Chapter 14 (final)

A Controlled Life

Here it is. The long awaited finale. I'm sorry for making you all wait like 3 years :,) I was going to delete this story, but it just didn't feel right.


It was the next morning, and Kyungsoo had just woken up; he was staring blankly up at the ceiling. Jongin left 30 minutes ago to go to the gym, leaving Kyungsoo to his own devices. After sleeping on it, the severity of the situation hit Kyungsoo hard. If everything went wrong, they would be put to death or even worse: Put in prison for life. But if everything went exactly as planned? What would even happen then? Where even is their final destination? They didn't have money, so how would they settle elsewhere? Where were they going to live? What about language barriers? What about his friends? Disappearing off of the face of the world would worry all of his friends to death. Kyungsoo began doubting himself. Was it all worth it for him and Jongin to stay together? His heart said yes, but his anxiety said no. 

Bzzz Bzzz. The rapid fire of text messages from Kyungsoo's phone snapped him out of his spiraling trap of anxiety producing questions.

Baekhyun: Do Kyungsoo!!!
Baekhyun: How ya been?!?!!?!
Baekhyun: ?!?!?!!?!?!!
Baekhyun: When's the next time you want to hang out? I got Luhan and Sehun to agree to meet up
Baekhyun: dudedudeudueeudueeudueue come on
Kyungsoo: Alright alright I'll tell Jongin. What time is good for everyone on Saturday?
Baekhyun: 2PM! We'll meet you at that ice cream place next to your apartment!

Kyungsoo hopped out of his bed, wrapping the comforter around him as he did. He looked like a Russian nesting doll as he walked out to the kitchen to fix himself a bowl of cereal. After 10 minutes of slowly eating his sugared grains to the point of it denaturing to soggy sugar milk, the front door opened to reveal a sweaty Jongin in a wife beater and sweatpants. He jogged over to Kyungsoo and chuckled as he kissed the side of his head- or rather, the blanket, "Good morning, my lovely penguin! I see you're having some soggy grains today paired with a nice blanket." Kyungsoo stayed silent. "Soo, you alright?" Jongin bent down to get to Kyungsoo's eye level.

Kyungsoo nodded, "Just a little anxious," he looked up at Jongin with big eyes and puckered his lips for another kiss from Jongin who then complied.

"Wanna talk about it?" Jongin asked, caressing Kyungsoo's head through the blanket.

Kyungsoo sighed, holding his head in his hands, "I just-- I'm worried! You seem too happy about all this and we could die and what are we going to do if we can't speak the same language as everyone and--" Kyungsoo kept rambling on as Jongin listened intently, nodding along. 

Once Kyungsoo was finished, Jongin grabbed his hands and held them gently, "I'm worried too. I know how dangerous this can be, but I think it'll be worth it," he paused, not knowing what else to say to calm down Kyungsoo's nerves.

Kyungsoo only nodded, squeezing his hands in response. After a silence shared between the two, Kyungsoo finally spoke up, "I was thinking this morning... Would it be worth it to risk our lives just to stay together? I mean half of the population aren't even loyal to who they're paired up with, and almost all of them get away with having other relationships. Why can't we do that?"

Jongin thought for a moment. Kyungsoo did bring up a good point. Jongin pursed his lips and huffed, "That's a good point, but do you think our parents would let that happen?" More silence. 

"You might be right."

"Mhm."

"But wouldn't being paired up with someone else and us separating be better than dying?" Maybe we're just not meant to be. No, Kyungsoo wasn't going to say that. Gotta be rational.

Jongin took a deep breath, withdrawing his hands from Kyungsoo's and avoiding the other's eyes, "Soo, if you don't want to do it, then we don't have to. Truly, sincerely, I understand if the dangers outweigh everything else. I won't force you."

He nodded, staring down at the table, "Okay, thank you. I was half expecting you to burst out at me."

"No," Jongin ran his fingers through his hair, "I would never do that to you."

Kyungsoo relished in Jongin's touch, not knowing how much longer they'd be able to spend time together. He sighed and swirled his spoon around in the sugary cereal milk, "Just give me some time to think."

Jongin nods as he choses his next words carefully, "I'm not going to pressure you or guilt trip you, but this is how I see it. Even if things get rough in whatever new country we're moved to, then we still have each other. To add onto that, if we don't go, your mom is still going regardless of whether we go. If we stay, we'd probably be relocated far away from each other, we won't be able to live together like we are now, and your mom would still be gone. I would risk everything I have to be with you." Jongin pressed a light kiss to Kyungsoo's forehead, to which Kyungsoo smiled.


Kyungsoo spent all day and all night filled with anxiety as he pondered over his decision. He'd have to make a decision by the morning since the sign ups were around that time. For the time being, Kyungsoo cleared his mind and cherished the time he spent wrapped in Jongin's arms, memorizing his scent, listening to his slow breaths, and feeling his heartbeat.

Jongin woke slightly when Kyungsoo rustled and asked in a groggy voice, "You okay?"

Kyungsoo nodded as he played with the collar of Jongin's shirt. "I think we should do it."

A burst of energy rushed throughout Jongin's body, and he held Kyungsoo tighter, "Really? You mean it?"

"Yeah," Kyungsoo inhaled deeply, attempting to calm his nerves, "I don't think I could ever live without you. Even for a second."


The next day was the sign ups. It was first come, first serve since escape routes out of the country were high in demand. Kyungsoo and Jongin woke up at 5AM and prepared to head out. They both put on normal, inconspicuous clothing to avoid catching the attention of any government watchers. They both wore beanies to cover their unnatural hair color, and Jongin took out all his piercings.

Unsurprisingly, there were already 8 people at the meeting spot. The meeting spot was a storefront: Sunni's grocery stop. Kyungsoo assumed Sunni was one of the anarchists. As of right now, it just look like everyone was lining in front of the store, waiting for it to open.

Kyungsoo whispered to Jongin, ". Do you remember if they said anything about what the capacity was? Because I don't think they can hide this many people in a plane. My mom isn't even here yet. What if she doesn't make it in time?"

"Speak of the devil," Jongin said as he turned around and smiled at Kyungsoo's mom.

Kyungsoo let out a sigh of relief and threw his arms around her. She smiled at him and whispered, "I'm glad you guys came. Sunni is the anarchist that told me about this is walking up just behind me. Give her like 30 seconds. We didn't want to seem too suspiscious walking together."

Right on time, Sunni greeted everyone as she walked up to unlock the store's door. Everyone filed in. Sunni spoke softly, but loud enough for everyone to hear her as she approached the cash register, "Act normal, spread out, pretend you are shopping."

Jongin and Kyungsoo went to the aisle with candy, hands held together tightly. Jongin's eyes fluttered over a pack of Kyungsoo's favorite candy, a type of hard candy that fizzled in your mouth like soda, and kept a mental note to buy one before leaving. The couple pretended to scan the aisle for possible purchases as Sunni approached them. She gave them a quizzical look as she spoke, not expecting a couple to show up at one of her meetings. She handed both of them slips of paper that looked like coupons, "Hello, here's our special coupon for today! I hope you take advantage of our sales today."

Upon further inspection, the coupon had instructions. 

Kyungsoo's coupon read: #10 Plane A938 XXX 18th 2:33AM. Orange.

Jongin's coupon read: #11 A784 XXX 31st 4:23AM. Yellow.

Kyungsoo's heart pounded in his ears, threatening to spill over as he whispered, "Wait, no no no no we can't be on different planes. They're days apart. Something could happen. If they notice that I'm gone, they could arrest you or torture you or kill you! I can't let that happen. We need to go together! Maybe we could talk to Sunni and she could rearrange us." His hands shook as he rambled on, tears threatening to spill from his eyes. All the possibilities rolled around in his head, and none of them were good.

Jongin inhaled shakily and kissed Kyungsoo's hand, "Soo, it's okay. If this is how it has to be, then this is how it has to be. We're going to get through this." Kyungsoo's lip quivered as he looked up at Jongin. Jongin's heart ached. He was just as scared as Kyungsoo, but he couldn't show it. He needed to be strong.

Just then Kyungsoo's mother approached the two. She silently showed them her coupon: #9 Plane A938 XXX 18th 2:33AM. Green.

Kyungsoo almost started begging on his hands and knees for his mom to switch tickets with Jongin, but he couldn't. How disrespectful and rude would that be? To ask his mom to live even a second more under this government's oppressive regime. But without a word, switched her ticket with Jongin's, grabbed a bag of strawberry gummies, headed to the cash register, and walked out the door after she made her purchase. Kyungsoo could've collapsed with relief if it weren't for Jongin hugging him. Jongin whispered, "It's okay. We're okay. Let's get out of here. Do you want anything from here?" Jongin grabbed a bag of the soda candy and waved it in Kyungsoo's face, hoping to cheer him up.

With a shaky smile and a nod, Kyungsoo grabbed another bag of sour gummy worms, Jongin's favorite, before walking to the cash register.


From the day of the sign up, the 18th was a week away. Everyday since then, Kyungsoo and Jongin begged the universe to be kind. They prayed that their fathers wouldn't speed up the process of their separation. Manifestations, hopes, and prayers were all they could do to ease their anxiety. Other things that helped were sitting on the balcony as they watched the clouds and stars pass by, cuddling during movies, eating copious amounts of popcorn, and warm kisses. Sometimes it felt like it was just the two of them existing on the planet, and they would do anything to preserve that kind of peace.

It was Saturday. Another day filled with dread, but it was also the day they agreed to meet up with all their friends. As they got dressed together, Kyungsoo practiced his "I'm Totally Fine And Everything Is Okay" look. Jongin practiced his "Life Is Going As The Government Planned" smile. The two discussed thoroughly that neither of them would tell anyone that they were trying to escape the country. It pained both of them deeply, but it was what they needed to do to protect their dearest friends. There would be no talk about their fathers separating them either.

 As Kyungsoo was brushing his teeth, he patted down a strand of his now black hair. Though the days seemed to blur together, Kyungsoo and Jongin dyed their hair back to black, figuring it would make it easier for them to sneak around with hair that didn't scream "HEY PAY ATTENTION TO ME!"

When Kyungsoo and Jongin made their way down to the ice cream shop, Luhan, Sehun, Baekhyun, and Chanyeol were already sitting at a table, up their ice cream. Baekhyun waved at them obnoxiously as they bought their own ice cream to chow down on.

Kyungsoo tried his best to look happy as he sat down at the table. "Hey, guys!"

Luhan squinted, "Something's off. You okay?"

Baekhyun stared at Kyungsoo and then switched his gaze over to Jongin, "Yeah, you both look weird. Is something up?"

Kyungsoo could feel a drop of sweat push out of every pore on his body as he tried to think of an answer. Instead he just chuckled and shrugged his shoulders, stuffing a spoonful of mint chocolate chip ice cream into his mouth. Jongin, thankfully, came to the rescue, "Oh, you know. Parent stuff." Everyone nodded, immediately picking up the vibes Jongin was putting down.

"Okay, well! I wanted to catch up with everyone. I'll start! Chanyeol and I got a cat!" Baekhyun exclaimed, tugging on Chanyeol's arm to show the group a picture.

Chanyeol laughed as he scrolled through the photos, "I chose to name her Soup because I think it's funny!"

Everyone went around giving updates on their lives. Sehun and Luhan went to the beach and had their first kiss at sunset. Sehun tried dragonfruit for the first time. Baekhyun almost burned down their apartment while baking a cake. Kyungsoo made up a lie about having a Harry Potter marathon since both him and Jongin had never seen the movies before. Jongin talked about how Kyungsoo befriended all the stray cats in their neighborhood.

When the chatter started dying down, Kyungsoo asked softly, "Hey, Jongin, Sehun, do you mind if I have some one on one time with the rest of them?" Jongin gave Kyungsoo a look of worry before Kyungsoo silently shook his head as if to say, "Don't worry, I won't tell them anything."

After Jongin and Sehun went to another table, Kyungsoo cleared his throat before he began to speak, "Don't worry this isn't anything too serious. I just missed you guys a lot and I wanted to say a few things."

Luhan smiled and reached out to hold Kyungsoo's hand, "Of course! We missed you too, Kyungie. We really have to start hanging out more often, huh?" At the sound of those words, Kyungsoo's heart tensed in his chest, but he had to maintain his composure

"I just wanted to say that," he paused, taking a deep breath to stabilize himself, "I really appreciate you guys. You were there for me through thick and thin. I know you think I'm all 'there's no point to anything because we're all going to die,' but I think Jongin has really changed me for the better." He smiled as he looked up to see them smiling back with the same tenderness, "I know you guys might not trust Jongin, and I know it's crazy that I've fallen in love with the dude who harrassed me for years, but we talked. I really appreciate and understand life more. I don't know how to make you guys understand just how deeply I love you guys too. I don't think I've ever said that, but thank you for everything you've done for me whether it was standing up for me or just buying me an ice cream whenever I was down. I'm never going to forget that. I'm so grateful to have so many people in my life that love me." Kyungsoo finished with a sniffle, finally giving into his tears.

Baekhyun sobbed, "OH, KYUNGIE! I don't think I've ever seen you so vulnerable! What the hell did Jongin do to our stoic, pessimistic Kyungsoo?!" Everyone gathered around Kyungsoo for a group hug.

Chanyeol wiped away his tears, "Damn. I've never cried this hard before."

Luhan nodded and ruffled Kyungsoo's hair, "We're always going to be here for you. No matter what!"

Jongin sighed and laughed lightly as he watched the group cry and hug. He turned to Sehun and said, "So, uh. I don't have a big dramatic speech, but I appreciate you too."

Scoffing, Sehun rolled his eyes, "Yeah, yeah, love you too. No matter what you say, I won't do all the tears and stuff."

Soon enough, everyone decided it was their time to leave. Kyungsoo and Jongin gave each of them a tight hug, knowing it'd be the last time they would see any of them.


The 18th came sooner than Kyungsoo would've liked. "Kyungsoo can you stop pacing? You're freaking me out." Jongin opened his arms, hoping Kyungsoo would plop right in like he always does. Instead, Kyungsoo was fixated on the clock, waiting for 2AM to arrive. It was still 1:43AM.

"Maybe we should leave early? Just in case, ya know?" Kyungsoo wrung out his hands. By now, his hands were raw and dry.

Jongin shook his head, "No, if we get there too early, it could give the whole operation away. Come here, do some deep breaths with me." Kyungsoo finally plopped down onto the couch and took some deep breaths. Jongin cradled Kyungsoo's face in his hands, slightly squeezing his cheeks together, "We're going to be fine."

15 minutes later, and it was go time. The couple slipped on their shoes, said one last goodbye to the apartment, and left for the final meeting spot. The walk to their designated areas was only 10 minutes away. When they got there, they had to find the color of the tarp that was written on their coupon and crawl into one of the boxes under the tarp. Kyungsoo's orange tarp was closest from where they came from. Crouching, Jongin lifted the tarp for Kyungsoo and helped him get into one of the boxes. Kyungsoo looked up at him with fearful eyes. Jongin gave him a reassuring smile and lifted Kyungsoo's chin to give him a gentle kiss, "You're going to be fine. I'm going to be fine. I'll see you in a couple hours." Kyungsoo nodded.

"I love you."

"I love you too."


Kyungsoo didn't know how much time had passed, but it felt like an eternity. He was curled up in the box, hands clasped together, uttering prayers of, "Please let him be okay, please let him be okay, please let him be okay."

In the middle of his chanting, Kyungsoo heard the boxes around him being picked up before his was picked up as well. He held his breath, afraid to make a sound. Suddenly, a familiar voice spoke to him in a whisper, "Are you okay in there?" It was Sunni.

"Yes," Kyungsoo spoke loud enough for her to hear him. "Did you pick up the boxes in the green tarp yet?" he asked, hoping for Jongin's safety.

"Not yet. I'm getting that one next. Your mother also told me to pass a message to you: Good luck." Sunni quickly left Kyungsoo's crate after setting him down in what he supposed was the airplane.

Then, Kyungsoo heard a knock on the top of his box. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to respond before it was opened forcefully. He was met with a blinding flashlight and instinctively held his hand up to cover his eyes. "Oh, why didn't you respond? Get up!" The woman laughed as she held a hand out to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo took the stranger's hand timidly as he stood up. Once his eyes adjusted, he recognized the woman from Sunni's store. "Don't be afraid," she smiled, "I'm sneaking out too. We're allowed to get out once we're in here." Kyungsoo, the woman, and the rest of the escapees were deep inside the cargo hold of the plane.

Kyungsoo looked out the entrance of the cargo hold, anxiously waiting for Jongin's box to come in. Suddenly, he saw a figure approaching the entrance, who he assumed was Sunni. As they came closer, it was indeed Sunni with Jongin's box. Instinctively, Kyungsoo ran to the entrance, ignoring the "Hey wait!" from the other escapees.

Kyungsoo threw open Jongin's lid to hug him. He was immediately enveloped by the strong arms he recognized and loved so much. Kyungsoo was so overwhelmed with joy that he didn't hear the aggression going on behind him.

He didn't hear Sunni's, "Get down!"

He didn't hear the gunshots.


This just in: Anarchists are attempting to overthrow the government. There are many casualties on both sides, and it is unclear what will happen at this point. There are also talks among Anarchists that they have already kidnapped hundreds of innocent citizens and brought them to other countries. It is currently unknown where the anarchists are holding our innocent citizens hostage. Some of the notable missing citizens that we presume have been kidnapped are the wife and son of Do XXX and son of Kim XXX. There are some reports that say the two young gentleman died amongst the struggle. More to come at 9.

No more news. Turning off his phone, he placed it upside down on the table and stared at his hands.


After Jongin jumped out of the box to hug Kyungsoo, the pounding of his heart in his ears prevented him from hearing anyone's screams. Then gunshots, Kyungsoo fell, Sunni fell, the blood. Jongin pressed his hands against Kyungsoo's gunshot wounds: one on his right thigh and the other on his right forearm. Stop the bleeding stop the bleeding stop the bleeding this can't happen.

Someone on the plane knocked the security guard out and took his gun while another person tended to Sunni's gunshot wound: one in her shoulder. Jongin sobbed for help; although, many of the passengers didn't want to help him since he was the reason they almost got caught. Jongin shook Kyungsoo slightly, "Hey, hey! Don't sleep! You're the one who's supposed to be the doctor, please! Help me, tell me what to do!"

Kyungsoo's eyes were open, looking down at his wounds, "Oh, . T-Tourniquet. Tie above... above the..." Kyungsoo's head fell back as he fainted from shock.

"Above the what?!" Jongin looked up at the rest of the passengers with pleading eyes for help until the woman that talked to Kyungsoo stepped up.

She kneeled down and tore off a piece of her shirt, tying it tightly above the gunshot wound on Kyungsoo's forearm. "Now do the same with his thigh with a piece of your shirt," she instructed. Jongin did just as she said.

Amongst all the action, the cargo hold was closed, and the plane began to take off. No one knew how long the plane ride would be, and no one knew if Sunni or Kyungsoo would make it.


2 weeks. It had been 2 weeks. Kyungsoo's mom safely met up with Jongin, and now they were just waiting. Waiting for Kyungsoo to wake up. Kyungsoo had been in a coma ever since they landed, and all Jongin did was stay by his side and hold his hand. Every once in a while he would switch out with Kyungsoo's mother so he could sleep.

Jongin found out that they landed in XYZ, a country neighboring the one they used to call home. There was no language barrier between him and the doctors as he discovers that the Anarchists have been shuffling people out of the country for decades. 

Another week passes, and the doctors still aren't sure when, or if, Kyungsoo will wake up. Jongin still holds out hope. He cradles Kyungsoo's hand as he watched the same TV drama in a language he doesn't understand for the nth time. Jongin sighs as he looks up at Kyungsoo, "Please wake up." He places a tender kiss to Kyungsoo's hand, "I love you. I can't live without you."

Kyungsoo's fingers twitch ever so slightly, and Jongin looks up to see Kyungsoo opening his eyes. The doctors are called in, and Kyungsoo's breathing tube is taken out. Kyungsoo coughs, immediately gulping down the glass of water they give him. After he sets down the cup, Jongin grasps Kyungsoo's hand once more, giving it another kiss before reaching up to kiss him on the lips.

Kyungsoo rasps out, "I can't live without you either."

fin.


AHHHHHH IT'S DONE I WROTE THIS ALL IN ONE SITTING SO SORRY IF I MADE MISTAKES IT HAPPENS! I really just couldn't leave this story the way it is. I was going to delete it, but I genuinely think I wrote something pretty okay lol

I started this fanfic when I was 14, and I'm now finishing it at 20. I'm a completely different person now, and this is probably going to be my last fanfic ever. I went back and edited some small things that were just flat out incorrect or bad if you want to see, but they aren't big changes. Also. I hate that I named the rebels "anarchists" but i guess teenage me really couldn't think of anything else i'm so sorry LMAO also idk a lot about medical stuff when it comes to blood loss and shock so if I got terminology wrong - don't come for me it's a fanfic

Anyways! I wish this story were longer and more fleshed out. If my academic life weren't so rigorous I think it would've been but alas :,) Don't copy this story idea btw I've had some people message me saying they were going to continue it on my behalf and uhhh I don't want that! (please let me know if you see anyone do that) I really take pride in this story idea, and if I decide to write a book or something in the future I'd like to expand on it more than what my dumb 14 year old brain could handle.

(I also might write an epilogue just to show what happens to the unnamed country everyone lived in and Kyungsoo and Jongin's new lives and also all the side characters and Kyungsoo's mom that my dumb 14 year old brain forgot to give a name to LMAO)

Thank you all so much for reading and sticking around for 6 years!

Instagram: @sab.grey

Twitter: @sabgdrey

Youtube: Youtube.com/SabrinaReyes

^ instead of writing fanfics now I sometimes write video essays and talk about serious stuff like asian ization in the kpop community! (check it out ^^~)