Chapter Two

Under the Moonlight

Tao inhaled slowly, his eyes closed. 

Please, let this all just be a horrible nightmare. 

He slowly opened his eyes and at that moment, he knew he had died.  Because the first thing he saw was a boy.  The boy was unfamiliar, but he was so inhumanly beautiful that Tao couldn’t help but stare. 

Everything about him was flawless.  Words couldn’t describe how absolutely perfect he looked.  To Tao, he had looks that even rivaled Sehun’s. 

Someone this attractive must be an angel.  And that’s how Tao knew he was dead. 

“W-Who are you?” he stuttered, blushing. 

The boy smiled.  “I’m Kris.  It’s nice to meet you, Huang Zitao.” 

Tao’s breath caught in his throat.  His smile and, oh gosh, his voice.  They matched his appearance spot-on.  “Nice to m-meet you, too, K-Kris.” 

Kris chuckled, but suddenly gave Tao a worried look.  “Are you okay, Zitao?  Usually spirits don’t look this…pale?  You look like you’re about to pass out.” 

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” he reassured him, and quickly stood up to face him after realizing that he had been lying on the road this whole time.  “It’s just that…”  He gasped.  “Wait.” 

“Hm?  Is something wrong?” 

“I’m dead,” Tao whispered.  Reality hit him like a slap in the face.  “I’m dead.”  His voice rose with every word he said.  “No, no, no.  No.  I can’t be dead.”  He turned his head and let out a strangled cry. 

“Sehun!” he screamed, running to his lover’s side.  “No, Sehun, please!  Please!”  It was the most horrible thing he’d ever seen.  Sehun, unconscious, was covered in blood and looked so fragile.  Tao turned to Kris, his eyes pleading for help. 

“Is he dead?  He can’t be…Please, we have to do something!” 

Kris looked at the couple sadly.  “Don’t worry, he’s not dead.  If he was, then he would be with us right now.  But I’m afraid there’s really nothing we can do.”    

Tears streamed down Tao’s face.  “This can’t be happening.”  He looked at his surroundings, causing him to cry even harder.  The two cars were horribly dismantled, and he could see the body of a middle-aged man, whom he assumed was the drunk driver, and his own. 

“I need to go back,” Tao gasped, running to his body.  The sight made him wince.  Every wound, every crushed bone, looked so painful, and Tao was surprised he didn’t remember feeling any of it. 

“Kris, you need to help me go back.  Sehun…” Tao whimpered.  “He’ll be so crushed when he finds out.” 

“I’m so sorry, Zitao,” Kris frowned, his heart dropping for the other.  “Like I said, there’s nothing we can do.  The lives of the driver and your precious Sehun don’t look so good right now, either.” 

“Don’t say that!” he growled.  “Sehun is strong.  He will survive.  I know he will.  But it’ll be harder for him to do it alone.  Please.”  Tao begged and begged.  “Please, I have to go back.  I don’t care about how much it’s going to hurt.  Just, please, please help me.  Tell me how to go back.” 

“There’s no way,” Kris sighed.  “I’m so, so sorry Zitao, I really am.  But your heart has already stopped.  You lost too much blood…it’s impossible to go back now.” 

“No, there has to be a way!”  

“There’s no way,” Kris repeated. 

Defeated, Tao fell to the ground and stared at his body in tears.  Then he crawled over to Sehun’s body and shook it gently, trying to get him to wake up.  He couldn’t move him at all. 

“It’s our anniversary!” Tao screamed.  “It was the best day of my life!  This can’t be…”  He turned to Kris.  “Can you at least call someone for help?” 

“Someone already reported it.  I hear an ambulance on its way.” 

Sure enough, loud sirens and flashing red lights came into view, and paramedics rushed out to pick up the three bodies. 

“This one’s dead,” one said, rolling Tao into the ambulance.  “Hurry and get the other two to the hospital.  They still have a chance.” 

Tao turned to Kris with a tear-stained face, wide-eyed.  “We can go with them, right?  Can’t ghosts, like, go through walls and stuff?” 

If Tao hadn’t looked so heartbroken, Kris might have laughed.  “Of course.” 

And so Kris and Tao entered the back of the ambulance and rode with Sehun.  The whole ride, Tao was holding his hand, praying that he would be all right. 

It didn’t matter that there would be a barrier between them.  Even if they could both be together if Sehun did die, Tao would never be that selfish.  He loved Sehun too much for that; he knew that he had such a bright future ahead of him.  He didn’t want it to slip away. 

When they finally arrived at the hospital, the paramedics rushed Sehun in straight into the operating room.  As fast as they could to save his life. 

Tao was about to step inside the room, but Kris stopped him gently.  “Wait.” 

He looked up at the taller questioningly.  “What?” 

Kris chuckled softly.  “I don’t think you should.  I mean, you don’t need to see…that.” 

Tao frowned, but nodded.  He knew Kris was right; it wasn’t the best idea to see all of his boyfriend’s severe injuries and go through a life-saving operation.  It could be very traumatizing. 

---

The time passed by slowly.  The two were in the exact same place they had been when they first arrived (outside of the operating room).  About an hour in, Tao started to cry again, and he couldn’t stop. 

“Hey,” Kris said softly, gently wiping away his tears.  “Don’t cry, Zitao.  Just hope for the best.  He’ll be able to get through this.” 

“Please, don’t just say that,” Tao moaned, raising his voice.  “You can’t just say things to make me feel better, because what if it doesn’t happen that way?  What if the doctors can’t do anything to save him?!  What if…what if…”  Tao broke into more sobs, unable to say it. 

What if he dies? 

Kris suddenly pulled him into a hug, surprising him.  “I’m so, so sorry Zitao.  I didn’t mean to make you upset.” 

The younger would have pulled away immediately under normal circumstances, but Kris’s warm embrace was too comforting to give up.  He continued to sob into his shirt. 

“Please don’t cry anymore,” Kris continued, lowering his voice down into a whisper.  “I feel so stupid for what I said.” 

“D-don’t feel stupid,” Tao hiccupped.  “Y-you were j-just trying to h-help…” 

The other sighed sadly, pulling away and looking Tao in the eyes.  “Look, I’m not so sure if you’ll believe me or not, but I have a pretty good feeling that Sehun will live.  And I’m usually right about these kinds of things.  But you don’t have to believe me if you don’t want to.” 

Tao closed his eyes and hugged him again, leaning his head on his chest.  He somehow found the taller’s soft, deep breaths comforting. 

Kris hugged back, indescribable feelings running through him.  He felt the need to protect the other, and he absolutely hated seeing him cry.  He felt as if he would do anything just to prevent it. 

After a few moments, Tao looked up at Kris, tears no longer streaming down his beautiful face.  He smiled for the first time since he had died, and although it was really small, Kris could feel his nonexistent heart flutter. 

“Okay, I believe you.” 

“Okay,” Kris breathed.  “Good.” 

“Thank you, Kris.  So much.” 

“Always, Zitao.”  Kris grinned.  “That’s why I’m here.” 

---

 

 

A/N: Yes!  Chapter two is upppppp~!

Lol and btw I am just like a kid.  so i really have no freaking idea about car accidents or what happens in hospitals, so please don't judge!  And yeah i decided i ain't proof reading cuz laziness and yeah xD so I hope you enjoy!

THANK YOU TO MY SUBSCRIBERS AND PLEASE SUBSCRIBE IF YOU HAVEN'T! TELl ME WHAT YOU THINK TO FAR AS WELL IN THE COMMENT SECTION! 

And also...TAORIS AND HUNHAN WILL BE SOON TRUST ME. haha please don't be mad...but the story has to be like this at first before it gets interesting haha.  but yeah they will come VERY SOON so don't worry.