All Eyes On Us

Against The Rules

The day was peaceful, a lazy day really. The sun was so high up and burning that barely anyone went outside. Baekhyun stayed inside too, just lying around on his bed all day, trying to stay cool. It was Saturday anyway so he had nowhere to go. And Chanyeol was right next to him. As he almost always is lately.

It was getting harder and harder to find one without the other. Be it in the forest or Baekhyun’s room. A few times it was even Baekhyun who went over the fence. Chanyeol taking him to see the campus that looked even more in ruins from the inside then the outside but still, with how Chanyeol was talking, it was a home. More than he can say about his own campus. It did look cozy though. Even as it was close to collapsing it still had a cozy feeling to it. The rooms did too. They were smaller than theirs and had to be shared but they were nice still.

Chanyeol’s roommate was a guy named Chen. Baekhyun didn’t meet him because he was sleeping but Chanyeol said he is nice so he was hoping he will get the chance one of these days. Chanyeol’s friends were like family to him, and for someone who never knew a family like that, with only love keeping them together, Baekhyun really wanted to meet them. It was all arranged marriages and duty on his side of the fence.

As it is now even, with only silence between them, Baekhyun was thinking of far more dangerous things. His mind has been buzzing since he heard his friends a week ago, and with what happened the previous day he had to act fast if he wants his plan to work.

Because he is sure someone is following him now. Leaves don’t rustle with no wind in sight. It may be an animal a first few times but after the tenth it’s time to stop denying it and face the truth. And the truth is that someone is close to finding out about them. And that means he doesn’t have much time if he wants to make it.

“Chanyeol, if I asked, would you run away with me?“ He spoke for the first time in hours, looking up at the ceiling rather than his boyfriend when he did.

The other stilled for a second at the question, a hand that has been running up and down Baekhyun’s side ceasing movement, he was not expecting that. It was just a second before he propped himself up on his elbows so he can look down at him. “Are you asking?”

 Beakhyun couldn’t answer that. He wasn’t sure himself. But he was sure that there is a big chance that he will be asking soon. “I don’t want to stay here. To become a guardian, it seems like the worst life there is, if it can even be called that. But if we run and go through the forest…Maybe we can actually make it. So if I asked. Would you?” He finally looked at Chanyeol as he repeated the question, wanting to know his answer because it may decide his own.

Chanyeol didn’t even think before answering, voice strong and true, just like his gaze that still rested on the other. “I always would.”

Hearing it the other let out a breath he didn’t even notice he was holding and finally relaxed. “Okay. Okay.”

The red haired one didn’t pry further. He didn’t ask what this was about or if Baekhyun was okay. Because he knew that he wouldn’t ask this unless something was up. And he’s not stupid. Chanyeol too noticed someone was watching them. So it was a completely different question that left his lips a little while later when they relaxed into each other again. Baekhyun in Chanyeol’s arms just like he always was because it was the only place he felt safe. Only with Chanyeol making him be so.

“What about your friends?” The deep voice was hushed. There was no need to be louder. They were in their own bubble after all. “You care about them too much to leave them. Would they come too?”

“If they want.” Baekhyun answered honestly. Not knowing what they would say was the only thing keeping him here still. If he knew they would say yes he would have asked already. But the truth was that even after that conversation a week ago he was still unsure. They could still say no. And he didn’t know what he would do then. Run away with only Chanyeol probably anyway, but still. His friends were the only family he had too. Other then Chanyeol of course. “We could all run away. Your friends and mine. All together. With all our powers we could make it, don’t you think?”

“We definitely could.” Chanyeol answered and Baekhyun smiled. They can make it. If only his friends say yes.

“We could run away.” Baekhyun said, slightly in awe because they really could. They can stop dreaming and wishing and just do it. Just run. Be free.

So he went to thinking. Thinking of a way to bring it up to Kyungsoo and the others. And fast at that. He just needs the right time. And then they will say yes and they could all run away. They could live a life of their own. Without rules and restriction. They would obey no one. So Baekhyun tried to think of a way to make them say yes. That’s all he needs. Just a yes.

 

Two days passed and Baekhyun still didn’t ask. He couldn’t find the right time and he was running out of it. A day before he couldn’t meet with Chanyeol because he could see people following him. They weren’t so inconspitious anymore. Which means they knew and just needed proof. So they couldn’t meet. And it was the first night he spent alone in a long time. It was awful and he barely go any sleep but at least they are safe for just a little bit more.

Or so he thought until he was cornered.

“Byun Baekhyun?” Asked one of the three men in white, an official uniform of a guardian. And suddenly Baekhyun’s heart sank. Time’s out.

“Yes.” He answered after a second, trying to not show any fear and keep his cool. If he learned anything in this school it was how to pretend and put on a good facade. So he did.

“We need you to come with us.” Another said sternly and Baekhyun’s heart went to overdrive. If he does what he’s told he will be banished or worse. If he comes it will take away all and any chance he has to run away with his friends. With that thought he got mad at himself for not asking them when he could because there is nothing he can do now. It’s three against one. How can he run?

“No.” He said in return and did the only thing he could think of, bringing his hands up and blinding them before they could react. Willing up the strongest light he ever did. And then he was running. Running as fast as he can because he knows they will come to too quickly, and they will be right behind him when they do.

So he ran back to the school, trying to remember where everyone should be and thanking everything that it were after school hours so there were not a lot of people around. He couldn’t have been more lucky than that because he would have been caught already otherwise. But he wasn’t so he ran even as his legs started hurting because he can’t afford not to. Not now. He disobeyed and there is no way they will only banish him now. If he doesn’t want to be killed he has to run. Run and not look back.

Baekhyun could already hear footsteps running after him, echoing through the empty halls and he tried running faster but there was no more faster. He couldn’t run faster.

Luhan’s words echoed in his head though. The library. He told him they will all be at the library after school. The black haired boy could only hope they were still there as he opened the doors too forcefully and closed them with a bang before leaning on them, trying to catch his breath and calm his rapidly beating heart. But the bang echoed too much. If they were close enough they may have heard it and he can’t afford that. But what if they did? What if they were closer then he first thought?

“Baekhyun?” Sehun’s voice carried to him and he almost laughed from the sudden feeling of relief it got him. Because they are still here. He still has a chance so he opened his eyes again, not even remembering shutting them. And he could see them all when he did. Kyungsoo, Kai, Sehun and Luhan. All there. All looking at him. There was one more pair of eyes on him though, but he had no time to worry about the unfamiliar boy. Not when he could hear footsteps outside again along with shouting. They were looking for him and there were more than just three now. He has to do this fast.

“Run away with me.” He ended up blurting it out, too scared and in too much of a rush to ease into it. Everyone around him was shocked now and he knew he had no time for them to finally find their voices again and bury him with questions so he just went on with explaining. “They are after me and I’m going to run. So will you guys go with me? This is the only chance we have. The only time we can actually escape and make it. But only if we go right now. So are you going?”

They looked at each other and Baekhyun could hear them all almost right outside the door. He was already calculating how long of a run it would be if he jumped out of the nearest window when Kyungsoo spoke up. “We’re in but what about Suho?”

At the mention of the boy they all turned to the one Baekhyun has never seen before. Suho it seems. He was staring back with wide, almost scared eyes but didn’t even get the chance to speak before Kai appeared next to him from across the room and put an arm over his shoulder. “Well it seems you have no choice but to come with us now. Really nice meeting you by the way. Seems we will spend a lot of time together to get to know each other better. Now are we going?” the last part was directed towards Baekhyun, who could only nod before quickly crossing the room to get to Kai, as did everyone else.

Once they were all firmly attached to Kai by an arm Baekhyun told him where to teleport; at the very edge of the forest. Knowing he wouldn’t know any place in the forest to be able to teleport directly there. So the edge of it was close enough.

Just a second before they all teleported from the room Baekhyun could see the doors handle turn. And all he could do was hope that they still had enough time.

He almost fell when his feet hit solid ground again, not able to keep his balance yet but he expected it. It wasn’t the first time Kai teleported them, so they all did. Suho however didn’t so he did actually fall. But they had no time to just stay there no matter how short, so him and Luhan quickly pulled him back up and they all ran. Not even asking any questions when Baekhyun made there be light and ran ahead. They just followed. Just like he knew they will.

Some stumbled on their way to the tree but Kyungsoo helped those out quickly, shifting the ground slightly and disabling them to actually fall. When they did get there Baekhyun stopped, Sehun and Luhan collapsing to the ground almost immediately to catch their breaths, the other three not that far behind but still staying upright and instead leaning onto the surrounding trees for support. Baekhyun had no time to catch his breath like the rest though; he already had his phone at hand and was dialing a familiar number.

“Baek.” The deep voice reached his ears after only three rings and he was never happier that the other always answered his calls quickly.

“Run away with me?” He was still breathless and his site was getting a little woozy but he still managed to get the words out.

“Always.” Came the answer before the line went dead and Baekhyun knew he understood. Now all he had to do was wait. Hopefully not too long though. They can’t afford to wait too long.

“Who was that?” Luhan asked from where he was on the ground.

“My boyfriend.” Baekhyun answered honestly, breathing and finally calming down a little. And again, all eyes were on him. “Don’t look at me like that. You guys get to date and I don’t?”

“It’s not that. You just never told us.” Sehun replied, seemingly getting as curious as Luhan was next to him. Always the same with those two. Baekhyun had to fight not to roll his eyes.

“You’ll see why I didn’t in a minute. Just give me a chance to catch my breath because we’ve got a lot more running to do.”

They all groaned at that but said nothing more. Because he was right, they all need to get back enough strength to run again. They were all now being chased after all.

The silence that followed was soon broken by the rustling of leaves from their right, signaling someone was coming. They were all up and already ready for combat or flight when a deep voice boomed through the rest of the trees that were remaining between them in the darkness. “It’s us Baek.”

And just like that Baekhyun was running again, just this time towards the person that just stepped out into the light next to a nearby tree, followed by five more. It wasn’t the time to look at them all closely though. Not with guardians on their tail so all Baekhyun had time for was a quick hug before he was pulling away again but still stayed close enough to be able to touch Chanyeol because he was safe. That was his reassurance that everything will be alright.

“We will have time for introductions and explanations later.” He said as he saw the looks of confusion and shock his friends had. That will have to wait. “Right now we have to hurry because they are surely not that far behind.”

“Only two point seven miles.” Kyungsoo chipped in and it was more than enough to get them all running again. All twelve of them now. Guided safely by Baekhyun’s light.

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow okay a lot happened here. Sorry for the wait on this chapter, I’ll try posting the next sooner. Also I hope you liked this and will comment and upvote maybe too. I love hearing your thoughts. So please do comment below.