The government always proclaims that it's to "protect the world" and "keep the world a happy place," but everyone knows it's just their way of controlling everyone.

Although most people hated the idea of having the government control their entire life and decisions, Kyungsoo didn't mind. He wasn't very good at making decisions anyway. Ever since he was a child he never had just one opinion on one topic. If you asked him what job he wanted before he took the test, he wouldn't care what job he got as long as he had one. He was also 100% sure that if the government didn't choose his husband or wife, he would most definitely end up alone for his entire life. Honestly, what kind of person would want someone like Kyungsoo? He wasn't anything spectacular. He had big eyes, plump, heart-shaped lips, narrow shoulders, and wasn't exactly made of muscle. Instead of his body being rock hard with muscles, he was more like marshmallows. Soft and squishy.

Kyungsoo was removed from his thoughts when Chanyeol threw some of his overcooked, mushy rice at him. "What do you want, Chanyeol?" He asked as he wiped the rice off his face.

Chanyeol laughed, "I said what do you think about the Placing Test?"

Kyungsoo shrugged and placed a cold french fry into his mouth. "I don't know. I don't really care. We've gone over this a million times - I really couldn't care less."

Rolling his eyes, Luhan elbowed Kyungsoo's side softly. "That's all we ever hear out of your mouth! I don't know, I don't care, I don't mind -- You should really speak up for yourself sometime! You know, speak your feelings and your opinion. Otherwise you're just a really boring person. If you act that way for the judges then they'll give you a job in a business office without a wife and living with your parents." But Kyungsoo really didn't care about those things. The test wasn't really a big deal for him.

"So? We're going to die anyway so what's the point?" Kyungsoo said with a monotone voice as he took a plastic spoon and shoved it into his mouth to chew on.

"You always say that! Life is too short to base all your opinions on the fact that we're going to die in the end. So, you make the best out of your life and accomplish lots of things so you won't waste your life away." Baekhyun replied.

There was a moment of silence before Kyungsoo spoke again. "What's the point of breathing if we're all going to die?" His three friends groaned. Kyungsoo meant to say it in a joking way, but when he spoke it sounded more serious. 


Lunch period was over, and it was finally the time everyone had been dreading. Luckily, Kyungsoo, Luhan, Chanyeol, and Baekhyun, were placed in the same testing group so they sat together outside the school as they filled out their forms. Once they turned in the forms and sat back down, Baekhyun took the chance to talk to Chanyeol. The only time Kyungsoo ever saw Baekhyun so animated was when he was with Chanyeol. He thought their relationship was cute, even if Chanyeol was too dense to ever realize Baekhyun's feelings.

Since the judges were going in alphabetical order, Baekhyun was the first one to leave. The three of them wished Baekhyun good luck before he left. Kyungsoo caught Baekhyun's lingering gaze he left upon Chanyeol. As always, Chanyeol didn't notice the other's loving gaze. Moments of comforting silence passed. Luhan and Chanyeol were busy going through their answers, so intensely absorbed that the two didn't even react when Jongin stood in front of Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo dug his nails into his hands as he slowly looked up at the boy standing in front of him. "Hey, owl face." Kyungsoo sighed internally to his very familiar nickname that stuck with him ever since elementary school. Jongin kicked Kyungsoo in the shin. "Respond when you're being spoken to, idiot." At this comment, Chanyeol and Luhan finally looked up to see Jongin.

"What do you want, Jongin?" Chanyeol glared at the other, clenching his fists.

Jongin scoffed as he turned to look at Chanyeol, "Was I speaking to you? No, I wasn't. Did anyone tell you that you're radiating a strong smell of," he paused to sniff the air dramatically, "rotten garbage today? I suppose that's just your natural smell."

Kyungsoo pursed his lips together, tired of the pest in front of him, "What do you want?"

"Ah, yes the loser finally talks!" He laughs, "I just wanted to wish you all good luck on your tests, but let's be honest. We all know that you three, plus your other loser friend, are going to get the lame jobs. You'll probably get the fat and ugly girls -- I mean boys. Because you're all obviously gay." He shook his head, "So gross!" Jongin threw his head back as he guffawed at his own comeback, "Good luck, homos." Jongin, of course, didn't leave without flicking Kyungsoo particularly hard on the forehead.

Rubbing his forehead, Kyungsoo sighed. He wasn't even given a chance to calm himself down before one of the judges came out of the door and called Kyungsoo's name. He bit his lip. Why was he even nervous? There's no need to be nervous. He's never spent a second of his entire short lived life to worry about the test, so why start now?

Kyungsoo walked into the classroom. It smelled different. The whiffs of chalk, textbooks, and the B.O. of hormonal teenagers, were replaced with alcohol, hand sanitizer, and bleach. Sterilized. He immediately saw the four judges sitting at a white table. All of the desks and chairs in the classroom were pushed to the sides neatly. He closed the door behind him as he stepped in. One of the judges pointed to a transparent gown placed on one of the desks, and he was told to take off all his clothes, including his underwear, and put the gown on. While he was taking off his clothes quickly behind the changing screen, Kyungsoo gave himself a pep talk. There was nothing to worry about. It was only the biggest and most important test of his life. It was at that moment that Kyungsoo regretted not asking his parents about the answers. When they offered some advice for him, he told them he wouldn't need it.

He stepped out of the screen, wearing only the transparent gown. His hands unconsciously traveled down to cover his . He didn't understand why he couldn't wear his underwear. How would the size of his or the appearance of his body change his test scores? He stepped up to the red x, which was at least 6 feet away from the judges' table. "Please put your hands at your sides." Slowly, he dropped his arms to his sides, an apparent blush blooming on his face as the judges scanned his body up and down. He suddenly felt extremely self conscious. He should have done some sit-ups or something to make him look at least a little bit toned. As time progressed, the judges told him to turn around, look a certain way, or lift up one of his limbs so they could get a better look at him. Eventually, they put away the clipboards they were writing on and picked up another one. It was time for the questions.

"Your name is Do Kyungsoo?" A woman with obvious fake, glittery eyelashes and blonde hair asked. Kyungsoo nodded, he figured he should vocally answer instead of just nodding so he mumbled a small, "yes." She smiled softly as if she knew what kind of terror he must be in right now. "Don't feel uncomfortable, okay?" Kyungsoo laughed internally, trying not to let the corners of his mouth raise up. How could he not feel uncomfortable when there were four strangers looking at his completely body? She began speaking again, "So, Kyungsoo, what is your favorite color and why? You may only pick one."

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow at this question. Why would they want to know his favorite color? Maybe they're trying to learn about his personality. "I-I like light blue because it's calming, like ocean waves, an-and it's just a really nice color..." At that moment, Kyungsoo wanted to throw himself against a wall and die. What the kind of answer was that? It's a nice color, he mimicked to himself.

This time, another judge spoke up. It was a man who had gray hair, balding in the middle of his head and very thick glasses, the kind that made his eyes look 2 times larger than what they actually were. "What gender identity would you like your spouse to be? Male, female, nonbinary..."

Kyungsoo's answer came out way too fast this time, "I don't care about gender!" Kyungsoo wanted to curl up on the floor and cry right at that moment.

They continued on with their questions, asking about how his lifestyle is like now and the type of family he had. They also asked him about his social life and school. Most of the time he didn't know if he should have lied about some of his answers, but it didn't hurt to tell the truth.

The Placement Test was done thirty minutes later. He quickly changed back into his clothes, enjoying the warmth and comfort it gave him. After spending more than 30 minutes in a cold room with nothing on but a see through gown, he never missed his clothes more than he ever did in his life. When he walked out, he could see that Baekhyun was back from his test. Chanyeol and Luhan were still inside the rooms, taking their tests. So he scurried over to Baekhyun. He sat down next to it and immediately started talking about the test. It was mostly Baekhyun talking, but Kyungsoo enjoyed listening to other people talking. When Baekhyun was going on and on about how nervous and cold he was, Jongin's name was called. As he was walking to his designated room, he gave Kyungsoo a glance. Kyungsoo couldn't tell what kind of glance it was. Was it a worried glance? No, it couldn't have been. Why would Jongin even spare Kyungsoo one look when he wasn't bullying him?


School was finally over for the day, which meant testing was over. Chanyeol was complaining about how he was pretty sure he messed up big time. Luhan was rambling about how his mind went blank as he answered the questions, which caused him to stumble over his words. Baekhyun was listening to both of them, talking about how his s went hard when he was in the classroom. That was when Chanyeol talked about how he almost got a because one of the judges was very very alluring and attractive. It was times like this when Kyungsoo wondered why he got stuck with these three idiots as friends.

Luhan pushed Kyungsoo a little, "Kyungie, how do you think you did?"

Kyungsoo shrugged, "Okay, I guess." Horrible. I did absolutely horrible.


~*~*~

Oh my god I know this chapter this really boring I'm so sorry ;; But the first chapter is always boring right? Mostly because it's the introduction and stuff.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed! Even though it was extremely boring

Thank you for reading! Please subscribe and leave your comments! Also please point out any mistakes you see in this chapter or in the foreword! It's 1AM right now OTL I'll try to edit this when I wake up tomorrow